Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yo, does anyone know exactly what you need to get past that punk in the Lost Hotel? He says something about not having enough style but I don't know if he's just talking about my character's outfit (like that chick who gives you the Pangoro hat) or that hidden style stat I hear people talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Scrap Dragon posted:

Yo, does anyone know exactly what you need to get past that punk in the Lost Hotel? He says something about not having enough style but I don't know if he's just talking about my character's outfit (like that chick who gives you the Pangoro hat) or that hidden style stat I hear people talking about.

You need to find all the rollerblade girls who teach you tricks in Lumiose. There's probably better guides out there but if you click the ? to see all my posts I had an mspaint map of the City that should have most of them (the blue dots), although I missed one standing outside in the north boulevard.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Scrap Dragon posted:

There are four rollerbladers scattered about in Lumiose City. Talk to them and they'll teach you rollerskating tricks and if you know them all, then you'll be stylish enough.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Dumb question: There's no way to do 6 vs. 6 battles with strangers on the internet, right?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I hang out at a local game cafe that deals mostly in card games, but they are considering doing some competitive play for Pokemon X/Y and I'm trying to help them out. I know the usual standard rules (like no legendaries), but I want to try other forms of play. There's one idea I want to present to them and want to share with you all to see if we can make this work.

The name of the game is Pokemon Commander.

Rules:

* The player's part consists of 6 pokemon, one of which are legendary. Any legendary is acceptable, but only one legendary is allowed in the party.
* The player wins if they make their opponent's legendary pokemon faint, regardless of how many non-legendary pokemon are still active.

Now the first thing that comes to mind is "Well, I'll just use my remaining 5 guys then the legendary last". I want to add some rules to make things interesting. Here's 2 ideas

* When the legendary pokemon is not in play, it must be put into play within 4 turns.
* When one of your regular pokemon faint, the next pokemon to go out must be the legendary and you cannot switch pokemon for two turns (I'm considering allowing moves like U-turn or other party switching moves to be legit, but I am not sure at the moment.)

I'm considering making pokemon with Arena Trap or anti-switching moves illegal but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions to make this idea run smoothly?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

animaCartographer posted:

You can, but I havent been getting it, and about 50% of my chespins come out with overgrowth as their abilities. That eggmove note is something I didn't know however, so thank you for that info.

Nature != Ability. There is no item that guarantees ability.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Waffleopolis posted:

I hang out at a local game cafe that deals mostly in card games, but they are considering doing some competitive play for Pokemon X/Y and I'm trying to help them out. I know the usual standard rules (like no legendaries), but I want to try other forms of play. There's one idea I want to present to them and want to share with you all to see if we can make this work.

Rules:

* The player's part consists of 6 pokemon, one of which are legendary. Any legendary is acceptable, but only one legendary is allowed in the party.
* The player wins if they make their opponent's legendary pokemon faint, regardless of how many non-legendary pokemon are still active.

Now the first thing that comes to mind is "Well, I'll just use my remaining 5 guys then the legendary last". I want to add some rules to make things interesting. Here's 2 ideas

* When the legendary pokemon is not in play, it must be put into play within 4 turns.
* When one of your regular pokemon faint, the next pokemon to go out must be the legendary and you cannot switch pokemon for two turns (I'm considering allowing moves like U-turn or other party switching moves to be legit, but I am not sure at the moment.)

I'm considering making pokemon with Arena Trap or anti-switching moves illegal but I'm not sure.

Seems like the focus would be to just make a dope rear end Poke that can OHKo the first Poke and then hammertime the poo poo out of the legendary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Dumb question: There's no way to do 6 vs. 6 battles with strangers on the internet, right?

You could challenge passerbys to a battle over and over until one accepts. Other than that, no.

Waffleopolis posted:

Rules:

This sounds awful in basically every way. The only way I can think of to salvage this idea would instead do rotation battles where the team's legendary must always be in play. That wouldn't require a bunch of obscure rules that must be self enforced while at the same time not really making for any interesting strategy.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 12, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Waffleopolis posted:

Rules:

Yeah what exactly is the point of this cause it sounds bad and lame. Just go with Rotations like Internet Kraken said.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

Rules:

Yeah, this seems really dumb. Why all the extra rules? Why can't the winner just be the person who wins, rather than the person who kills the legendary first?

I think it would be more interesting if the other mode of play was a regularly changing gimmick. My fiance and I used to do a lot of gimmick matches back in DPP. Our first match, we had to use 1 first gen starter, 1 second gen starter and 1 third gen starter. Some other ones were just rolling for 6 different types that had to be present on our teams, all pokemon that start with the same letter, Christmas theme, and even one where we each were allowed to bring a single legendary.

I know some people who have had Gym Leader tournaments where everyone draws for a different type and creates a mono-type team.

I think something like that would be more fun for people who want to do more than just standard 1v1.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

edit: beaten

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Yeah I'll just trash it. It does seem a bit convoluted. I DO like the idea of Gym Leader tourneys with momo-type teams.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Mono type teams with one other-type Poke. Could it be a coverage Poke? Could it be a legendary?! WHAT COULD IT BE?!?!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Took a 4IV NidoranM (31/31/X/X/31/31) with Hustle and turned it in to a 5IV (31/X/31/31/31/31) Modest with Hustle. I think I'm getting the hang of this breeding for IVs thing!

Now to take an Adamant 3IV Sneasel (31/X/31/31/X/X) with Pickpocket and turn it in to a 5IV (31/31/31/X/31/31) Adamant with Pickpocket!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So Rotom can appear on Tuesdays in the shaking bins in the Lost Hotel, right? If I save reset near one, will it pop up eventually?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Waffleopolis posted:

Rules:

I'm sorry, but I can't see anything good coming out of mixing Magic: The Gathering and Pokemon.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Why isn't there a battle setting where the types advantages/disadvantages were reversed? That one NPC in Anistar(?) I fought definitely had the right idea.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pollyanna posted:

I'm sorry, but I can't see anything good coming out of mixing Magic: The Gathering and Pokemon.

Yeah, isn't a big part of commander that you can re-buy your commander if it dies? That's kind of impossible in Pokemon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Thwack! posted:

Why isn't there a battle setting where the types advantages/disadvantages were reversed? That one NPC in Anistar(?) I fought definitely had the right idea.

Being able to do Inverse Battles normally would be pretty fun.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
gently caress that NPC. That was the closest I've ever been to loving my poo poo up to an NPC.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Being able to do Inverse Battles normally would be pretty fun.

Normal type is so loving broken in that mode. It's like saying, "What if we had Gen V Dragon type, except it hit three things super-effectively and was unresisted? And it has equivalents to Outrage, Brave Bird, and Dragon Pulse, plus a 102 BP drawback-free physical move and a (rare) 140 BP drawback-free special move? And also make Normal weak to only one type that it also hits super-effectively."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't care how horribly imbalanced anything in that mode is. It'd be amazing to play with a friend since there is no way either of us would be able to keep track of everything and it would become a horrible mess.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

No :( I thought there was and starting EV training and chain breeding in anticipation then realized the 6v6 stuff was only if you battle friends/passerby, random battles are only 6v6 if you do triple battles. The "Official" Nintendo tournaments are actually double battles for some reason, and a lot of the balance they put into new games is stuff targeted at double/triple battles. For whatever reason gamefreak themselves don't want to encourage the single battle 6v6 gameplay the main game is almost entirely made up of.

Also the random matchmaker with the 3v3 battles doesn't even ban stuff the Battle Maison does, you'll see Mega Mewtwo on half the teams.

Your best bet for what you're looking for is the Pokemon Showdown simulator unfortunately. I'm hoping that they change this when they release the Z version because it's a really simple fix.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

No :( I thought there was and starting EV training and chain breeding in anticipation then realized the 6v6 stuff was only if you battle friends/passerby, random battles are only 6v6 if you do triple battles. The "Official" Nintendo tournaments are actually double battles for some reason, and a lot of the balance they put into new games is stuff targeted at double/triple battles. For whatever reason gamefreak themselves don't want to encourage the single battle 6v6 gameplay the main game is almost entirely made up of.

I can understand why they would make double battles the de facto mode of play for their tournaments. As much as I enjoy 6v6, it is a much slower game type than doubles, and it can lead to some unsavory strategies when you don't enforce sleep or evasion clause. Whereas in doubles, it's all out offense all the time. The battles are shorter and more enjoyable to watch for the average spectator.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Silver Falcon posted:

Make sure the female has the ability you need. Females pass down their ability 80% of the time.

So that's why practically all my Yanmas were hatching with Compoundeyes instead of Speed Boost when I was breeding. Which is fine by me as I wanted Yanmega with Tinted Lens but I thought it was pretty odd that I only got like a handful of Speed Boost ones the entire time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I hope someone online bites my 4 IV Adamant Torchic with Speed Boost for a Yveltal.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
If I want to be able to play competitively and/or complete my Pokedex, how vital is it that I own any of the previous generations of games to transfer Pokemon over?

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Pollyanna posted:

I just randomly got Pokerus out in the field :woop:

How do I retain this so I can spread it around other Pokemon later? Does it have an expiration date or something?

Any chance you could trade me a 'mon that is still contagious with it?

Also, if I was looking to make an eeveelution team for fun online, is following the Smogon move/EV/nature spread a good enough option?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, what happened?! I did a trade with a guy I'd traded with before... and when I backed out after three trades, I was met with a black screen. So I hit the Power button and hit the Home button... but now the 3DS is frozen on the "Home Menu" screen... or rather, the "Home Menu" name on the lower screen and otherwise white screens. The power button isn't responding and putting the 3DS to sleep isn't working.

Am I hosed? Is my 3DS bricked or something? How do I fix this? I have 140 hours and over 450 Pokemon in my 'dex. Did I just lose them all? :cry:

E: vvv Holding down Power didn't do squat for me. I had to close the 3DS, eject the Pokemon X card, then I got a black screen telling me to hit home. I did and it finally went. Popped X back in and things seem to be okay. Holy poo poo, that was a bad thing to happen at this hour. That poo poo isn't good for the heart, man!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 12, 2013

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

If I want to be able to play competitively and/or complete my Pokedex, how vital is it that I own any of the previous generations of games to transfer Pokemon over?

Pretty vital for completing the dex since some Pokemon are completely unobtainable in X/Y even when Friend Safaris are taken into account. You can complete the three regional dexes but not the National without previous games.

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh god, what happened?! I did a trade with a guy I'd traded with before... and when I backed out after three trades, I was met with a black screen. So I hit the Power button and hit the Home button... but now the 3DS is frozen on the "Home Menu" screen... or rather, the "Home Menu" name on the lower screen and otherwise white screens. The power button isn't responding and putting the 3DS to sleep isn't working.

Am I hosed? Is my 3DS bricked or something? How do I fix this? I have 140 hours and over 450 Pokemon in my 'dex. Did I just lose them all? :cry:

That's really weird, a while ago I was adding someone from the trading thread and hit the power button in the friends list to turn the 3DS off, but when it faded out it froze on the black screen instead of going to the usual "Power off or sleep mode?" screen. Pressing the home button didn't do anything and pressing the power button again didn't do anything either. I held down the power button for about ten seconds or so and that seemed to finally turn it off, and I didn't have any problems with it when I played it later, but it was really weird.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's really weird, a while ago I was adding someone from the trading thread and hit the power button in the friends list to turn the 3DS off, but when it faded out it froze on the black screen instead of going to the usual "Power off or sleep mode?" screen. Pressing the home button didn't do anything and pressing the power button again didn't do anything either. I held down the power button for about ten seconds or so and that seemed to finally turn it off, and I didn't have any problems with it when I played it later, but it was really weird.

Mine's done that twice with Pokemon so far. Seems fine, though.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Just ask in the trade thread when bank is released. I know I had a commplete dex in White 2, and there's bound to be a few others that can pop out a Spheal or whatever you'd need.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Christo posted:

So I've been thinking of how moves like Trick-or-Treat and Forest's Curse might be used in double battles. Who do you think would benefit the most from having ghost or grass type tacked on? I thought Bisharp might make a good recipient of Trick-or-Treat considering he'd become immune to fighting which is normally a 4x weakness, but other than that ghost typing doesn't really help much (and actually cancels out some of the resistances it gets from steel and dark).

Give it to a bulky Normal-type like Blissey for 3 immunities and only 1 weakness :getin:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What on earth are you supposed to do with Shiftry again? Attack's higher than Special Attack, but he's got gently caress-all for physical moves. Gets Payback but he's base 80 speed, which isn't too crap, so he's probably faster than the opponent. Seems like a case where you ignore the higher stat, EV train the lower one, and go from there. What should I be breeding for, nature-wise? And move-wise, I guess.

This applies to Ludicolo, too. I got a Modest one out of my first round, but the guy in Kiloude says her Special Attack is absolute poo poo. :mad: I want my dancing pineapple duck back.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ChibiSoma posted:

This applies to Ludicolo, too. I got a Modest one out of my first round, but the guy in Kiloude says her Special Attack is absolute poo poo. :mad: I want my dancing pineapple duck back.
Ludicolo's amazing, defensively. Especially in rain. Water/Grass is a great typing. Just... not so much on the offense.

Edit Or Swift Swim Sweeper.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not
Did a Wonder Trade and the guy's message was "Need A DuskStone" so I threw one on a Vivillon and tried to initiate trade 3 or 4 times and the request timed out each time.

On the incredibly slim chance that "MIKE" is one of you guys: sorry MIKE, I tried.

Tonesy
Apr 15, 2004

QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE QUAGSIRE
So I had this weird idea where I'll name all my Pokemon I plan on wonder-trading my irl friend's name, in hopes that someone will look him up on facebook and be weird. So far I've sent out probably around a hundred with no results yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tonesy posted:

So I had this weird idea where I'll name all my Pokemon I plan on wonder-trading my irl friend's name, in hopes that someone will look him up on facebook and be weird. So far I've sent out probably around a hundred with no results yet.
Now I'm tempted to get a Tangela, so I can start wonder trading them, but name them George/Barbara Bush first.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

The Leper Colon V posted:

Ludicolo's amazing, defensively. Especially in rain. Water/Grass is a great typing. Just... not so much on the offense.

Edit Or Swift Swim Sweeper.

I love Ludicolo. You can have him as a fantastic staller with Rain Dish, Leftovers, Leech Seed and Giga Drain or you can sweep hard with swift swim. I built mine to stall, but he has huge problems against grass and physical attacks he's weak to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

ChibiSoma posted:

Ludicolo @Leftovers
Rain Dish
252 HP split the rest in defense and special defense
Protect
Leech Seed
Toxic
Rain Dance

Got my friends to build pokemon specifically to take it out or neutralize it. Make sure you have something with fire or psychic in your squad, because anything poison, steel, or grass type laughs at it, and Venusaur renders both of its status effects useless.

• Locked thread