Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Vib Rib posted:

That's part of why I liked the Story of Red Cloud (sandbox) so much: none of those really badass items you could get were on super rare drops, but on kill progression. And you could still get rare drops which would save you some time by giving you an intermediary item, so you could still feel lucky, but it was never prohibitive like this.

And then you get to super hard mode and it turns into 1.2. gently caress Red Cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I'm going to go against the general sentiment and say there are enough easily accessible powerful options that the super rare drops are more like a nice bonus if you happen to luck into them and totally unnecessary to play the core game.

Mushroom Spear is a great melee weapon and easily obtained, Megashark for ranged, and Golden Shower for magic. If you needed the dungeon chest uber weapons to progress then yeah it would be bullshit, but you don't at all.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Additionally, most of the cool items pre-hardmode come from chests, which you can't really do in hardmode. I suppose Mimics serve the purpose chests did pre-hardmode, maybe Redigit could do more with them.

The rare drops on the key moulds really should be changed to something else, I do agree with that. The other rare drops are okay, I think, since their drop rate isn't anywhere near as low for the most part.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I feel bad for everyone who can't get the molds, it didn't take much time at all for me to get all of them. Usually they dropped while I was grinding for other stuff.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I think that up until Plantera, Hardmode has ok progression. You have the hardmode ores, which you can mostly ignore or farm depending on your playstyle, the 'basic' soul weapons (including Golden Shower, Crystal Storm, and the Dao of Pow) that are easy enough to gather the components for, and Frost Armor which is a guaranteed drop from each golem. You can assemble the basic wings from harpy feathers if you don't get a frost feather from ice golem farming. It won't take too long to get some of the best mimic accessories if you're committed to running back and forth on your hellbridge with a water candle in hand for a bit. That's more than enough to handle at least one of the hardmode bosses.

Once you can reliably kill the Destroyer or Twins, you can easily assemble Hallowed equipment, which allows you to farm chlorophyte, which opens up Chlorophyte, Turtle, and Shroomite equipment (although Turtle will take some farming). Once you beat Plantera, even Spectre equipment isn't too difficult to make.

The problem is that the best-of-the-best equipment (Vamp Knives, Nimbus Rod, Magnet Sphere, Inferno Fork) are really tough to get, but they're totally unnecessary until you're ready to face the Pumpkin Moon.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The problem is that the best-of-the-best equipment (Vamp Knives, Nimbus Rod, Magnet Sphere, Inferno Fork) are really tough to get, but they're totally unnecessary until you're ready to face the Pumpkin Moon.

Nimbus rod isn't that hard to get, it's just getting lucky with Angry Nimbus spawns when it's raining. I got my nimbus rod before I killed any Hardmode boss.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I'm going to go against the general sentiment and say there are enough easily accessible powerful options that the super rare drops are more like a nice bonus if you happen to luck into them and totally unnecessary to play the core game.

Mushroom Spear is a great melee weapon and easily obtained, Megashark for ranged, and Golden Shower for magic. If you needed the dungeon chest uber weapons to progress then yeah it would be bullshit, but you don't at all.

It's not the fact that the game is too hard without the drops, it's the fact that people (myself included) resent having to do endless tedious grinding to access all the content of our singleplayer game. I know I CAN win with golden shower and the megashark, but I want to mess around with all the stuff. Getting the rare drops isn't difficult, it's just incredibly boring.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Man I hope you guys never want to 100% complete one of the GBA/DS Castlevanias. Terraria has nothing on them when it comes to rare drops.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

legoman727 posted:

And then you get to super hard mode and it turns into 1.2. gently caress Red Cloud.

Super Hard Mode is reaaaaally bullshit, but I don't think it makes how fun it was throughout Normal and Hard not count. gently caress, if you find that you really hate SHM, which is fair, just pretend the game ends after the final boss of Hard. There's still plenty of content there.

I really like Red Cloud, I hope Tim makes it fully 1.2 compatible in the future, even if he doesn't actually change anything. I really end up missing some of the new QoL improvements that 1.2 added, even though Red Cloud has MUCH better and more fun progression (until SHM).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Man I hope you guys never want to 100% complete one of the GBA/DS Castlevanias. Terraria has nothing on them when it comes to rare drops.
As someone who 100%ed Aria, at least that game had ways to up the drop rate.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dumb question: If I get to the bottom of the map, is it safe to step off blocks and onto the bottom? Or is it a bottomless pit?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I 100%ed all of them and I wouldn't even think about loving around with grinding in Terraria but that probably has more to do with being older and having less free time than the game itself.

Although I did get the mats to make an AFK farm this morning so

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

ConfusedUs posted:

Dumb question: If I get to the bottom of the map, is it safe to step off blocks and onto the bottom? Or is it a bottomless pit?

I haven't tried it since before 1.2, but it should still be safe. Much the same as standing on the upper edge of the world with a gravity potion in effect.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SourceElement posted:

I haven't tried it since before 1.2, but it should still be safe. Much the same as standing on the upper edge of the world with a gravity potion in effect.

I haven't tried that either!

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.
I can confirm it works in 1.2. You just stand on nothing. (Lava and water drain out through the hole to nowhere, though.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I haven't tried that either!

Hitting the top with a gravity potion automatically re-flips you.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

The Leper Colon V posted:

As someone who 100%ed Aria, at least that game had ways to up the drop rate.

This is the answer. Make a consumable that boosts the drop rate or make it an accessory prefix. Like 2x, 3x, 4x on the prefixes and 5x for the consumable or something.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

FraudulentEconomics posted:

This is the answer. Make a consumable that boosts the drop rate or make it an accessory prefix. Like 2x, 3x, 4x on the prefixes and 5x for the consumable or something.

This would be a good middle-ground.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Aside from the Wall of Flesh kicking my rear end, I just noticed, is that the skynet laser sound they used for his attacks?

Also, Is there any item out there that lets you swim around lava permanently? Other than that Ironskin potion.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Nothing for permanent, but there are accessories that give you up to seven seconds of lava exposure before you start to take damage.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The only appropriate weapon to use with the alien costume is the bladed glove.

It's not a weapon, but also try Spooky Hook with that outfit. It matches perfectly.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hellevator complete! Started straight under my house. Only hit two pockets of lava on the way down, and I was able to easily pour water down the shaft to make it into obsidian.

Hit a massive pocket of ruby and sapphire. About 30 of each.

I went ahead and threw rope down it the whole way, because sliding down the rope doesn't seem any slower than falling.

Question: in the jungle, I found a structure. It is surrounded by orange bricks that have faces on them. I can't mine through even with my crimtane axe. I found a door but it takes a key. What is this? Where do I get the key?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

ConfusedUs posted:

Question: in the jungle, I found a structure. It is surrounded by orange bricks that have faces on them. I can't mine through even with my crimtane axe. I found a door but it takes a key. What is this? Where do I get the key?

It's a Jungle Temeple made from Lihzahrd blocks. The key drops from Plantera, so you won't be getting in for a while.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's a Jungle Temeple made from Lihzahrd blocks. The key drops from Plantera, so you won't be getting in for a while.

And by "a while" he means "near the very end of the game", so yeah. The blocks can only be mined from a the best pickaxe, found inside (with some luck).
You lucked out, some people have a hard time finding the temple.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

Aside from the Wall of Flesh kicking my rear end, I just noticed, is that the skynet laser sound they used for his attacks?

Also, Is there any item out there that lets you swim around lava permanently? Other than that Ironskin potion.

There's a rare gold chest item (cavern level, 2.5% occurrence) called a Lava Charm that grants 7 seconds of immunity to lava. You can replenish the timer nearly instantly by jumping back out of the lava. You can also craft Lava Charms into Lava Waders, and the immunity stacks, for 14 total seconds of immunity at a time. Really useful for exploring the lower cavern / underworld when you're starting out, but after that there's not much reason to waste an accessory slot on them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

qnqnx posted:

You lucked out, some people have a hard time finding the temple.

Early on, I just went with the caves. Now that I have more stuff than I know what to do with, I tend to explore with more purpose and direction. I'm not afraid to just tunnel straight through solid ground for a bit to help find hidden caves and stuff.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I've gotten to the point (pre-hardmode) where I just duped a couple chests full of sticky bombs and dynamite. I don't even bother using my pickaxe anymore. I am terminally lazy.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

ConfusedUs posted:

Early on, I just went with the caves. Now that I have more stuff than I know what to do with, I tend to explore with more purpose and direction. I'm not afraid to just tunnel straight through solid ground for a bit to help find hidden caves and stuff.

Spelunker potion is great stuff to help you out. It uses gold ore and moonglow but it's worth it.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

There's a rare gold chest item (cavern level, 2.5% occurrence) called a Lava Charm that grants 7 seconds of immunity to lava. You can replenish the timer nearly instantly by jumping back out of the lava. You can also craft Lava Charms into Lava Waders, and the immunity stacks, for 14 total seconds of immunity at a time. Really useful for exploring the lower cavern / underworld when you're starting out, but after that there's not much reason to waste an accessory slot on them.

I wish you could craft the Frostspark Boots with the Lava Waders, and have one Ultimate Boot Accessory.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Doesn't the obsidian skin potion give absolute immunity to lava? I swear I remember swimming around through hell to mine out hellstone, but that was a longass time ago so my memory is likely imperfect.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Dana Crysalis posted:

I wish you could craft the Frostspark Boots with the Lava Waders, and have one Ultimate Boot Accessory.

I wish I could put the Lucky Horseshoe on my Bundle of Balloons, for the Ultimate Wings-free Jumping Experience. :( I know Wings or the Jetpack negate fall damage, but I hate how they give my character a backpack, and change the physics of jumping!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dana Crysalis posted:

:goonboot:

I'd go for that as well, because it weirds me out a little bit when I'm wearing both. Like, am I wearing one on each foot? Does one pair go on my ears? Or my hands? Maybe I'm wearing a pair like they're knee-pads. :iiam:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I'm gonna have to take on the pumpkin moon soon. Even though I should probably send another world to hardmode + farm a few more uber traps first. Oh god.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Dana Crysalis posted:

Well sure but can you keep jerky in it?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

crestfallen posted:

I'm gonna have to take on the pumpkin moon soon. Even though I should probably send another world to hardmode + farm a few more uber traps first. Oh god.

You don't need to farm any traps. Make a wood platform to stand on like 10 blocks above some flat ground and use Spectre Armour + Cross Necklace with whatever other accessories. Nimbus Rod + Inferno Fork and you're good to go. Easy to get to wave 15 if you have menacing accessories.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I don't and I probably don't have enough money to ensure I can get them. I'll probably end up giving it a shot after a while anyway.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Is there a less-insane way to make tunnels through sand than taking all the sand out manually? I'm trying to dig a kickass tunnel from one end of the world to the other, and I dredge-and-replaced my way alll the way to when I started dumping my ocean into the dungeon. Oops. Then I tried using actuators to pull sand back, then mining underneath. That causes all the sand above to rapidly vanish into nothingness. I can make my way through with minimal water getting in that way (like 5 blocks worth per block over, I can manage that) but losing all that sand means lots of time with a sand gun and necro armor, or LOTS of time with an antlion.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Why is it still raining/are enemies still spawning inside my new gigantic tree fort even though it's all enclosed and lit? Don't tell me it's because of the pattern in the glass wall, because that is more than I am prepared to deal with right now. I'll have to go out and buy an NES controller so I can throw it at the wall in frustration.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Paco de Suave posted:

Why is it still raining/are enemies still spawning inside my new gigantic tree fort even though it's all enclosed and lit? Don't tell me it's because of the pattern in the glass wall, because that is more than I am prepared to deal with right now. I'll have to go out and buy an NES controller so I can throw it at the wall in frustration.

Yeah, it ain't anywhere close to being enclosed. You probably ought have looked up the rules for what counts as an indoors space if you wanted to leave holes in your backwalls.

e: You might get it to work if you fill in every missing backwall line intersection. The remaining segments look like they'd be at most 4 blocks long.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Ornedan posted:

Yeah, it ain't anywhere close to being enclosed. You probably ought have looked up the rules for what counts as an indoors space if you wanted to leave holes in your backwalls.

e: You might get it to work if you fill in every missing backwall line intersection. The remaining segments look like they'd be at most 4 blocks long.

I looked up the wiki pages for glass walls before I made it, all of the pictures use a pattern like that or smaller. You'd think they would mention something about it.

See: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Glass_Wall

• Locked thread