Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can finally have my favourite Disney princess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

PriorMarcus posted:

That reminds me, Fire Brigade, Pet Shop and Grand Emporium are finishing this year.

LEGO store guy told me this yesterday as well. Same with Haunted House and maybe the Super Star Destroyer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ugh. I was hoping my source was wrong. I really want Pet Shop and Grand Emporium but there's no way I can afford both. I also know they won't stick around. Balls.

I wanted the Haunted House too but I'm less in love with it given it won't fit in on my street without heavy modifications.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd ponder getting another Pet Shop so I could have a couple of brownstones next to eachother. Then make the other petshop into something else. Bookstore maybe.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

That reminds me, Fire Brigade, Pet Shop and Grand Emporium are finishing this year.

That's good to know. I just picked up the Pet Shop in October, so good timing.

My modular collection remains complete/completable.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Dammit, gonna need to get the Pet Shop now rather than later.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Source? Pet shop is such a great set, very surprised to see it go now.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

I say you build out the bottom out of layered wing pieces, similar to the top. I'm a giant sucker for that look though.

Kind of like what this guy did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rival_m/5008868807/in/photostream/

I'm kinda liking how this is turning out on my ship. I need another pair of the 2x4 wings for strength in one section, but need to wait for my orders to come in. Don't think I'm going to mess with it until I get the parts to build the ship with correct colors. Undecided on if I want the layered wing look to be blue or gray at this point. I think once I get the other colors starting to be correct, it will be easier to decide.

I rebuilt the whole middle assembly behind the cockpit. Now the cockpit hinge is integrated with the engine compartment which is integrated with the rocket cylinders and it's much stronger. Of course with all the changes I made today, I'll have to make another order before everything is done(it will never be done).

I still have a problem with it being front heavy, but I think the rocket boosters on the back will help with that. Right now it sits on the plate under the rocket pods and without building a landing gear in front, it definitely leans forward.

Bottom with layered wings:

Rear view i think will look good when I have the rocket boosters:

Top view with engine compartment open:

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Oh man all those 2014 sets...I better start buying some lottery tickets fund this lego addiction! I am so excited to see all the Disney Princess lego's!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
There's some movie sets up in the lego shop. More pictures and the description gives a bit more insight into the plot. It sounds completely bonkers. You can zoom the images and see box art as well.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/THE-LEGO-MOVIE-ByTheme

Accessories include big boy’s pants

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That loving unicorn cat! :kimchi:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I swear before I zoomed in on the cat I thought it was prof. genki.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Voiced by Alison Brie :love:

The_Doctor posted:

I can finally have my favourite Disney princess!

Hadn't thought of that. Beyond Disney Princess' popularity in general, hacking (for want of a better word) them is such a big pop culture thing at the moment that I could see these being massively popular just for people recreating their favourite current princess trope.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Disney Princess' is such a clever line. It's going to earn them more money than they know what to do with, just like Star Wars.

I'm surprised the Cars sets didn't sell better than they appear to have done, but I think they kind of mis marketed them as play sets when they should've been Racer sets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Metalbeard mech is everything I have ever wanted in lego, or anything really. Also that cop car looks pretty cool.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
The Cars line worked well for the Duplo blocks. When my son was 2 he was thrilled with the line. Now that he is 4, he is more in to real looking cars then fake looking cars, so he loves the Lego race cars. I tried showing him some of the Cars sets in the lego line, but doesn't like them anymore "Cars aren't supposed to have eyes and talk mom". hahaha

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Rathina posted:

The Cars line worked well for the Duplo blocks. When my son was 2 he was thrilled with the line. Now that he is 4, he is more in to real looking cars then fake looking cars, so he loves the Lego race cars. I tried showing him some of the Cars sets in the lego line, but doesn't like them anymore "Cars aren't supposed to have eyes and talk mom". hahaha

Well the eyes are in lieu of a perfectly good windshield, which has endless applications!

Also: that tiltrotor :getin:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I look forward to this, I am a sucker for camper vans:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt notice Metalbeard's arm the first time. SHARK PUNCH.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

MichaelFlatley posted:

This looks like a regular space helmet rather than classic to me

Definitely NuSpace helmet. Which means there's no reason for the chinstrap to be broken.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tanith posted:

Also: that tiltrotor :getin:

Yeah I'm getting that one so bad so I simply adore tiltrotors. :swoon:
I've got the minifig tiltrotor kit slated for Christmas gift as well.
Just need to see if I can build a second one of the creator one in grey or not after it comes out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new city vehicles look great. A bit less of the "standard truck cab" plus custom back which was getting old.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So you guys wanna work at Lego as a designer? Read this :)

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303460004579193901642418812?mod=WSJ_hps_MIDDLE_Video_second

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd never get hired because I'd keep demanding blue and grey bricks and make everything into a space ship.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

I'd never get hired because I'd keep demanding blue and grey bricks and make everything into a space ship.

Same here. I've got a gallon bag full of red and white bricks(I guess everyone bought me police and fireman sets) from my childhood that just sits there until I'm missing a piece in blue or gray and need a placeholder.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

ltr posted:

Same here. I've got a gallon bag full of red and white bricks(I guess everyone bought me police and fireman sets) from my childhood that just sits there until I'm missing a piece in blue or gray and need a placeholder.

I've found building by color to be an interesting way to stretch my imagination and skill. Limits create innovation, after all.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Captain Magic posted:

I've found building by color to be an interesting way to stretch my imagination and skill. Limits create innovation, after all.

I agree with that sentiment about limits. When there's barely any customer traffic in the store, sometimes I'll go over to the pick-a-brick wall or the play brick and just start building microscale spaceships out of whatever parts I can pull out. I've made many different ships with varied aesthetics doing that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hi I'm back. Definitely suffered some LDD burnout.

Skycrow 5KI-CR0 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

ether
May 20, 2001

Personalized MOC-time again, this time for my brother-in-law, he's done some awesome papercraft things and I lego-ized one.

Original

Lego-version

edit (better angle I guess):

ether fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 17, 2013

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I was feeling packs and found a light saber handle... bought it, and it turns out it was a Mr. Gold!

So. What the poo poo am I supposed to do with this guy now?

Will it appreciate in value? Should I dump it now or what?

Can I put it together inside the li'l cellophane bag it comes in? Will that deplete its value?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 18, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I was feeling packs and found a light saber handle... bought it, and it turns out it was a Mr. Gold!

Will it appreciate in value should I dump it now or what?

can I put it together inside the bag will that deplete its value?

You're supposed to sell it to me for $20 :)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

You're supposed to sell it to me for $20 :)

That's like a 1000% return on investment! How can I say "no?"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RodShaft posted:

Will it appreciate in value? Should I dump it now or what?

Can I put it together inside the li'l cellophane bag it comes in? Will that deplete its value?

Wait, have you opened it or not?

If it's unopened, don't open it.

If it's opened, put it in a sealed bag. Supposedly, the gold paint flakes off pretty easily.

I'd probably try to sell it online, with eBay as a last resort.

Edit: Oh, I see. Don't open the little cellophane bag.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

RodShaft posted:

That's like a 1000% return on investment! How can I say "no?"

Exactly! :D ...are you serious?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Exactly! :D ...are you serious?

The time to sell Mr. Gold for big bucks was when the series first debuted. Now that there are plenty of him out there, the price has come down quite a bit. There are several Mr. Golds on eBay for $15-20ish.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Red posted:

Wait, have you opened it or not?

If it's unopened, don't open it.

If it's opened, put it in a sealed bag. Supposedly, the gold paint flakes off pretty easily.

I'd probably try to sell it online, with eBay as a last resort.

Edit: Oh, I see. Don't open the little cellophane bag.

So you don't think it's going to go up in value? That sheet has a code and the run number. I haven't registered it yet.

So gold flake problem means I probably shouldn't put it together in the bag. Sad, because I'm super excited about just seeing one.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Red posted:

The time to sell Mr. Gold for big bucks was when the series first debuted. Now that there are plenty of him out there, the price has come down quite a bit. There are several Mr. Golds on eBay for $15-20ish.

Legit official ones with code sell for $400-500.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

RodShaft posted:

So you don't think it's going to go up in value? That sheet has a code and the run number. I haven't registered it yet.

So gold flake problem means I probably shouldn't put it together in the bag. Sad, because I'm super excited about just seeing one.

It might go up in value after several years, but who knows? If Mr. Gold is the only chase figure they ever do, then possibly - but I kind of doubt they'll never do another chase.

I'd personally say you should hang on to him, and trade him to a goon for something you really want.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

RodShaft posted:

Legit official ones with code sell for $400-500.

Oh, for cripes' sake - you're right. I didn't notice that just about every figure on eBay was custom. Ignore everything I've said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Sell him then spend everything you make on awesome huge sets. Like the crocodile boat, or the camper van.