Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The lovely fence is also thematically important as it evidences the futility of man's attempts to escape death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The solution is obviously to build waist/chest high fences that cannot be broken easily. There have been so many situations in the show where climbing up something to like 3 feet off the ground gives the characters absolute safety(Shane and Otis in the gym, the medicine crew outside the window in the vet school, the ladder to the top of the building in season 1, the RV in season 1, etc..).

If I were them I'd build all sorts of platforms around the prison yard and in the prison blocks. "Uh oh, here comes the walkers, lets slowly climb on top of these platforms with our spears and then just stab them to death one by one.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Then for added fun, they could just pole vault from platform to platform, like in Tremors.

"We just stay where he can't get us."

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sith Happens posted:

Then for added fun, they could just pole vault from platform to platform, like in Tremors.

"We just stay where he can't get us."

That's when we realize Hershel's fake leg is actually a gigantic spring, and he springs from one platform to another headshotting zombies along the way.

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011
I was thinking some "running ropes" (the latticed kind) like football teams use to train in front of the fence would work. Just put them a couple inches off the ground and watch the walkers trip up on them.

It would just delay them but it would help the clumping up issue maybe.

Only the most agile zombies would make it.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Soooo Darryl and co. come back and neglect to mention that shambling towards the prison was an ocean of zombies? Like, sup dudes, here is some medicine, also btw super-horde headed this way, whats for dinner?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Roki B posted:

Soooo Darryl and co. come back and neglect to mention that shambling towards the prison was an ocean of zombies? Like, sup dudes, here is some medicine, also btw super-horde headed this way, whats for dinner?

They don't know they're on a TV show. The odds of a horde 50 miles away crossing them is negligible in real life (but of course 100% in a TV show). Also we don't necessarily know that the road they were on is a straight line back to the prison.

I kind of assume the horde conversation will happen right after Daryl murders Rick next episode.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Roki B posted:

What makes you think the super horde is moving in any coherent direction?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Roki B posted:

Or, you know, that conversation really wasn't important enough to happen on-screen in this episode. Maybe there's a scene in the next episode with that conversation, or maybe Rick or someone else who wasn't there will mention the horde and you'll know they had the conversation off-screen, or maybe the zombie horde won't be featured in this season (and you can assume they had a conversation about it if that makes the show better for you). I guess there's room for the worst option, ie. the zombie horde attacks and the conversation about it clearly never happened (on-screen or not) but let's not get our collective panties in a bunch about it just because that's a thing that might happen, when we've had such a good season so far.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
You'd think Hershel would at least have a pistol on him, being that he's surrounded by people on death's door and hobbled due to his missing leg.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Even if there's a super-horde, it's still rural Georgia. The only other time we saw a consistent stream of walkers was a long two-season montage showing a stray herd led from downtown Atlanta all the way to the farm. Now it seems like every single day a Coachella of zombies just happens by this podunk prison. The show's one concession is to ask you to buy that zombies exist, fine, but even if someone was leading them in droves to that specific location, or pockets of survivors were getting overrun to make new ones, I just can't buy that there are still that many zombies, in the immediate area, this late in the game, at a small building complex surrounded by farmland and woods for miles. Is middle of gently caress nowhere Georgia just normally full of packs of people chilling in the forest for no reason?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

sticklefifer posted:

Is middle of gently caress nowhere Georgia just normally full of packs of people chilling in the forest for no reason?

Yes, but not even near the amount of zombies they have been getting.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
I have not been this stressed out by an episode of a television show for a very, very long time.

E05 was AWESOME, and totally, totally worth a rewatch.

Goods:
  • The tension in this episode was thick as Georgia swampland, and I was surprised that they managed to maintain it throughout the episode without it feeling like a chore. An ordeal, sure, but definitely very compelling.

• I really enjoyed Herschel's confidence in himself at the end of the episode. He totally loving deserved it, dealing with so many obstacles at once. The whole scene in the block reminded me of my favorite parts of Resident Evil 4, except with an old man instead of a trained agent.

• I applaud the trope subversion in this episode: I feel as though they were setting up Glenn's death by having Maggie tirelessly attempt to enter the quarantine. I fully expected for her to enter just in time to see Glenn expire, and that's what we would be left on. But that obviously isn't what happened at all, and I'm glad for it!

• Maggie's reaction to the revelation about Carol seemed very human, and not dramatized needlessly.

Bads
  • My primary complaint with this episode is kind of a small one: Really? Govvy was just kind of standing right there outside the prison? I know a lot of media likes to use the turn-head-at-end-of-episode reveal, but I don't feel like it works here. I wish he had been further away, like on a hill overlooking the prison, so he's still set up as returning, and not in a place where he would be seen and shot by any traffic in or out.

Aside from that, I don't have much to complain about for this episode. Well-written, well-shot, and well-delivered. I can't believe I considered dropping this show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

null posted:

You'd think Hershel would at least have a pistol on him, being that he's surrounded by people on death's door and hobbled due to his missing leg.

The last thing Hershel wants to do is kill zombies. He went berserk that one time with the infinite ammo shotgun, but remember for the longest time he kept zombies in the barn because he still viewed them as people. And then he continued to hide the headshotting of flu corpses and had to really struggle to ice pick that one guy. I think this episode was a lot about him coming to terms with that and realizing that they aren't people any more.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

sticklefifer posted:

Is middle of gently caress nowhere Georgia just normally full of packs of people chilling in the forest for no reason?

No reason, no. Shooting stuff, cooking meth, or making moonshine....yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

infinite ammo shotgun,

Oh go that was one of the highlight/lowlights of TWD threads.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Oh go that was one of the highlight/lowlights of TWD threads.

Yeah I super don't care about ammo counts or gun details, but if I say that everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched it last week. He totally reloaded.

Now I'm going to duck.

zoux posted:

The last thing Hershel wants to do is kill zombies. He went berserk that one time with the infinite ammo shotgun, but remember for the longest time he kept zombies in the barn because he still viewed them as people. I think this episode was a lot about him coming to terms with that and realizing that they aren't people any more.

And they made a point in this episode for Glenn to ask Hershel if he had had to knife a walker yet and Hershel said no. Hershel has long been a bit of a pacifist and he's stayed out of the big zombie killing situations except for the farm chaos and when he lost his leg. It stands to reason that given his age, disability, and general uncomfortableness with killing that he tends to stand back and let others do the killing. He's probably never had to kill one up close or kill one he knew. That's a big part of the story of this episode. Hershel had no one to look to and had to do all this terrible killing of people he knew and was caring for. Its also a big part of that bad rear end "Want to come?/Hell yeah." closing line. Remember that just a couple of episodes ago he and Daryl both agreed he should stay behind because he wasn't able to manage out there. After this episode Hershel's proven something to himself and everyone else and things are different.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

So good.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Baldbeard posted:

But where are the consequences? You don't firing squad because it attracts zombies. this is a universal truth that has maintained throughout the show. They made the right choice by gunning them down because they were totally out of options, great job, so where are the inevitable zombies? Hell, there's magically respawning zombies in every other scene ever, and the one drat time they just unload on them, nothing comes of it. That's my whole point, people were desperate and made choices that bear severe repercussions because they had to, except there were no repercussions. Everything just worked out. It felt like a really sloppy resolution.

You're taking my post like I'm arguing with the characters motives or choices, I'm not. I'm saying the writers made it all magically work out. With so many characters sacrificing themselves out of love, no one actually -got sacrificed-.

Still tapping my foot waiting for there to be anything further about the voices on the radio... and the giant zombie horde. But yeah, consequences only when drama is needed.

DoctaFun posted:

I think they will definitely need to address the fence in the next couple episodes, but realistically they have quite a few more layers of protection at the prison than they did at the farm. The farm had little to no protection other than it was 'out of the way' so not a lot of people turned in the area.

The prison has the two outer fences, then another interior fence I believe, then iron doors leading into each of the cell blocks, iron barred cells, etc.. I know everyone is calling for them to leave the prison, but unless like 1000 zombies come and completely overrun everything, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

They were able to clear out overrun portions of the prison before, I think they could do it again unless like the whole fence get's damaged beyond repair or something.

IN A WORLD WITH NO HOME DEPOT/LOWES EVERY 10 MILES...

Honestly, are there no home improvement stores or lumber yards or concrete companies in GA? Did the ability to repair and construct die by zombie horde? One run with a pickup truck to lowes or home depot would be enough to construct anti-horde perimeter and fix the plumbing system.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 13, 2013

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Home Depot is based in Atlanta

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Roki B posted:

It went like that with a reversed order of questions, so when Daryl asked about Dinner and Hershel told him spaghetti he got really excited and forgot about the horde.... There was a loving reason Rick veto'd spaghetti Hershel!

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

The last thing Hershel wants to do is kill zombies. He went berserk that one time with the infinite ammo shotgun, but remember for the longest time he kept zombies in the barn because he still viewed them as people. And then he continued to hide the headshotting of flu corpses and had to really struggle to ice pick that one guy. I think this episode was a lot about him coming to terms with that and realizing that they aren't people any more.

Ok, that does actually make sense, I hadn't thought of that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you want to reference some other media in discussion it would be nice of you to use spoiler tags but it's not mandatory if it's already aired. The only stuff that has to have spoiler tags is stuff that hasn't aired. If it's for another show and it's aired then that's just too bad. It would be nice if the person were to put spoilers there and indicated what they were for but we're not going to make that a rule. Now if you're just spoiling stuff to be an rear end in a top hat that's another story.

Also you should stop talking about anime in this thread because anime is bad, not because of spoilers or whatever. That's not a rule though. Just a personal opinion.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Deadpool posted:

Also you should stop talking about anime in this thread because anime is bad, not because of spoilers or whatever. That's not a rule though. Just a personal opinion.

Petition to make "anime is bad" a TVIV rule

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Neowyrm posted:

Bads
  • My primary complaint with this episode is kind of a small one: Really? Govvy was just kind of standing right there outside the prison? I know a lot of media likes to use the turn-head-at-end-of-episode reveal, but I don't feel like it works here. I wish he had been further away, like on a hill overlooking the prison, so he's still set up as returning, and not in a place where he would be seen and shot by any traffic in or out.

When they did that last shot and it went to black I could hear Ron Perlman in his Fallout narrator voice going, "War War never changes"

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

404notfound posted:

Petition to make "anime is bad" a TVIV rule

And open the 7th gate of sperglord hell, no thank you.

Something sticking out to me so far is that Daryl and Michonne, in the offseason hunted the Govnr down and couldn't find him, I have a hard time believing the govnr could get that close to the prison without being detected. I don't know if the show resolved the rats issue yet, so maybe the characters don't know the zombies are not just appearing there randomly. It did however, seem odd that it drew attention to the rats and then just left them there without much follow up. You are in the middle of loving nowhere with no real risk of anything sentient coming your way unless you bring them there, so you'd think anything out of the ordinary would be a huge red flag.

Also the defenses for the prison seem retarded at best. They make this elaborate door and spike system to replace the crushed gate but leave the gates untouched. They even set up a wind\noise trap like Woodbury, but leave it next to the gate? Why not hang it in a tree? Why not raid Woodbury for more things to barricade? What happened to the bus and hummer? I can understand the gate almost failing once, but it's been, what, three times with the logs snapping? I just wish the show would actually make survival a priority and stop using it as a plot device.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

xxEightxx posted:

Also the defenses for the prison seem retarded at best. They make this elaborate door and spike system to replace the crushed gate but leave the gates untouched. They even set up a wind\noise trap like Woodbury, but leave it next to the gate? Why not hang it in a tree? Why not raid Woodbury for more things to barricade? What happened to the bus and hummer? I can understand the gate almost failing once, but it's been, what, three times with the logs snapping? I just wish the show would actually make survival a priority and stop using it as a plot device.

I wonder what the people from Woodbury have been doing all this time? There's a lot of people that are unfit for raids but I don't think we ever saw anyone working the fields apart from Rick and Carl. And what's with all the sheets of paper just strewn around inside buildings, looks like a serious slipping hazard if they ever have to run for it, they've been there for what, a year now? And no one bothered to pick up the trash? Couldn't they put a few kids and old people on janitor/repair duty?

Either the Woodbury lot are a bunch of freeloaders or the council needs to get it's poo poo together. For all his defects the Governor at least ran a tight ship.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

xxEightxx posted:

Something sticking out to me so far is that Daryl and Michonne, in the offseason hunted the Govnr down and couldn't find him, I have a hard time believing the govnr could get that close to the prison without being detected.

Let's be honest here, how great of a tracker is Daryl anyway if he can't find one little girl a few dozen yards away from him locked in a barn?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

messagemode1 posted:

I actually don't like it when they use any songs in the show. Background music is fine but I find the songs too cloying and heavy handed.

As season enders it seems appropriate to have a song close off the chapter, but this episode we had two songs and both of them did have a very heavy "you should be feeling sad and wistful" atmosphere about them. In a world where music has been largely relegated to peoples memories and their ability to vocally replicate a song, it does seem really out of place to have light country-rock playing at regular intervals. Maybe Rick found a set of portable speakers to go with his discman.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

And open the 7th gate of sperglord hell, no thank you.

Someone must've opened that gate already, the demons are pouring in. The group have been shown to develop an effective system of securing the fences (a system which only fails because it is subverted from the inside, and because a massive crisis strikes at the same time before they can resolve the issue!) and even when it fails, the fences are shown to be only the first line of defense, and even severely undermanned and fighting multiple threats at the same time, the group manages to stave off the zombie horde breaking through. What more do you want?

messagemode1 posted:

I actually don't like it when they use any songs in the show. Background music is fine but I find the songs too cloying and heavy handed.

I think heavy handed works for the show. The visual metaphors aren't very subtle either, nor is the dialogue, really (what with Carol's talk about surviving spousal abuse and all), why should the music be?

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

xxEightxx posted:

I can understand the gate almost failing once, but it's been, what, three times with the logs snapping? I just wish the show would actually make survival a priority and stop using it as a plot device.

It's only been one or two days since the fence failed the first time, and during that time most of the able bodied adults have either been sick, killed, or out on supply runs. Hell Maggie was the only person manning the fences for the better part of a day.

As has been said before, their system has been working fine for them up until now, and they just recently got to the point where the walker concentration was heavy enough that they were going to have to worry about reinforcing the fences. If this had happened any other time during the course of the last few months, it probably would have been fine, but instead it happened right in the middle of a disease outbreak.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 13, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

If this had happened any other time during the course of the last few months, it probably would have been fine, but instead it happened right in the middle of a disease outbreak.

Who's to say that the herds were not piling up against the fence prior to the season premier?

It's not just the fence falling down. Scroll up. People walking backwards, people not closing doors for protection, taking a hyundai rather than a humvee. Add to that zombies being fast when the drama needs them to be fast, turn quickly when drama needs them to turn quickly...

They need Morgan to show up and take over security. He'd be aghast that the group has lasted as long as it has.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fog Tripper posted:

Who's to say that the herds were not piling up against the fence prior to the season premier?

They mention that this has been the biggest buildup in a while. They also say that they are starting to bunch up.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

It's not just the fence falling down. Scroll up. People walking backwards, people not closing doors for protection, taking a hyundai rather than a humvee. Add to that zombies being fast when the drama needs them to be fast, turn quickly when drama needs them to turn quickly...

They need Morgan to show up and take over security. He'd be aghast that the group has lasted as long as it has.

People walking backwards, what? What is that complaint even about? People not closing doors for protection... did you sleep through the episode, Hershel practically spelled out why for you in it AND THEN HE STARTED CLOSING THE DOORS WHEN THINGS LOOKED BAD! Hyundai, humvee, maybe they're having troubles with the humvee and it's not a reliable vehicle, who gives a poo poo. We get it, you're smarter than the show, as this list of amazing nitpicks clearly proves.

Oh hey, how did that killer kid theory work out for you?

edit: It's kind of telling that you're using a man who lost everything, including his sanity, as a paragon of survival to be emulated and followed. So what if he basically tried to commit suicide-by-Rick? That's survival tactics for you!

verybad fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 13, 2013

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Fog Tripper posted:

I was responding specifically to his complaint about the fence situation not being resolved since the first near-breakthrough, not saying that they never do anything dumb or make mistakes. I'm not sure what the rest of the post has to do with mine?

And yeah as bobkatt013 mentioned, Karen was talking in the opening about how bad the walker build-up was getting, but even then it was still manageable with the large team of people clearing every day, just getting worrisome. Literally the night after that scene is when the zombie outbreak happens and most of the fence clearing team is either killed, come down with the super-flu, or putting out the million fires the incident caused leaving the fences sorely under-manned.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Eh, one person clearing the fence would've been enough; they could've spared someone.

Grab a second for clearing the resulting zombie pile.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Judakel posted:

Eh, one person clearing the fence would've been enough; they could've spared someone.

They were getting overwelmed when they had 5-6 people doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Judakel posted:

They had one person clearing the fence this very episode. It was Maggie, and she clearly couldn't keep up.

• Locked thread