Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Heavy Zed posted:

I think there are some clues to the actual motivation a couple of pages later. First he offhandedly mentions that Annie isn't allowed to visit the forest any more. If choosing Smitty to be medium was intended to end that then maybe it's about upsetting something Coyote is planning for her. Since Coyote immediately reverses that part of it they may even be on to something.

What's even weirder is that then the headmaster suggests she could surrender Reynardine to court custody. As I understand it the court has always had the authority to demand that she hand him over but didn't because they were concerned that it would make it easier for him to escape. And anyway what does that even have to do with the medium position anyway? She's had him since before she was being considered for the role, or at least before anyone had told her she was being considered.

I never really realized how confusing that page is.

See my thinking is that it was such a transparent ploy, it has to be covering up something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Heavy Zed posted:

What's even weirder is that then the headmaster suggests she could surrender Reynardine to court custody. As I understand it the court has always had the authority to demand that she hand him over but didn't because they were concerned that it would make it easier for him to escape. And anyway what does that even have to do with the medium position anyway? She's had him since before she was being considered for the role, or at least before anyone had told her she was being considered.

The reason Rey's not using his soul jumping powers to take over everyone and escape is because he is in a toy that Annie owns, and thus can't do anything without her express permission. I mean, probably also because he's become a nice guy now and wouldn't kill people. But from the court perspective, that's the reason. So they can order her to give him up, but then he'd be free to do whatever he wanted to.

Plus, Annie could just say 'hell no,' and then she's also got a fox trickster spirit who can snatch bodies on her side if she needs to fight back. And she can use the power of a fire elemental. And has a friend who invents anti-gravity devices on a whim and could probably call up an army of robots to fight for her if needed. Hell, now that I think of it, if I were one of the leaders of the court I'd be pretty scared of the power base that's building up around Annie and company.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

BobTheJanitor posted:

The reason Rey's not using his soul jumping powers to take over everyone and escape is because he is in a toy that Annie owns, and thus can't do anything without her express permission. I mean, probably also because he's become a nice guy now and wouldn't kill people. But from the court perspective, that's the reason. So they can order her to give him up, but then he'd be free to do whatever he wanted to.

Plus, Annie could just say 'hell no,' and then she's also got a fox trickster spirit who can snatch bodies on her side if she needs to fight back. And she can use the power of a fire elemental. And has a friend who invents anti-gravity devices on a whim and could probably call up an army of robots to fight for her if needed. Hell, now that I think of it, if I were one of the leaders of the court I'd be pretty scared of the power base that's building up around Annie and company.

Hell, I'd be worried most about Jones. She's been shown to be neutral in the whole court/forest thing, and she at least likes Annie. If Jones sided with Annie on anything like that, there's sweet gently caress-all they could do about it.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

BobTheJanitor posted:

I know. That's why I don't understand this page, where the headmaster seems to want or expect Annie to hand over Reynardine now that she's not the medium any more. But I mean, those things aren't related at all right? Why is he even bringing it up right then?

quote:

The court also has magic computers and power stations that can control lightning. They were even somewhat successfully containing Reynardine for a while. I don't think that they're doing anything out of a fear of immediate reprisal from one fire elemental even if her friend is the god of the robots.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Heavy Zed posted:

I know. That's why I don't understand this page, where the headmaster seems to want or expect Annie to hand over Reynardine now that she's not the medium any more. But I mean, those things aren't related at all right? Why is he even bringing it up right then?

The court also has magic computers and power stations that can control lightning. They were even somewhat successfully containing Reynardine for a while. I don't think that they're doing anything out of a fear of immediate reprisal from one fire elemental even if her friend is the god of the robots.

The magical computers, at least, are also on Annie's side; at least insofar as the Donlans have more of a personal investment in Annie's well-being than they do that of a nebulous and contradictory entity like "the entire Court of Gunner's Crag". The Court thinks the magic computers are useless because Anja and Don can't fully explain how they work.

What gets me about wanting Annie to hand Rey over is that Annie lets him wander the Court unsupervised. He's made his peace with Eglamore, who you may remember as that guy whose close friend he murdered; they loving hang out together now. He's proven that he's probably better behaved under Annie's nominal ownership than he was before Coyote gave him the body-stealing thing ("Renard the fox" is an old French folk hero; I don't know much of the stories but I think he served a similar narrative purpose to Coyote, which is not a stellar character reference). There's not really any reason to think anyone would be better off if he were taken away. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is just the headmaster nursing a personal vendetta; everyone who gets slighted in that scene is someone he feels has undermined his authority somehow and if he's gotta act like a Republican and make terrible decisions that cause trouble for everyone just to soothe his own ego he's gonna do it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I would guess Llanwellyn was trying to gauge Annie's relationship with Coyote/Ysengrin/Renard. Seeing how she responds to being forbidden from the forest - and how Coyote responds - or to the suggestion that Reynardine be returned (not even an order, just an offer under the premise that she might be tired of the responsibility). As to why he'd want to know how close she is to the hounds is anyone's guess, but he may well have grander plans for her than the role of medium.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Heavy Zed posted:

I think that Reynard would actually be more difficult to imprison now and Kat's parents might have realized it. Reynard is a legendary trickster and while a Rogat Orjak body is very strong but also large and easy to track and Reynard still managed to escape, now he's in the body of a shapeshifting doll which I don't think the Donlans could reliably control without killing him.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

IronicDongz posted:

We don't know anything about Paz's parents, do we? I sorta just realized that.
We can guess they live in a rural area, possibly as farmers or near a farm, since Paz got all excited about seeing the laser cows before she realized they were robots. But it's just a guess. :shobon:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Parts Kit posted:

We can guess they live in a rural area, possibly as farmers or near a farm, since Paz got all excited about seeing the laser cows before she realized they were robots. But it's just a guess. :shobon:

Their last name was mentioned in the chapter where Kat gets the idea for the bird wing thing, by Robot.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

SHISHKABOB posted:

I just don't think that there's any reason, based on evidence from the story, to believe that the robots think that it was logical or made any sense for Diego to have conspired to have Jeanne killed. I think that believing that the robots are more likely to misinterpret humans is something that we see a lot in other settings, but I don't believe we've seen any evidence for it in GKC.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole thing behind them showing Kat and Annie the video was to ask them why someone would do such a thing to a person they love.

pumpinglemma posted:

Going by these two pages, I'd say homophobia in the Court is alive and well - Kat and Paz are both acting as though being anything other than straight is at least slightly taboo. I think we should probably assume that the Court is roughly equivalent to the real UK in terms of attitudes.

There's also this.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Heliotrope posted:

There's also this.

That and the two pages referenced previously strike me more as adolescent awkwardness about sexuality than any underlying homophobia.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wyld Karde posted:

That and the two pages referenced previously strike me more as adolescent awkwardness about sexuality than any underlying homophobia.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it as well.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Going to grab this for an avatar now. What do you all think for the title:

"And now I am feeling ultra bummed"

OR

"That was a BAD business decision!"

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Captain_Person posted:

Going to grab this for an avatar now. What do you all think for the title:

"And now I am feeling ultra bummed"

OR

I'd say the ultra bummed title would work.

It's funny because of the pun about bums and going to prison. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wyld Karde posted:

But it relies on a fear of people not thinking of her as a real girl, based on stereotyping lesbians as masculine. In a society 100% free of homophobia, this wouldn't be an issue.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Parts Kit posted:

I hope the ending of this chapter shows Kat working on a laser cow while Paz is there.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Gosh darn it guys do you know how many robots are staring?

and one Annie :ohdear:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The little robot crowd is really funny to me for some reason. I just can't imagine how awkward it would be making out while a swarm of robots ogled you.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

The little robot crowd is really funny to me for some reason. I just can't imagine how awkward it would be making out while a swarm of robots ogled you.
Just as well Paz has her back to them then.

Welp, I hope Annie's just thinking "Not a good time, better come back later" or maybe "Last time this happened and I started talking, they all just stared angrily at me. I'll go talk somewhere else."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah if I were Annie I'd just trying to head off before they noticed me to let them get on with their very important makeout. Hope that's it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Meh, I've never kicked my computer out of the room when I have company for the night. On the other hand, I do kick the dog out of the room... though I probably wouldn't if it were an Aibo... hm. I don't know quite how to feel about that.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Possible twist: From where she was standing Annie couldn't tell who Kat was kissing, leading to an awkward conversation later when she asks who the lucky guy was.

Edit: Nevermind, she could see the skirt.

Spikey fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 13, 2013

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Glad somebody shut up that fuckin pigeon at least

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Robots what are you doing.

Its creepy! :v

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I wonder how the homophobes feel about this three-page snogfest. :allears:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I can't decide whether the crowd of little robots watching is adorable or creepy. Creedorable?

Portals posted:

I wonder how the homophobes feel about this three-page snogfest. :allears:

Hopefully they feel an aneurysm popping.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Spikey posted:

Possible twist: From where she was standing Annie couldn't tell who Kat was kissing, leading to an awkward conversation later when she asks who the lucky guy was.

The lucky guy is pretty clearly wearing a skirt.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Spikey posted:

Hey Kat, I saw you over the shoulder of someone with girly brown hair and a skirt kissing them. I didn't know any boys here like that, what's his name? :V
e:f,b

realtalk: maybe Annie'll be sad about not being with anyone while all her friends are finding people(especially since it could remind her that she can't have kids with someone without dying)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It looks like Annie's pose in the "running away" panel is the same as her "exit stage left…OR RIGHT" pose, but from the back.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'm pretty sure that's just Annie deciding it's not a good time to interrupt things. Although Kat might get all worked up worrying about it anyway 'cos she's like that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Carrasco posted:

It looks like Annie's pose in the "running away" panel is the same as her "exit stage left…OR RIGHT" pose, but from the back.

This so hard. I knew I knew that pose from somewhere. Amazing. How can Tom keep character's body language consistent across the chasm that is 1000 pages of steadily improving artwork? The mind boggles.

Also, for someone who is generally flustered and unlucky, Paz is straight up kicking rear end at this whole romance thing so far.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

This gets my vote.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Captain_Person posted:

Yeah, I'd go with this one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I guess Kat finally learned how to clear her thoughts!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Jeez robots, give the ladies some space.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I wanna pin that first panel over a big drat rainbow and smile every time I see it.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Kennel posted:

(animated)

Right, payday's here, I've got my debit card on hand and I can't for the life of me think of a title text to go with this avatar. Any suggestions?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah my money is on Kat thinking it's gonna be some big deal and Annie just being like "so why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend now? :allears::allears::allears:"

Somehow I don't think Annie really cares about that scene other than "whoops, intruding on a personal moment, exit stage right"

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I think it's because of the panel where she's just standing there. If she was more shocked, I feel her stance would be different. As it is she just looks, well, awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I think it's because of the panel where she's just standing there. If she was more shocked, I feel her stance would be different. As it is she just looks, well, awkward.

Wouldn't you be awkward if you just walked in on your friend, who you previously thought straight, kissing someone of the same sex?