Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pagancow posted:

be happy not knowing what "right" is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i just watched Olympus Has Fallen

Oh god

they shipped a movie with

• green screen composites with hard edges
  • shimmering chroma keys on windows
  • shimmering skintone color isolation in backgrounds of images
  • gamma power windows on faces that were not tracked (handheld shots)
  • CG with no normal maps

lol

pagancow fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 11, 2013

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i shouldn't be so hard i've had to ship poo poo too, if you worked on the movie grab a beer with me and I will listen to all the woes you had in post on that film im sorry

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
you only posted twice pagancow. i expected more from you.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Suspicious Dish posted:

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ACanofPepsi posted:

wonder if the radius group ever has conferences to discuss releasing a new standard

why is mp3 an audio container but mp4 is video? who made that wacky call??

didn't radius (actually supermac) sell cinepak to adobe or someone in the early 90s

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

hmm it's not explicitly stated but maybe

quote:

SuperMac, was working on a NuBus-based video digitizer called VideoSpigot and their own codec, which they called Cinepak. The board came with a program called ScreenPlay that was used to capture video and play it back. SuperMac wanted to give their customers a program to do some simple editing, in addition to capturing and playing back video. Randy Ubellios, who worked for SuperMac at that time, wrote a program called ReelTime for use with files created by ScreenPlay and VideoSpigot. ReelTime did not control the digitizer but it could take files created by ScreenPlay and could do cuts and transitions and put them together, display the result, and write it to disk. ReelTime was meant to be bundled with the VideoSpigot, but SuperMac was a hardware company. They needed their customers to have a program like this, but they didn't need to be the ones to sell and maintain it. There were lots of potential buyers for ReelTime, but it ended up selling to Adobe and becoming their first video software product. It was renamed Adobe Premiere, and was bundled with the VideoSpigot and available alone starting at the end of 1991.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

maybe they only sold the editing software and not the codec part

quote:

The SuperMac acquisition [in 1994] netted Radius the Cinepak video compression CODEC, which was still supported by most encoders and almost all media players by the early 2000s.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it suddenly dawned on me that xvid is divx spelled backwards

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

holey shitttt

[img-40-fps-in-Davinci-Render.png]

PISSSSS

poo poo is crazy

its so hot in here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idgyu

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

do you even encode?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

fans feeling so swole after that hour long 99% cpu operation

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

fans feeling so swole after that hour long 99% cpu operation

99‰? my Mac regularly hits 800%

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

99‰? my Mac regularly hits 800%

i want to make a kickstarter for a little propeller/fan that balances on trashcan macs but the fan spins using the rising heat from the center of the can. the slowly spinning blade charges an iphone5s gold. call it the "green fan for ur black can"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

here is what pagancow has to do for a living:

https://vimeo.com/73746421

Skip to 4:42

as told by a very svelt and better looking man than pagancow

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

here is what pagancow has to do for a living:

https://vimeo.com/73746421

as told by a very svelt and better looking man than pagancow

ur job is professional adobe kuler operator?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

no explaining cameras to people who know nothing then doing it all myself.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

no explaining cameras to people who know nothing then doing it all myself.

that job sounds like it kinda owns tbh

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

he gets very yvcpos and starts talking about 10-bits (the non shameful version, the ones captured in log space from real cameras)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i imagine pagancow explaining cameras and stuff to normals the same way he describes it to people in this thread

short excited bursts of information punctuated by infographs, pictures of curves, "HOLY poo poo", 'do you even encode??" and then just shaking his head and walking away

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

pagancow posted:

he gets very yvcpos and starts talking about 10-bits (the non shameful version, the ones captured in log space from real cameras)

lol you have to explain technical things for non-technical people

gondolences

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i imagine pagancow explaining cameras and stuff to normals the same way he describes it to people in this thread

short excited bursts of information punctuated by infographs, pictures of curves, "HOLY poo poo", 'do you even encode??" and then just shaking his head and walking away

i dont post infographs i post colorspaces mapped to XYZ cordinates.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

i dont post infographs i post colorspaces mapped to XYZ cordinates.

same thing to the plebs (me(

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also when have i ever walked away from YVCPOS?

3 pages down and i'll post in it

born a codec warrior, gonna die a codec warrior

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also the guys explanation of "this doesn't fit within rec.709" is kind of a misnomer because if the customer at home has the 10,000,000:1 contrast ratio TV and it's actually jacked up, then all kinds sphincter ripping, retinal tearing, colors be coming out of "rec.709"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
uuugh gently caress you jib guy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think this guy is literally just a crane operator with a camera, not a cameraman

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i think this guy is literally just a crane operator with a camera, not a cameraman

what, the camera isn't supposed to be overexposed and just jerk to a stop?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
this show has one guy who underexposed everything, one guy who overexposed, the jib operator who was doing idk what, a slow cam that looks okay, and lots of go pro stuff probably shot by the producer (or maybe the jib guy idk).

the middle ground is not pretty

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this show has one guy who underexposed everything, one guy who overexposed, the jib operator who was doing idk what, a slow cam that looks okay, and lots of go pro stuff probably shot by the producer (or maybe the jib guy idk).

fun time at work is camera/producer people sticking a gopro at the end of a shaky boom pole, walking down a street with it and then asking me to track the jello-garbage I get back. Yeah, I can replace that rhombus-shaped rectangle with constantly-shifting distortion. Oh, the XD camera you brought on the shoot was set to 1/8 shutter speed to look 'like a movie'? of course that is usable, i never could have replicated that terrible poo poo in after effects, good thing its baked into the source

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ACanofPepsi posted:

fun time at work is camera/producer people sticking a gopro at the end of a shaky boom pole, walking down a street with it and then asking me to track the jello-garbage I get back. Yeah, I can replace that rhombus-shaped rectangle with constantly-shifting distortion. Oh, the XD camera you brought on the shoot was set to 1/8 shutter speed to look 'like a movie'? of course that is usable, i never could have replicated that terrible poo poo in after effects, good thing its baked into the source

i think you work at my company

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really dont understand how you can attach a gopro to a dirtbikers helmet and have him to flips in the air and the result is pretty cool but when you hand it to a producer or cameraman it suddenly gets way worse

probably just because i can compare it to better footage but still

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gopro made a silver plastic case for a SI-2k mini and just shoots all their promo poo poo with that. :v:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
cool new thing for producers to attach to the end of a boom (from kickstarter thread):

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/panono-panoramic-ball-camera

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Yeah when I try to train other people to run cameras nobody can get exposure right even when you show them how the histogram works and they tell it back to you like "hey this is what you just said" so I know they understand it

people just see really bad too i guess

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also gently caress that i don't need to histogram i know my equipment

light everything within 3-5 stops anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ACanofPepsi posted: