Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't even watch an LP of X7. Just listen to its actually pretty baller soundtrack on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I think that saying X6 is mediocre by any measure is giving it waaaaay too much credit, but to each their own I guess.

Playing through X-X6 for the first time a few years ago I walked away with X and X4 being my favorite. And really if you want the core experience of X5 you don't even need to play it, just stare at a jpeg of Duff McWhalen for a few minutes.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

You guys are just making me curious about X7 now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Penakoto posted:

In a nutshell they tried to make the franchise 3D in a way that would have been embarrassing during the PSX era, nevermind PS2.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
X5 is my third favorite X game and I will not be ashamed of it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Penakoto posted:

Burn to the ground.

That's all you need to know.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alteisen posted:

Burn to the ground.

That's all you need to know.

I really feel like Violen summed up X7 and its various horrors well enough in his X6 videos.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I will put it like this. I finished X7 and enjoyed some of it. I also finished X6 and enjoyed barely any of it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

blackguy32 posted:

I will put it like this. I finished X7 and enjoyed some of it. I also finished X6 and enjoyed barely any of it.

At least X7 has good music, unlike X6 which failed minus Infinity Waterflea's stage.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you're at all curious about x7 watch the recent LP

There is nothing creative, attractive, or fun in the game. It's worse than a half-assed first-time programmers unity project. There's a miniboss that's a motionless bird that just slides around on a pedestal. Most of the levels are just long samey areas with the same enemy over and over again. Reploids permanently die if you don't save them - not just from special enemies like nightmares, but if ANY enemy hits one it dies forever.

It's a big runny crap. The difference between it and X8 is loving jaw-dropping.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TaurusOxford posted:

At least X7 has good music, unlike X6 which failed minus Infinity Waterflea's stage.

Look at this man and his bad opinion.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Penakoto posted:

Every level is 3D but it has a particularly annoying level where you have to keep going through portals that puts the world upside down, but it is done in the most annoying manner possible, with reversing your controls from how you feel like it should be, it floats, the characters are poo poo and you don't play as X to start, because X doesn't trust the new kid who can somehow take the form of certain enemies he kills in a certain way that takes too long, too many bullets and you die too easily.

Don't play X7. I watched an LP of it. It was also annoying.

Burn it to the ground. (all the bosses have voice-clips that they spam with every attack and the voice-clips are loud, longer than the attack and therefore insanely annoying)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Obligatory link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTsvWTtoiQ

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Rita Repulsa posted:

If you're at all curious about x7 watch the recent LP

There is nothing creative, attractive, or fun in the game. It's worse than a half-assed first-time programmers unity project. There's a miniboss that's a motionless bird that just slides around on a pedestal. Most of the levels are just long samey areas with the same enemy over and over again. Reploids permanently die if you don't save them - not just from special enemies like nightmares, but if ANY enemy hits one it dies forever.

It's a big runny crap. The difference between it and X8 is loving jaw-dropping.

I guess it's a bad time to bring up Megaman X Command Mission?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I came here to post about the release of Mega Man Remade and then saw that RushJet1 himself is posting here so I'll take this opportunity to say that RushJet1, your remixes are absolutely loving amazing and I'm going to throw some more dollars at you soon.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I'd play a Megaman that went full shmup.
There's always MegaMari for that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

J.A.B.C. posted:

I guess it's a bad time to bring up Megaman X Command Mission?

Command Mission was a pretty good game, as well it should've been because it and X8 needed to be to apologize for X7. But then again, I also still kinda like X6, problems and all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I wanted to like Command Mission so much but it was just so intensely boring that I never beat it. Cool graphics though.

X7 is a bad game but it's a bad game that makes a fun rental, if that makes any sense. X6 is a bad game with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It might actually be worse than Battle Network 4.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ryoshi posted:

I wanted to like Command Mission so much but it was just so intensely boring that I never beat it. Cool graphics though.

X7 is a bad game but it's a bad game that makes a fun rental, if that makes any sense. X6 is a bad game with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It might actually be worse than Battle Network 4.

X6 might be better than Network Transmission, at least. Network Transmission is just baaaad.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!

I spent a full weekend afternoon trying to get passed the second Sigma boss. I don't even want to think about the obligatory boss rush before Sigma.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Please don't play X6 or X7. They are among the very worst Mega Man games that were actually made by Capcom and released on consoles and not a third party budget release for MS-DOS or Wonderswan or a Tiger handheld or whatever. It would be hard to make them any less fun.

X1, X2 and X4 are fantastic though and X3 is pretty good. X5 and X8 are on the mediocre side (people just like X8 because the last two games were unbelievably bad so even a meh game is an improvement). X6 and X7 are bad beyond comprehension.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I hold X4 and X8 as the best MMXs, with the big exception of Gigabolt Man-O-War's stage because seriously gently caress that stage. And all the SNES ones are great.

X5 would have been a fully decent game if it didn't have Alia. It's not the only fault it has, but the rest of them aren't nearly as bad as the fact that you get forcibly stopped every ten seconds for unimportant information. Making the Navigator messages optional was the only thing X6 had that improved upon X5.

X6 is an orgy in terrible stage design and X7 is an orgy in terrible everything. Really, just watch the LP.

The Wonderswan game isn't anywhere near as bad as those two. It's not even a bad game, really.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Alright so, X1 -> X5 + X8 = worth playing.

I'll stick to X1 -> X5 for now since they're in the X collection, if I finish all them I'll keep X8 in mind.

This post looks like algebra homework at a glance.

tssentry
Aug 23, 2012

You looked, JUNKER!
I never thought X6 would be as bad as people say it is but after playing it I'm inclined to agree. What were they thinking with that stage design? I mean it's still decent overall, but as a MMX game it's like I'm playing a really lovely romhack of X5 or something.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

X6 might be better than Network Transmission, at least. Network Transmission is just baaaad.

You are out of your loving mind if you think Network Transmission was bad. It had superb stage design, right down to literally re-creating Fireman and Quickman's stage and don't even get me started on the absolutely amazing soundtrack.

I imagine most people didn't see a lot of it though, most people who played it couldn't get past Fireman(the first boss.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Network Transmission's difficulty curve is really stupid but other than that it's alright. I just remember having a lot of trouble early on and after getting newer cards the stages became really easy. Fireman is a pretty good example of this, since he gives very little margin for error even though he's the first boss (I believe it's something like getting hit 2-3 times will kill you? That is really dumb for a first boss).

It has a lot of half-baked ideas that probably would have been better implemented in a sequel, but alas.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alteisen posted:

You are out of your loving mind if you think Network Transmission was bad. It had superb stage design, right down to literally re-creating Fireman and Quickman's stage and don't even get me started on the absolutely amazing soundtrack.

I imagine most people didn't see a lot of it though, most people who played it couldn't get past Fireman(the first boss.)

What the gently caress are you talking about? Several bosses are unreasonably hard, stages are stupid and their gimmicks aren't ever touched on again (the armors you can buy are useless after their stage!), the internet design is amazingly boring and samey and QuickMan.EXE's stage was NOT fun! The screen is waaaaay too zoomed in to react fast enough! Also the buster is unreasonably weak and there was no reason to limit chip use by weapon gauge and number of chips owned.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Several bosses are unreasonably hard, stages are stupid and their gimmicks aren't ever touched on again (the armors you can buy are useless after their stage!), the internet design is amazingly boring and samey and QuickMan.EXE's stage was NOT fun! The screen is waaaaay too zoomed in to react fast enough! Also the buster is unreasonably weak and there was no reason to limit chip use by weapon gauge and number of chips owned.

Sounds like you just sucked at it(I know how incredibly arrogant that sounds.) :silent:

Other than Quickman's all stages where completely normal Megaman fare, entirely straightforward, the weapon gauge/chip thing didn't matter because you could use multiples of the same chip, you could stock 30 cannons for christsake and that's just one slot, one you're done with the 30 cannons you got 4 more to putz around with, you could finish entire stages with those 30 cannons, armors where hardly useless, they still provided a defense boost if you wear them, just don't use the wrong element one in certain sectors, otherwise you take double damage.

In fact, the chip system let you approach things a bit differently, if Quickman's lasers where giving you poo poo, stock up on Invis and breeze through, you can even skip entire sections of stages or the net by using doublejump a bunch.

As for your zoomed in complaint, I don't really see it. :shrug:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Network Transmission is trash. The level design is practically nonexistant in 90% of cases, and whenever they try and do something with it, it's a complete trainwreck. "Literally recreating Quick Man" (and Ice Man too by the way) is not something you should ever use as praise, Quick lasers and ice block puzzles belong on the garbage heap of failed game design of way past. Other than that, there's vast stretches of level where's nothing happening, enemy placement is either almost unavoidable or inconsequential, and every stage is literally made out of square blocks stacked together in various ways. They look worse than on an NES because they don't sugarcoat that in any way.

Bosses are either "vulnerable whenever and thus you can take them out in seconds" or "we have a shield and/or an annoying counter and are therefor tedious as all hell". The ridiculously unbalanced damage values don't help, but the entire system is crazily flawed.

RushJet1
Apr 13, 2007

I write chiptunes. I also am trying to get into game development.
Forgot to post this in this thread, as it's probably the most relevant here.

Finished the Mega Man 1 Cover Playthrough project, the final video is done as well.

Youtube link
Bandcamp link

Simply Simon posted:

Bosses are either "vulnerable whenever and thus you can take them out in seconds" or "we have a shield and/or an annoying counter and are therefor tedious as all hell". The ridiculously unbalanced damage values don't help, but the entire system is crazily flawed.

It's been a long time since I played that, but I just remember the first few bosses being very overpowered (or really you were just very underpowered, same difference). I didn't really like using the chips because they felt kind of cheap sometimes. At least the music was pretty good overall.

RushJet1 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 13, 2013

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
Mega Man.exe has a weight to him the other Mega Man's don't which throws me off. And boss fights feel cramp like Mega Man 7 and the Game Boy MMs.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
New Mega Man X game spotted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha9-hnEQjIM&feature=youtu.be

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I know people are going to take that as another insult, but I think that's legitimately pretty awesome.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
No dash, not interested. :colbert:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man am I glad I found this thread. I loved loved LOVED just about every MegaMan game up to X, then I stopped playing. I knew X1 in and out but never figured out how to kill Sigma :( I must have put hundreds of hours into X1, I could probably come back and find every life upgrade container and armor upgrade just by starting the stage. Always wish I'd figured out how to beat that end fucker, though...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh man am I glad I found this thread. I loved loved LOVED just about every MegaMan game up to X, then I stopped playing. I knew X1 in and out but never figured out how to kill Sigma :( I must have put hundreds of hours into X1, I could probably come back and find every life upgrade container and armor upgrade just by starting the stage. Always wish I'd figured out how to beat that end fucker, though...

Sigma's final form was weak to rolling shield, and you can jump on his claws to hit his face(which is his only hittable spot).

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought the bosses in Network transmission were hard as poo poo until i decided to ignore rapid and just immediately maxed charge and attack on the buster. After that it just turned into megaman 6 where I never touched chips and just charge buster'd my way through everything.

I love that they used the X armor design from x1. I always thought X looked better in his armors then just being slightly more detailed megaman.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TaurusOxford posted:

Sigma's final form was weak to rolling shield, and you can jump on his claws to hit his face(which is his only hittable spot).

I'm going back to this game as a grown-rear end man and beating it...I can beat it this time!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm going back to this game as a grown-rear end man and beating it...I can beat it this time!

We all believe in you! ...Okay, maybe not that guy, but he's an rear end in a top hat anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

Be sure to completely fill your subtanks in the corridor before Sigma! Victory, thy name is GobiasIndustries! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I seriously had to look up a video to find out how to beat sigma, the dog beat me up alot when I was a kid. Thanks Violen! Now I too had to win the game as a grown rear end man.