Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of getting a shiny new kitchenaid. Is there any benefit to the glass bowl models? Seems like only downside to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gotta admit, looking at stuff mix is fun.

That's about it. I wanted a glass bowl until I made dry ice ice cream

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 8, 2013

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm thinking of getting a shiny new kitchenaid. Is there any benefit to the glass bowl models? Seems like only downside to me.

It will make for better food-making photos and then you'll cut your thumb off when you drop it. Stick with the stainless steel bowl.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's what I figured. Thanks guys.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
You can microwave it

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you only occasionally make baked goods I think a hand mixer is perfectly fine. I rarely use my stand mixer in the course of normal cooking. If you do a lot of baking a stand mixer is nice though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hand mixer is really only good for building emulsions and whipping cream though. You can knead dough, cream butter (correctly, and easily) and do all the attachment stuff in a stand mixer. I think it's definitely worth saving for.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Big batches or stiff doughs make a stand mixer worth it, and any small batches of whipped cream or whatever, I would just as soon do by hand than dick with a hand mixer that I will just burn out, anyway. To each his own, though.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Tilt-head only, deal breaker for me but I will admit it's probably nice to have measurement markings on the bowl

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Hand mixer is really only good for building emulsions and whipping cream though. You can knead dough, cream butter (correctly, and easily) and do all the attachment stuff in a stand mixer. I think it's definitely worth saving for.

It's that doh lives in a neighborhood where the apartments are freaky tiny and the kitchens even more so. Counter space is nonexistent. It's likely why he was trying to figure out if it's worth buying.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'd still say it is since kneading is a pain on a tiny counter.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'd still say it is since kneading is a pain on a tiny counter.

If you have enough room for a bowl, you have enough room for kneading.

Either way, if I couldn't afford a stand mixer, I sure as poo poo would buy a hand mixer. gently caress making meringue by hand.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

True, but I would just as soon have the bowl knead for me at that point, especially if it can also make whipped goodies, take future attachments (meat grinder :3), and not crap out with regular use.

I can see why people go for hand mixers, especially over paying full price for a stand mixer. And I would have no problem suggesting them to a new cook to take some load off their whisk. But scoring a cheap used stand mixer is worth counter space to someone getting more kitchen time. Worst case, they decide it isn't for them and ditch it at a consignment shop with no real financial gamble. The main point being that a deal of a used stand mixer is very much worth a counter corner in even a small kitchen.

If we were talking new price, then I would absolutely endorse a hand mixer.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Standmixer means homemade marshmallows.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my kitchenaid artisan stripped out a gear when I was kneading some dough. I've tried to follow DIY instructions on replacing it, but there's this one loving pin that I've been slamming away on with a hammer, and it just won't budge.

anyone have experience with kitchenaid repair and stuck pins? or anyone used a service center to repair their mixer?

also gently caress kitchenaid for making a product that will strip out a gear when kneading dough. I expect this overpriced hunk of poo poo to literally destroy any mixture of flour and eggs I throw at it. :mad: TIME TO BUY A HOBART

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Isn't that the gear that's designed to break if you get your fingers stuck in the machine or something?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
See what happens when you buy tilt head mixers? Bowl lift for life!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

mindphlux posted:

my kitchenaid artisan stripped out a gear when I was kneading some dough. I've tried to follow DIY instructions on replacing it, but there's this one loving pin that I've been slamming away on with a hammer, and it just won't budge.

anyone have experience with kitchenaid repair and stuck pins? or anyone used a service center to repair their mixer?
Do you mean the pin in the center of this picture? When I did mine that one was a real bastard to get out.

Don't try to halfass that one with a screwdriver, use a proper pin punch and brace the head against something solid. I had to wail on mine a bit to get it started- underneath the dusting of flour you can see some of the little dings in the finish that came courtesy of a Phillips head screwdriver skipping around while I tapped on it.

Also, I highly recommend wearing disposable rubber gloves when you get the head open. The factory grease that smells like poo poo. (Don't forget to grease everything before you close it back up!)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nmfree posted:

Do you mean the pin in the center of this picture? When I did mine that one was a real bastard to get out.

Don't try to halfass that one with a screwdriver, use a proper pin punch and brace the head against something solid. I had to wail on mine a bit to get it started- underneath the dusting of flour you can see some of the little dings in the finish that came courtesy of a Phillips head screwdriver skipping around while I tapped on it.

Also, I highly recommend wearing disposable rubber gloves when you get the head open. The factory grease that smells like poo poo. (Don't forget to grease everything before you close it back up!)

YEP

that's the one. glad it's not just me. maybe I'll order a pin punch set and give it the old flunked-out-of-college-but-still-gonna-try-to-stop-smoking-weed,-attend-trade-school-for-a-few-semesters-and-get-back-in-to-my-alma-mater college try

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I've got a little extra money and I'm seriously considering buying a stand mixer. I know I've been extolling the virtues of the Assistent, but it's been pissing me off lately for a number of reasons.

Is it worth it paying omfg almost twice as much for the 6.9 litre bowl lift version over the regular Artisan?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Don't buy cheap or brass pin punches. A basic set of steel will cost a few bucks but won't bend like a pipe cleaner when it meets a stubborn pin.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Is this thermometer still recommended? I'm trying to get my kitchen in order for Turkeyday and an in-oven thermometer is one of the few things I'm missing. I don't mind spending some money of this since I've already purchased a Thermapen but I'm not sure there is anything else out there better than what I've linked.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Horn posted:

Is this thermometer still recommended? I'm trying to get my kitchen in order for Turkeyday and an in-oven thermometer is one of the few things I'm missing. I don't mind spending some money of this since I've already purchased a Thermapen but I'm not sure there is anything else out there better than what I've linked.

I bought this instead. It's designed for BBQ, so it also keeps tabs on your oven temperature, which is very useful if you live in an apartment and your landlord refuses to upgrade your ancient POS stove. It really clarified why I've been having some problems with baking - setting it for 300 results in an actual in-oven temp of 395.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dane posted:

I've got a little extra money and I'm seriously considering buying a stand mixer. I know I've been extolling the virtues of the Assistent, but it's been pissing me off lately for a number of reasons.

Is it worth it paying omfg almost twice as much for the 6.9 litre bowl lift version over the regular Artisan?

I know it's not a Kitchenaid, but my wife and I love our Breville. I haven't met anything it can't handle, but I don't do double-batches of wheat bread very often. It's much quieter than the kitchenaids, and has some nifty digital options (like setting the thing to mix for X minutes and just walking away) though it's got a couple of things I wish I could tweak.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Arcturas posted:

I know it's not a Kitchenaid, but my wife and I love our Breville. I haven't met anything it can't handle, but I don't do double-batches of wheat bread very often. It's much quieter than the kitchenaids, and has some nifty digital options (like setting the thing to mix for X minutes and just walking away) though it's got a couple of things I wish I could tweak.

Take that for what it's worth.

Considering a brand new 6qt lift bowl Kitchen Aid can be had for $30 more at Costco (or a lot less at thrift stores) I don't know if I could go for the Breville.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ma i married a tuna posted:

I bought this instead. It's designed for BBQ, so it also keeps tabs on your oven temperature, which is very useful if you live in an apartment and your landlord refuses to upgrade your ancient POS stove. It really clarified why I've been having some problems with baking - setting it for 300 results in an actual in-oven temp of 395.

There are probably some screws on the back of your temperature knob. Set your oven to 350 and when it gets up to temp pull the knob off. Loosen the screws, adjust the knob until it indicates whatever temp your oven is *actually* at and tighten them back down. There might not be enough adjustment range to zero your knob but it's better than nothing if you can't get the landlord to fix it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Horn posted:

Whenever possible get thermometers with metal mesh wires instead of plastic wires, they will last longer

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

deimos posted:

Considering a brand new 6qt lift bowl Kitchen Aid can be had for $30 more at Costco (or a lot less at thrift stores) I don't know if I could go for the Breville.

Fair enough; I hadn't seen that. The local Sur Le Table uses them for their cooking classes, which I think also include some breads or pizzas, but like I say I don't do many breads in my mixer, so I can't speak to it.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I have had horrible luck with crock pots breaking on me for various reasons over the years. Can anyone recommend a large sized crock pot that will last?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

deimos posted:

That Breville isn't even available over here and there's no Costco to go to - and I've never seen a Kitchenaid for sale at a thrift store here.

The problem is that they're loving expensive, and the steps up really need to be steps up in quality, durability etc for it to be worth it

My choice as far as Kitchenaids go is the 7 qt bowl lift KMS7581 at $1250, the 7qt Heavy Duty KMS7591 at $1100 or the regular 5 qt tilt-head Artisan at around $650-700.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dane posted:

That Breville isn't even available over here and there's no Costco to go to - and I've never seen a Kitchenaid for sale at a thrift store here.

The problem is that they're loving expensive, and the steps up really need to be steps up in quality, durability etc for it to be worth it

My choice as far as Kitchenaids go is the 7 qt bowl lift KMS7581 at $1250, the 7qt Heavy Duty KMS7591 at $1100 or the regular 5 qt tilt-head Artisan at around $650-700.

Do they market the Kenwood mixers in your country? I dunno what local pricing would be like, but they'd be a fine alternative.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Arcturas posted:

Fair enough; I hadn't seen that. The local Sur Le Table uses them for their cooking classes, which I think also include some breads or pizzas, but like I say I don't do many breads in my mixer, so I can't speak to it.

I am convinced that Breville has a giant marketing budget to get their products out there, so they might have partnered with Sur for that reason.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

mediaphage posted:

Do they market the Kenwood mixers in your country? I dunno what local pricing would be like, but they'd be a fine alternative.

I think Delonghi bought the Kenwood brand, at least in the US.

I have a rebraneded kenwood, has the 'K' beater, but delonghi badge. 700 watts, 7 quart bowl, got it for $200 I think. Their knew ones seem to be a bit more trendy looking, no clue if they are any good, look like the breville/delonghi ones (i.e. lots of blue led's and digitalness)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

deimos posted:

I am convinced that Breville has a giant marketing budget to get their products out there, so they might have partnered with Sur for that reason.

I could definitely see that happening. Plus it's really shiny and markets well. We like lots of the little marketing features, but they sometimes get in the way (the digital speed control makes you wait a second after you swing the head down before you can run the mixer, which is dumb).

But it's light enough to store in a cabinet and swing around the kitchen before using, quiet enough that it doesn't interfere with TV-watching, and does a good job on cake batters, cookies, whipping cream/meringues, so we're pleased with it. We just don't do enough breads for it's issues there to be a problem

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, that's a possible alternative. But - and it might seem a bit of a genderist cliche - it'll be a lot easier to convince the girlfriend to let me keep the machine on the counter if it's nicer to look at. So the bigger Kenwoods are out, they are way too modern-industrial looking (which isn't desirable) rather than retro-industrial (which is, apparently).

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Buy a refurb pro 500 or 600 from the kitchenaid outlet.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Also just checked and the 600 series is $290 at Costco now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guys he doesn't live in the States; neither of those are an option.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wonder where the guy named "Dane" lives

edit: VVV :thejoke:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder where the guy named "Dane" lives
Denmark, of course.