Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Oddhair posted:

Dick, you don't want to be IT and video support, trust me on this one (though of course you'll be asked.)

Oh I hear you. I'm only looking for options that will make things easier for everyone including me. For the individual screens one of those basic boxes to accept a single VGA or HDMI input will be enough, just so people won't have to fiddle with connecting directly to the display. The box can easily be attached to the conference room table and the cables buried if they want to spend the money.

The dual display one is going to be the troublesome one but even so if it can't be made to work in a straightforward fashion then it's just not going to happen. They can enjoy staring at one dark screen all the drat time while they use the other one.

The wireless thing looks cool and easy but is pretty darn expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Ok so i'm curious. What would y'all do if you had a coworker who is giving out really bad/wrong info on a customer call, what would you do?

There are basically two schools of thought:
1) correct him as best you can
2) let him dig his own hole

Around here, witha specific coworker, if I do #1, he gets all upset and won't talk to me for a week or so out of butthurtedness.

If I do #2, he gets butthurt when his info ends up being wrong, and then does the same thing.

This isn't really a big earth shattering deal, but i'm curious what any of y'all would do given a situation like this. I am usually defaulting to #2 lately.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just do 2 if he's going to be a baby about it either way, your boss isn't going to do anything about it, and it's not going to otherwise affect you at all.

Or have your boss talk to him about taking constructive criticism like someone who's not 14.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

KennyTheFish posted:

Is it a VM? If so regular snapshots.

No, worse, it's the second oldest physical machine in our infrastructure, running an EOL operating system.

We were able to talk the CTO down to "hey, you only need to actually read things, so here's sudo ls, sudo cat, sudo more, and sudo grep, have a ball."

My boss then asked me to triple-check that we can do a successful backup restore, during which time I found out how much of a pain the OS vendor made it to get their EOL stuff.

Yay, I get to make a VM clone of a running system! What could possibly go wrong?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Why can't you just p2v it? That would save you lots of grief, especially if it's something like an application server that doesn't store data.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably has a lovely parallel port dongle.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A ticket came in. The customer has submitted some packet captures. The packet captures show traffic that match the customer's description of what traffic should be seen. The customer cannot articulate what the problem is over the phone, but asks us to send us an email with an analysis of the captures. I send them an email to the effect that their captures indicate that traffic is flowing normally.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Gunjin posted:

All this to see if a menu switches, loving crazy, have one of the dozens of minimum wage workers check it. poo poo when I worked at one of those places we had to have a worker go outside and manually switch the menu board from breakfast to lunch, I'm sure they can still spare someone for those 30 seconds it would take to go outside and verify that a computer has done the same thing.

This is more correct, but if they're just checking an event which happens a couple of times a day, why not just record for a couple of minutes on either side of the scheduled change time?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Why can't you just p2v it? That would save you lots of grief, especially if it's something like an application server that doesn't store data.

The vmware converter doesn't support the OS.

The RHEL converter can't convert it while it's running. It's our PXE server, so that's kind of a requirement.

Honestly outside of /var/log there's nothing usually writing on the machine, so I'm going to be safe just doing a dd of the bits that make it boot, repairing the filesystem, then doing an rsync. I've had to do this to the rest of our prehistoric machines. This is the last survivor...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just do 2 if he's going to be a baby about it either way, your boss isn't going to do anything about it, and it's not going to otherwise affect you at all.

Or have your boss talk to him about taking constructive criticism like someone who's not 14.

How ever you handle it, do it in a way that doesn't make you look bad in front of the customer. Internal pissing matches are a very good way of making them lose confidence in your ability to get the job done.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

AlexDeGruven posted:

What's funny about this project is that it exhibits all of the problems that plague projects all the time. Someone comes up with an idea that will work for n locations, provided n is less than say 20. Anywhere from 1 to 20 locations would be fine for the method they're thinking of (though a bit unwieldy at 20, but doable).

But then nobody thinks to do the math and extrapolate out the effort involved when n approaches 100, or 1,000, or in this case 10,000, and they can't understand why their fantastic idea is completely untenable because I tried it at my uncle's house with his camera last week and it worked just fine why can't we make this work on that scale?

For some reason this problem reminds me of that thread around here where someone wanted a text file of all of the numbers printed out between 1 and a trillion (or something like that) and someone pointed out that the file would be several terabytes in size.

People (sometimes) understand the concept, but consistently fail to grasp the scale. My mind is boggled at the :stinkeyes: I get when I raise opposition to "make the intern do it" as a viable solution to patching and rebooting a hundred fifty production windows VMs.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

How ever you handle it, do it in a way that doesn't make you look bad in front of the customer. Internal pissing matches are a very good way of making them lose confidence in your ability to get the job done.

most of this is hidden from teh customer, its just internal poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

nitrogen posted:

gently caress him. I hate people that give bullshit wild guess answers. It always sends me haring off in a wild direction when the same problem crops up again later.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

nitrogen posted:

Ok so i'm curious. What would y'all do if you had a coworker who is giving out really bad/wrong info on a customer call, what would you do?

There are basically two schools of thought:
1) correct him as best you can
2) let him dig his own hole

Around here, witha specific coworker, if I do #1, he gets all upset and won't talk to me for a week or so out of butthurtedness.

If I do #2, he gets butthurt when his info ends up being wrong, and then does the same thing.

This isn't really a big earth shattering deal, but i'm curious what any of y'all would do given a situation like this. I am usually defaulting to #2 lately.

I do option 2, as I've already tried option 1 and got the same result you did. When my boss asked about it, I told him that I've tried helping, only to be ignored and later butthurtedness. He claims that he's talked to him about it, but he still pulls the same poo poo, so gently caress that guy.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 12, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

In that case you need to weigh the benefit of correcting him to the cost of potentially making it look like you've got it out for him to management. If these are phone conferences, then IM would be better than correcting him on the phone. If not, I'd say correct him if his misinformation has a negative effect on you, otherwise let him reap what he sows.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Site 4 out of 5 done, only three emergency patches on two services so far (waiting for a fourth tomorrow and a fifth is in the pipeline).

I love explaining to the change manager that yes, this is par for the course with version upgrades on this thing, no we don't have a full test environment, that costs money you know, so please approve my untested emergency change asap tyvm.

Just two confirmed cases where an ambulance dispatch was demonstrably delayed by bugs in the new version so far. :toot:

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Haha. So, an event is coming up where all the coaches might have to be in a different city across the country for a week. This will involve disconnecting their ($150,000 or so) video server, packing it up in an air shipping case, getting it into a hotel, setting it up there, running and terminating cat5 from wherever it is to a bunch of meeting rooms so they can work off of it, and making sure it all works with the hotel internet.

They want me to teach all of these things to the A/V guy so they don't have to pay to send me.

Bahahahahahaha

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

tehloki posted:

Haha. So, an event is coming up where all the coaches might have to be in a different city across the country for a week. This will involve disconnecting their ($150,000 or so) video server, packing it up in an air shipping case, getting it into a hotel, setting it up there, running and terminating cat5 from wherever it is to a bunch of meeting rooms so they can work off of it, and making sure it all works with the hotel internet.

They want me to teach all of these things to the A/V guy so they don't have to pay to send me.

Bahahahahahaha

"No."

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

tehloki posted:

Bahahahahahaha

This sounds like a great idea and I see nothing that could go wrong with it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

tehloki posted:

Bahahahahahaha

How do we get a video feed from hotel security synced to looping yakity sax?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When you look up "penny wise but pound foolish" in the dictionary that's what it uses for an example.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tehloki posted:

Bahahahahahaha

Have they even talked to the hotel about this? I bet even if they sent you, the LAN there will be totally hostile to this plan.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Inspector_666 posted:

Have they even talked to the hotel about this? I bet even if they sent you, the LAN there will be totally hostile to this plan.

They have asked the hotel a bunch of questions, but they don't even know if they'll let us run cables between rooms yet! Isn't it great! This would be happening a week from today and it's pretty much the first I've heard of it. I only got brought into the loop because the A/V guy emailed me to "confirm" that I can just teach him all my networking skills in a few days so they'll be good to go.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm assuming you're going to have to build DHCP, DNS etc into this? Or are they going to have the AV guy running around setting static IPs and editing host files?

Or a Linksys router plugged in backwards and loving up the entire hotel network.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

tehloki posted:

They have asked the hotel a bunch of questions, but they don't even know if they'll let us run cables between rooms yet! Isn't it great! This would be happening a week from today and it's pretty much the first I've heard of it. I only got brought into the loop because the A/V guy emailed me to "confirm" that I can just teach him all my networking skills in a few days so they'll be good to go.

Keep us informed of this. It sounds totally loving horrible but I'm having a great time reading about it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I personally think this sounds like a great plan and I'd feel honored if I was a part of it. It is extremely solid and well thought out, particularly the "not clearing running cables through their hotel past the hotel people yet" part.

J
Jun 10, 2001

tehloki posted:

Bahahahahahaha

Between this and the 10,000 cameras pointed at menus in 1080p project this thread has been pretty loving great lately I must say.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
loving Windows DFS Replication services and its voodoo.

We had a ESX physical host croak last week, and it took a DFS node with it. When the node came back all logs and services reported that they were A-OK, so we didn't think anything of it. Even did a couple test file reps.

Today it all goes to hell. Reports came in that files weren't replicating from node to node. We take a look and sure enough, DFSR is hung. Restart the service and the world comes to an end. Deleted files are coming back, new files are being deleted, file modifications are reverting back to previous state. We do daily backups, so a great deal of work done today is gone.

Meanwhile, DFS status says everything's 100% replicated, even while files are getting blown away in droves. Event logs say everything's OK. Health report says everything's OK.

The replication catchup still hasn't completed yet. I shudder to think what things will look like in the morning.

Of all the services, DFS is this crazy Pandora's box that Microsoft doesn't want you to know about. I seriously hate this role.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Agrikk posted:

My mind is boggled at the :stinkeyes: I get when I raise opposition to "make the intern do it" as a viable solution to patching and rebooting a hundred fifty production windows VMs.

Ain't that what WSUS is for, anyway? Or whatever they call WSUS these days.

Hell, I have to patch kernels and reboot a hundred and fifty Linux systems once every few months; every single one has to be manually coordinated with the department that owns the application on it and each of them has to be rebooted at a different after-hours time on a different day of the week for business reasons. :sigh:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

dennyk posted:

Ain't that what WSUS is for, anyway? Or whatever they call WSUS these days.

Hell, I have to patch kernels and reboot a hundred and fifty Linux systems once every few months; every single one has to be manually coordinated with the department that owns the application on it and each of them has to be rebooted at a different after-hours time on a different day of the week for business reasons. :sigh:

That is exactly what WSUS is for. It just hadn't been implemented due to "resource constraints".

Lord Dudeguy posted:

loving Windows DFS Replication services and its voodoo.

As you've discovered, you have to be really, really careful about reintroducing a down node back into a DFS namespace. The problem is that the node that went down hard still thinks it has current information about the name space and tries to force itself on its partners, and you see that with deleted files coming back, changes being rolled back and new files disappearing.

A common error with down DFS nodes is to go, "Well I'll just delete all files off of the down node before reintroducing it to the namespace and let the files replicate back." But what happens instead is that the node sees PleaseDeleteAllFiles as the most current update to the namespace so instead of pushing files to the recovered node, you end up pushing the delete command to the rest of the namespace, with the accompanying lovely results.

Sorry that you got burned by DFS though. It's a tricky sonofabitch.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 13, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there no sort of sanity checking that occurs that can prevent one node from "out voting" another two?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

How do we get a video feed from hotel security synced to looping yakity sax?

Have KillHour's company do the recording.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

J posted:

Between this and the 10,000 cameras pointed at menus in 1080p project this thread has been pretty loving great lately I must say.

Yeah, I've got to agree. The schadenfreude is remarkable this week.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Caged posted:

I'm assuming you're going to have to build DHCP, DNS etc into this? Or are they going to have the AV guy running around setting static IPs and editing host files?

Or a Linksys router plugged in backwards and loving up the entire hotel network.

The server has 2 network cards, right now one of them is set up to work in the office and play nice with our main firewall and DHCP/DNS/WINS stuff, and one of them is set up to provide WINS and netBIOS for a standalone network (which we use when we take the server to training camp).

What the guy will have to do will be:
-Turn the server on, plug the correct network card into the gigabit switch in the server's travel rack.
-Locate the hotel's wired internet connection and set up my little WRT54G/tomato router to play nice with it and do DHCP and DNS in a sane way, providing an internet connection to any computer on the gigabit switch.
-Run cables from wherever the server is to the meeting rooms, terminate the ends
-Make sure all the computers have SQL and SMB connectivity to the server

It's not a hugely complicated thing but I wouldn't trust a non-networking person to do any of those steps. Maybe I can just teach him how to crimp RJ45 and do the rest with Facetime

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Caged posted:

Is there no sort of sanity checking that occurs that can prevent one node from "out voting" another two?

It's been ages since I've done DFS, but I think you are supposed to remove the node from the namespace first, then bring it back up / fix it, and then rejoin the node. Again, I can't really remember, but I do remember it being fantastically easy to destroy your data with DFS.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Agrikk posted:

As you've discovered, you have to be really, really careful about reintroducing a down node back into a DFS namespace.

So how the heck do you do it? Do you basically have to pre-emptively robocopy the entire volume again before re-introducing the node? If that's the case, then I'd need to set DFSR to manual service startup and not automatic, which is the default.

:edit: ^^^ Dear christ. I'm going to start shopping for a better method. poo poo, SAMBA w/ rsync has better failure recovery features than that.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 13, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

It's been ages since I've done DFS, but I think you are supposed to remove the node from the namespace first, then bring it back up / fix it, and then rejoin the node. Again, I can't really remember, but I do remember it being fantastically easy to destroy your data with DFS.

Sorry to poo poo the thread up but I might as well follow this one through, can you kick the node out the namespace from the hosts that are still up, or do you have to boot it up with the network disabled?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Caged posted:

Sorry to poo poo the thread up but I might as well follow this one through, can you kick the node out the namespace from the hosts that are still up, or do you have to boot it up with the network disabled?

You can punt a node from any online node.

You can even get the DFS admin panel on any server on the domain with a Domain Admin logged in.

DFS is largely defined in Active Directory. If the node came online unexpectedly, the other nodes won't talk to it because they already pulled the latest DFS config. Eventually, the downed node will catch up and stop talking.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Inspector_666 posted:

(my company supports 8 hotels)

I've built private LANs for groups staying at hotels before but they've been well planned in advance and for groups that routinely spend large amounts of money. It can be a pain in the rear end but doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Jeez, this company sometimes.

I probably stepped in it a little, but oh well.

One of the PM's sends out an email basically asking, "Do we have [${SOFTWARE} that you cannot download or use without paying for it] around to install for $CUSTOMER?

Having been through this before (in the previous incarnation of this thread) I jumped down the guys throat pretty much, and boy is he pissed.

Sorry, if you're going to ask if I can do something not-so-nice i'm going to assume you're serious.

• Locked thread