Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

BigRed0427 posted:

OH poo poo! The expansion unlocks in an hour according to Steam! :neckbeard:
Where do you see that on Steam? I don't see that, but I'm not clear where to look.

EDIT: nevermind: I see it's on the _store_ page for the expansion. But if you already ordered it or activated the game, one would not be looking there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

nnnotime posted:

Where do you see that on Steam? I don't see that, but I'm not clear where to look.

The store page for the expansion.

Available: November 11th, 2013
This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never got the nerve to complete one game on classic as soon as poo poo hit the fan completed a campaign, even though I had the game since launch. I still want to get the expansion, but it feels like...cheating...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

nnnotime posted:

EDIT: nevermind: I see it's on the _store_ page for the expansion. But if you already ordered it or activated the game, one would not be looking there.

I want the game so badly, I keep re-reading the description on the Store Page. I know, I'm weird and might have a problem.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

zylche posted:

Pretty sure we'll be getting ours on the 15th.

gently caress you all :argh:

In Australia, Steam says the 15th.

gently caress that's annoying. Why the hell should we be penalised for living somewhere good?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

I never got the nerve to complete one game on classic as soon as poo poo hit the fan completed a campaign, even though I had the game since launch. I still want to get the expansion, but it feels like...cheating...
No, it's not cheating. The expansion bolts on more content to the original game. It should make the game easier (based on some reviewers), or more challenging, depending on your abilities.

I would go ahead and purchase it.

d-whee
Jun 10, 2006

This isn't nearly as bad as it looks.
Just got my game working again and did my terror mission. No casualties, despite only a colonel squadsight sniper and a handful of squaddies deployed. Colonel snipers are amazing.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So after a short break once I completed my classic playthrough, I decided to give impossible a try to get an idea of the difficulty.

Soooooooo saving every country is simply something that cannot happen, right? I just finished my 2nd abduction missions on the first month and I already have 4 countries in max panic. Wow.

Theoretically, its possible but requires near perfect luck.
This is more of a technicality. In the vast majority of games its not going to be possible even with perfect play.

Dirk Dingleberry
Mar 21, 2001

Support your local privateer
Very smooth association of new GMG-purchased key in Steam, hopefully further downloads will be smooth after midnight.

Finished my 2nd Classic Ironman run last night, with a few second wave options, including new economy, not created equal, and hidden potential. You can get some really interesting stat soldiers, though I lost many with such potential... I have been ending up with high aim supports a lot.

I accidentally started up an Ironman Impossible game before that run. I realized something was up when sectoids weren't dying, stuck it out for a brutal early end, after hitting the alien base to try to reduce panic with B-team decently equipped rookies (and failing badly). I think it helped my game, as I was super paranoid and careful the next run on classic.

Dirk Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 12, 2013

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Coq au Nandos posted:

In Australia, Steam says the 15th.

gently caress that's annoying. Why the hell should we be penalised for living somewhere good?

If it's so good then why aren't you going to be playing XCOM in 20 minutes? :smug:

And don't bother replying, I'll be too busy playing to read it (assuming I don't get shot, which is likely).

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

You can save every country on impossible with two different strategies and sufficient luck in month 1. It's definitely not a sure thing though.

You can do it with an early alien base, or with satellites. You cannot do it without committing very hard to one or the other and you need to go all in before you can tell if the game is going to cooperate with your chosen approach. Assuming you pick correctly and make it out of month 1 intact and on program, it's pretty easy to pull it together in month 2 and 3. One of the biggest problems actually with EW I/I runs is that the difficulty is so frontloaded that you just lose and restart them a bunch, then the stars align and you get to the midgame and mostly from there it's a matter of technique to close out the win.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Photosynaesthesias posted:

I'm still kind of on the fence about getting EW,

You can take a giant robot suit and rocket-punch a sectoid into a car so hard that the car explodes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Deuce posted:

You can take a giant robot suit and rocket-punch a sectoid into a car so hard that the car explodes.

Honestly this should just be the title of the thread

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So Enemy Within unlocks for NA East Coast in like 2 minutes, right?

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Provided Steam is telling the truth, it should.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

I sure hope so. Otherwise I'm gonna be up even later.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

'nother patch incoming. The expansion, presumably.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Store page seems to think it's out now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Says it's unlocked, I'm verifying integrity.

It just downloaded a 9MB patch so I'm guessing that's the unlock key. Here goes!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
ITS HAPPENING

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Vengarr posted:

ITS HAPPENING

drat I wanted to say it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Deuce posted:

As soon as a video pops up of this happening to a thin man, the game will break all records for day 1 sales.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It keeps saying Enemy Unknown when I start up :ohdear: I WANT MY SPESS MEHREENS

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
What the hell. It downloaded the 4 gig patch earlier, and now it claims it needs to download 7 gig. :stare:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So about that 500mb DLC prediction...

(another 7.2GB just started)

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Vengarr posted:

ITS HAPPENING
Maybe it's just me, but I do not see anything happening, yet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
...I'm getting a 7.2 gig download now.

Arrrgh.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

nnnotime posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I do not see anything happening, yet.

Restart your Steams.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

It's only 50.8MB for me.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What the gently caress, now it has to download more poo poo. gently caress I have to get up reasonably early tomorrow. It's saying 40 god drat minutes.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Vengarr posted:

Restart your Steams.
Ok, now I get an update. I had tried a few times before my post. But at least there is the additional patch I predicted...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, four hours to finish. It may as well be a midnight release then.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

50.8MB for me too yeah.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Fintilgin posted:

What the hell. It downloaded the 4 gig patch earlier, and now it claims it needs to download 7 gig. :stare:

At least the earlier patch probably just overwrote currently existing stuff.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ernie Muppari posted:

At least the earlier patch probably just overwrote currently existing stuff.
Here's a diff if anyone's curious: http://78.129.218.249/xcom.html

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
7.2 gig download what the gently caress.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Got a 50mb patch but still no new content haha.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Chalk me up as another guy with a 7 gig download :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Restarted steam and got the 50.8 megabyte patch. I don't know what the gently caress.

• Locked thread