Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

You don't need to get the official LED, just got to a hardware store and pick up an appropriately sized one. Personally I've never bothered with them, but honestly I don't see why we should tell you what to do with your kit. :v:

And yes, MG FA Unicorn is the best one available. Not because of the psychoframe, but because it has a non-lovely AB connector.

Also because it's practically a MG Systems Weapon kit. Don't forget you don't have to put on all the weapons too; if you do, it won't be able to do poo poo, if you don't it can pull off some nifty poses.

Yeah, FA unicorn is next on ny list for just that reason. My 00 quanta seems really naked with only the gn sword V, and I figure at least something from the unicorn will look good once kit bashed to look more 00ish.

On an unrelated note, gently caress the Hi-Nu funnels. 13 tiny loving pieces for each and every funnel before connections and/or effect pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Caros posted:

Yeah, FA unicorn is next on ny list for just that reason. My 00 quanta seems really naked with only the gn sword V, and I figure at least something from the unicorn will look good once kit bashed to look more 00ish.

I can't link it now, but there is a third party GN Sword IV kit for Quanta if you want to complete the look.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What's the quality of the RG RX-78-2 like? Been reading The Origin and I'm considering getting one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's bad. It was the first RG so they were still figuring out how to do things, and the end result is a grenade that falls apart if you look at it funny.

The G30th HG is honestly your best choice as far as 1/144 Gundams go.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

BlitzBlast posted:

The G30th HG is honestly your best choice as far as 1/144 Gundams go.

While I don't have any other RX-78 models to compare it to, I'm seconding that the G30th is a really good kit. The details show really well if you panel line it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's the quality of the RG RX-78-2 like? Been reading The Origin and I'm considering getting one.

You might just wanna wait until Origin airs on TV, because when it does they're probably gonna release kits with all the redesigns and stuff. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the original Gundam but I really like its redesigned version in Origin, I can't wait to get a kit of it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LAgoons:

The 2013 SCGMC is tomorrow:

http://thosegundamguys.org/southern-california-gundam-model-competition/

If you're in the area it's worth stopping by.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

I can't link it now, but there is a third party GN Sword IV kit for Quanta if you want to complete the look.

Thanks for that. Probably going to order it later this week!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Am considering doing some kind of Gundam kitbash, could someone explain the All Gundam scheme to me, I've read about it in fragments so am not clear. Are the "universal" backpacks such as those used by Build Strike and Zaku Amazing interchangeable with the packs on stuff like the Wing and XX that have just come out under All Gundam?

And since part of the idea behind it is supposed to be part-switching between kits, are they fudging scale a bit so F91 Gundam(15M) parts can be put on XX Gundam (17m) and so on? Pretty sure OYW and 00 suits average closer to 20m too, with Nu Gundam being something like 22m.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What All Gundam is doing is standardizing the polycaps used in HGs. They'll all still be 1/144 scale, but since the joints are identical you can easily switch limbs. As for the BF backpacks, a variety of connectors are provided so they can truly fit on every HG ever.

And yes, there's a specific connector piece for the Wing/DX.

Note that All Gundam is not retroactive. While Wing and DX can mix and match everything (they had very similar engineering), with older kits it's up in the air. Comparing the DX and the X, the polycaps connecting the arms to the shoulders are the same, but the ball joint connecting the shoulders to the chest are not.
Also it's Double X, not XX.

EDIT: V I don't see why you couldn't, the Wing's transformation is not exactly the most complex thing ever.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 11, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just for curiosity's sake, can you transform it with that Build Booster attached?

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Hi guys, im just getting back into building gunpla ( took a year or so off after i first got into it ). Wanted to show off my shelf

I have done a couple kits with spray cans, but im gonna be buying an airbrush so i can do some legit painting.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That thing on the right that looks like it has shields for legs, what in the world is that?

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

That thing on the right that looks like it has shields for legs, what in the world is that?

That is an HG Virtue http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-00-GN-005-Virtue-Scale/dp/B000WOYF7S

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

jhorphear posted:

im gonna be buying an airbrush so i can do some legit painting.

Make sure to get a double action one. Also don't forget that the compressor and the brush are separate things, so if you're tight on cash you can get a cheapo compressor and a decent airbrush, and then just buy a better compressor later when you have the funds.

Also MG Exia RII is now available for preorder. Seems the release date is February.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Oh man, and they have a 1/100 one. Anyone know if the no-grade 1/100 Gams Gundam is worth it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It should be pretty okay, I think.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

Oh man, and they have a 1/100 one. Anyone know if the no-grade 1/100 Gams Gundam is worth it?

I have never done a no grade build, but i was really suprised how well done the HG version of this kit was.

edit: actually all the HG 00 kits i have done have been pretty good now that i think about it.

BlitzBlast posted:

Make sure to get a double action one. Also don't forget that the compressor and the brush are separate things, so if you're tight on cash you can get a cheapo compressor and a decent airbrush, and then just buy a better compressor later when you have the funds.

i was thinking about getting this kit http://www.amazon.com/PAASCHE-AIRBRUSH-Quiet-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR/dp/B001CEEWX4/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1384199603&sr=8-39&keywords=airbrush+kit

but if you think i should go double action ill see what else i can scrounge up.

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 11, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Chris posted:

Mechanically, there are two types - single action, and double action. There is no reason to purchase a single action brush and you should NOT consider purchasing one at any price range. A double action lets you push down on the trigger for air flow, and pull back on the trigger for paint flow. This is essential for any sort of shading technique.

Single action airbrushes are basically just reusable spraycans, so there'd be no point in you switching from spray to airbrush.

As far as NG 1/100s go, only 00 had really consistent quality. Seed's were a bit of a mixed bag, and everything before it are only worth purchasing if you really like the design.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ok, thanks. Ill adjust my search. Since winter is coming up i may not even need to worry about getting an airbrush so i can just save up to get everything i need.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That Gunpla club I was talking about earlier got off the ground, and today was the first group build. Since we made the HG AGE-1 orders today, I brought the group (3 girls, four boys) some SD kits.

My main camera's being used by a friend so all I have is this lovely iPhone picture, sorry.

Of the six people who built, only two had any prior experience in modeling. And one of those two had barely any, so he was asking really paranoid questions about everything. They all had a lot of fun (to the point that they ignored the Build Fighters episode we showed midway through to focus on building :v:), and the kits turned out pretty well. There are minor nubs all over it, of course, but these certainly look a lot better than my first kit.

The only person who didn't participate was this one girl who was already super experienced with the hobby, so she spent the entire meeting working on her HG Hi-Nu. I brought over my HG Nu for display, so we compared and man the HG Hi-Nu's proportions are hosed.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Muffinlord posted:

1/100 Gundam Virtue is a horrible kit. Don't buy it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OraXIAWdhZY - this review demonstrates why.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

BlitzBlast posted:

That Gunpla club I was talking about earlier got off the ground, and today was the first group build. Since we made the HG AGE-1 orders today, I brought the group (3 girls, four boys) some SD kits.

That sounds pretty awesome, I wish I was in a Gunpla Club.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

bubblegumbo0 posted:

That sounds pretty awesome, I wish I was in a Gunpla Club.

Yeah me too, I wish I could be in a Gunpla Club.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah me too, I wish I could be in a Gunpla Club.

We can start our own gunpla club, with blackjack, and hookers!

Seriously, we could start a long distance gunpla club. We could all pick a day/time, setup a google hangout and go to town. Might be kinda neat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jhorphear posted:

Seriously, we could start a long distance gunpla club. We could all pick a day/time, setup a google hangout and go to town. Might be kinda neat.

Sorry, I only do my Gunpla alone in my unwashed pit of human misery.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A gunpla club's easy to make. All you need is a nice solid wood baseball bat, and the most clusterbomb-esque gundam kits you can assemble and superglue to it. Then introduce your new gunpla club to some motherfucker's face for dissing your hobby :black101:.

Please do not do this.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A gunpla club's easy to make. All you need is a nice solid wood baseball bat, and the most clusterbomb-esque gundam kits you can assemble and superglue to it. Then introduce your new gunpla club to some motherfucker's face for dissing your hobby :black101:.

Please do not do this.

Can i just beat people over the head with a Psycho gundam?

edit: So, i finally decided to pickup work on my freedom gundam. I started this Kit almost a year ago, but it ended up on the shelf due to lack of time. I had the Torso and arm already done, so all i got done last night was a single arm.

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 12, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Raptor's looking good, I just hope the Infinities emblem isn't pre-painted on.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

jhorphear posted:

I'm up for this.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Absolutely incredible buildup of the MG Nu ver.Ka.

Y'all need to check this poo poo if you haven't already – almost every part is reshaped or tweaked and the craftsmanship is stunning. Easily the best buildup I've seen all year, maybe the best I've EVER seen.

The downside is that I want to throw all my kits in the garbage now, but still holy gently caress.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Bimmi posted:

Absolutely incredible buildup of the MG Nu ver.Ka.

Y'all need to check this poo poo if you haven't already – almost every part is reshaped or tweaked and the craftsmanship is stunning. Easily the best buildup I've seen all year, maybe the best I've EVER seen.

The downside is that I want to throw all my kits in the garbage now, but still holy gently caress.

Wow. Thats amazing. Is it wrong to be turned on by that?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

God I hope not because I sure am.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm up for this.

I am down to put something together. Would we run this out of the current thread or start a new one? I know if we can get enough people interested we could go for a group buy ( they to this on /r/gunpla ).

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

TaurusOxford posted:

1/100 Gundam Virtue is a horrible kit. Don't buy it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OraXIAWdhZY - this review demonstrates why.

Good to know. I love kits with tons of removable parts, so that's a shame.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Try out the MG Duel Assault then. It's only around $40, and it's pretty much the best Full Armor MG released at the moment; FA ZZ is old as gently caress, FA Gundam has a really terrible gimmick, X1 Full Cloth can't really hold its weapons, V Dash is super flimsy, FA Unicorn is a hot pile of poo poo, and AGE-1 Full Gransa doesn't exist.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
But the FAZZ has that huge goofy gun :(

I don't much have a problem with old kits, unless there's a specific reason why they're flawed. I bought an MG Gouf Custom when I bought the Nu ver. Ka, and it's honestly pretty nice. Wish the shield could be separated from the gatling components, but it's a sturdy build overall.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I love the FA ZZ more than anyone in existence, but I can not recommend the MG. Not only is it a ridiculously complicated build (to this day it's only second to Ex-S) with a million parts (it had the record until FA Unicorn, which becomes even more stunning when you realize it has no inner frame and terrible parts separation) but the end result is a piece of poo poo that's almost impossible to play with. No action base peg is sturdy enough to really support it, the hands are too flimsy to hold any of the weapons (hell it doesn't even hold the big gun, that gets plugged into the backpack) without a ton of care, the weapons are too heavy for the arms anyways, and to top it all off once you're done you've got a lot of painting to do because a ton of colors are missing.

It's basically just a huge, convoluted as gently caress, outdated High Grade. I am warning you, don't get it.

EDIT: Actually no, HG ZZ was miles better than MG ZZ/FA ZZ. It's an outdated as gently caress No Grade, that's what it is.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 13, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So speaking of the Ex-S, me and my friends do a super expensive build each year for New Years as tradition, and we're having trouble choosing. We did the MG Nu Ver Ka last year, and this year we are torn between a PG Strike Rouge, a PG GP-01, the MG Sazabi and the MG Ex-S. I know the Sazabi can't be spoken for, but does anyone else have experience with the others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG Ex-S is famous for being a complicated build, not for being particularly good. There's a reason it comes with a base; it's almost incapable of standing on its own.

PG Strike Rouge, as you might expect, is almost exactly the same as the PG Strike. And that's a good thing because the PG Strike and its variants are currently the best the grade has to offer.

PG GP-01 is generally considered the best of the pre-Strike PGs, so it's a fine choice too. Taurus has one, so he can tell you more about it.

MG Sazabi vKa is likely to be incredible, and since you already built Nu vKa I don't see why you shouldn't get it.

• Locked thread