Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Does your chip support VT-d? If so disable it in the bios or put the -x option (safe mode) in when chimera lets you choose the boot device. I had to do that with my Haswell i5 4570S install to get past the grey screen. If you want to keep using VT-d (it's a processor virtualization thing, good if you're using virtual machines) you'll want to add this dart=0 flag after everything is installed: https://github.com/tkrotoff/Gigabyte-GA-Z77-DS3H-rev1.1-Hackintosh/issues/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GokieKS posted:

The first part would be of dubious legality, but if you eventually end up on a version of OS X that you paid for, it's not really a major moral concern IMO.
Running OSX in a VM is exactly as morally dubious as running on a hackintosh. Just saying.

Also, VT-d is basically useless unless you're planning on passing PCI/PCIe devices straight through to your VMs (really unlikely). It does nothing else. Don't confuse VT-x and VT-d. You should just disable VT-d.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

evol262 posted:

Running OSX in a VM is exactly as morally dubious as running on a hackintosh. Just saying.

I was referring to the downloading a distro to install onto a VM part.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GokieKS posted:

I was referring to the downloading a distro to install onto a VM part.
Granted, but it's against the EULA either way, and Makericks is free, so the "I paid for a copy" argument doesn't hold much water these days.

Not that I think EULAs hold moral weight or are really enforcable, but "you can only run OSX on Apple hardware" has always been the agreement. You can run JunOS, Cisco IOS, z/OS, and a lot of other operating systems whose copy protection is basically obscurity and limited hardware support, too, but Apple v. Psystar is pretty clear legal precedent, and it's against the DMCA whether you're Hackintoshing it or running in a VM. It's either moral and ethical to run it on a Hackintosh and a VM you download, or neither.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
IANAL etc. but Apple v. Psystar hinged upon them making a copy of the OS X installation on some kind of master server which cloned itself to every hard drive that they would then install into individual computers. The legality of the click-through EULA in the situation where you buy a single copy of OS X and install it onto a single computer was not addressed.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

~Coxy posted:

IANAL etc. but Apple v. Psystar hinged upon them making a copy of the OS X installation on some kind of master server which cloned itself to every hard drive that they would then install into individual computers. The legality of the click-through EULA in the situation where you buy a single copy of OS X and install it onto a single computer was not addressed.

The claim was DMCA related, not imaging (hence why Psystar's later attempts to sell a USB device were shut down), and specifically addressed copy protection circumvention, based on DSMOS.kext. That particular claim doesn't mean much these days, but Chameleon and Unibeast are subject to exactly the same precedent -- retail OSX doesn't work unmodified, and someone's put work in to bypass Apple's copy protection, which was/is the basis of their claim

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
It's taking a long rear end time but I'm starting to make progress.
I got a 10.9 USB install disk made using myHack and installed OSX to my second hard drive.

I still need to figure out why PS/2 isn't working on the HD installation and why GraphicsEnabler=No is required for it not to hang.
My PS/2 keyboard works in the install USB oddly enough.

I know the kexts are installed yet the keyboard stays dead so I can't finish installation.
Stuff to figure out tomorrow I guess.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

evol262 posted:

The claim was DMCA related, not imaging (hence why Psystar's later attempts to sell a USB device were shut down), and specifically addressed copy protection circumvention, based on DSMOS.kext. That particular claim doesn't mean much these days, but Chameleon and Unibeast are subject to exactly the same precedent -- retail OSX doesn't work unmodified, and someone's put work in to bypass Apple's copy protection, which was/is the basis of their claim

It kinda does work unmodified though, you can get a vanilla install going if you have an efi mobo. I mean, you gotta install a bootloader of sorts but it's kinda nebulous at that point, and it'll run without any added kexts, though sleep might not work.

Regardless, it's still technically a violation of the EULA. But I'm under the impression, especially in this post-Steve Jobs era, that Apple will take any name recognition they can get. I'm willing to bet that they don't care if you build a hack, because that introduces you to their ecosystem and makes you start thinking "Hey, I should buy an iPhone/iPad/Macbook, because OSX works so drat well!"

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

evol262 posted:

Granted, but it's against the EULA either way, and Makericks is free, so the "I paid for a copy" argument doesn't hold much water these days.

Not that I think EULAs hold moral weight or are really enforcable, but "you can only run OSX on Apple hardware" has always been the agreement. You can run JunOS, Cisco IOS, z/OS, and a lot of other operating systems whose copy protection is basically obscurity and limited hardware support, too, but Apple v. Psystar is pretty clear legal precedent, and it's against the DMCA whether you're Hackintoshing it or running in a VM. It's either moral and ethical to run it on a Hackintosh and a VM you download, or neither.

Mavericks is technically only free if you own and paid for (either directly for the OS or as part of a hardware purchase) a (relatively) recent previous version of OS X though - if someone who was running 10.5 wanted to upgrade, the official way that Apple wants him/her to do is to buy Snow Leopard (which is not free) first, then upgrade from there. So yes, from the perspective of EULA/DMCA both downloading a distro and making your own USB installer is basically the same. But morally (for however much that matters), I think that someone who downloads a full Snow Leopard distro to use on a VM to gain access to App Store to download Mavericks has less of a legitimate claim to obtaining Mavericks than someone who did pay for a previous version of OS X, as the spirit, if not letter, of the SLA for Mavericks is that it's available to someone who (legitimately) obtained Snow Leopard or above.

This is a a very silly argument though, as Apple clearly doesn't care very much at all, and if someone really wanted to feel as justified in this whole Hackintosh thing as possible, they can simply just go buy a SL DVD for $20.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I still need to figure out why PS/2 isn't working on the HD installation and why GraphicsEnabler=No is required for it not to hang.

Macs haven't come with PS2 for many years, so you have to install the PS2 kext. myhack installer probably has those kind of kexts running.

graphicsenabler=no is normal, put it in your chameleon boot plist if it works right.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

It kinda does work unmodified though, you can get a vanilla install going if you have an efi mobo. I mean, you gotta install a bootloader of sorts but it's kinda nebulous at that point, and it'll run without any added kexts, though sleep might not work.
well!"
With Boot132 or a derivative because no non-Macs have a HFS+ EFI driver. There are no unmodified systems on which you can put in a retail ML disk and have it install without a HFS stub whose only purpose is installing or booting OSX against the EULA.

Apple doesn't care about enforcement because it's a very small market segment who probably wouldn't have bought a "real" Mac. I don't want to get into some position where I'm attacking hack users (I was one until a week ago), but it's not a grey zone.

GokieKS posted:

Mavericks is technically only free if you own and paid for (either directly for the OS or as part of a hardware purchase) a (relatively) recent previous version of OS X though - if someone who was running 10.5 wanted to upgrade, the official way that Apple wants him/her to do is to buy Snow Leopard (which is not free) first, then upgrade from there. So yes, from the perspective of EULA/DMCA both downloading a distro and making your own USB installer is basically the same. But morally (for however much that matters), I think that someone who downloads a full Snow Leopard distro to use on a VM to gain access to App Store to download Mavericks has less of a legitimate claim to obtaining Mavericks than someone who did pay for a previous version of OS X, as the spirit, if not letter, of the SLA for Mavericks is that it's available to someone who (legitimately) obtained Snow Leopard or above.
Funnily, this is due to Apple's accounting practices, and the same change which allowed them to give away OSX upgrades allows them to give away Mavericks. $20 was a "we have to charge you but would rather not" fee. Anyway, the "Mavericks is only free if..." argument is hard because new macs will obviously only come with Mavericks, which has never cost anything, but they're entitled to run it because they had SL or higher. It's a circular argument that buying a copy of SL and upgrading does nothing to dissuade, since you couldn't have a legal copy of SL on a non-Mac. There's no high ground. There's just hacks. Nothing wrong with that, but is what it is.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Demie posted:

Macs haven't come with PS2 for many years, so you have to install the PS2 kext. myhack installer probably has those kind of kexts running.

It likely does but it's weird how they're not getting loaded on my install, I know they're in /System/Library/Extensions but they're either not being loaded or there is more to the puzzle.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Demie posted:

Macs haven't come with PS2 for many years

Or ever. :P

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I'm so incredibly clumsy...
code:
rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions
It did me a favour though since I re-installed and the PS/2 keyboard worked right away.
I had to get a patched amd6000controller.kext to get any decent graphics up on my 6790 but at this time it's only using the software renderer.

So it's starting to work even if progress is a turtle's balls in January.

e:
Got it :)

PS. Love the cabin fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 4, 2013

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
It's all working perfectly now.
The only minor beef I have is the scroll wheel works so different from my Windows install.

It's like I have to scroll faster to move the same distance, like needing to accelerate or something.
I fiddled with the mouse control panel but it didn't fix anything.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012
Does anyone know what could cause Snow Leopard to be able to boot from an iBoot Haswell iso but find itself completely unable to boot from the HDD itself?

I've used TonyMacX86's instructions to install a legit copy of Snow Leopard, but have completely failed in finding a way in which to boot from the HDD (it goes to boot but gets stuck at a white screen with the grey apple logo, without the spinning thingo underneath it and I've unable to get past that no matter how many GraphicsEnabler=no, -x or -v's etcetera that I use).

Technical specs if it helps:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU: Intel i7 4770k
RAM: Corsair 16GB CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 (2x8)
PSU: COOLERMASTER Silent Pro GOLD80+ 800W PSU
SSD HDD: Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD 128GB
Ethernet/wifi: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800
No GPU added yet, I want to complete the upgrade to Mavericks prior to that (and should probably think money, too), but I can't even seem to install Snow Leopard properly.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Does anyone know what could cause Snow Leopard to be able to boot from an iBoot Haswell iso but find itself completely unable to boot from the HDD itself?

I've used TonyMacX86's instructions to install a legit copy of Snow Leopard, but have completely failed in finding a way in which to boot from the HDD (it goes to boot but gets stuck at a white screen with the grey apple logo, without the spinning thingo underneath it and I've unable to get past that no matter how many GraphicsEnabler=no, -x or -v's etcetera that I use).

The iboot DVD probably has kexts that aren't installed on your hard drive. Look at your -v boot log closely and see where it's failing.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Demie posted:

The iboot DVD probably has kexts that aren't installed on your hard drive. Look at your -v boot log closely and see where it's failing.

It's quite difficult to distinguish what kexts are being utilized when booting with the help of iBoot, but is there something that most people don't install in regards to kexts that aren't typically already added with EasyBeast?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Is your motherboard's SATA mode set to AHCI?

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Is your motherboard's SATA mode set to AHCI?

Yes. Chrome isn't exactly running smoothly within the system, either, if it helps. Sometimes the page "locks" into place and I can't scroll up or down. But I'm not stuck on that, I really just want to be able to boot from SSD and then upgrade later on.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I'm planning on building a budget windows machine/hackintosh with some low end gaming muscle.

I was hoping to use:

i5-3570k
GTX 660
GA-B75M-HD3 mobo.

Turns out the motherboard doesn't support overclocking, while the processor does. Could anyone recommend which simple-to-hackintosh board would support overclocking but without a large increase in price. The B75M is £50, another 10-20 I could stretch to, but I'm trying to do this on the cheap and the general 20% - 40% tech price increase for the privilege of living in England sucks already.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 12, 2013

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Funso Banjo posted:

I'm planning on building a budget windows machine/hackintosh with some low end gaming muscle.

I was hoping to use:

i5-3570k
GTX 660
GA-B75M-HD3 mobo.

Turns out the motherboard doesn't support overclocking, while the processor does. Could anyone recommend which simple-to-hackintosh board would support overclocking but without a large increase in price. The B75M is £50, another 10-20 I could stretch to, but I'm trying to do this on the cheap and the general 20% - 40% tech price increase for the privilege of living in England sucks already.

The only chipset that supports overlocking IVB CPUs is the Z77 (well, technically also Z68, but using that with IVB for Hackintosh is just more trouble than it's worth and a bad idea all around), and those boards are going to command a decent price premium over B75 boards. The GA-Z77M-D3H is the cheapest Gigabyte Z77, which may or may not fit into your budget (no idea about UK pricing).

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 12, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Yes. Chrome isn't exactly running smoothly within the system, either, if it helps. Sometimes the page "locks" into place and I can't scroll up or down. But I'm not stuck on that, I really just want to be able to boot from SSD and then upgrade later on.

For what it's worth my system has been doing this too ever since the upgrade to Mavericks. Never did it on Mountain Lion so I'm hoping it gets fixed with an update.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

GokieKS posted:

The GA-Z77M-D3H is the cheapest Gigabyte Z77, which may or may not fit into your budget (no idea about UK pricing).

Just to add to this, I have this board and it works fantastic with OSX.

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006
Hey guys, Just updated one of my builds to Mavericks, went well but I am having an issue with the sound that for some reason is solved by booting with UseKernelCache = No. Can anyone explain to me why this solves the problem? When I boot without the command the audio is distorted with horrible artifacts.

During multibeast I installed the Voodoo HDA 0.7.3 driver.
(on advice I found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-guides/79199-success-mountain-lion-10-8-2-asus-p7p55d-e-pro.html)

My build
Mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
CPU: Intel Core i7-870 2.94 GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660
8GB Ripjaws RAM

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

8ender posted:

Just to add to this, I have this board and it works fantastic with OSX.

Thanks, that's the board I've grabbed.

RAM-wise, I see a real variety in the forums over at TonyMac, and unlike the rest of the parts in their custo-mac section, they don't seem to have a list of RAM that is particularly compatible. I'm thinking of grabbing some Corsair Vengeance sticks, am I right in thinking that they don't recommend RAM because whatever will work ok?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Funso Banjo posted:

Thanks, that's the board I've grabbed.

RAM-wise, I see a real variety in the forums over at TonyMac, and unlike the rest of the parts in their custo-mac section, they don't seem to have a list of RAM that is particularly compatible. I'm thinking of grabbing some Corsair Vengeance sticks, am I right in thinking that they don't recommend RAM because whatever will work ok?

As long as they support your mobo and processor you are fine. I run Vengeance myself.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Funso Banjo posted:

Yes. Any DDR1600 (or above) and 1.5V (or lower) DDR3 will work fine, so anything from a reputable company (Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, G.Skill, Mushkin, etc.) should work fine.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
I would say that speed doesn't even matter, since plenty of macs that are supported by Mavericks came with 1333mhz or less.

decryption
Jun 23, 2005

Anyone using a Haswell Pentium (not an i3, etc.) CPU with Hackintosh? I've picked up a G3420 and a Gigabyte H81M-S2P mainboard and I'm having problems getting the Mavericks installer to start with Unibeast 3.0.1. When booting in verbose mode it loads up a bunch of files, loads the kernel, then just halts with the last message "XCPM: registered"

Happens in single user mode too :(

Anyone have any hints as to what I can do to try get around this?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm pretty sure if you want to use a CPU that wasn't packaged with a real Mac at some point you need a hacked kernel, and I'd imagine haswell is too new to have a hacked kernel available.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

I'm pretty sure if you want to use a CPU that wasn't packaged with a real Mac at some point you need a hacked kernel, and I'd imagine haswell is too new to have a hacked kernel available.

You need a hacked kernel for AMD CPUs because they have a slightly different instruction set (particularly SSE instructions) and Rosetta along with some other OSX core stuff makes use of SSE instructions that are only available on Intel's CPUs. As long as the microarchitecture (Haswell, for example) is supported on any Mac, the kernel will have support for it. Even without support, unless Haswell actually changes instructions from Ivy Bridge or the latest supported, the kernel will support it. Your issue then is chipset support.

The "HD 4200" graphics on that Pentium are probably unsupported.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 15, 2013

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
There's already some real Haswell macs out there that come with Mavericks, so that's not the problem. OS X is not too picky with intel CPUs, but I'm pretty sure that all real macs from this era came with at least an i3, so that might mean something. evol262 has a good point with the GPU, though. I'd toss a PCIE card in there and see what happens. Or fool with graphicsenabler/hdenabler flags.

decryption
Jun 23, 2005

Thanks guys.

I turned off the integrated graphics in the BIOS, then popped in an AMD 3450 and then a 5450 I had lying around, and used MyHack, as well as Unibeast, and the same issue occurs :(

Toggled the graphicsenabler options, no dice. I'm gonna grab an i3 CPU and see what happens, I think the problem comes from the fact no Macs have a "Pentium" CPU and something about them is different enough to make the kernel pause at the "XCPM: Registered" stage of booting.

At first I had a wild guess on the fact that the G3420 doesn't do Hyperthreading, where as all the other CPUs that Apple has used in Macs that Mavericks supports, do have Hyperthreading and that small change ruins everything. But Mavericks runs on the mid-2007 iMac, which has a Core 2 Duo CPU (T7300) that doesn't have Hyperthreading either. So I'm at a loss to know why it pauses at this stage.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I had a similar issue and got around it by using MyHack under an OSX VM, then I just created the USB installer and went from there.
None of the boot CDs worked otherwise.

I wonder if you bought a Snow Leopard disk and upgraded using MyHack once it was installed?
It's been around long enough that people have more than likely put out Haswell compatible kernels.

Soon I'll need to do it all over again after losing my OSX install due to HDD fuckery.

E:
I always needed GraphicsEnabler=No so if you haven't yet, give it a try.

decryption
Jun 23, 2005

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I had a similar issue and got around it by using MyHack under an OSX VM, then I just created the USB installer and went from there.
None of the boot CDs worked otherwise.

I wonder if you bought a Snow Leopard disk and upgraded using MyHack once it was installed?
It's been around long enough that people have more than likely put out Haswell compatible kernels.

Soon I'll need to do it all over again after losing my OSX install due to HDD fuckery.

E:
I always needed GraphicsEnabler=No so if you haven't yet, give it a try.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by using MyHack in a VM? I've got a legit Mac (an old one, running 10.7), which I used to make the MyHack USB installer. Would making the USB installer in a VM make a difference?

And yeah, GraphicsEnabler set to No doesn't do anything :(

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Sorry, I must've missed where you said you made a MyHack USB. The VM was just how I went about it without a real mac.
I don't know if you've tried this already but at least on my Gigabyte board I had to make sure it wasn't trying to boot in UEFI mode.

decryption
Jun 23, 2005

I went and grabbed an i3-4130 CPU and it all works well (besides the onboard graphics, which work, but don't support multiple resolutions and have some weird tearing/flickering when using Safari, but I was gonna use the AMD5450 anyways).

Avoid the Pentium Haswells for now, I guess.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

decryption posted:

At first I had a wild guess on the fact that the G3420 doesn't do Hyperthreading, where as all the other CPUs that Apple has used in Macs that Mavericks supports, do have Hyperthreading and that small change ruins everything. But Mavericks runs on the mid-2007 iMac, which has a Core 2 Duo CPU (T7300) that doesn't have Hyperthreading either. So I'm at a loss to know why it pauses at this stage.
There are still a lot of supported processors without hyperthreading, up to at least the Mid-2010 MBPs.

decryption posted:

I went and grabbed an i3-4130 CPU and it all works well (besides the onboard graphics, which work, but don't support multiple resolutions and have some weird tearing/flickering when using Safari, but I was gonna use the AMD5450 anyways).
This is the classic Hackintosh "1024x768 VESA garbage" mode that happens when you don't haver drivers.

decryption posted:

XCPM is for power states. Maybe the Haswell pentiums are missing one of the new states they added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

decryption posted:

Not bad. I used to run a 5450 with full QE/CI and everything, so you can fix that. But the Intel HD is probably better if you can get that working.

Demie fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 16, 2013

• Locked thread