Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

You forgot Step 1: Pack a parachute.

OK OK. A subtler approach is for as many people as possible to apply for other positions within the company.

jassi007 posted:

Nuclear Option. Initiate chargeback with credit card company

This isn't nuclear at all. If you value your time then you go for the charge back as soon as they jerk you around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

patentmagus posted:

This isn't nuclear at all. If you value your time then you go for the charge back as soon as they jerk you around.

Your credit card company may not agree. I generally find it useful to attempt the first party resolution before involving them. Talking to a stupid call center agent should be a basic expectation of life. If you want to get anywhere, escalate. The first person to answer the phone has the least authority, is paid the least, and in many cases is not the brightest bulb in the tool shed.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jassi007 posted:

This isn't a legal issue. This is a navigating call centers issue. Keep asking for a supervisor until someone with a 2 brain cells that work together acknowledges that 25 foam cups don't weight 13 lbs. and then helps you with whatever reasonable resolution you are seeking.

Just food for thought: if you value your time = money, this will probably take more time than it is worth. Expect to spend 2-12 hours getting this fixed. Call centers are not designed to help customers, must like HR is not designed to help employees. They are all retention focused, which is doing the absolute minimum for the minimum price to get you to continue to be a customer.

Nuclear Option. Initiate chargeback with credit card company if you can not work it out with them. The very opening of a dispute will get the attention of a person who is not a moron.

this is an area where being a UCC sovereign citizen really helps!

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

euphronius posted:

How old is your mom.

She turned 60 this year. Learned some more info. The house was in her and my dads name and they got together last year and signed off on it to put it in my name, so I guess they couldn't hold the house against her anyway?

She hasn't lived there in several years and I've had to sink alot of money into it after it sat empty 2 years. As far as I know, she's not trying to dick me around on it, she wants to give it to us for nothing, but who knows. I'd gladly give her money for it, even if it's paying her a bit monthly, but money is TIGHT right now, which I was hoping would change after the move.

She wasn't trying to dupe Social Security, it's just a lovely situation.

Argh!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Why did it sit empty for 2 years? I can't help you with the legal stuff (it sounds lovely and I hope you can work out a solution), I'm just always curious about abandoned houses and what causes them to become abandoned. My uncle was very close to buying a house for $1500 that had set empty for years and was basically just walls and a foundation at that point. And some friends of mine bought a gorgeous 5-bedroom lakehouse that had set empty for 4 years and needed like, a hundred thousand dollars just to get it back to livable condition. I just don't get why someone would abandon a house that, in its prime, was worth a half a million dollars. What's the justification for keeping it but not maintaining it? I mean, you KNOW what will happen. It's gonna go down in value. It's 100% certain.

I'm not trying to be nosy, just genuinely curious :)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

razz posted:

Why did it sit empty for 2 years? I can't help you with the legal stuff (it sounds lovely and I hope you can work out a solution), I'm just always curious about abandoned houses and what causes them to become abandoned. My uncle was very close to buying a house for $1500 that had set empty for years and was basically just walls and a foundation at that point. And some friends of mine bought a gorgeous 5-bedroom lakehouse that had set empty for 4 years and needed like, a hundred thousand dollars just to get it back to livable condition. I just don't get why someone would abandon a house that, in its prime, was worth a half a million dollars. What's the justification for keeping it but not maintaining it? I mean, you KNOW what will happen. It's gonna go down in value. It's 100% certain.

I'm not trying to be nosy, just genuinely curious :)
I'm not the guy you asked, but there was a house that sat completely empty for about 7 years about 3/4 blocks from where I grew up. It's in your average town about an hour and a half drive from Vancouver, in a nice part of town, two houses away from an elementary school.

All through my youth it was known to be a drug house. Everyone knew it was a drug house, although as far as I know no one ever actually saw anything going on in there. I guess they waited until it was night time. Finally, one day I guess the cops had enough and they went through and busted everyone, and it sat empty. The front door was still there but all the windows were boarded up. This was in about 2006.

For years there was a sign on the door saying they weren't interested in selling the place, but given the number of cold calls from real estate agents my mom got, I don't know whether that was aimed at people or at real estate agents. Finally, earlier this year work started on it. First it was the landscaping, they made it actually nice (even when it was abandoned they still had someone come in and mow the lawns, honestly to a outsider apart from the boarded up windows, you wouldn't have been able to tell it was abandoned), then when we'd walk our dog past there various tradesmen would be around. They replaced the roof, apparently basically the entire inside, then put the house up on the market at last.

They asked $380,000 and probably pretty much got it because it sold in under a week. That's quite on par with other houses in the area, but I suspect if they hadn't redone it completely they wouldn't have even gotten $300k for it. I don't know why they waited so long to redo it and sell it, but it worked out pretty well for them in the end I guess.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

You forgot Step 1: Pack a parachute.

I am working on this, but with only 5 months of experience in this field, I am pretty much screwed if they decide to make my work life miserable. I do have a solid connection at another company, but will need to stick through until February before that becomes an option.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Can I throw a VISA / Immigration question in here?

I'm a US citizen and resident, and my girlfriend in the UK wants to come spend some indeterminate length of time with me over here. While she's here, she plans on looking for - but not accepting - employment in the arts. Basically, she'll be sending resumes to areas around NYC and hopefully doing job interviews and stuff for positions that will be open in a few months' time. She's not looking to work while she's over here.

I know with the Visa Waiver Program, she can get 90 days here. That's not terrible. What I can't find out is if the VWP affects, in any way, her ability to then secure a VISA for employment with a US employer, or if there's any kind of 'cool-off' period after the 90 days is up where she's not allowed back in the country.

Alternatively, I guess she could apply for a Visitor's Visa from the outset, but I can't seem to find any information as to how long that's likely to let her into the country for, and again, I don't know if doing that would make getting a subsequent Visa to work for a US Employer more difficult.

What's the best way of handling this situation? I don't know enough about how this works yet, and I'm finding contradictory information on the internet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JamSessionEin posted:

Can I throw a VISA / Immigration question in here?

I'm a US citizen and resident, and my girlfriend in the UK wants to come spend some indeterminate length of time with me over here. While she's here, she plans on looking for - but not accepting - employment in the arts. Basically, she'll be sending resumes to areas around NYC and hopefully doing job interviews and stuff for positions that will be open in a few months' time. She's not looking to work while she's over here.

I know with the Visa Waiver Program, she can get 90 days here. That's not terrible. What I can't find out is if the VWP affects, in any way, her ability to then secure a VISA for employment with a US employer, or if there's any kind of 'cool-off' period after the 90 days is up where she's not allowed back in the country.

Alternatively, I guess she could apply for a Visitor's Visa from the outset, but I can't seem to find any information as to how long that's likely to let her into the country for, and again, I don't know if doing that would make getting a subsequent Visa to work for a US Employer more difficult.

What's the best way of handling this situation? I don't know enough about how this works yet, and I'm finding contradictory information on the internet.

Your girlfriend should phone the Visa department of the US embassy and ask.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

JamSessionEin posted:

There is no formal 'cool off' period. Immigration officers make individual determinations based on the information they receive when people apply for entry. Generally using the VMP doesn't create problems, unless you do something like stay for 90 days, then go to Bermuda for two days and try to come back in for another 90 day stay. Then they will grill you about why you are 'visiting' for six months of the year.

quote:

She would get a 90 day entry on a visitor visa. The maximum visitor entries are ever given is six months, and that is reserved for people with a clear and serious need for that stay. Like you are getting medical treatment and can't go home. Otherwise it's days, and immediate renewal is subject to the same scrutiny as above.

The main advantage in applying for a visa is that if something goes wrong she gets her refusal at the consulate in London, and not at the airport in the US - getting bounced from arrival is a huge loving mess. She would probably be fine on the VMP, but talking to the consulate first is not a bad idea, but it's also totally non-binding. As in, the consulate might say 'No visa needed!' and if the border agent disagrees, tough poo poo.

quote:

While she's here, she plans on looking for - but not accepting - employment in the arts. Basically, she'll be sending resumes to areas around NYC and hopefully doing job interviews and stuff for positions that will be open in a few months' time.
Does your girlfriend have an actual plan on how to accept employment if she gets one of those jobs? It's November, there are no H-1Bs left, so that means she would need to work with an exempt employer or get another work status like a J - which is also limited in the sort of work she can take. Does she have any sort of plan here? It's dumb to come all the way to the US and apply for a bunch of jobs unless she has a reasonable idea of how she would actually get work authorization to take those jobs.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Ashcans posted:

Does your girlfriend have an actual plan on how to accept employment if she gets one of those jobs? It's November, there are no H-1Bs left, so that means she would need to work with an exempt employer or get another work status like a J - which is also limited in the sort of work she can take. Does she have any sort of plan here? It's dumb to come all the way to the US and apply for a bunch of jobs unless she has a reasonable idea of how she would actually get work authorization to take those jobs.

Thanks for the info, we're both kind of shooting in the dark with this, so let me ask a few quick questions if you don't mind.

Those H-1Bs you're talking about, I guess there's a cap on them from what you're saying. Does that reset at the start of each calendar year or something? Because the time period I'm talking about having her come over here would be something like February - April of 2014, if that's relevant. Even if it goes by fiscal year, she wouldn't be taking employment until probably after April if she were able to find work, so I don't know if a cap on the H-1Bs is still problematic there or not.

Also, is she still permitted to do freelance online work? For example, she does the art on holiday cards and sells it through an agent in the UK - sends him the files online after she's done with them. As far as I can tell, it's still income she's receiving and reporting in the UK, so it shouldn't really run afoul of any restrictions imposed by either a VISA or VWP, right?

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 12, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So wait, the plan is to apply for jobs and not accept them until she has a visa?

Employers will just take the next person in the pile, who doesn't need to be sponsored for a visa and all that. I think people usually go find job > accept job > get visa > move to foreign country, but I might be mistaken.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

FrozenVent posted:

So wait, the plan is to apply for jobs and not accept them until she has a visa?

Employers will just take the next person in the pile, who doesn't need to be sponsored for a visa and all that. I think people usually go find job > accept job > get visa > move to foreign country, but I might be mistaken.

Kind of. The plan we've hashed out is basically

Get Her Here > Find Job > Accept Job > Get Work Visa > Move Here.

The only deviation here is that I'm trying to get her over in this country first so that we can spend some time together, and while she's here she might be able to interview in person for some positions. If she manages to land the job, then we work on getting her the work visa. I may be naive and misunderstanding how this works, but she's not intending to keep employers waiting if she can find something.

Edit: I realize the confusion might be because I wrote that she 'wouldn't take work until after April', that was a mistake. I just didn't know if you could transfer from one Visa type to another, or from the VWP to a work visa, without the first one expiring.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
I need to find a lawyer that charges by the hourly rate instead of having me shell out a few thousand dollars for retainer fees and having my hours with the lawyer be subtracted from that. How common is this among lawyers? I am being sued by the Department of Labor for firing two whistle-blowers who claim to have reported me to OSHA and that was the reason they were fired when in actuality I had planned to fire them anyway and it was just coincidental.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nf3 posted:

I need to find a lawyer that charges by the hourly rate instead of having me shell out a few thousand dollars for retainer fees and having my hours with the lawyer be subtracted from that. How common is this among lawyers? I am being sued by the Department of Labor for firing two whistle-blowers who claim to have reported me to OSHA and that was the reason they were fired when in actuality I had planned to fire them anyway and it was just coincidental.

I don't understand what kind of fee arrangement you're asking for. It sounds like your current lawyer is charging you an hourly rate.

If you're trying to get a lawyer who doesn't need a retainer, good luck. If you walked into my office asking for hourly representation, but weren't willing to provide an up-front retainer, the only thing I'd hear is "I'm planning on stiffing you/nickel-and-diming the bill every month, don't take me as a client."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What is the actual goal here? Does your girlfriend want to work in the US, or does she just want to spend more time closer to you and this seems like the way to do that? Because getting work authorization as some random shmoe outside the US is seriously not easy. If you guys just want to mash face, have her come and visit you as a tourist a few times, then decide if you want to get serious and marry her.

Alternatively: It would be probably one fifth of the effort for her to get some sort of work authorization in Canada, and then she can make easy trips across the border to see you. I am not even joking, look into that.

JamSessionEin posted:

Those H-1Bs you're talking about, I guess there's a cap on them from what you're saying. Does that reset at the start of each calendar year or something?
This is how H-1Bs work. At the start of each fiscal year, there are 85,000 available. But, you are allowed to apply for them six months before the start date. What this means is that on April 1, companies are able to file petitions for workers, but those people will not be able to start working until October 1. So your girlfriend would need to find someone who wants to hire her and will file the paperwork by April, but doesn't actually need her to start until October.

You should also know that historically (and this year) there have been more applicants than available visas. So they have to conduct a lottery to see who gets lucky. This means there is a change that even if your girlfriend finds this company and they apply for her, she won't get a visa. This is a shitshow. Sorry!

H-1Bs are overwhelmingly given to students of US universities who have the opportunity to work and find companies to sponsor them, and to Indian nationals who benefit from contract companies shot-gunning thousands of applications at the lottery.

quote:

Also, is she still permitted to do freelance online work? For example, she does the art on holiday cards and sells it through an agent in the UK - sends him the files online after she's done with them. As far as I can tell, it's still income she's receiving and reporting in the UK, so it shouldn't really run afoul of any restrictions imposed by either a VISA or VWP, right?
This is the kind of question where I will tell you that as a VWP/B visitor, she is not allowed to come to the US to perform work. Is this work? I don't know. If I am a British dude at Disney world and I check my company email, am I working? Does anyone care? If the company is in the UK, her bank is in the UK, and she doesn't file taxes in the US it is effectively invisible. If she indicates that she will be performing freelance work while in the US to support herself, I suspect it would cause problems for her travel. She should have adequate funds or arrangements to reassure immigration that she will not need to work during the course of her visits.

JamSessionEin posted:

I just didn't know if you could transfer from one Visa type to another, or from the VWP to a work visa, without the first one expiring.
If your girlfriend enters the US on a B visa, she would be able to file to change her status to something like an H-1B (note those does not bypass the availability issue above). If she enters using the VWP, she can't file a change of status petition at all and has to leave the country before applying for her new visa type. This is the trade-off of the VWMP.

Edit: I work in immigration but I am not a lawyer so I feel weird making big posts in this thread. You can consider visiting the US immigration thread, which is basically me answering people's questions anyway. Unless the real lawyers don't care about me being here.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Ashcans posted:

What is the actual goal here? Does your girlfriend want to work in the US, or does she just want to spend more time closer to you and this seems like the way to do that? Because getting work authorization as some random shmoe outside the US is seriously not easy. If you guys just want to mash face, have her come and visit you as a tourist a few times, then decide if you want to get serious and marry her.

A little from column A and a little from column B. Part of the consideration here is that she doesn't have a stable place to live in the UK right now and I have a house in the New York area, where there's a lot of work that she's interested in.

quote:

Alternatively: It would be probably one fifth of the effort for her to get some sort of work authorization in Canada, and then she can make easy trips across the border to see you. I am not even joking, look into that.

I hadn't even really thought of that, I guess that does make sense. I lose out on the ability to offer a place to live though, as part of the reason for doing this would be that I could give her somewhere to be where she didn't have to pay rent.

quote:

This is how H-1Bs work. At the start of each fiscal year, there are 85,000 available. But, you are allowed to apply for them six months before the start date. What this means is that on April 1, companies are able to file petitions for workers, but those people will not be able to start working until October 1. So your girlfriend would need to find someone who wants to hire her and will file the paperwork by April, but doesn't actually need her to start until October.

You should also know that historically (and this year) there have been more applicants than available visas. So they have to conduct a lottery to see who gets lucky. This means there is a change that even if your girlfriend finds this company and they apply for her, she won't get a visa. This is a shitshow. Sorry!

H-1Bs are overwhelmingly given to students of US universities who have the opportunity to work and find companies to sponsor them, and to Indian nationals who benefit from contract companies shot-gunning thousands of applications at the lottery.

Thanks again for this kind of information, it's very useful. I think this is still something we want to try, and if it doesn't work out either because we're unlucky or she can't find work with an employer willing to do that, we'll go from there.

quote:

If your girlfriend enters the US on a B visa, she would be able to file to change her status to something like an H-1B (note those does not bypass the availability issue above). If she enters using the VWP, she can't file a change of status petition at all and has to leave the country before applying for her new visa type. This is the trade-off of the VWMP.

Edit: I work in immigration but I am not a lawyer so I feel weird making big posts in this thread. You can consider visiting the US immigration thread, which is basically me answering people's questions anyway. Unless the real lawyers don't care about me being here.

Is there a certain amount of time she would have to go back for before returning under a work visa if she was on the waiver program? The reason I say this is because I don't think she would necessarily mind going back to the UK and then coming back on a work visa, and give her a chance to get more of her things and sort out any outstanding issues back home.

I will look into that thread, but I do really appreciate the help here so far.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nf3 posted:

No lawyer is going to represent you without money up front unless you have a history with them especially with litigation likely. Based on those facts, I would want at least 10,000 up front considering two possible trials.

A lawyer who takes you litigation case without up front money is dumb. (I did this once, I am dumb.)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 12, 2013

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

JamSessionEin posted:

A little from column A and a little from column B. Part of the consideration here is that she doesn't have a stable place to live in the UK right now and I have a house in the New York area, where there's a lot of work that she's interested in.

I hadn't even really thought of that, I guess that does make sense. I lose out on the ability to offer a place to live though, as part of the reason for doing this would be that I could give her somewhere to be where she didn't have to pay rent.

Thanks again for this kind of information, it's very useful. I think this is still something we want to try, and if it doesn't work out either because we're unlucky or she can't find work with an employer willing to do that, we'll go from there.

I know this ain't e/n but uuuuuhhhhh think long and hard on this.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ashcans posted:

Don't feel weird, keep posting. Your posts have a much higher signal-to-noise ratio that most in this thread. You know your stuff, both on the the blackletter law side and on the 'this is how it works in the real world' side.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Nf3 posted:

So, you want a lawyer who would submit invoices for ongoing litigation while hoping you pay. These do exist. They are also, however, really fresh or really desperate. The smart move is to ask the DoL what it would take for you to settle out right away and before you retain legal counsel. You might get a cheaper deal than winning with an attorney.

I'm in some litigation right now where the other side is trying to defend "on the cheap". It's just a gift that keeps on giving.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I have a question. I have been made aware that I have a warrant for my arrest in the state of Florida for a Violation of Probation from 2008. I called the probation office and was told the only way to handle this was to "turn myself in." After explaining that I lived three thousand miles away in Washington State, the person at the desk said "You may want to contact a lawyer or something." I have made several phone calls to probate lawyers in the area and had none of them returned.

I need to get this warrant handled, as quickly as possible and from where I am, as travelling to "turn myself in" is not a possibility. I need to know what my options, if any, are, and how to go about clearing this whole issue up.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You don't want a probate lawyer, you want a criminal lawyer. Probate lawyers handle deaths and wills and intestate transfers of estates. Criminal lawyers handle criminal things.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DOL settlement offer for two whistle blower cases will be well north of $50,000 my guess.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

e: like what Arcturas said, with more :eng101:

Wizard of Smart posted:

I have a question. I have been made aware that I have a warrant for my arrest in the state of Florida for a Violation of Probation from 2008. I called the probation office and was told the only way to handle this was to "turn myself in." After explaining that I lived three thousand miles away in Washington State, the person at the desk said "You may want to contact a lawyer or something." I have made several phone calls to probate lawyers in the area and had none of them returned.

I need to get this warrant handled, as quickly as possible and from where I am, as travelling to "turn myself in" is not a possibility. I need to know what my options, if any, are, and how to go about clearing this whole issue up.
I don't know whether to :rimshot: or :ughh:.

A probate lawyer handles the estate of a dead person. The 'probate' here means to test, or prove, the viability of the will or other instruments to dispose of the estate.

Probation in a criminal case is when a person is not sent to jail/prison, but is instead given an chance to prove they are worthy of a second chance; a test, or experiment to see whether he/she can follow the rules and conditions of probation. If they fail the test, they go to jail/prison.

Call a criminal defense lawyer in the same county of Florida as the warrant; better yet, call your original attorney.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 12, 2013

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is what I get for not proofreading my posts. Probation attorney is what I meant, because I tried googling how to handle things and that is what came up. I have had literally no guidance in this besides "turn yourself in" and "maybe contact a lawyer or something." My original attorney was a public defender whose name I don't remember. Is there an online resource for old cases I can browse?

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 12, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wizard of Smart maybe you should hire an attorney in the jurisdiction where you were arrested.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Wizard of Smart posted:

This is what I get for not proofreading my posts. Probation attorney is what I meant, because I tried googling how to handle things and that is what came up. I have had literally no guidance in this besides "turn yourself in" and "maybe contact a lawyer or something." My original attorney was a public defender whose name I don't remember. Is there an online resource for old cases I can browse?

Florida charges $24 for such a search. If you can remember what county you were in or google the city to find its county, you can call the local public defender and ask them about your case.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Looking for some legal advice.

I'm in California (San Francisco) and currently a student at CCSF (City College of San Francisco). I'm pursuing a certificate in animation. This is my first semester, going into my potentially second. When I went to register for classes for the Spring 2014 semester, I found out that the school isn't even offering one of the required courses for my program in the coming semester, not was it offered last semester. Additionally I can enroll in all the courses necessary this semester because they are scheduled at conflicting times. One ends at 1 p.m. and the other starts at 1 p.m. halfway across the city. At best, I could only hope to take 2 of the 4 required classes.

I'm a veteran and using the gi bill to pay for school and housing. This puts me in a terrible predicament where at best I could only enroll as a part-time student. I basically feel like the school has committed fraud and essentially stolen my money and time.

A friend has recommended I hire a lawyer. It seems like it might be a good idea, but I'm not sure if I have any ground to stand on. Do I actually have any legal grounds to do anything against the school?

Edit: essentially the school offered me a course of study without making it possible to even complete the program as outlined in my educational plan.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 13, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

What did your student advisor say when you asked them what the deal is?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I haven't been able to talk with them yet due to schedule conflicts. I'm going to speak with the VA tomorrow and with the department chair on Thursday. The department chair didn't even acknowledge the missing course when I emailed her and just said she couldn't do much for me about the conflicting schedules for the 2 courses.

edit: I'm going to go speak with the people over at student advising as well, and see what they can tell me. All I know is this really sucks, and it puts me in a terrible spot where I feel like my money and time were taken from me, and i have essentially nothing to show for it.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 13, 2013

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Colleges don't normally run every class every semester. Heck the community college my husband teaches at has a pretty strict schedule of what and when classes run and a lot of them have pre requisites. Don't sign up for the pre req and think you can take it the next semester and that class the following? Nope. You gotta wait an entire year to take the class. If the college you're at is a good school you should have already seen an academic advisor about your class schedule and they should be putting you on the right track. If not, your school probably suck and is disorganized, sorry.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah they didn't offer me any advising. The thing with this class not being offered is that it wasn't even offered for 2 straight semesters. It's one thing to only offer it once per year, but to not even have at all is :psyduck:. I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation to be able to take courses in a timely manner. If it was one course I couldn't take it wouldn't be such a huge problem, but I'm literally unable to do half the courses required for this semester. They can't even schedule courses required for a program to not conflict with each other. Honestly, I want my money back. It's a lovely way to run a school.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

One course I took in law school was offered once every two years, in the fall, and had a prerequisite course you couldn't take until your second year.

This meant that if you started school in an odd year, it was impossible to take this class without begging the professor to let you take it concurrently with the prerequisite.

You can try to find a lawyer... But good luck.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dog, two thoughts:

First, it sounds like you're angry with the school. You may be right about being angry, but it doesn't always have a legal solution, and the best bet is to either figure out a way to work with the options available to you (i.e. what do you mean by "half the courses required for this semester"? - can't you take other animation-related classes this semester, or other general ed classes required for the degree?).

Second, it's probably a good idea to sit down with the school's course offerings (see if you can get their offerings for the last two or three years), and plan out a path to get all your requirements for the degree fulfilled. Note which classes have limited offerings, so that you'll absolutely want to take them if they are offered, and which ones are more common, so that you can drop them if you need to swap courses around. Call the registrar or student services or advising or admissions to ask if they have any advisors who can help you with this process.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah I'm definitely upset with the school. The problem is that it's a certificate program and there are no gen ed courses. I've been relying on the gi bill to get me though school and pay for my housing. I can only enroll in 2 of the required courses for this coming semester unless something magic happens. Which will severely cripple me financially as I'll only be a part-time student, and further extend the amount of time it'll take until I can finish school.

I'm waiting to speak with people at the school who can hopefully provide me with some advice. It's just a sucky situation to be in. I've started contracting and looking at other schools that will offer me a better overall education. The one here it's pretty dated and basic at best.

Really, the problem is that the courses I need to take are prerequisites for the latter courses in the program, and I'm unable to take half of them because the school is irresponsible.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 13, 2013

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Thanks for the replies.
My mom turned 60 this year. She moved out because my sister was going through a divorce while pregnant, so she went to be closer to her. During that time, I lived there but also moved out and lived with my girlfriend.

At that time, the house needed a few general upkeep and maintenance things done, a few of which I did. That winter, we got a bad storm that damaged the roof and it leaked while nobody was there, so some of the flooring was soft.

She didn't want to move in and by that time I had been injured at work and was going through workers comp settlement bullshit.

It was always her intention to give the land and home to me as my sister had no interest in it.

Last November, her and my dad signed the title for the house over to me, but my dads name was never on the land, so that's all moms deal.

Now my wife is worried that my sister is trying to get mom to sell the land so she could get some of the money. I don't think that's going on, but it worries me a bit too.

From what I've read, what mom is telling me jives up. But I never thought social security could tell you how much you have to sell your property for. Other than the house, the rest of the property is heavily wooded and hilled, so other than HAVING the land, it's not usable without being graded and everything else.

But mom said she was told that she has to live on it. What, in a tent?

She's wanting to have it surveyed in hopes that it would bring the value down, but I'm afraid if they do that they'll try to condemn the house. We were in the process of tearing up the floor to replace it, but if they go now and condemn it, would I still be able to work on it or would it be torn down?

God. What a drat mess!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hey guys. My roommates a social worker who is ridiculously overworked and is leaving her job for a new less stressful and lovely one. But her job keeps giving her clients and she seems to be under the impression she has to do some set amount of work and paperwork for them plus all her existing clients or she's somehow going to lose her license. She's already been working 10 hour days to keep up with the job. How far do such licenses and the obligations you take go? There has to be a reasonable limit that isn't getting 8 weeks of work done in three.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
What state is she in? Is she a W-2 employee of the company she is leaving, or is there some other arrangement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nevvy Z posted:

Hey guys. My roommates a social worker who is ridiculously overworked and is leaving her job for a new less stressful and lovely one. But her job keeps giving her clients and she seems to be under the impression she has to do some set amount of work and paperwork for them plus all her existing clients or she's somehow going to lose her license. She's already been working 10 hour days to keep up with the job. How far do such licenses and the obligations you take go? There has to be a reasonable limit that isn't getting 8 weeks of work done in three.

Her licensing body (Professional order, state agency or whatever) is going to be way, way, way better at answering that question than a bunch of random goons on the internet. Tell her to give them a call; she should already know what she needs to do to keep her license current.