Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Reported this for lack of punctuation in the quoted text.

I'm usually not too keen on using credit to buy things but I want a new pc REALLY loving BAD. Apparently with newegg I can get 12 months interest free and if I pay 200 a month my new machine will be paid off in 6 months. My wife is pretty skeptical. I was originally gonna save 400 a month for 3 months and pay cash but I can get my poo poo now and there's less chance I'll blow my savings on bourbon.

Tell me how awesome of an idea this is so I can convince her that if the internet agrees then I should do it.

Just make sure you pay that poo poo off. If you read around there's horror stories about skyrocketing interest rates if you let that year expire. If you pay it though, it's great. It's what I used when I built my computer last winter. Paid it off when my tax refund came in and didn't have a single problem.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Reported this for lack of punctuation in the quoted text.

I'm usually not too keen on using credit to buy things but I want a new pc REALLY loving BAD. Apparently with newegg I can get 12 months interest free and if I pay 200 a month my new machine will be paid off in 6 months. My wife is pretty skeptical. I was originally gonna save 400 a month for 3 months and pay cash but I can get my poo poo now and there's less chance I'll blow my savings on bourbon.

Tell me how awesome of an idea this is so I can convince her that if the internet agrees then I should do it.

That's a very enlisted idea.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I've done this with my last two laptop purchases from newegg. As long as you pay it off before the 12 months, you're good. If you don't, you get the full year's worth of 20-something % interest added on. No reason not to do it, really.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Just make sure you pay that poo poo off. If you read around there's horror stories about skyrocketing interest rates if you let that year expire. It's what I used when I built my computer last winter.

Yeah even though it's "interest free", interest is still accruing at 25% or something insane and if you don't pay it by the year end they just dump a full year's interest on you. I can totally afford it but my wife is being lame about it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
What the gently caress kind of super computer are you building for 1200 bucks?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah post your Amazon shopping cart so we can help you avoid making a bad decision

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

What the gently caress kind of super computer are you building for 1200 bucks?

It's not that outrageous if he's getting a decent mobo/CPU combo, and a high-end graphics card.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

It's not that outrageous if he's getting a decent mobo/CPU combo, and a high-end graphics card.

Yeah not crazy but I don't want to let a brother buy a $200 Soundblaster ya know?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
poo poo son, I spent 800 bucks when I built my rig 2 years back, and the only thing I've done to it since is get a 670gtx and a water cooler for the cpu, and it runs all the video james real good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm TDY and playing BF4, buying this $800 laptop was the best decision I made in a long time

it is not an alienware.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Fallom posted:

Yeah not crazy but I don't want to let a brother buy a $200 Soundblaster ya know?

please, pros run Xonar now.

Here's mine:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Xonar-D2X-Sound-Black/dp/B0011BC1FO

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have a Xonar DG in my desktop but I disabled it when I ran into some driver issues I think.

It was like $30, I think I bought it because I figured the onboard sound was taking some percentage of CPU cycles to run and wanted to minimize that

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

No one buys sound cards anymore, stop trolling. Mods?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

enjoy your low quality sound

scrub

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I made my newegg wish list public but I can't figure out how to share it.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 13, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

This.
I paid about $1300 for my system but I went out for a good monitor, and overclock ready CPU/Mobo. It can be pricy fast.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I made my newegg wish list public but I can't figure out how to share it.

You can put together the same list on pcpartpicker.com and we can be little you for shameful poor people choices.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I bet he's got a tricked out Voodoo FX rig.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I edited my post above but here it is again

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
As an AMD processor buyer I

Serious edit: unless you plan to do video editing or something you Dont need or want an i7

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I edited my post above but here it is again

Cut the RAM down to 8gb and switch to an EVGA card. Also consider an i5 chip especially one with a K suffix. Overclock that poo poo easily.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok that seems like a rad config. PSU seems a little pricy though, I have a 650 W that I bought for like $50.

Maybe get a different brand vid card and see if you can get 4 GB memory for just a little more.

Also why i7? i5 will do just fine for games and paying the premium for i7 never seemed worth it.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Fallom posted:

Ok that seems like a rad config. PSU seems a little pricy though, I have a 650 W that I bought for like $50.

Maybe get a different brand vid card and see if you can get 4 GB memory for just a little more.

Also why i7? i5 will do just fine for games and paying the premium for i7 never seemed worth it.

I have no idea. Bigger numbers? I'll go for an i5 as well then.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Fallom posted:

If there's one thing to overspend on in a PC build it's the power supply. Buy something you know is good, XFX, Corsair, etc

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Do you plan to overclock your CPU?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Cut the RAM down to 8gb

Ignore this part.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Cut the ram down too. 16 gb will go unused for most everything outside of heavy media production like movie editing poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gleep gloop posted:

If there's one thing to overspend on in a PC build it's the power supply. Buy something you know is good, XFX, Corsair, etc

Yeah I bought a corsair 650 W PSU at best buy for $50 but it was on sale sooo $100+ seems like a bit much

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

gleep gloop posted:

Do you plan to overclock your CPU?

Not at all. Got this bitch down to 1008. I don't need a case or monitor or anything so all these parts are what I have. I'm conflicted on RAM.

edit: Gonna stick with 8.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Memory is cheap though, you will eventually toss in another 8GB so you could drop it or just toss it in now.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Not at all. Got this bitch down to 1008. I don't need a case or monitor or anything so all these parts are what I have. I'm conflicted on RAM.

In that case you want this processor: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54570

That is the one you want, that motherboard is fine. A K series is able to overclock but costs a (little) bit more. You may want a K series though to extend the life of your system but if you don't plan on overclcocking that is the CPU to get.

Edit: Didn't see that was the micro ATX board, listen to Kung

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 13, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Cut the ram down too. 16 gb will go unused for most everything outside of heavy media production like movie editing poo poo.

poo poo loads faster. I've got an SSD and 12GB of RAM and people with 24 load Bf4 maps way faster than I do.

Edit: When I have an extra $100 or so I'm going to double up.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
At the price I have it at now I think I can convince my wife that 100 dollars of MY OWN GODDAMNED MONEY (I have a $400 a month "allowance"... I'm such a shameful man) for 10 months is totally doable. I'll buy this poo poo tomorrow and hopefully I can be playing Battlefield 4 by the weekend.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

poo poo loads faster. I've got an SSD and 12GB of RAM and people with 24 load Bf4 maps way faster than I do.

Edit: When I have an extra $100 or so I'm going to double up.

An SSD will be worth it more than ram and he's already got one. Waste of money IMO. Use that cash during a Steam sale.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

If you buy a monitor I can't recommend this one enough

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

Asus V238H. Very low input lag. This is one of the monitors that's touted as the standard one for fighting game tournaments, and it's a good price- it's really useful for shooters and stuff too, and a good price.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
please dont get a micro atx board holy poo poo. Also I hear Haswell cpus are poo poo, go with an Ivy Bridge.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

If you buy a monitor I can't recommend this one enough

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

Asus V238H. Very low input lag. This is one of the monitors that's touted as the standard one for fighting game tournaments, and it's a good price- it's really useful for shooters and stuff too, and a good price.

This is my monitor, I think you recommended it actually, and I love it. Really good value for the price to.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

At the price I have it at now I think I can convince my wife that 100 dollars of MY OWN GODDAMNED MONEY (I have a $400 a month "allowance"... I'm such a shameful man) for 10 months is totally doable. I'll buy this poo poo tomorrow and hopefully I can be playing Battlefield 4 by the weekend.

lol your situation sounds a bit weird but you know your finances. Just don't go past a year, that's a TON of interest.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

please dont get a micro atx board holy poo poo. Also I hear Haswell cpus are poo poo, go with an Ivy Bridge.

drat I meant to get a regular ATX anyway. 20 bucks more and much more space for poo poo.

Edit: Haha I already have that Asus monitor!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
And if you don't have a gamepad, a PS4 controller works pretty great. Picked up a spare one today and got it working with Crysis 3 in about 2 minutes.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
I'm for real on the Haswell poo poo

some nerd posted:

These different names indicate different generations of the "core i" CPU's from intel. The 2nd generation "sandy bride" chips are good but are a little old now. The 3rd gen "ivy bridge" cpu's are the pinnacle of this architecture with the best power to performance ratio. The 4th gen "haswell" chips are a step backwards as they do not offer a significant performance increase over the previous generation, use more power, run hotter and cost more as do the 1150 motherboards needed to use them. I hope this helps a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Thanks for yelling at me and helping pick a non-overpriced pc.

• Locked thread