Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gleep gloop posted:

This is my monitor, I think you recommended it actually, and I love it. Really good value for the price to.

Yeah, I have it hooked up to my PC and my PS3, and have been 100% satisfied with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
^^^^^
Dude have you seen the NBA 2K14 review on IGN? It sold me on the game.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Thanks for yelling at me and helping pick a non-overpriced pc.

Did you pick up thermal compound for mounting the CPU onto the motherboard?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've got some lying around from a year or so ago when I replaced the heatsink on my current cpu. I'm good on accessories and things.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

An SSD will be worth it more than ram and he's already got one. Waste of money IMO. Use that cash during a Steam sale.

If he were trying to decide between the two, I'd agree to get an SSD first. But I have an SSD (and BF4 is installed to it), and 12 GB of RAM sucks.

Edit: V drat YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

I have both. It's not a waste.

WELL YOUR WRONG

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

^^^^^

You shouldn't need to add any additional thermal compound to your CPU beyond what's already there on the heat sink when you take it out of the box. Unless you're overclocking and then ignore me.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
This cpu is like 100 bucks cheaper and it will probably do you solid bro. Thats 100 bucks more for booze :cheers:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

^^^^^

NBA2k has been fuckin killin it since they got Jordan in the game.

Seriously, I played so many fuckin matches of classic Magic Johnson Lakers vs Pedostache Larry Bird in NBA2k12. It's seriously the best sports game I've played since NFL2k5. They just nailed the fun of the game and making the stadiums/players look good as hell.

The cloth physics in the trailer look insane though. Blew me away like seeing NFK2k on Dreamcast for the first time.

edit: posting this because 2k12 was so fuckin good and man I wish they'd put the 1992 dream team into a game. Or, hell, make Summer Olympics 1992 Basketball: The Game, and have Charles Barkley elbowing the gently caress outta some Angolan dudes and calling him a skinny motherfucker to his face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnCZsD9txU

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 13, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Thanks for yelling at me and helping pick a non-overpriced pc.

I may be piggy-backing on your parts list because I've been wanting to build a desktop for a minute.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eybnjY7EdsA

holy poo poo this looks good as hell

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
i'm running 8GB ram with an ssd and i seem to be one of the first to load in every map always can grab whatever chopper i want right away

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

i'm running 8GB ram with an ssd and i seem to be one of the first to load in every map always can grab whatever chopper i want right away

Yeah you always seem to load a few seconds faster than me in BF4. What SSD and CPU do you have?

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

gleep gloop posted:

Yeah you always seem to load a few seconds faster than me in BF4. What SSD and CPU do you have?

i5-3570k and samsung 830 series 128gb ssd

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

That's what sold me hard on the game. It just looks fun as poo poo.

Same. That's why I'm very dubious about adding RAM to help with loading times. I beat almost everyone into maps with just 8 gb and an ssd. Even if it did matter, a few seconds of waiting is not worth 50 bucks or whatever to me.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

i5-3570k and samsung 830 series 128gb ssd

Weird, basically the same.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have an i5-2500k and an intel 240GB SSD and I load about the same speed usually. I just don't fly choppers so I sit there.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

gleep gloop posted:

Do you plan to overclock your CPU?

Out of abject curiosity, why not? A standard 5-10% OC is super easy, and 5-10% is so common that nearly every CPU/MOBO combo will have an "optimal settings" posted. Such a low OC is unlikely to break your rig or require a special sink, and totally worth the 1-2 hours spent doing the research. Just curious.

E; Should be possible with your chosen MOBO now too

Sacrilage fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 13, 2013

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
If you use the GI bill to get a computer, your case should have a "Powered by GIBIll" badge on it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Powered by Welfare

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Actual edit: I'm crazy, I don't absolutely need to update poo poo right now.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 13, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My Pell Grant money got bumped up by a bit ever since the USAF hosed up my sep pay and I filed another loss of income appeal. Congratulations, Sony. You now get a taste of that sweet, sweet government welfare queen money.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

elite_garbage_man posted:

If you use the GI bill to get a computer, your case should have a "Powered by GIBIll" badge on it.

Haha I would love that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd kill to get another Waverunner game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I just want Doom 4 to finally be made. I know I'm part of a very slim majority that really liked Rage, but man Doom is just completely my poo poo.

If they made new episodes for the Doom 2 engine I'd buy that poo poo day 1.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I just want Doom 4 to finally be made. I know I'm part of a very slim majority that really liked Rage, but man Doom is just completely my poo poo.

If they made new episodes for the Doom 2 engine I'd buy that poo poo day 1.

Everything that involved shooting in Rage was awesome. The combat mechanics and shoot-y bits were incredible. I still maintain that the Rage engine would be amazing for a Fallout game. The Skyrim engine still sucks. I just really dislike how all of those games feel. They're clunky as poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Everything that involved shooting in Rage was awesome. The combat mechanics and shoot-y bits were incredible. I still maintain that the Rage engine would be amazing for a Fallout game. The Skyrim engine still sucks. I just really dislike how all of those games feel. They're clunky as poo poo.

The gunplay in Rage is still the best I've ever played. The racing poo poo was stupid as hell, but holy poo poo the shooting was great.

Doom 3 BFG was incredible too, just being able to play it in 1920x1080p without using a mod made by some insane german dude was completely worth the cost.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
i wish someone would remake unreal tournament 99 :(

still pretty sure that game has the best bots ever

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Alright here's my current build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus B85-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($340.91 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1089.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-13 06:57 EST-0500)

I am sticking with the haswell because it's pretty cheap for the performance and I couldn't find any ivy-bridge ATX motherboards on newegg. I have to source everything on newegg if I'm to convince my wife. I decided to go with 16 gigs of ram, which coupled with the 4 in my current PC will give me 20 (assuming the 4 is 1600. If not no big deal). Everything else is pretty bog standard. I don't care about free games with video card or anything because my Steam backlog is so huge and I'm probably just going to play BF4 with pretty maximized anyway.

I guess the only thing that is really changeable would be to drop ram to 8 gigs and get the overclockable i5-4670k. I think for wife-convincing purposes 1100 is my ceiling so now I need to look at moving things around.

That said I'm pretty happy with this and I like you guys a lot better than the SH/SC people so yell at me about this build some more.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Looks good

p soon you'll be getting mowed down from my fortified rhib boat

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

elite_garbage_man posted:

Looks good

p soon you'll be getting mowed down from my fortified rhib boat

Even if we're on the same team? :ohdear:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I've been known to merc friendlies for no reason on hardcore servers

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Well I ordered my parts and got next day shipping because I'm an impatient baby. The only thing now is I don't know where the gently caress my win 7 key is. It is not where I thought it would be so I might have to buy a new license and I'll spring for win8 if that's the case.

gently caress.

Edit:

I'm retarded. right-click -> properties on my computer and there it is.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 13, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Download Belarc Advisor. You're welcome.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
When I get BF4 later this week should I get the digital deluxe? It has china rising or whatever and is an extra :10bux:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

When I get BF4 later this week should I get the digital deluxe? It has china rising or whatever and is an extra :10bux:

If you expect to eventually shell out for Premium and get China Rising that way, no.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ignore me, I didn't click on the next page

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Fart Sandwiches posted:

It's $50 but if you think you're going to stick around and play BF4 for a while I'd recommend premium. You get priority in server lines, all the DLC, and actually save a little bit long term. Of course if you don't think you'll be around long enough it's a waste of money.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

gleep gloop posted:

It's $50 but if you think you're going to stick around and play BF4 for a while I'd recommend premium. You get priority in server lines, all the DLC, and actually save a little bit long term. Of course if you don't think you'll be around long enough it's a waste of money.

I'll get the regular game and see how I like it. I put around 400 hours into Bad Company 2 so I have the ability and I'll definitely want to find an excuse to use my expensive new parts.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Motherboard is kaput :negative:

No BF4 for a while, but I'm sure my GPA will thank me later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I'll get the regular game and see how I like it. I put around 400 hours into Bad Company 2 so I have the ability and I'll definitely want to find an excuse to use my expensive new parts.

Post pic of your sexy new rig

• Locked thread