Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
Training Roulette is awesome. Now I have a sniper with Squad Sight, Aggression, and Suppression :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Motherfucker posted:

Here's another question, I saw augmented soldiers and I saw massive mech suits... Is there a difference or is one just the final result of the other?

Building a robot soldier is a separate operation from building the mech suit, purely because if an aug soldier dies you can re-use his mech suit. This also lets you upgrade their suits and give the old one to a new aug. They still need to have a suit in order to deploy.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Photosynaesthesias posted:

Training Roulette is awesome. Now I have a sniper with Squad Sight, Aggression, and Suppression :pwn:

We've got an assault with sprinter, close and personal, and rapidfire, and heavy a with holo-targeting, bullet swarm, and hyperreactive pupils. Training roulette is my favorite thing in Enemy Within: leveling up feels exciting now since you don't know what you'll get, and every soldier feels very distinct. It's thrilling when a corporal gets will to survive.

Somewhat appropriate within the fiction that it doesn't apply at all to MECs.

Edit: Oops, sorry about the double post.

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 12, 2013

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
For what it's worth I got my game working with a VPN despite living in Not North America. I had a friend in Canada pre-order and gift to me on Steam weeks ago.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Sashimi posted:

For what it's worth I got my game working with a VPN despite living in Not North America. I had a friend in Canada pre-order and gift to me on Steam weeks ago.

good for you :argh:

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Sashimi posted:

I hope your squad gets wiped in the first mission.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SBJ posted:

I hope your squad gets wiped in the first every mission.

Fixed that for you.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Aggression is kind of a waste since squad sight can't crit isn't it?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
European release dates are the worst thing ever. Just logged into Steam with a US IP address but it won't let me download the game since I preordered the expansion weeks ago over my usual EU connection. So 15th it is...:saddowns:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Space Hamlet posted:

Building a robot soldier is a separate operation from building the mech suit, purely because if an aug soldier dies you can re-use his mech suit.

:gonk:

"No worries, buddy! We'll just hose this old suit out! Hope you have better luck then the last five guys!"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Aggression is kind of a waste since squad sight can't crit isn't it?

It can with opportunist!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

Here's another question, I saw augmented soldiers and I saw massive mech suits... Is there a difference or is one just the final result of the other?

Gene mods and MEC suits (which are piloted by cyborgs) are different things.

Gene mods can be applied to any non-MEC soldier. MEC soldiers are their own class that can't use normal equipment or gene mods.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

SBJ posted:

I hope your squad gets wiped in the first mission.
Even better, look at my geoscape :gonk:

Sashimi fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 12, 2013

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

I am weirded out that you didn't start with an officer training school, I definitely did

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Did you start with classic ironman?

Also I'm noticing my meld doesn't seem to count down until I spot it. I thought it started the countdown at the start of the mission, regardless of LOS.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Space Hamlet posted:

I am weirded out that you didn't start with an officer training school, I definitely did
You start with an officer school on easy and normal, but not on classic and impossible in EU. Presumably this hasn't changed in EW.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Holy hell these missions just come in one after another. I'm going to need a C and D team to keep up with this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I started X-COM blind this weekend :v:
So far, the main lesson I've learned is that I should have built a satellite uplink before anything else, because I'm about to lose like 2 countries in the third month.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Insert name here posted:

You start with an officer school on easy and normal, but not on classic and impossible in EU. Presumably this hasn't changed in EW.

Oh that's right, started on normal and realized the mistake and switched it out. Duh

Dirk Dingleberry
Mar 21, 2001

Support your local privateer

Aries posted:

When starting the game is anyone else getting the error: failed to find default engine .ini to retrieve My Documents subdirectory. Force quitting.?

This is on mac.

I am also having this problem (Mac OS X 10.7.5.) Verifying cache integrity does not fix the issue.

CoffeeBreak80
May 3, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

How do I force the Steam version to download the 7 gig patch? I downloaded the 4 gig, couldn't start the game after that- I'd assumed I'd need to close and restart Steam, but that doesn't seem to force the download.

EDIT: Enemy Unknown won't unlock in my region for 2 days, but I just want to play the vanilla version.

I'm in the U.S. and am having issues getting the game to install also. I purchased the expansion from Gamefly and received my activation code today. I applied the activation code before I applied the patch and then the patch installed fine. I'm not sure where I need to go to get the 7 gig expansion though? When I go to the store page for Enemy Within, it tells me that I already own the game (however, there is no listing for the game in my Library [not sure if it is even supposed to be a separate listing from XCOM:EU or not]). The Gamefly website doesn't look like it has a direct download link. Trying to reinput the activation code gives me the following message. It says to click the 'next' button to install, but there isn't one (clicking on 'finish' doesn't' help):

Any suggestions or ideas? Did anyone else buy it from Gamefly? Did I screw myself over by putting the key in before applying the 4 gig patch?

I just want to shoot traitorous EXALT :argh:

Edit:

cheesetriangles posted:

Seems to be not release date related but rather retail key related. Amazon, Gamestop, Gamefly, etc... everywhere including US based stores are having issues activating.

I read the last 5 pages before I made this post--should have read the last 8.

Edit 2:

Verifying the cache gave me a 9 MB download, but still no 7.2 download.

CoffeeBreak80 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 12, 2013

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Dirk Dingleberry posted:

I am also having this problem (Mac OS X 10.7.5.) Verifying cache integrity does not fix the issue.

I've deleted and am redownloading now, I'll let you know if it helps.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

CoffeeBreak80 posted:

Any suggestions or ideas?

read any of the last 10 pages

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
I agree with everyone else that MECs aren't overpowered, but finely balanced. They're a hell of a lot of fun to use, though, and even just moving around as a MEC feels great. Their skill tree is awesome and can make them either downright beefy mobile heavy cover with a minigun or engines of pure destruction.

I'm running with a squad of 3 Kinetic Strike MECs, an absolutely ridiculous Training Roulette sniper with gene mods, an Assault that can shoot five times in a single turn, and a Support with four grenades and three smoke grenades.

This is the kind of unit diversity I always wished for in EU.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So do shivs have customization and new upgrade options yet or will I be stomping around with mecs now?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

CoffeeBreak80 posted:

I'm in the U.S. and am having issues getting the game to install also. I purchased the expansion from Gamefly and received my activation code today. I applied the activation code before I applied the patch and then the patch installed fine. I'm not sure where I need to go to get the 7 gig expansion though? When I go to the store page for Enemy Within, it tells me that I already own the game (however, there is no listing for the game in my Library [not sure if it is even supposed to be a separate listing from XCOM:EU or not]). The Gamefly website doesn't look like it has a direct download link. Trying to reinput the activation code gives me the following message. It says to click the 'next' button to install, but there isn't one (clicking on 'finish' doesn't' help):

Any suggestions or ideas? Did anyone else buy it from Gamefly? Did I screw myself over by putting the key in before applying the 4 gig patch?

I just want to shoot traitorous EXALT :argh:

Enemy Within doesn't show up as a different listing. You can verify that it added to your account by hitting the entry for Enemy Unknown, right click, "View Downloadable Content", you should see Enemy Within in the list.

For the troubles with getting it to unlock, welcome to the club.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Dirk Dingleberry posted:

Ok deleting and redownloading does nothing, still exactly the same problem. Goddammit.

Dirk Dingleberry
Mar 21, 2001

Aries posted:

Ok deleting and redownloading does nothing, still exactly the same problem. Goddammit.

Bah. Thanks for the update.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Dirk Dingleberry posted:

Bah. Thanks for the update.

I've just reconnected to steam via a US VPN, and I'm getting a 7.8GB patch, what the hell?!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Motherfucker posted:

There's two separate lines that have been added. There's MEC troops, where you have to slice and dice a soldier to make them compatible with the giant robocop suits. Then there's genemods, genetic enhancements to soldiers that provide some nifty new abilities. The two lines are incompatible, you can't genemod a MEC soldier.

Far as I understand it, anyway.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I thought soldiers now could speak different languages? Am I missing a way to enable this or something?

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
I got the patch but not the DLC, so I did ye olde verifie integritie of game cache and it said "whoops, we're missing 5 thousand and some files" and started a 7 gig download, which seems correct. Won't know for sure for a while yet of course.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

Janissary Hop posted:

I thought soldiers now could speak different languages? Am I missing a way to enable this or something?

It's in the Customize menu. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of languages but it's pretty cool when you can match someone's nationality to the language they speak.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

So do shivs have customization and new upgrade options yet or will I be stomping around with mecs now?

Shivs only get a few smaller upgrades through the foundry that overlap with MECs. The big advantages shiva have over mechs is the mind control immunity.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

It's in the Customize menu. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of languages but it's pretty cool when you can match someone's nationality to the language they speak.

If you look in the main game options there's an option to automatically match language to their nationality.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Actually it turns out I've been hit with whatever is screwing up activating third party expansion keys and I played a few missions of the basic campaign. It was naive of me to think entering my activation code and then downloading the entire thing since it was uninstalled would give me both the basic game and expansion. Had to verify cache to get it to download more stuff.

Dirk Dingleberry
Mar 21, 2001

Aries posted:

I've just reconnected to steam via a US VPN, and I'm getting a 7.8GB patch, what the hell?!

Hmmm. Guess I'll go ahead with a the delete and reinstall then...

Looks like some Windows users were getting this same error back in December. Copying the gamedefault.ini file from a working install appears to have solved the problem http://steamcommunity.com/app/200510/discussions/0/828925849140874484/

Perhaps that will be a workable solution, if a Mac user can get everything installed and working?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Aries posted:

me too aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :neckbeard:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mokinokaro posted:

Shivs only get a few smaller upgrades through the foundry that overlap with MECs. The big advantages shiva have over mechs is the mind control immunity.

Can I rename them or give them funny hats or something now? This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Dirk Dingleberry posted:

Perhaps that will be a workable solution, if a Mac user can get everything installed and working?

Tried that and it did bugger all for me. I'll let you know when the 7gb patch finishes...

• Locked thread