Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shwqa posted:

I got Loki from the heroic token, so now I'm interested in the Loki prize. Im in a slow bracket, which is mix blessing. At 700 points I'm not a big target, but I'm not getting the sweet high point rewards.

Your opponents are drawn globally, not just from your bracket. If you skip enough, you should start seeing the high point opponents you need to hit 1K+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
In my bracket, I am constantly swinging from #1 to about #40. Be thankful for your sluggish bracket. :)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tried to see if I could hit 1200 and got stalled at 1100. Seems like it needs to a very specific time of day (or some maxed 3 stars) to hit. Or more luck than I've been having.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Stickman posted:

Tried to see if I could hit 1200 and got stalled at 1100. Seems like it needs to a very specific time of day (or some maxed 3 stars) to hit. Or more luck than I've been having.

Same but stalled at 1000; starting at 600 wasn't ideal and you know I'll be right back down there next time I try. Worst thing is I'm not making any money with these fights, so it all feels pretty pointless.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm slightly creeped out by the internet detectivery required to do it, but I have my Facebook account back! Oh, the purge that's about to occur!

In Puzzle Quest news, I got completely murdered by a group that was at least ten levels lower than me. They were just ridiculously lucky with cascades to the point where they were able to special attack my crew into oblivion and then chain-special attack my guys' corpses for at like a minute after that.

I can take being beaten, but the humiliation... :smith:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Synthorange, lemme know when it's okay to start beating you up. You give me 40 points right now and look so juicy, but I don't want to be that crab who pulls you away from 1200...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Go ahead. I beat up everyone I come across that'll give me decent points. :unsmigghh:

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Speaking of low level teams and Modern Storm, while playing the Thornament yesterday, I made a mistake and left Storm for last. AI used the red power to smash the environment tiles, then green to smash random tiles, which generated enough AP to go for another round of red and green. Since this was the board with thorned rose, and the AI now had a ton of environment tiles, it meant a few more rounds of red and green. And in between all these powers, was a bunch of cascades and crit tile matches.

It didn't even down my character since it was a low level Storm, but drat, I was watching the AI attack me continuously for like a minute.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Just Kill Storm First

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I keep forgetting that when I see a 5 tile match and think "I could take down that Loki by matching this up! Oh... right. Storm."

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

All it took was staying up until 2 AM playing XCOM. I await my six zillion messages about how I lost all the points, but it doesn't matter anymore. Time to wait for the PvE content that they keep promising us!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spend it all on the hero draw and get Hoods. :v:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I just got my 1200 point prize as well. I'm tempted to buy a couple Heroic tokens, but I know I should probably just buy more cover space.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Spend it all on the hero draw and get Hoods. :v:

I have a feeling that The Hood will be a really good pve hero, since he can sap AP from Hammer/Maggia goons pretty much as quickly as they can generate it. But that requires way too much investment when you can just Thor/Moonstone or something!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thor is a pretty good pve hero becase dead enemies.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Thor is a pretty good pve hero becase dead enemies.

Yeah, Thorm pretty much is the go-to team in PvE until you can build Wolverok. I really need to find more Spideys so I can heal more efficiently, though!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phew. Made it to the 500 coin tier too. Out of heals for six minutes. If I dont get attacked I may be able to push for loki.

Edit: -200 points. :v:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 13, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I crossed 1200 TWICE this morning and got crabbed back down before it could register the prize. Argh. I have no interest in Loki so I just want my 500 HP and then people can plink me all they want.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I woke up at about 900 points this morning, so I decided to try to hit 1200 before people got up. I hit a bunch of the people who had tagged me at night, but left two that were at high rank for when I got closer to 1200. In my experience, it becomes a real chore finding people worth more than 2-6 points when you get up past about 1050 or so.

I got up to about 1160 or so and then hit the guys I had been saving, both for over twenty. The victory screen on the second guy showed me at 1200, but when I popped back to the enemy select screen I only had 1198. I panicked and just fought the first guy I saw, who was worth 6 points. I didn't even look at my team when I hit go, so I didn't realize that my Thor was super injured and only had ~900 health left.

I managed to squeak out the win and miraculously no one hit me in the meantime, so I got my hero points and now people can beat the poo poo out of me all they want.

This tournament is really weird - I'm usually about 200 or so points ahead of the 2nd place person in my bracket when I'm active, and then I get knocked down to the 10-20 range when I take a break. My bracket itself isn't competitive, but getting the points to be in first makes me a rich target for people in other brackets. I kind of want to shoot for first again (I placed first in the IM 40 tourney), but I'm not going to be too upset if I don't pull it off.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Russad posted:

In my experience, it becomes a real chore finding people worth more than 2-6 points when you get up past about 1050 or so.

Yeah, I had the same problem this morning on my quest to reach 1100. By the time I found people with decent points, someone way lower had hit me for 30 points.

Still, gonna try again tomorrow when hopefully most of the US/Europe is sleeping.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Yes! Lightning rounds started!

Boo I'm at work.

To any of those newer players, definitely get in on this, it's easy ISO and tokens. You should be able to make some decent progress in these because there's just not enough time during the rounds to get obscene point totals.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Thanks for the heads up on the Lightning Round thing! I had no idea it existed.

Would be nice to have in the OP

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Something weird was going on with the battle I just did in the lightning round. I was attacking this guys Thor and getting -1 points. At one point nearly the entire board filled up with red tiles. I didn't find anything with red tiles in the power information. He had red Magneto on his team which seems to be a bitch but -1 hp attack?

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Yes! Lightning rounds started!

Boo I'm at work.

To any of those newer players, definitely get in on this, it's easy ISO and tokens. You should be able to make some decent progress in these because there's just not enough time during the rounds to get obscene point totals.

Cool. Same day as last week, yeah? Hopefully a regular thing.

Also, buggrit, was on the last fight to make 1000 points but I got greedy and hosed up, team wipe, now downn 200 points. Oh well.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

JHVH-1 posted:

Something weird was going on with the battle I just did in the lightning round. I was attacking this guys Thor and getting -1 points. At one point nearly the entire board filled up with red tiles. I didn't find anything with red tiles in the power information. He had red Magneto on his team which seems to be a bitch but -1 hp attack?

Eh I guess it might have been protect tiles taking the damage down.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Man I am getting ripped apart in this lightning more than I ever did in the Thor tournament. Every time I check back, I've been beaten by like four people.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Platypus posted:

Man I am getting ripped apart in this lightning more than I ever did in the Thor tournament. Every time I check back, I've been beaten by like four people.

Yeah that really sucked I think I missed the 26-50 rewards by 1 fight because each time I won 1 I would have lost more points in the same time.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

If I already have a high level Black Widow, is there any real need to hang on to Grey Suit/Yelena Belova? I like Belova's specials but they're so hard to level.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Yelena is pretty bad outside of Dark Avengers tournaments.

FINALLY got my 1200 reward with about a second to spare. Now gently caress this tournament.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mons Hubris posted:

If I already have a high level Black Widow, is there any real need to hang on to Grey Suit/Yelena Belova? I like Belova's specials but they're so hard to level.

Grey Suit is GREAT. The sniper rifle attack deals damage for the initial attack, plus the cascade following it, and is relatively cheap considering she can use her other big move to hand place green tiles. Put the two together and you can chain up crit tiles while generating green AP, which is great alongside a Wolverine if you don't have a Ragnarok

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

JHVH-1 posted:

Eh I guess it might have been protect tiles taking the damage down.

Was there a Bullseye in the enemy team? I've been running Team I'm An rear end on the SHIELD training with Wolverine/Daken/Bullseye, and I pretty quickly ramp up my damage and drop the enemy to 1. Every protect tile drops damage by something like 12.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I really need to get two more red thor covers on my thor, you guys make it sound so much easier to get 1200 than it has been for me, I only just nearly crested 1000 with no heals left last night, ofcourse I lost 34 before I loaded to the rewards :(

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

WetSpink posted:

I really need to get two more red thor covers on my thor, you guys make it sound so much easier to get 1200 than it has been for me, I only just nearly crested 1000 with no heals left last night, ofcourse I lost 34 before I loaded to the rewards :(

My Thor is 5/4/4, and with an all AP +3 boost, and a red/yellow +3 AP boost, I can start the match by 1-shotting their Storm, and then sometimes you get lucky and can use your yellow to 1-shot their Thor. Even if you're not lucky, it's just two matches to a yellow. Then it's really all down to cleanup - and considering Thor's boosts this tourney, at level 85 a simple red or yellow match is doing a couple of hundred damage. I just kept buying the two boosts whenever I'd run out, and I was only taking damage if I had a bad draw.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Son of a bitch. They're boosting whoever is the featured villain in Lightning Rounds now.

While my mid-level Doom is helped by this (level 50-ish, Summon Demons does about 1250/turn), it turns him into a glass cannon by putting him in front of everything. The next time around when I haven't burned all my heals right before on the Thornament, maybe I can place reasonably.

The Ragnarok one, on the other hand, gently caress that unless you already have a leveled Ragnarok, which defeats the purpose of the lightning round in the first place.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

delfin posted:

Son of a bitch. They're boosting whoever is the featured villain in Lightning Rounds now.

While my mid-level Doom is helped by this (level 50-ish, Summon Demons does about 1250/turn), it turns him into a glass cannon by putting him in front of everything. The next time around when I haven't burned all my heals right before on the Thornament, maybe I can place reasonably.

The Ragnarok one, on the other hand, gently caress that unless you already have a leveled Ragnarok, which defeats the purpose of the lightning round in the first place.

They're boosting all of the villains. I discovered this by getting stomped by 2AP, 1.1K Ragnarok strikes. Whoever thought 3x boosts to 3* characters would be fun can kindly go develop some other game, thank you. Oh, and this applies to environment tiles too (like the IM 40 tournament), so have fun with the 5 thorned roses on the first turn! At least Dr. Doom properly boosts your teams environment tiles too, unlike IM 40.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 13, 2013

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Dammit, missed 250 points in the lightning round by about 10 seconds.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Went from 800 to less than 550 today. Goddamn... The Thournoment is harsh as hell.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Sometimes the streaks the AI gets on makes me want to throw my phone out the window.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
During the time it took me to win one round in the Thor tourney, I was beaten 25 times. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

triplexpac posted:

Sometimes the streaks the AI gets on makes me want to throw my phone out the window.

The lighting round is insane. If there are boosts to environmental tiles and you go against a team with a low to mid level storm on it things get nuts. She destroys all the environmental tiles, uses those to get AP for every color, then they do some ability that smashes or creates more tiles which creates a string of hits. But wait, it still isn't over because they haven't actually done their normal turn yet.

I saw a team with like 700 or 800 HP in all the characters and thought "Oh no problem"