Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

A Retardet Horse posted:

I, too, was waiting to see if the S60 would get heavily discounted on black friday. But then I ran out of willpower and it's going to be delivered this Thursday. This will probably be a nice upgrade from our 19" Toshiba that we've been using for the last 5 years.

Which leads to my next question: that old TV had a built-in dvd player, whereas the S60 does not. I was wondering if there is a good recommendation for a new DVD player to pick up that would be compatible with the S60. Or, if this is not the right thread for such a question, which thread would serve me better.

Edit: Or would I be better served to just get a complete "home theater" system? I'm currently trying to research both dvd players and sound systems, but it looks like there may be some items that combine the two.

A good recommendation for a DVD player is actually either the PS3, one of the new consoles, or the Sony BDP-S5100; all of which will play Blu-Rays and DVDs, though the PS4 will need a patch to give it the license to do so.

The recommended thread for audio equipment is this one: "Getting your first home audio system? Read this."
And like Personperson said, they'll recommend against a home theatre in a box. The Andrew Jones Designed™ Pioneer speaker set comes highly recommended for entry level speakers, and HDMI receivers can be had for as low as $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I'll 2nd the Andrew Jones speakers, I don't have them hooked up to my TV just my stereo, but they sound pretty great for the price range.

I just have some old 2.1 computer speakers hooked up to my TV actually because my room is too small for anything else, and compared to the TV's speakers they sound 100 percent better, so if you're on a super low budget and can't afford anything else, they'll do the job way better then the TV's built in speakers.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I have a 6 year old 32" LCD that I'm looking to replace in the coming weeks; I want to get something bigger, so it probably won't fit my current stand. How easy is it to mount a TV to the wall for someone who has never done it before?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I have a 6 year old 32" LCD that I'm looking to replace in the coming weeks; I want to get something bigger, so it probably won't fit my current stand. How easy is it to mount a TV to the wall for someone who has never done it before?

Pretty easy if you know how to use a stud finder and the basic tools. I did it pretty easily for my first time about a year ago. Just take your time and get someone to help you lift it at the end.

And make damnnnnn sure it's level.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
My current 46" LG sadly seems to be on it's way out. It's given us 6 years of good service but I'm sad to let it go. It has started, completely randomly, shutting itself off. Completely off - the red "TV is off" light doesn't even light and you can't turn it on if you try. A minute or so later it turns on again. Then, it might happen again every 30 seconds as you try to watch the LAST drat 10 MINUTES OF YOUR MOVIE, or it might not happen again for a week or longer. We took the TV to the shop and left it there for a week - it never turned off. We tried a new power cable, with/without surge protector, on a different power circuit, with no other devices attached - boo, nothing seems to help. It's really frustrating because everything else about the TV is great.

So, we are going to forgo birthday and Xmas presents this year and buy a new TV. We'd like: 1080p, 46"+, LCD, and adequate HDMI on the back preferably (I've seen some new sets that have cords sticking out the side of the screen - not a fan). We currently have 3 HDMI inputs and all are in use. Could buy a splitter, but would prefer not to downgrade on line ins.

We're planning on trying to take advantage of some Black Friday sale - we rented a bigger car that usual for our Thanksgiving trip up to Madison and are glad to take advantage of the brief escape from Chicago's 10% sales tax.

What TV should we get? (I see now that there is a second HDTV thread - if that's where I should post just let me know!)

EVG fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 11, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's your budget? You have a lot of options with those specs.

(And no, this is the right thread.)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

EVG posted:

So, we are going to forgo birthday and Xmas presents this year and buy a new TV.

Seems like kind of a waste. Have you considered donating to a racist hotdog stand?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Shine posted:

Seems like kind of a waste. Have you considered donating to a racist hotdog stand?

As tempting as that sounds, I think we're set on the TV. I was going to buy my husband a PS3 (since we don't have a blu-ray player yet either) but if the TV isn't working, that's kinda pointless. We both have Holiday birthdays (End of November for him, mid-January for me) so might as well get something we'd both use.

I forgot to include a price range. Something in the $700-$900 range would be lovely but I just don't know what is reasonable these days for a quality set.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've been noticing the fan noise on my 5-6 year old samsung series 5 LCD has been getting really noisy, hoping that isn't a sign of upcoming demise.

Anyone have a similar issue before? Wondering if it is just dust buildup and if I can vacuum it out or something.

Otherwise the TV has been rock solid.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just want a small TV (32" would be nice) for my kitchen. I don't have cable so I just want to be able to stream everything on my computer/over hulu or something if possible. Any recommendations? I haven't researched TVs in a long time so I'm not really sure where to start.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
So sad to see Panasonic plasmas go. I absolutely love my ST60 and was hoping to upgrade to a bigger model in a year or two. For anybody on the fence i would absolutely recommend it, even more so now that they are stopping production, no way to get the same picture quality under $2k in the near future.

edit: I use mine as my primary monitor as well and screen burn in isn't really a issue, maybe some mild image retention if you've been browsing for hours but all it takes is a few minutes of full screen content or the scrolling bar and it is gone.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 11, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I just want a small TV (32" would be nice) for my kitchen. I don't have cable so I just want to be able to stream everything on my computer/over hulu or something if possible. Any recommendations? I haven't researched TVs in a long time so I'm not really sure where to start.

Samsung has the UN32EH5300 (2012) and UN32F5500 (2013); both of which have Wi-Fi, DLNA, and smart apps.

Lynchman
May 18, 2004

Welp, my 57" Sony rear projection is finally on the fritz. I need something equal or bigger in size, prefer non 3D, smart features(hoping for WiDi). Open to suggestions as this is the only TV I've ever had, purchases circa 2002.

Lynchman fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 12, 2013

iHaveNoImagination
Jun 16, 2006
grandpa always said "If you ain't folding winning hands, you are playing too many"

Lynchman posted:

Welp, my 57" Sony rear projection is finally on the fritz. I need something equal or bigger in size, prefer non 3D, smart features(hoping for WiDi). Open to suggestions as this is the only TV I've ever had, purchases circa 2002.

I have almost the same question but my tv is a 52" lcd projection...

A Retardet Horse
Dec 25, 2009

what is
going
on?
what is
this?
ahhhh...

Mister Macys posted:

A good recommendation for a DVD player is actually either the PS3, one of the new consoles, or the Sony BDP-S5100; all of which will play Blu-Rays and DVDs, though the PS4 will need a patch to give it the license to do so.

The recommended thread for audio equipment is this one: "Getting your first home audio system? Read this."
And like Personperson said, they'll recommend against a home theatre in a box. The Andrew Jones Designed™ Pioneer speaker set comes highly recommended for entry level speakers, and HDMI receivers can be had for as low as $200.

Thanks for the advice! It's been a while since I've had to look for anything along these lines, so I'm glad that I checked here before just blowing money on a "home theater" instead of buying the sound system separately. I'll definitely turn to that thread when it comes to getting sound set up.

As far as the player, I don't really have the budget to start buying bluray. What are the thoughts on "upconverting" dvd players? Do they actually do what they claim? Or is that just a load of bull? It looks like the current one getting the best reviews is the Sony DVPSR510H. This one.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Blu-ray isn't what is was a few years ago. Most of the disc are pretty cheap and you can get great deals online and even in stores. I wouldn't bother with an upconverting player. You could get a decent Blu-ray player that still upconverts DVD's in that same price range and you could just buy Blu Rays as you went along.

A Retardet Horse
Dec 25, 2009

what is
going
on?
what is
this?
ahhhh...
Would you not bother with an upconverting player because it doesn't do the job it's supposed to do? Spending an extra 60 dollars on a player followed by another 10 dollars a disc on every movie I buy from now on doesn't sit that great with me. I know that blu ray is the new great thing, but I just want something that can play the dvds I've got now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I wouldn't bother with an upconverting DVD player because the 360, PS3, and PS2 Slims can already do it; and if your player can't the TV's software will- to match its native resolution.
The advantages in Blu-Ray players is that they can handle upconverting DVDs, and so much more:
- Streaming apps (Netflix, NHL, MLB, etc.)
- 2D -> 3D conversion
- Wi-Fi
- DLNA support for PC streaming
- Media playback through USB (iPod, thumbdrive, etc.)

As a personal anecdote, it's not like you have to replace your entire DVD collection once you get an HDTV. I'm only buying Blu-Rays for "must have" films in my collection; leaving the rest, and streaming any movie or show I don't plan to buy- which will be most of them from now on.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 12, 2013

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

NihilismNow posted:

So sad to see Panasonic plasmas go. I absolutely love my ST60 and was hoping to upgrade to a bigger model in a year or two. For anybody on the fence i would absolutely recommend it, even more so now that they are stopping production, no way to get the same picture quality under $2k in the near future.

edit: I use mine as my primary monitor as well and screen burn in isn't really a issue, maybe some mild image retention if you've been browsing for hours but all it takes is a few minutes of full screen content or the scrolling bar and it is gone.

Is the input lag as bad as parts of the internet are making it out to be?

I was pretty much set on getting an ST60 myself, but then Amazon dropped the price of the LED-based ET60 considerably. The picture quality isn't on the same level, but the input lag is better and it's passive 3D (I'm concerned about eyestrain from the active glasses on the ST as well).

Either TV will be a massive upgrade from my old Dell w3707c, I'm just torn between which to get.

Edit: I should add that my living room is fairly dark--a point in favor of the plasma.

JAF07 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 12, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So, I just updated the Black Friday HDTV thread in Coupons & Deals.

Check this out.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So, I just updated the Black Friday HDTV thread in Coupons & Deals.

Check this out.

http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Kmart/Ad?page=7

The way that page (p. 7) is laid out, makes me think that that the Panasonic listing/price is a mistake. I think that's supposed to be a listing/price for a 51" Samsung.

Edit: If it's not a mistake, pardon me while I sledgehammer out some drywall in my living room to make room for the Panasonic.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 12, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hmm, when I mouse over that second row of TVs I get this on the right:

I guess we'll have to see if that gets verified or corrected.

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys

JAF07 posted:

I was pretty much set on getting an ST60 myself, but then Amazon dropped the price of the LED-based ET60 considerably. The picture quality isn't on the same level, but the input lag is better and it's passive 3D (I'm concerned about eyestrain from the active glasses on the ST as well).

Either TV will be a massive upgrade from my old Dell w3707c, I'm just torn between which to get.

Edit: I should add that my living room is fairly dark--a point in favor of the plasma.

fwiw 60ST60 delivered today, I've only played a bit of gta 5 on 360 and don't really notice any lag.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Hmm, when I mouse over that second row of TVs I get this on the right:

I guess we'll have to see if that gets verified or corrected.

That's bfads' overlay, not KMart's. On Blackfriday.com the Panasonic doesn't show up at all. Not to mention that's the non-doorbuster section, which means the Panny would be that price Thursday, Friday and Saturday. To good to be true, I think. :smith:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

If I have a PS3, is there really any need to have a Smart TV? It seems neat but pretty unnecessary if you already have a way to stream things. I guess the only benefit would be the ability to watch ESPN3/streaming on the big screen.

I also posted this in the Coupons thread, but is there a consensus best 60" or bigger TV in the $1200 or less range for Black Friday?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mons Hubris posted:

If I have a PS3, is there really any need to have a Smart TV? It seems neat but pretty unnecessary if you already have a way to stream things. I guess the only benefit would be the ability to watch ESPN3/streaming on the big screen.

Strictly speaking no, but 'smart' features are so commodity - and thereby so pervasive - at this point that you'd be doing yourself a disservice performance/quality-wise by excluding smart TVs from your search.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Dont think that a tv is $1500 vs $1200 because it has smart features. Its more expensive for other reasons. Smart TV poo poo is basically free.

Dont not buy a tv because its a smart tv.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Got it. I was just asking because at first glance it looks like a lot of the Black Friday deals aren't Smart TVs (but maybe they're just not listed as such in the ads).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is that Samsung a significant downgrade from the Panasonic S60? I mean, it's $250 cheaper, which is an obvious bonus, but is the S60 worth the extra cash in terms of picture quality/stability?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is that Samsung a significant downgrade from the Panasonic S60? I mean, it's $250 cheaper, which is an obvious bonus, but is the S60 worth the extra cash in terms of picture quality/stability?

It's not 1080, I asked about that panel a page ago and was cautioned that I'd be very silly to buy a 720p 51" TV in 2013.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone ever bought an open-box discounted TV from Best Buy? The one near me has quite a few Panasonic S60s for $600 or less.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

cbirdsong posted:

Anyone ever bought an open-box discounted TV from Best Buy? The one near me has quite a few Panasonic S60s for $600 or less.

I have three older Pioneer plamas purchased from Best Buy from 2007. All were open box and saved my family tons of money back then. They all still run with no issues, burn ins, or speaker crackling.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

JAF07 posted:

Depends on how critical you are of such things, appearently input lag is around 70ms which is not so good for rhytm games or competitive fighters/shooters. In Kerbal Space Program i really don't notice any lag.
As for 3D: I use it a lot less than i thought i would. I've watched 1 movie with the shutterglasses, there is some eyestrain, certainly more than in the cinema. Mostly though i just watch Blu-rays and am astounded by the ammount of detail you can make out in the dark parts of the image.

Just to give you another thing to add to the comparison: Keep in mind that passive glasses effectively cut vertical resolution in half (540p instead of 1080p). Though appearently the ST60 cheats anyway and alternates between showing 540p and 1080p frames or something

quote:

In a nutshell, this output mode means that in the duration of one video frame, Panasonic plasma 3DTVs are effectively switching between 1080p and 540p at high speed (Panasonic internally refers to this as “Single Scan 3D”, although their marketing division has never made the distinction, instead choosing not to confuse matters and referring to all of the displays as “Full HD 3D” – albeit with a subtle disclaimer

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Can somebody tell me anything at all about Mitsubishi's last models of DLP, specifically the WD65638? I want a big inexpensive TV, and really want to avoid LCD if I can.

I can find 2011 Mitsubishi 65" models for $300-400 on Craigslist all day long, and if they're reliable enough I almost think that I'd be happy enough with it as a budget option compared to the 65" S60. I have the space for it, want better blacks and colors than LCDs in my price range have, and really like watching my friend's Sony 60a2000 from 2007. Are there any pressing reasons why I should avoid rear projection?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

cbirdsong posted:

You got 30 days to return it. Buy one and take it home.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mitsune posted:

I have three older Pioneer plamas purchased from Best Buy from 2007. All were open box and saved my family tons of money back then. They all still run with no issues, burn ins, or speaker crackling.

The centerpiece of my parents' living room is a big loving Pioneer plasma that's gotta be about 10 years old at this point, still runs like a charm. For all of the troubles that people have and had with plasmas, I feel like that thing is going to outlive me. They haven't had to repair it once.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

You got 30 days to return it. Buy one and take it home.

It's actually down to 15 days now, unless you're in some kind of nonsense loyalty program.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Any opinion on the Samsung UN60F7100? Its the best Black Friday ad sofar that I like.

My last TV purchase was a 32" LCD piece of bullshit about 8 years ago so I have a hard time judging any upgrade in quality. I want to at least try 3D poo poo to see if I like it. And it seems to have a nice set of Smart features, with a game mode and pretty low display lag. Only downside is its not on sale for that much off the regular price :shrug:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

It's actually down to 15 days now, unless you're in some kind of nonsense loyalty program.

Right now you actually have until jan14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I really don't want a big LCD TV and had a hard time finding a good price on the biggest S60 or ST60, so I ended up buying a 65" Mitsubishi DLP 2010 Model from a guy who bought it in Feb 2011 according to the receipt. I know these things are not known for reliability and it's on its first bulb, but the guy bought a transferable Best Buy 4 year warranty with 15 months and supposedly they cover the first bulb. We'll see how it goes when I make that claim soon.

After getting it home and unpacking it, I'm pretty happy. Black levels are good, motion is great, and colors seem pretty natural and accurate if far less saturated than all the really glossy displays out there. For $280, my big-rear end second hand DLP should be able to satisfy me until OLED 50" become available to smaller budgets. Model is WD-65638 if anyone else wants to share DLP advice.