Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Everywhere else on the planet it's Remembrance Day. The US used to call it that too, but then we needed more Support for Are Troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
We jes' couldna remember wot it was fer, is all.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Everywhere else on the planet it's Remembrance Day. The US used to call it that too, but then we needed more Support for Are Troops.

Well to be fair it's not like it's a recent development, the idea was first floated around right after WWII ended, and has been official for almost 60 years.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Got tired of calling it Armistice Day, gotta shake things up you know?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Is Remembrance Day not a holiday in Europe? Considering how much more attention people pay to it over there I'm surprised people don't get off work today. It's a federal/state holiday in the US so I get it off, but people barely pay attention to it. They probably would have taken it away from us if it wasn't for the fact the our stupid employee union would freak out and play the Are Troops card.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Galler posted:

You have a lot more date-awareness than I. The only reason I would know it's a holiday is if I had the day off or if someone had just told me. Even if I got an email about a moment of silence we have a 15 minute replication interval so I probably wouldn't get the message until it was too late or I would have been busy and missed it until it was too late.

E: Also I don't really "get" the concept of a moment of silence but I'll play along. I like being silent anyway.

Topic derail: It's more the fact that hey, look, some guy that was either conscripted or willingly put himself in harms way died/lost his arm fighting for Queen, country et al - and that it's a jolly good way of thinking about that.

With regards to the silence on 11/11 at 11:11, I don't tend to do that on that day exactly, as I prefer to do it on the Sunday - I am usually playing Airsoft then so it seems kinda more fitting, pretending to be soldiers then pausing and paying respects to the real deal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
As part of our new HQ buildout we're redoing a conference room. Based on the size I suggested a 60-70" flat panel since they like to hook up laptops and show people spreadsheets. Powerpoint looks fine on a 50" but Excel? No.

So Friday I get the news that my old boss has made an executive decision: two 50" screens next to each other, so he can use them like the two LCDs on his desk.

Except at his desk his laptop is in a dock that has two DVI sockets on it for driving those two screens. I have no idea how expects to do this in the conference room. The new flat panels he wants don't have VGA (most new models don't) so... I don't really know. He has DP on his laptop, but many don't. Some have HDMI, some don't. Not sure how I could drive both of them with just a single output, and for VGA laptops I'll need to get a converter of some sort for analog to digital.

If anyone has ideas on how to unfuck this idea of his I'm open to suggestions.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Not having a standardized laptop makes it more difficult, VGA to HDMI is a pain, it requires not so inexpensive converters. You are going to need something like http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=in1606ad&s=sl04

That does HDMI and VGA in and has two HDMI out so you can do two monitors, DisplayPort to HDMI is going to require a dongle.

THis would work as well, but you would have to add an HDMI Distribution amplifier as well to get the two monitor output.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/630497-REG/Kramer_VP_728_VP_728_9_Input_ProScale_Presentation.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/783585-REG/Kramer_VM_2HXL_1_2_HDMI_Distribution_Amplifier.html

I've had decent luck with both extron and kramer, google around though, lots of companies make presentation switchers and HDMI DAs

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 11, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Gunjin posted:

Not having a standardized laptop makes it more difficult, VGA to HDMI is a pain, it requires not so inexpensive converters. You are going to need something like http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=in1606ad&s=sl04

We have frequent guests as well, and there's the whole issue of having to drive two displays at once.

I expect most of the time we'll be using one display only and this setup will look terrible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

See if you can get him to buy the Barco ClickShare. It's an amazing piece of kit, and all resellers will happily ship you a demo unit.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Dick Trauma posted:

We have frequent guests as well, and there's the whole issue of having to drive two displays at once.

I expect most of the time we'll be using one display only and this setup will look terrible.

Read my edits, I'm slow at typing. The first one I linked does two HDMI outputs. You can also get ones with one output and get a HDMI video distribution amplifier (DA) to drive multiple displays.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, that is sort of a pain in the rear end. We did the exact same thing in our conference room and didn't do a very good job. We then brought in AV experts for a different conference room and it owns bones. There is a hardware module that was installed that has HDMI and VGA. That was installed right into the table. For DisplayPort users we had to purchase an DP to HDMI adapter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a modular system then it's entirely possible that you can get a DP module for it.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
You get something like this http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=hideawayhsa400&search=hsa%20400 with a module for VGA , HDMI, and displayport (you will need to go from displayport to HDMI somewhere under table via an adapter), run the cabling to your switcher (the extron I linked earlier should be able to be configured to auto detect which input is active so you don't have to manually switch between them) and you should be good to go.

There are a lot of ways to go about doing what you need, really you should contact a local professional and have them come in, it will cost more but they can tailor the solution to your space. I, and other people on the internet, can give you sort of a general guide, but if you want it to look good and function properly it's best to bring in a pro. I'd tell you to call my company, we've got engineers who specialize in doing exactly what you need, but if I recall you're in the pacific northwest and we only work in the central VA area.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 11, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Pro's are definitely worth the money if you want it to look professional for customers. Also then it will "just work" and the IT department won't be responsible for all gently caress ups.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
To be fair, IT will still get plenty of calls. I'm dedicated onsite A/V support and video production, and 99% of my calls are from people who can't figure out how to either plug in their laptop or the function command to clone the display if it fails to do so automatically.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a pro A/V vendor available but with people like my old boss randomly throwing poo poo into the mix it makes things much harder.

I'm checking with the Clickshare people first because our CEO loves wireless everything, and it removes the direct connect issues of which ports are available on the laptop.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For what it's worth I had the ClickShare for about a week and gave it to groups of people who previously caused no end of issues with being unable to use conference rooms, as well as external users with laptops issued by other companies. I had no support calls at all regarding the product, and only missed out getting a purchase approved because they didn't want to spend £3000. In my eyes it's worth its weight in gold for being an answer to the all-too common question of "why can't you just make it work all the time?".

When nothing is connected it shows instructions on the screen for how to use the little pucks, it's very well polished.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
A user just asked me to make it some that Lync 2010 doesn't remember their password. Because he may forget the password which we use for literally every in the company, from logging in, to e-mail, to website login info.

So I can do a bunch of registry nonsense so that Lync doesn't remember, or he can upgrade to Office 2013 (which manages caching better) like we have been pressuring them to do. Guess which one he picked.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

A user just asked me to make it some that Lync 2010 doesn't remember their password. Because he may forget the password which we use for literally every in the company, from logging in, to e-mail, to website login info.

So I can do a bunch of registry nonsense so that Lync doesn't remember, or he can upgrade to Office 2013 (which manages caching better) like we have been pressuring them to do. Guess which one he picked.

Deploy the lync 2010 gpo adm. Problem solved.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Our everything's-a-crisis firefight-mode CTO wants unrestricted sudo on our live PXE box so he can check up on the work his people are doing.

I'm sure that he has the best of intentions, but there are two things that are gonna happen.

1) Typos.

2) "Oh, that's wrong, lemme fix it. Uh. Oops."

This is not going to end well, and I'm going to be on the hook for it.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
Finally, a needful came in....

"Once again requesting for doing the needful,

Looking forward to hear from you,

Thanking you,

Regards,
A. Customer"

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

McGlockenshire posted:

Our everything's-a-crisis firefight-mode CTO wants unrestricted sudo on our live PXE box so he can check up on the work his people are doing.

I'm sure that he has the best of intentions, but there are two things that are gonna happen.

1) Typos.

Is it a VM? If so regular snapshots.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

One of the guys I work with is out for training for 5 days, and a TON of equipment came in all addressed to him. We built him a fort for when he comes back. :3:

A couple of pages back. However, a colleague had the audacity to take three weeks holiday in one go, so we spent some time improving his desk:

(The mouse was wrapped in clingfilm, but apparently leaked. The guy who did it had to go to the admins with a jelly filled mouse and ask for a replacement :D)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

KennyTheFish posted:

Is it a VM? If so regular snapshots.

Regular snapshots on a production VM?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Regular snapshots on a production VM?

Oh sure, after all, users just LIVE to enter the same information over and over.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Oh sure, after all, users just LIVE to enter the same information over and over.

Especially on an SQL server, or a DC.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
poo poo hit the fan today, networking issue in London meant that all of our hotels with leased lines lost internet connection for a good two hours. The one hotel that had a failover line didn't turn it over correctly - Leading to a wild goose chase through site documentation to find out how to get it manually up and running.

Now the phone system isn't working and the issue has been isolated at the core switch. Restarting would take down the entire networks.

Plz help guys, I'm only firstline :suicide:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

McGlockenshire posted:

1) Typos.

Audit and let him dig his own grave.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Electronaut posted:

Audit and let him dig his own grave.

Nah it'll be your fault for not sanitising the inputs.

The fact that this is impossible will have surprisingly little bearing on the situation.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Toxteth OGrady posted:

Finally, a needful came in....

I think it's been a couple years since I've actually seen a needful come to me, but I got to thinking I do get copied on a lot of long email chains, I wonder. Searched outlook for needful and got 11 hits.

edit: 210 in our ticketing system!

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 12, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Give this man a prize.

So, I can't talk too much about it, but apparently the current idea is "Record at <1 FPS to an SD card on the camera." The problem? They don't want to shell out for a VMS that supports SD recording for that many cameras (Milestone Corporate), so they're going to log into each camera individually with a web browser, download the file (over 3G), and play it locally. :suicide:

Did I mention that this is for over 10,000 cameras?

I'm going to try to talk them into something sane.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KillHour posted:

Give this man a prize.

So, I can't talk too much about it, but apparently the current idea is "Record at <1 FPS to an SD card on the camera." The problem? They don't want to shell out for a VMS that supports SD recording for that many cameras (Milestone Corporate), so they're going to log into each camera individually with a web browser, download the file (over 3G), and play it locally. :suicide:

At this point it'd be cheaper just to hire morons to sit in a chair and take a picture of the sign every minute with a smart phone and email it

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Gunjin posted:

You get something like this http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=hideawayhsa400&search=hsa%20400 with a module for VGA , HDMI, and displayport (you will need to go from displayport to HDMI somewhere under table via an adapter), run the cabling to your switcher (the extron I linked earlier should be able to be configured to auto detect which input is active so you don't have to manually switch between them) and you should be good to go.

There are a lot of ways to go about doing what you need, really you should contact a local professional and have them come in, it will cost more but they can tailor the solution to your space. I, and other people on the internet, can give you sort of a general guide, but if you want it to look good and function properly it's best to bring in a pro. I'd tell you to call my company, we've got engineers who specialize in doing exactly what you need, but if I recall you're in the pacific northwest and we only work in the central VA area.

This is great advice. We contract with AV integrators daily and even with their help it can be quite challenging. I've got an open case now that has so many pieces of hardware that somewhere along the way 1080p just fails to maintain a handshake:

An integrator posted:

I plugged my laptop into the table via HDMI and was only able to get 720p if I followed this process I could get 1080p. On the front of the Kramer you have to press and hold the EDID and STO button at the same time until it flashes. You then have to press the proper input, 4 for the table, then output, which is 1 & 2 for the Sharp displays, and then press the EDID button again. This was the only way I could get the 1080p to pass via HDMI.

Dick, you don't want to be IT and video support, trust me on this one (though of course you'll be asked.)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

go3 posted:

At this point it'd be cheaper just to hire morons to sit in a chair and take a picture of the sign every minute with a smart phone and email it

Smart phone? Pish. There are many fine hobos who would be willing to stare vacantly at the sign all day (in a nice warm room, with a restroom available and the opportunity to scav leftovers/abandoned meals and possibly beg) and call in once a shift via a cheapo prepaid phone.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KillHour posted:

Give this man a prize.

Jesus Christ.

Are they expecting someone to manually do the login/download thing? If so, calculate the wages they'll spend on someone to do that vs the cost of automating.

I bet it'll pay for itself quickly.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
A shitload of tickets have come in. Multiple blades failed on the main core switch. SmartNet you say? Hahahaha! We've been trying to get Administration to renew that for a couple of years now. They won't do it. But hey, the CFO got her office renovated, so it's all good, right?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

KillHour posted:

Give this man a prize.

It just keeps getting better and better :allears:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

KillHour posted:

Give this man a prize.

What's funny about this project is that it exhibits all of the problems that plague projects all the time. Someone comes up with an idea that will work for n locations, provided n is less than say 20. Anywhere from 1 to 20 locations would be fine for the method they're thinking of (though a bit unwieldy at 20, but doable).

But then nobody thinks to do the math and extrapolate out the effort involved when n approaches 100, or 1,000, or in this case 10,000, and they can't understand why their fantastic idea is completely untenable because I tried it at my uncle's house with his camera last week and it worked just fine why can't we make this work on that scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
All this to see if a menu switches, loving crazy, have one of the dozens of minimum wage workers check it. poo poo when I worked at one of those places we had to have a worker go outside and manually switch the menu board from breakfast to lunch, I'm sure they can still spare someone for those 30 seconds it would take to go outside and verify that a computer has done the same thing.

• Locked thread