Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LanceKing2200 posted:

This. Someone at Game Freak is laughing their rear end off about the fact that they made the new max EVs for a stat 252, the highest yielding number for level 100 battles, and then changed all of the game's auto-leveling to 50, where 248 is the highest yielding EV spread.

252 is the highest yielding EV spread at 50 if your IV in that stat is odd, i.e. 31. IVs and EVs are kind of weird at 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Looks like it would get wrecked by anything with Infiltrator or Sound based moves. Chandelure would one shot it before it even got a chance to boost, Crobat would be hitting it with Aerial Ace every turn no matter how many times it manages to DT, Volcarona would use Bug Buzz. Hiding behind a sub isn't as good as it used to be, especially if you're using a Mental Herb and have no way to recover that 25% you just chunked off yourself.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
I remember back in the day when Haze was a must on teams for the express purpose of stopping Double Team. And one of the most annoying sets was Double Team Kingdra.

Evasion clause seems pretty reasonable. I mean, do you really want to go up against a Double Team Cradily with Suction Cups?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Couple questions from somebody who put 200 hours in every single screen gameboy gen.

Is the 3ds backwards compatible with pokemon diamond/pearl/platinum/heartgold/soulsilver/black/white/black 2/white 2?

I'm planning on binging through everything I missed before but don't want to buy a second device for it. If not I'll only get X or Y and the below questions only pertain to those games.

What is considered the "best" game in each set for casual, non-tournament enjoyment?

Are any of the starters in gen 4, remade 2, 5 or 6 a newbie trap? I picked charmander(his final form does 100 damage in the TCG, he must be the best pokemon:downs:) in Blue and nearly ended up quitting the game when Brock repeatedly pasted him.

Can the newer games still be enjoyed when playing under the idea that "meaner looking sprite = better pokemon" or is the EV/IV/natures/whatever nonsense more pronounced now?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

Couple questions from somebody who put 200 hours in every single screen gameboy gen.

Is the 3ds backwards compatible with pokemon diamond/pearl/platinum/heartgold/soulsilver/black/white/black 2/white 2?

I'm planning on binging through everything I missed before but don't want to buy a second device for it. If not I'll only get X or Y and the below questions only pertain to those games.

What is considered the "best" game in each set for casual, non-tournament enjoyment?

Are any of the starters in gen 4, remade 2, 5 or 6 a newbie trap? I picked charmander(his final form does 100 damage in the TCG, he must be the best pokemon:downs:) in Blue and nearly ended up quitting the game when Brock repeatedly pasted him.

Can the newer games still be enjoyed when playing under the idea that "meaner looking sprite = better pokemon" or is the EV/IV/natures/whatever nonsense more pronounced now?

1. no

2. All of them (none really comes out ahead aside from Platinum over diamond and pearl and BW2 over BW cuz of move tutors also IIRC platinum has more legendaries and the griseous orb available)

3. All the starts are basically equally viable except Infernape in DPPt who is a monster. Also arguably charmander was a fine starter in Gen I since brock never actually used rock type moves so all you had to do was properly use leer.

4. EV/IV's only matter for competitive battling and the post-game subway/maison/manor analogue.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 12, 2013

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

If by that you mean "can the 3DS play DS games", yes. If by that you mean "can I trade from Gen IV or V to VI", no. (Read the OP.)

Asehujiko posted:

Y. Aromatisse is objectively superior to Slurpuff. (Read the OP.)

Asehujiko posted:

All of the starters in HGSS and Gen V are newbie traps. Don't pick Chespin. (Read the OP.)

Asehujiko posted:

Read the OP.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

It's not explicitly backwards-compatible, but in December they'll be opening a service called Poke Bank, which is a storage app that will allow you to upload your Pokemon from gen 5 and access them from gen 6 games. Unfortunately, there's no way to get things from gen 4 to gen 5 with only one (3)DS, nor is there a way to get things from gen 3 to gen 4 of you have a DS without a GBA port.

Gen 4 best is definitely Platinum. Gen 5 is a bit more up for debate, if you can afford it I'd recommend both 1 and 2 of whichever color you like best, since the 2's ARE direct sequels and not just enhanced remakes like in previous gens, otherwise just B/W1 is probably better than 2.

No, there is nothing as bad as Red/Blue making GBS threads on your for picking Charmander.

You can still happily ignore all of that poo poo and Play With Your Favorites. Even in gen 6, where all of the metagamey numbers are much more accessible, they're not necessary to acknowledge at all in-game.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Crosscontaminant posted:

Y. Aromatisse is objectively superior to Slurpuff. (Read the OP.)

No way X means that Charizard gets to actually be a dragon so you're wrong.

edit:

Rudoku posted:

Or the convenient Metal Claw it gets at level 13ish. Starmie still murders you, though.

Charmander only got metal claw in FR/LG not the original Red/Blue since, y'know, metal wasn't a type back then.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Zoness posted:

3. All the starts are basically equally viable except Infernape in DPPt who is a monster. Also arguably charmander was a fine starter in Gen I since brock never actually used rock type moves so all you had to do was properly use leer.

Or the convenient Metal Claw it gets at level 13ish. Starmie still murders you, though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rudoku posted:

Metal claw didn't exist in Gen I but in FRLG Brock gets Rock Tomb on all his pokemon keeping the relative difficulty of the fight about the same. Oddish and Bellsprout and Pikachu and even Gyarados are all attainable by the time you hit Cerulean City so Misty's not horribly tough either. (Beedril with Twineedle against Starmie :getin:)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 12, 2013

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

LAY-ZX posted:

No, there is nothing as bad as Red/Blue making GBS threads on your for picking Charmander.

I think picking Chikorita in the Gold/Silver games and their remakes is far worse.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

I think picking Chikorita in the Gold/Silver games and their remakes is far worse.

You shut your mouth, I love my Meganium. :colbert:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

Gen 4 can be sent to Gen 5. Gen 5 can be sent to Gen 6 upon Pokemo Bank/Transport's release. This is covered in the OP.

quote:

You can buy whatever you want. But there's less than 100 Pokemon that flat out aren't available at all between both X and Y. Buy one, trade for everything else, you'll be fine.

quote:

I don't know, whichever one you want?

quote:

The older games had these too but you seemed to do fine then, right?

This is also kind of covered in the OP too. Pokemon can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. There's no right or wrong way to play it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Brock really isn't a problem in the orginal Red/Blue with Charmander anyway. They don't have any Rock moves and they have piss for Special, so Ember does them in anyway. And in the remake it actually does better than Metal Claw seeing as they actually have Defense worth a drat. At least that's how I remember it. Starmie will gently caress you up though. It's like the Miltank of Gen I.

Also Y is the best because Skrelp. Which you can trade for over the Internet anyway so it doesn't really matter.

King of the Karp
Oct 8, 2010
So I've been experimenting with the Super Double Battles in the Battle Maison. I got above 50 with a Momoswine + Mega Manectric team, which was way more powerful than I expected it to be, even with my back two pokemon being mostly filler (usually used Noivern + Bisharp). The team just had a lot of raw power, synergistic typings, and good coverage. I'm working on a doubles Trick Room team now, because Trick Room is probably the sweetest attack in Pokemon. Right now I'm rolling with Scrafty and Reuniclus in front, using Fake Out to ensure Reuniclus gets the Trick Room going. They work really well together, and I've been pretty impressed. My back two are Mega Abomasnow and Trevenant. Mega Abomasnow is crazy powerful, and as an added bonus, Magic Guard on Reuniclus prevents him from taking hail damage, so that's cool.

As much as I love Trevenant, he's definitely looking to get replaced. His typing really doesn't synergize well with the rest of the team, and he shares a lot of weaknesses with other key members of the team. So I'm looking for a more synergistic secondary Trick Room setter. Any suggestions? My initial thought was Aromatisse, who resists most of Reuniclus' weaknesses, is slow as gently caress, and can provide support through Aroma Veil and Heal Pulse. Plus she has a lot of good coverage options. Carbink is another option, but seems a bit too low-impact with only four slots.

On that note, can you find Spritzees in hordes anywhere? I don't have any in my friend safari, and would really like to have access to the hidden ability.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

At least that's how I remember it. Starmie will gently caress you up though. It's like the Miltank of Gen I.

Am I a horrible for person for wanting Misty to have a bolt/beam/surf/psychic starmie to make the game actually difficult? :3:.

Oh yeah also pick Infernape in Diamond and Platinum because it's like the only (good) fire type pokemon in the whole game before elite 4. Almost forgot how goofy Flint's team was in D/P. I think it's a bit better in Pt at least.

McDragon posted:

Also Y is the best because Skrelp. Which you can trade for over the Internet anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Is there any way to get an Adaptability skrelp?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 12, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Someone from Japan took one of my Torchics in exchange for a Yveltal. Yip yip.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Shogunate posted:

Can someone please tell me there is a quick way to make sure that my Xerneas is Modest nature or am I going to have to capture it, go through a battle and cutscene and then go check my box?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Put it into you party after the fight and check it mid battle the soft reset if not.

Shogunate posted:

Can't, Summary doesn't show natures anymore. Also it would mean I would get some Attack EV's and I've yet to get a reset bag.
In case you're still wondering, a (possibly) perfect Modest Xerneas looks like 201 HP/135 Atk/115 Def/166 SpA/118 SpD/119 Spe. Also, you can use Kelpsy berries to eliminate Attack EVs, and they come from a Chesto/Persim mutation.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Do genders mean anything?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

noirstronaut posted:

Only on a very specific handful of Pokemon. In most cases, no.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

noirstronaut posted:

If you made this same post in almost any other Games topic, it would probably lead to a pretty big debate.

But, no, not really. It matters in Breeding, moves like Attract, and for certain Pokemon's species (Meowstic, for example).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

noirstronaut posted:

It matters a lot in breeding. In battle, it means absolutely nothing. It's only relevant against a handful of moves.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

It matters a lot in breeding. In battle, it means absolutely nothing. It's only relevant against a handful of moves.

That said, I would probably try for sweepers in different genders if possible.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
It mattered to me back when I made my Shark Antony and Seaopatra Sharpedo / Milotic gimmick team. :v:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zoness posted:

That said, I would probably try for sweepers in different genders if possible.

Yeah I mean it doesn't really effect anything, but I usually try and keep an equal number of males and females.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Any of them really since they are designed to appeal to children but I'd personally go with the Gen 5 games (B/W and B/W2) since they can transfer with X/Y when pokebank opens and don't require beating another game to transfer over since transferring between gens usually requires beating the elite four. I prefer B/W over 2, but 2 has a better post game and some improvements here and there.

In other news I caught a modest shiny female Eevee the other day in a friend safari and while it has flawless HP, Defense and near flawless Speed, it's Attack, Special Defense, and Special Attack are just awful :sigh:.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I just checked the Yveltal I got and apparently it's a 4 IV one in Defense/SpA/SpD/Speed. I feel kinda bad for taking this in exchange for a Poke I can easily get again.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Zoness posted:

Yache berry is also worth considering, but Adamant puts him at definitely losing in speed to Protean Greninja or Starmie (or some other fast sweeper with ice beam).

Dang, I just started breeding for IVs. How big of a deal is the speed difference? I figured it wouldn't really matter since I'd set up with DD anyway, and I could outspeed most stuff with the speed boost.

e: If I have a Compound Eyes-Pokemon leading and I use Sweet Scent to attract ie a horde of Geodudes, is there an increased chance of one of them carrying an item?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

noirstronaut posted:

I just checked the Yveltal I got and apparently it's a 4 IV one in Defense/SpA/SpD/Speed. I feel kinda bad for taking this in exchange for a Poke I can easily get again.
Yveltal and Xerneas always have at least three perfect IVs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Nakar posted:

Yveltal and Xerneas always have at least three perfect IVs.

All legendaries in GenVI, including the birds.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Because if it was legal It'd be seriously ridiculously easy to get a OHKO sweeper set up that'll never miss. No Guard and ability passing.

If you've actually played against, or even just seen a team that tries to do this in doubles, you'd realize that it never actually works. None of the pokemon who learn skill swap can learn OHKO moves so it's a really labor intensive setup.

turn1) pokeA uses skill swap on pokeB who has no guard
turn2) pokeB switches out and the OHKO user pokeC switches in. pokeA uses skill swap on pokeC.
turn3) pokeC gets KO'd if they haven't already been from double targetting the predicted switch-in.

You could save time by using role play with abomasnow or bisharp, but they're both easily killed themselves and have better things to do anyway.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is a Timid Protean Greninja worth using it it has 5 perfect IVs but a totally crap Defense IV?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yes because greninjas defense is still going to be bad even with a 31 def IV

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

deimos posted:

When are the bird's stats generated ??

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

deimos posted:

And the babies.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

astr0man posted:

Yes because greninjas defense is still going to be bad even with a 31 def IV

But will it change a breloom's mach punch from a 99% to an OHKO?

Off the top of my head most of the good checks to Greninja are going to be using special moves or OHKO with a pretty high margin on physical moves anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zoness posted:

But will it change a breloom's mach punch from a 99% to an OHKO?

Off the top of my head most of the good checks to Greninja are going to be using special moves anyway though?

I doubt it would. You'll be fine with a Greninja with a less than perfect Defense IV. Tangentially related, would a Timid Greninja with a Sp. Def IV around 20 be wrecked by its normal checks?

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I decided to bring my Multiscale Dragonite to some Restaurant Le WoW battles last night. This morning I realized that its held item had disappeared. I didn't even realize it had been triggered.

I guess that Weakness Policy is gone forever now, huh? Doh. I'm not looking forward to grinding out more BP without it.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

nippon nifties posted:

When are the bird's stats generated ??

When you encounter them in the Sea Spirit's Den.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Huge Liability posted:

I decided to bring my Multiscale Dragonite to some Restaurant Le WoW battles last night. This morning I realized that its held item had disappeared. I didn't even realize it had been triggered.

I guess that Weakness Policy is gone forever now, huh? Doh. I'm not looking forward to grinding out more BP without it.

Sorry, the mansion and online restore everything to the pre-battle state after a battle, but everything else will use up the one time use items like weakness policy and focus sashes or berries.

• Locked thread