Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
They keep giving me critical boosts I barely use so I figured now would be a good time.

Daken strike tile + crital boost + Thor bonus, is letting a 3 tile match go to like 1500 and my Thor is only level 39 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I don't see the name Gman on the list, but if you're a goon I'm going to hunt you down and stick a red hot poker through your mouth and out your rear end. It took me another 20 minutes to break the 900 mark because this guy kept up his back-and-forth slapfight. It was a High level Thor/Classic/Storm/Spider Man team so it's not like it was a cakewalk to keep beating, either.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

JHVH-1 posted:

They keep giving me critical boosts I barely use so I figured now would be a good time.

Daken strike tile + crital boost + Thor bonus, is letting a 3 tile match go to like 1500 and my Thor is only level 39 right now.

I critted for over 5000 damage today. I wish I got a screenshot, unfortunately it only says "Ragnarok is downed" :(

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gallow posted:

I don't see the name Gman on the list, but if you're a goon I'm going to hunt you down and stick a red hot poker through your mouth and out your rear end. It took me another 20 minutes to break the 900 mark because this guy kept up his back-and-forth slapfight. It was a High level Thor/Classic/Storm/Spider Man team so it's not like it was a cakewalk to keep beating, either.

Dude walk away, the 3rd time someone retaliates against me I leave them alone. Slap fights are stupid and waste a whole bunch of time. Then I wait to then last 10 minutes and slap them down hard :getin:

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum
Fakebook: https://www.facebook.com/puweyxil.puzzlequest

In the Thor tournament, which teams are you avoiding? I am wondering if it'd be possible to leave up a team overnight that would have a higher chance of being skipped. For me there are 3 characters I fear: Thor, Classic Storm and Juggernaut. I don't actually fear Classic Storm directly, but she acts as a buffer forcing me to kill her before I can even attack Thor, and at max level, it's a significant buffer. If there isn't a Classic Storm on them team, then a high level Juggernaut is similar deterrent. While I probably won't lose with a max-level Juggernaut in front of a level 30+ Thor, he could easily inflict enough damage to not make it worth it.

Unfortunately my Classic Storm is level 10, and I only have enough covers for a level 30ish Juggernaut.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If I see a Thor above level 15 I don't even bother. My level 15 Thor crits for 500 damage and deals 1300 with the yellow ability, it's ridiculous.

Also avoid yellow iron man 40s like the plague, they easily generate red AP for thor's smash attack.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Puweyxil posted:

Fakebook: https://www.facebook.com/puweyxil.puzzlequest

In the Thor tournament, which teams are you avoiding?

With a level 85 Thor, pretty much the only team I actively avoid is one that has some kind of unbeatable loop combined with huge hit point pools. Since Thor can currently one-shot a level 85 C-Storm, probably the worst team to stare at is Classic Spidey (who can take over the game with cheap stuns) and like Ragnarok/Wolverine 4 (just lots of HP)

Daken is really aggravating on a heavily green board, and can force me to use a healing pack if I'm not careful, but he also folds like a 2-7 offsuit to Thor breathing on him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My 'please dont kill me' team for this match is C-Storm and Daken to go with Thor. Either will fold to a red attack from a high enough level Thor, and Storm has to go down first (unless she's hiding in the back). My thor has enough HP for a few of thsoe as well, so that lets my guys have a few rounds. Still, this tournament is brutal. I dont even think about rushing into combat with anyone, no matter what their team is, as long as they have decent points in return.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Gallow posted:

If I've inadvertantly done that to anyone here, I'm sorry. Not that I'm anywhere near 900, every time I get above 600 I get shredded...
Quite often I don't even notice names, I'm really just playing for ISO at the moment. That, and to feed the addiction, of course :)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Puweyxil posted:

In the Thor tournament, which teams are you avoiding?

The only team I've skipped was an 85 Thor, 115 Ragnarok, 85 Model 40. And that's only because I wasn't close enough to one-shotting Ragnarok with the boosted opening Mjolnir. My level 83 Thor does 2657 damage out of the gate with the red attack, and 5312 damage with yellow (enough to one-shot all but level 85 Thors, and they'll only have a sliver of life left).

Basically, Storm is useless for defense in this tournament, because she'll be one-shot by the opening salvo regardless of level. Thor follows soon after with a small modicum of luck, leaving just your third man. Hence, pretty much the only way to make your team's defense stand out is to have significantly more that 2700 health on a fast and hard hitter, which is basically just a high-level Ragnarok (and good luck getting one)! Even annoying characters like max blue spiderman or wolverine aren't very threatening when they go down in the opening shot or with two red matches. Model 40 helps a bit, but unless you've got a ton of covers, he'll still go down quickly enough that he's not very threatening.

Short answer: No maxed Ragnarok? Don't bother with defense, just horde some ISO for boosts and try to hit milestones in concentrated pushes.

E: I've been using 83 Thor - 69 Daken - 53 CStorm (for the times when I actually take a hit). Anyone with a maxed Thor can kill me no problem.

VVV I barely made it earlier. Now I'm back to 600 :) Try the middle of the day sometime, if you can swing it. VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 12, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Seems like it's impossible to reach 900 right now. As soon as I get to the mid-800's I become public enemy nš1; it's a losing game when you bleed points faster than you can get them.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

seravid posted:

Seems like it's impossible to reach 900 right now. As soon as I get to the mid-800's I become public enemy nš1; it's a losing game when you bleed points faster than you can get them.

I've gotten to 955 exactly twice in the last 18 hours, and then I lose ~300 points. It's pretty disheartening.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

As more people having higher scores, it will be easier to reach those high milestones. I normally got for them on the last day.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Holy crap I just comboed someone for over 10k damage with several crits involved :haw:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sooooo many people forgetting not to leave Level 6 Thor in charge. :allears:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Some people use the guest to take damage and set off Cstorm for a quick but high damage win.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Well it's somewhat understandable since they probably get their team wiped out by accidentally putting lowbie thor in and then get frustrated and put the game down. Thinking of going on a cull with my fb list too. I noticed I have the jesus lady on my flist but I think my "restricted" thing for everyone I add for the game protected me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, got the 900 Prize and I don't think I'll try for the 1000. Way too frustrating. It's a very fighty bracket and if you beat somebody, they will fight you back. Even if they are poo poo and it takes them three goes to do it. All I had in the end was retaliatory slap fights because everything else was a 1/2/low amount of points.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You fight everyone in game, but your score is only compared against other people in your bracket.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I climbed all the way to 1150 but people kept beating me up for like 40-50+ points so I don't think that the sweet sweet hero points are coming my way any time soon.

I think it's time to go to sleep and dream of all the Thors who're going to be running at me screaming "SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yesterday I got to 850 before bed and I lost 400 points in the night. I just broke 1000 so I'm looking forward to seeing how far I'll fall tonight.

e: I just lost 90 points in about 2 minutes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'll say it again, this tournament is goddamn ridiculous, but in a good way.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Glad to know I'm not the only one who was a bit curious about the "do you believe in JESUS?" messages. Blocked the guy.

For those with fake facebook issues, if you do end up having to use your real facebook profile, just put all your MPQ friends in the Restricted list and then you have no issues (assuming they're actual goons and not lunatic jehova's)

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I can't say I have a team I'm avoiding in the Thornament because it's set up so that everyone is beatable. Last night my Thormverine (none maxed) took on a Thor 85 / Storm Classic 85 / Captain America 85 and beat them before they even got a turn.

Then I went to bed and lost 329 points.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Since I just started this game, should I ignore the Thor PVP event and go through the story missions?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

You fight everyone in game, but your score is only compared against other people in your bracket.

Oh, that makes more sense then. Haven't checked how much of a beating I got since the 900 prize yet. Guessing it was quite a lot. :v:

triplexpac posted:

Since I just started this game, should I ignore the Thor PVP event and go through the story missions?

It might be worth beating at least one person if you can, so you can place in the tournament. Usually there's at least a consolation prize even if you come last. At least it seems to if it's a smaller bracket.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I also started the game. I don't have any ultra-buff characters either so what I do in these tournaments is just go in, get some of the low-level progression rewards that look juicy (recruit token only needs like 50 which is doable with a newb crew) then once I'm satisfied I move on with the story.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

triplexpac posted:

You might as well try to get to 50 points, but in this tournament more than most you have no chance of going anywhere if you're new.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Actually? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You will get a free dummy Thor while in the tournament, you can find some fellow newbies to beat on, and at 50 and 150 points you'll get tokens that'll probably be free Storm Moderns.

The tournament will be there all week, though, so do the story missions for the most part and learn the game and build some other covers up.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Thanks! I actually did get to 50 and got that token, maybe I'll attempt the 150 one as well and call it a day.

If there are any other general newbie tips, I'd appreciate them. I read the OP, but it seemed to be more "this is what the game is" and less "this is what you should do when starting out".

Besides level Iron Man, of course. I've been doing that.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Yeah, like they said. Beat a few people, if you can, so you get some ISO at the end of the event. There's no penalty for skipping opponents so just keep head hunting low level teams that look like you could beat.

The opponents' circles determine what "map" you fight on. All this means is that the environment tiles will do different things. Top and bottom right opponents will fight in the lab (enviro tiles grant you the ability to make a random crit tile). Bottom left is city which grants "hot dog stand" (heals your team for 50 hp). Mid right is Latvaria which creates 3 black strike tiles. Mid left is jungle which gives you an ability to self inflict 100 damage to yourself, but give 5 AP of each color.

Keep in mind your opponent gets the same enviro tiles so plan accordingly. I personally like fighting in the city since I don't care if the enemy heals 50 hp.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm all out of PVE rewards to farm, woo. Only took about 6-7 Ragnarok kills to get all his rewards. The fight isn't too bad with Thor/Classic Storm/Venom. Venom's cheap stuns and high enough HP to eat a couple big hits triggering Storm's tempest to fuel the Thor chain helped a lot.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

The biggest thing I wish I had known more about when I first started was the fact that "more covers does not necessarily always equal better".

For instance my Iron Man 35 covers are levelled at 5 red /3 yellow /5 blue. The 5 blue cover power I have is really not that helpful. While the description sounds good (1200 damage and 3 turn-stun) it requires 19 blue tiles. So in practicality I only get to use it once at the very end of the battle, and the last guy usually only has like 300 hit points anyways, and the 3-turn-stun has no effect because the battle is already finished.

I regret not going 5/4/4 or 5/5/3. So plan your covers accordingly.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Oh man. Enemy simple 3-tile match that resulted in an environmental tile T, which generated a crit tile that landed between three reds. Guess my Thor will take a nap!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Woke up, lost 500 points.

Time to roll up my sleeves and go on a rampage! No stop until I hit 1200!

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
So in the OP we have the facebook account relinking procedure. Is that still current, or have we figured out the easier way to do it?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

vibratingsheep posted:

Woke up, lost 500 points.

Time to roll up my sleeves and go on a rampage! No stop until I hit 1200!

Yeah, it's like a mechanical process at this point. Start fight, Feral Claws, Mjolnir's Might, dead Storm, match yellows if I have to, Thunder Strike, dead Thor, clean up with Wolverine. Lather, rinse, repeat. If they made a way for boosts to autopurchase once I run out it'd be even faster.

Problem is that when you're at 1000 and the people plinking you are all at 800-ish, it's hard to make headway.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

delfin posted:

Yeah, it's like a mechanical process at this point. Start fight, Feral Claws, Mjolnir's Might, dead Storm, match yellows if I have to, Thunder Strike, dead Thor, clean up with Wolverine. Lather, rinse, repeat. If they made a way for boosts to autopurchase once I run out it'd be even faster.

Problem is that when you're at 1000 and the people plinking you are all at 800-ish, it's hard to make headway.

Yeah I have to hit skip a lot in the matchup screen, wasting precious seconds of someone not beating on my 1100-point pinata. Which just happened while I was typing this and I lost 100 points in two attacks.

edit: Stalled at 1160 this time, then the attacks for -50 started rolling in. Time to walk away for a while.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 12, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The good thing is that when I'm using just +3/All and +3/RedYellow, I'm actually making ISO slowly over time and still facerolling everyone. I have yet to max anyone (my current Thor crew is Thor 75 / Wolverine 63 / IM40 36) so at some point I need to start investing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Yeah I have to hit skip a lot in the matchup screen, wasting precious seconds of someone not beating on my 1100-point pinata. Which just happened while I was typing this and I lost 100 points in two attacks.

edit: Stalled at 1160 this time, then the attacks for -50 started rolling in. Time to walk away for a while.

I feel your pain. I made it to about 1150 and then I stepped away to go to lunch. In the 20 minutes I was gone I got about 10 notifications. I don't even want to see how bad the damage is.

Edit: -200. Yeah, don't think I'm going to get those sweet, sweet gold coins.

Russad fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 12, 2013