Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Instantly reminds me if the crab things at the bottom of the new new York highway on episode 2 or 3 of season 3 of the new Dr who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
You know the one thing I still wonder why this game is missing?

Why isn't there a giant shark pretender for underwater nations?!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Its worth showing off Living Mercury as well.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

LordNagash posted:

You know the one thing I still wonder why this game is missing?

Why isn't there a giant shark pretender for underwater nations?!

Also no giant spider for machaka.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I wish there was a "Conserve Communion Slaves" button. Thank you for joining the holy dominion brave dudes.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Ancient Oracles are still STR, but Olm Sages aren't (and 2w1e). And Great Olms at 50 g, 1 resource might replace those Troglodytes.
Living Mercury is enchantment, and unleash imprisoned ones is alt9. I have a goal. What was the name of that testing mod, sage or something?

P.S. Earth Reader changes fantastic EA.

1). Earth Reader is E2 and 1 random fire water or death
2). Engraver is E1, 70 gold, adept 2 researcher, for 9 research, 12 with magic scales.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 13, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm somewhat surprised the Mercury Elemental has 0 prot, what with it being made of metal and all.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

you can pretty much poo poo out engravers.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LordSloth posted:

Ancient Oracles are still STR, but Olm Sages aren't (and 2w1e). And Great Olms at 50 g, 1 resource might replace those Troglodytes.
Living Mercury is enchantment, and unleash imprisoned ones is alt9. I have a goal. What was the name of that testing mod, sage or something?
Do you mean the Debug Mod?

It's over in the modding forum at Desura.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Can somebody give a rundown of the Agartha changes for people who haven't had the chance to patch yet?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So, uh, I just broke the seal and (spoiled just in case, I guess?) I got a fuckload of umbrals and penumbrals, but no imprisoned gods? I wanted to see them! :( Is it something like Wild Hunt where they show up randomly and attack people? What exactly did I unleash?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

So yeah, three 'titans' are unleashed and wander about the map, map move 10, teleporting, eating 1000 pop a turn.

Also, Chamber of the Broken Seal: increases death, 5 death gems a turn. Can no longer recruit seal guards.

Sadly, you can't repeat the ritual.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 13, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

AHAHAHAHHAAHA

Truly the gently caress the world spell.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

How are u posted:

Can somebody give a rundown of the Agartha changes for people who haven't had the chance to patch yet?

Nope. The changelog doesn't have enough details... However, if you're curious about a specific era I could go into some detail.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

They added a one-off event in this patch to adjust Agartha's sites to the new ones in ongoing games.

Of course if you're getting it in a game that wasn't started in last patch it might be something different or a bug.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

TheDemon posted:

They added a one-off event in this patch to adjust Agartha's sites to the new ones in ongoing games.

Of course if you're getting it in a game that wasn't started in last patch it might be something different or a bug.

I know, I just wanted to get a screenshot of the event as a memento.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

jBrereton posted:

If you've got Desura, you'll have just got a notice that an update's popped. You click the upgrade button there.

How about Gamersgate?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Honestly, it's best to just go ahead and do as much downloading as your service of choice will let you.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

LordSloth posted:

So yeah, three 'titans' are unleashed and wander about the map, map move 10, teleporting, eating 1000 pop a turn.

Also, Chamber of the Broken Seal: increases death, 5 death gems a turn. Can no longer recruit seal guards.

Sadly, you can't repeat the ritual.

That's cool and all but I'd rather have the effect of Open the Seal from Dom3 CBM.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

What exactly did Open the Seal do in CBM?

I mean this version does grant 200+ (pen) umbrals for my risen oracle.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Eh, some boring SC chasses and Utterdark.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
200 penumbrals are probably better than the 3 god chassis, and if I recall at least one of them wasn't a viable SC

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah they were just pretender chassis that didnt fit well at all with Agartha, only one i remember was father of winters which is ok i guess because of full slots but was otherwise underwhelming

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Alt-9 Unleash Dadaist Chaos, New Meta.

NinjaDebugger, if you're wondering about the new Pretender chassis IDs, for EA/MA Agartha, we have:

Earth made Flesh | 2502 (W1E3 BBW, actually kinda AwesomeGods standard already?, since she has Reinvig 4, 220 HP and 2/16 movement; prec and att/def are low, mind)

All eras of Agartha get:

Golden Pillar | 2503 (E3 Oracleesque thing but with several elemental resistances and 28 prot, only has one misc slot, though)

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 13, 2013

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

If you've got Desura, you'll have just got a notice that an update's popped. You click the upgrade button there.

Desura still confuses the hell out of me. I didn't get a notice and I can't find an "upgrade button", but I have the newest version available. I guess I do the same thing I always do and download the new installer and hope for the best. (Hey, it worked for "upgrading" the beta to the full game, so what can possibly go wrong? :v:)

Edit:

What do you know, it worked. Now onward to test how many times I can overwrite my install with another full install before something breaks!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 13, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Libluini posted:

Desura still confuses the hell out of me. I didn't get a notice and I can't find an "upgrade button", but I have the newest version available. I guess I do the same thing I always do and download the new installer and hope for the best. (Hey, it worked for "upgrading" the beta to the full game, so what can possibly go wrong? :v:)

Edit:

What do you know, it worked. Now onward to test how many times I can overwrite my install with another full install before something breaks!

Click launch game and it will tell you "UPDATE AVAILABLE, UPDATE?"

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

The version history on Illwinter's site is different (read, better organized) than the patch notes that have been coming along so far i.e. Desura. The new section still seems to overlook a few things, like Engravers, so don't forget to dig around yourself.

excerpt posted:

Changes to EA Agartha
Pretenders:
- Earth Made Flesh
- Pillar
Units:
- Ancient Wet Ones
- Olm Sage (in caves and womb of earth)
- Great Olm (in caves and womb of earth)
Heroes:
- Members of the Closed Council x3 (death, forests, water)
- Deepthought descr
Sites: (a one time event should add the new sites in ongoing games)
- Womb of the Earth
Spells:
- Release Imprisoned Ones.
- Barathrus & Rhuax needs site: Roots of the Earth.
- Living Mercury
- Cavern Wights (EA - no magic weapons) - altered cost and available EA
- Penumbral
- Umbral

Changes to MA Agartha
Pretenders:
- Earth Made Flesh
- Pillar
Units:
- Defender of the Halls
- Shard Guard
- Ancient One +1 att, +1def, throw rocks, descr fix, better armor, standard +1
- Ancient Lord +1 att (IIRC)
- Halls of Oracles no longer gives gems
- Roots of the Earth
- Broken Seal
Spells:
- Attentive statues, sentinels lvl and cost
- Olm Conclave
- Umbral more efficient
- Penumbral more efficient
- Living Mercury
- Shard Wights - replaces cavern wights in MA and LA
- Hall of Statues (many sentinels)

Changes to LA Agartha
Pretenders:
- Pillar
- Master Alchemist
Units:
- Alchemists
- Sappers throw cave fire
- Blindlord ldr
Heroes:
- Master of Alchemical Secrets
Spells:
- Nightmare Reanimation
- Shard Wights
- Halls of the Dead
- Penumbral and Umbral efficient (like in MA)
- Iron Ancestor spell cost and unit statfix
- Iron corpse spell cost and numbers
Items:
- Nationrestricted Barrel of Mercury

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 13, 2013

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

Click launch game and it will tell you "UPDATE AVAILABLE, UPDATE?"

Oh, so that was it. Sadly what I'm seeing instead is more along the line of "Install Game". (I really didn't want another weird software like Steam installed, so I downloaded and installed Dominions 4 without Desura.) No wonder I couldn't find the "Upgrade-Button".

Looks like I have to continue stubbornly working around this issue if Desura doesn't let me download the patch separately. :shrug:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

As far as I can tell from JK's posts, you have to redownload the whole thing if you're doing it that way, desura OR gamersgate. There is no standalone, at least not yet.

It wasn't asked for, but if you want to switch between patches:
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/switching-between-patches

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

TheDemon posted:

200 penumbrals are probably better than the 3 god chassis, and if I recall at least one of them wasn't a viable SC

I mean in comparison to the randomly attacking supergods.

LordLeckie posted:

Yeah they were just pretender chassis that didnt fit well at all with Agartha, only one i remember was father of winters which is ok i guess because of full slots but was otherwise underwhelming

If you read the description of the spell, only one of the three was supposed to fit with Agartha.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
We just finished our first vanilla dom4 game, yay!
I always enjoy reading summaries of games, so let's do that for this one too.
I played the new Pangaea offshoot, Asphodel.
Their dominion kills your population and gives you manikin:

They come in a couple of flavours but they're all pretty excellent, against living troops.
Temples, forests, growth and magic increase reanimation rate.

Panic apostates are sweet because they're not cap-only and nature has great buffs for your troops, which are more important than in dom3.
Still not much battlemagic, so they all defaulted to skelly spamming after buffing.
They can also get 1 earth or water, so magic diversity isn't very high.
I also recruited some black dryads to ferry around manikin and many, many harpies. You can get them in forests now and they're awesome scouts, gemcarriers and leaders of raiding parties.

They're the only troops I recruited, around 8 can take pretty much all indies or pd under 20.

Here's my god, Asphodel expands fine and can't really use a bless, so she brings a bunch of diversity and utility. Dominion strenght isn't important because temples increase it and I only have to pay 100 gold for one.

World map, tried to colourmatch to game colours; I'm the forest green, bottom centre.
Early expansion went well, grabbing 25 indies.
By that time Ulm was attacking Pan (light green, east of me) and Vana (light blue, north of me) was fighting Pyth (light purple), Sceleria (dark purple) and sometimes Mari (orange). Ermor (black) was at war with Caelum (gray) and Mari. I tried to save Pan, got as far as sieging Ulm's cap but he threw me off. Was counting on shadow blast and flanking his pikemen, but his line formation messed up both those plans. My manikin took too long getting through his blockers and his iron darts casters (two times the damage against magical beings) massacred them. Pan was done for by then, so Ulm and I made peace with a twenty turn NAP and me ceding a province. I got a hundred nature gems from Pan though, so not a complete loss. They were spend on mother oak, gift of health and carrion lords. I also cast a whole lot of transformation throughout the game, to compensate for my turmoil scales. Maybe two out of almost forty died and goh took care of the couple that got feebleminded.

You get holy spells giving AP and regen to your undead (though they can resist the buff), so they're very useful.

At this time Vana was pushing back Pyth and Scele with Ctis (the green up north) attacking Scele once or twice, Aby (red) and Rlyeh were bickering a bit and Mari and Caelum were holding off Ermor. Ulm went to fight Ermor, who had put up burden of time by now. and I attacked Vana, mostly raiding with centaurs untill I had arrow fend researched.
Now for a goon game staple: Caelum had been driving back Ermor, using his god to cast earthquakes and his allies were actually helping out. Things were looking up! And as soon as they did, everything falls apart. Rlyeh takes a large payment from Ermor to magic duel Caelum's god and kills it. And Ulm and Mari start fighting eachother.
The Vana war went much better for me, Scele took the brunt of the fighting and I of the provinces, finally finding astral mages. Rlyeh tries and fails a couple of times to take Pyth's cap, which falls to me eventually. Aby tried to invade Scele, but has suffered greatly from bot and is crushed. At this point Aby, Mari and Ulm go AI, leaving lots of land to be gobbled up by Ermor and I. Caelum's killed by Ermor and sends me another two hundred gems, for the aid I tried to give against Ermor and a promise to avenge him. Ermor, Scele and I are the main contenders now, with Rlyeh and Ctis also still playing.
Ermor and Scele attack me and dispell my mother oak, but leave goh up. I'd been hiding my centaurs in Scele for a while now and focus my main efforts there, while fighting a defensive war in the west against Ermor (the east still has a bunch of AI Ulm provinces). I stupidly lose my god against Ermor, casting earthquake instead of rain of stones, but she comes back quickly. My troops aren't very usefull against theirs since sleep vines don't work on undead, but I can commit more mages and I've been pushing my dominion hard, so I always fight in my dom with goh. My centaurs raid Scele with great succes, he can't really counterraid cause my lands are covered in undead with a priest in the pd. Rlyeh invades Ctis, who responds by putting up wrath of god, raining down ligthning in his dominion and also in my turmoil dom. In the end my armies just slowly follow my dom creeping into their lands.

Dom info at turn 68.
So many words!
Also iod I would like to see the dom and army graphs if possible!

Fleur Bleu fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 13, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Quick question, why transformation?

Was Burden affecting your pans, I thought they had pretty long lifespans?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Having a commander named to remind you of your treaties is a pretty good idea.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

jsoh posted:

Make it a normal human commander, if someone throws up Burden you know it's time to break it.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

tooterfish posted:

Quick question, why transformation?

Was Burden affecting your pans, I thought they had pretty long lifespans?

They transform into animals, which don't cost any upkeep.
I've had almost forty pans transformed for two years, saving about 15000 gold.
I lost a giant ant pan to bot after transformation. On the other I hand I got a great eagle, who could shapechange into a niefel jarl chassis!

jsoh posted:

Also for trades, searching and some of the new events. They should really add a little notebook ingame.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
I know the ashpodel dominion kills population but only slowly. How did it feel in a long game? Seems like you still wan gold for pan's and centaurs.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Fleur Bleu posted:

Also iod I would like to see the dom and army graphs if possible!

We can make that happen.

100g temples are very silly:

MA is still the worst A, but in brand new ways:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

So going by the notes, EA Agartha should release the imprisoned:

quote:

Changes to EA Agartha
Spells:
- Release Imprisoned Ones.

Changes to MA Agartha
- Broken Seal

How scary are the creatures that are released? From the picture posted they don't have too much health but I can't recognise all the little icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
They are invulnerable, etheral,blood vengeance, innate spell casters that have an instant kill attack in addition to the rest of their awesome stuff. They are immune to normal troops. High but not insurmountable MR means that it can still be killed. A lot of it's defense is neutralized by magic weapons. So it is scary and annoying and hard to pin down on a strategic map level and you need something specially tailored to kill it.

• Locked thread