Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
For better or for worse, that only happens when companies have a monopoly. Windows had like a 97% market share when MS got smacked around by the DOJ and EU.

If you long-press one of those auto-parsed links, you get the option to copy it to the clipboard, which is the best solution for now. For what it's worth, I've had no issues with Maps.app when I have the address of a destination. Their location search, though, is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

PFlats posted:

If you long-press one of those auto-parsed links, you get the option to copy it to the clipboard, which is the best solution for now. For what it's worth, I've had no issues with Maps.app when I have the address of a destination. Their location search, though, is terrible.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. These are text messages for calls for the fire company, listing only street address (not city or state). Apple maps often takes you to another city, seemingly not taking current location into account. Pasting into Google Maps usually works fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Suqit posted:

As recommended earlier in this thread to you, use Livescore addicts for soccer.

But I still need basketball.

smackfu posted:

Mine works fine:

That's promising I guess. I was home all day, and I get a full 5 dots/bars here and am always on wifi so I'm not sure why it did that. Maybe I'll reinstall it and see …

What's a good app for tracking workouts?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

But I still need basketball.

That's promising I guess. I was home all day, and I get a full 5 dots/bars here and am always on wifi so I'm not sure why it did that. Maybe I'll reinstall it and see …

What's a good app for tracking workouts?

Strong is good. Other people like Fitocracy.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strong-workout-tracker/id464254577?mt=8

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Runkeeper for running/walking/biking.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PFlats posted:

For better or for worse, that only happens when companies have a monopoly. Windows had like a 97% market share when MS got smacked around by the DOJ and EU.
It was more cause the abuse of the power by pressuring all the OEMs wasn't it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

japtor posted:

It was more cause the abuse of the power by pressuring all the OEMs wasn't it?

There was quite a lot going on, the browser thing was just one part of it. I think the EU was much tougher on Microsoft in that regard, Windows in Europe is required to present the user with a list of options for web browsers after a clean install.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Erwin posted:

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. These are text messages for calls for the fire company, listing only street address (not city or state). Apple maps often takes you to another city, seemingly not taking current location into account. Pasting into Google Maps usually works fine.
Ugh, that's my biggest complaint about Apple Maps and it's a travesty that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Fitocracy has been on a downward spiral for a while now; their backend is pretty poo poo and breaks all the time and their apps are even more poo poo and break all the time too. I used to recommend it, but I'd avoid it if I were you. From the Fitocracy thread in YLLS:

Fhqwhgads posted:

I lifted for a bit with the guy who wrote [the Fitocracy] app. He doesn't use it, either :v:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PFlats posted:

Ugh, that's my biggest complaint about Apple Maps and it's a travesty that it hasn't been fixed yet.
Fitocracy has been on a downward spiral for a while now; their backend is pretty poo poo and breaks all the time and their apps are even more poo poo and break all the time too. I used to recommend it, but I'd avoid it if I were you. From the Fitocracy thread in YLLS:

I like Strong because it's all locally stored and I can put in any exercise I want. Fitocracy doesn't have all the stuff I do and it's a little annoying. I also don't care about points or being social with it. Strong is a step up from writing it all down, although it has crashed on me a few times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I track my workouts by taking selfies in the bathroom so I can document every millimeter of muscle gain.

Then I upload them to instagram with fifty hashtags.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Honestly, I think the best app for tracking workouts is leaving a Field Notes and a pencil in your gym bag. A 99c pocket spiral notebook also works if you're not a notebook hipster.

Every app I've tried is way more of a pain than just writing Squat 5x410 5x450 7x510 fail. I'd use Fitocracy when I got home to motivate myself vs my old gym buddies who are a few states away now, but it's not worth fighting with their app and website any more.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I still use Fitocracy but only because it's got everything I've done for the last 2 years or whatever stored. I wouldn't recommend it for new users at all.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Anyone else having serious crashing problems with the NPR News app? I use it a lot and it seems to crash once a day. It doesn't even open, I just see the main screen and it quits out. I have to delete and reinstall to fix this. I'm on a 5S, ios 7.0.3

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PFlats posted:

Honestly, I think the best app for tracking workouts is leaving a Field Notes and a pencil in your gym bag. A 99c pocket spiral notebook also works if you're not a notebook hipster.

Every app I've tried is way more of a pain than just writing Squat 5x410 5x450 7x510 fail. I'd use Fitocracy when I got home to motivate myself vs my old gym buddies who are a few states away now, but it's not worth fighting with their app and website any more.

I used to do this with pieces of paper and it worked for I really would prefer to have it all stored electronically so I can play/graph the data and whatnot. Strong looks pretty good. I'll try to find some reviews of it before dropping $5.

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I gave in and downloaded ESPN Scorecenter again and made a fake account and added some teams. I'm specifically telling basketball teams to push me a message every quarter and at game start, and I tell my soccer teams to push me a message whenever someone scores and the halftime and final time scores.

From the week of using Scorecenter I think it's a piece of poo poo because it just does not work. I'm looking at my notification screen right now and I have two notifications:

1) A score for a basketball game at the end of the third quarter. Where the hell was my game start, end of first, end of second, and final score (the game has since ended)?

2) For an international soccer game, I only got one message about the team's 3rd point. No messages about the game start, the first two points, the half time score nor the final time score.

Like I said I've used this app for a week now and it's always missing notifications so this was just today.

How can anyone recommend this app?

Try the Yahoo Sports app. Suits my needs.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
I need a recommendation for an app that can simply and effectively sync notes.

Basically, I will have a script on my main PC and I want to read it on my iPad in my recording studio in the other room.
What is the simplest solution here? I really just want to paste the text somewhere on my PC, and when I open up the iPad app it's just there. (No lengthy sync process).

Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Notes via icloud.com and the Notes app on iOS will do that, but it's far from the best option ever.

It is fast and reliable though and you already have all the necessary accounts created to use it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I think the best app for workout tracking (specifically lifting - use runkeeper or strava for running/cycling) is JeFit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

Notes via icloud.com and the Notes app on iOS will do that, but it's far from the best option ever.

It is fast and reliable though and you already have all the necessary accounts created to use it.

If you're not on a Mac, use Evernote instead. It has Mac/PC applications too.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

IUG posted:

If you're not on a Mac, use Evernote instead. It has Mac/PC applications too.

iCloud.com is a website. You don't need a Mac to view a website.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
Thanks for the tips - I didn't want to use evernote since it seemed far too cumbersome for what I need. I ended up doing a bit of research and sound Simplenote. It's basically Evernote but only plain text, and the sync is practically instant to my ipad.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Despoiler posted:

Thanks for the tips - I didn't want to use evernote since it seemed far too cumbersome for what I need. I ended up doing a bit of research and sound Simplenote. It's basically Evernote but only plain text, and the sync is practically instant to my ipad.

The new Simplenote is great and absolutely the best text-only note solution.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've always been put off with the IAP in Simplenote. What's behind the premium paywall?

It's put me off even trying it since Notes work ok

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

101 posted:

I've always been put off with the IAP in Simplenote. What's behind the premium paywall?

It disable ads, I think.

edit: ATM it does nothing, apparently?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

101 posted:

iCloud.com is a website. You don't need a Mac to view a website.

I did not know it had a website where it was anything substantial. I haven't tired going to that site for years (back when it was MobileMe or whatever it was when you could have your own website on it).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Despoiler posted:

Simplenote on phone & ResophNotes on desktop is the best combination I've found (despite moaning about it a few pages ago).

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Try Notesy on iPhone, Nvalt on your computer, and Dropbox for sync.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Dark Sky is free as the Pick of The Week through the Starbuck's app (if you use that). Although if you don't, there's no reason why you can't download it just to get a free app or song each week.

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight

Kruxy posted:

Dark Sky is free as the Pick of The Week through the Starbuck's app (if you use that). Although if you don't, there's no reason why you can't download it just to get a free app or song each week.

Came here to post this info as well. Finally a Stabucks free app I'd been wanting. Thanks for the heads up.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

The Batman posted:

Came here to post this info as well. Finally a Stabucks free app I'd been wanting. Thanks for the heads up.

I downloaded the Starbucks app but I don't see anyway of getting Dark Sky, any ideas?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The messages section will give you a free app/song every week. May need to create an account with Starbucks first.

Alternatively go to your local store and look around for the actual physical cards, they're usually be the registers or pick up counters.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

SpookyLizard posted:

The messages section will give you a free app/song every week. May need to create an account with Starbucks first.

Alternatively go to your local store and look around for the actual physical cards, they're usually be the registers or pick up counters.

From what I've noticed, if you don't have the app installed when the message goes out you're out of luck.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Just click this link to get Dark Sky: http://www.starbucks.com/MobileNotification/GetiTunesRedirect?assetID=331

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

I am in a Starbucks and this link doesn't work. I see new Paul McCartney cards so maybe dark sky is over. gently caress!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Worked for me! Danke.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

voltron posted:

I am in a Starbucks and this link doesn't work. I see new Paul McCartney cards so maybe dark sky is over. gently caress!

I have no idea why it's not working for you, worked fine for my friend like two minutes ago. Sorry. :(

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
That is weird. It just clears the address bar and Safari on the iphone does nothing. I even tried Atomic Web Browser and nothing. Clicked it form the Awful App and the same nothing! Guess I'll stick to Forecast.io

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

voltron posted:

That is weird. It just clears the address bar and Safari on the iphone does nothing. I even tried Atomic Web Browser and nothing. Clicked it form the Awful App and the same nothing! Guess I'll stick to Forecast.io

Same for me. Although I have never once been able to get any of the free apps or music from the Starbucks app, ever. It always says that "it is taking a while for your download. Please try again in a few minutes. "

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Not sure if this will work for anyone else but after I clicked the link I got that blank screen as well. I then went straight back to my browser and it asked for my iTunes password. It downloaded immediately after I authenticated.

Seems like the process is broken as hell but I got the app and it works fine, so I guess it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

What's the best google talk client at the moment for iOS? I'd use Google Hangouts but it doesn't work with the party chat software my friends like to use and also doesn't have a desktop client (outside of chrome).

I was using Beejive which was pretty good except it seems like it's been totally abandoned by the developers and is acting crazy under ios7 (no portrait rotation? :()

I just want something simple, pleasant to use, that stays logged in even if I'm not currently in the app (but the app is running) and is universal. Multiclient is nice but not a must, just googletalk compatibility. I'm ok with paying more than a buck for something good (beejive was/is pricey in the day).

All the apps I see when search the App Store have almost universally negative reviews and seem abandoned by their devs.

Help. :(

Edit: Not to keen on imo. I don't want to have to create another account just to connect to an account I already have.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 14, 2013

• Locked thread