Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sync
Nov 16, 2012

Retro Access posted:

Very relieved everything has calmed down. First drama free night in days in vent with everyone on the two sides talking thanks to the hugely boring timewaster that was the Halloween party that left us all chatting to kill time while we wait for the GMs to stop faffing around (the guild won in two categories in the costume party so people showed up for support.)

I may take the very kind offer of using the goon server.

This guild used to somewhat affiliate ourselves with DGKK. Way back when we were learning MCHM we were manipulating queue to run it with a lancer in DGKK who wanted to learn.

I can still do that if we're lacking members for a run (I don't think pugs even bother queueing MCHM to date. I've never failed at a cross server queue.)

Proportion, if you want to learn MCHM, or perhaps MCNM first (advisable) just ask -it's something we have to organise because out of the four of us who set up training runs, only one person still needs quills and doesn't see them as massive priority (Dannesk). The other two aren't always online, because of big schedules.

I'm still looking for somebody to organise stuff after when I go to bed.

Therein lies the problem. I'd love to organise a huge guild, but it's hard on me because I'm not always around. You have the very real issue of - it's not tied to Something Awful so people won't reign in the drama quite as hard (no risk of exposure/lack of funds due to a potential ban on forum.) The bulk of the players in the guild are professionals in their 30s- right up to 50s so I'm surprised this sort of thing has happened at all.

I always pretty much thought this was a rather big guild - by comparison to the rest of the server. Guilds on Tera tend to be small and there's only a couple of big zerg guilds. We're definitely in the top few, when alliance hit and we *all* did it we were always ranked near top, which was only attainable through lots of members - pre Wonderholme, the bulk of players did alliance quests.

I'll be hanging around in the mumble for most of the weekend, so if you want to get your channels and group set up, join whenever and we'll talk.

And you'd be surprised at the fact that people will actually MCHM queue, they're just mostly horrible people who got kicked out of other groups I guess. I tried it once and didn't ever feel the need to give that another go...

On an unrelated note, the pug WHHM raid I did last night insisted on glitching through half the dungeon and got caught by GM's. A GM showed up the clown room while the raid was waiting for me to get there (I was outside giving something to a friend) and started telling everyone in /s that they were officially warned and that we had to go back and do the dungeon right this time. Three people quit right away (because the giant/lizard is just too hard, right?). The real kicker is that without the 2 or 3 people who were glitching, we had already gotten up to the giant/lizard room so they would have only saved us maybe 5 minutes anyway, and now I might be on a warned list :(

Sync fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
I wonder how the GM even found out about it. Maybe there was a snitch in your raid!

Had no idea that the giant/lizard room could be skipped.

Sync
Nov 16, 2012

You can basically skip straight from the beginning right to the UFC room. It takes maybe 5-6 minutes to do the glitch, but if there's anyone in the raid who isn't able to, then you need to make a teleportal spawn to get the rest of the party up to where the glitcher is. To do that, whoever glitches needs to solo that spinning pillar thing and then a teleportal spawns right before the clown boss. So if the whole raid knows it you can even skip the clown boss, but I've never seen that happen personally. Without skipping the clown boss, it takes a long time to solo that pillar so it really isn't all that much faster anyway. The glitch in itself is kind of interesting, but you won't see any raids I'm in doing it anymore, I'll say that much for sure.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Used all my keys last night and wake up to see a strongbox event :negative:

Edit: Apparently I have the whole day off tomorrow. Anyone interested in running a CS doom group starting around 2-3pm PST? I need to break 1400 before I inevitable hit level 60 and have to wear zyrks and stuff. If we get enough people we could start running Goon vs Goon games going too.

Wassbix fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 31, 2013

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I'm so close to getting that halloween horse with the giant dangly flail for a tail I can almost taste it*

*the horses butt

e: 2manned it, still got R2.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 2, 2013

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
So did a round of 3s and noticed something even funnier. So everyone knows about kicking a dead person replaces them with a new alive teammates. Well turns out when this occurs, the new person enters the instance with whatever buffs/charms they had prior to entering. I had to do a double take after a zerker with savage scroll and the 12% dmg pot one shot our healer.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Woke up 3 hours before work and decided to solo queue a CS with my level 30 Alt. Ran into the Rank 1 premade in CS. They have a 1 1600s 3 1500s and 1 1400. This was the result

Turns out the high ranked CS premades just queue at 3-5am and are just plain terrible. Their plan consisted of trying to random pvp mid pyre and then try to break inner mid door down without taking mid pyre (it didn't work). I ended up sniping their outer pyres and playing merry go around it for 4 minutes. Their defense was even sadder they just ran out to pvp us and me and a priest just climbed an empty ladder into a win. Reinforces the point that MMO players instead of looking for a challenge would rather queue at 5am for points (then lose)

Also, ran into a NFA (lead by shiori?) CS premade earlier on while playing with a friend. They let south airship through and then started calling everyone BRs. The leader literally said "You're all stupid BRs, except my premade".

Wassbix fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 6, 2013

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I've only play with Shiori once (a random WHHM run), but he is what many of the regular NFAs would call a "super autist".

Nevertheless, heres the 1 million dollar question: how much rating did their rank 1 player lose?

Best dunk yet?

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
He lost around 80~ was down to something like 1520 from 1600 and the others lost around 80 ~ 70 as well. Which is around 30-40 wins cause after 1400 you get like 3-4 a win.

It wasn't the best dunk despite it being the highest rated premade I've ever dunked. It was just pretty sad this was the highest rated premade in CS. It was so transparent what they were planning, I let the mid tank die and fall to the courtyard and then just skyboxed them there in safety. They just had no plan beyond "we can pvp better than them so march on mid" and get shredded by tanks. Then while they were doing that I just sniped their outer pyres and they just gave up and chased me around for the last 5 minutes.

Wassbix fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 6, 2013

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

What the gently caress is a BR and why is there so much hate? I have never understood it.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Lyer posted:

What the gently caress is a BR and why is there so much hate? I have never understood it.

BR means Brazil. Its a convenient scapegoat for white people to blame for their own failing at video games on the unwashed dark skinned foreigner. Because clearly white people are the master race at video games and are being held back by their coloured teammates.

Kill Whitey

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

That is...wow, Tera cements its status as having the shittiest community I've ever seen in an mmo.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

What? That's not specific to Tera. It's more of an issue of non-english speaking players being unable to communicate with english speaking players trying to teach them but :can:

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
IIRC BR was a term used wayyy back in lineage 2, where the huge alliances were sorta segregated into nationalities, back in like 2001/2002, but it wasn't really a derogatory term back then. Probably because L2 was a game with actual organization and pvp and BR clans were quite well organized and one of the stronger forces next to the Chinese and Russian clans.

It mostly started being a stupid racist scapegoating around League of Legends where people in solo queue ranked would just blame losses on BR teammates instead of admitting they were in fact rear end at the game!

It's also pretty patronizing to think non-english speaker need some dumb white guy to teach them how to play.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Coming from painful experience playing in the Latin American servers for WoW, you'd be surprised at the huge advantage you get when you can actually read the language that most of the game guides written in.

We had a guy who's specific job in the raid was to translate raid strategies and class guides, and properly distributing them skyrocketed performance for the raid as a whole. Hell, the top guild in my server had 'must speak english at a high enough level to understand boss videos' as a requirement.

It's also pretty patronizing to think that non-english speakers need some white guy to defend them on how they play.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Wassbix posted:

It's also pretty patronizing to think non-english speaker need some dumb white guy to teach them how to play.

The majority of this game's reference materials (boss guides, class guides, etc) are in English. Unless someone goes to extreme lengths to translate all of these they will be a disadvantage. It has nothing to do with patronizing or even my skin color.

E: like, literally, what you're doing is SJW bullshit and this is also my last post on this topic

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
New mount on KTera. I'm going after Motor Pig when he gets here. :allears:

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
Well, I guess I'm going to have to come back for that top pig.

rockrobster
Jun 14, 2013
I bought this game right before it went F2P, and only played for a few weeks. Some buddies of mine are just now starting to play. However, I'm trying to get into the Goon guild Dragongod Knightkings. I've put in an app (I think), but it's not showing up in my guild applications tab. Am I doing something wrong?

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
No I got you. Welcome to the guild!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Warriors are awesome and I have no idea why I never tried playing one before. Killing stuff seems almost mystic slow, though.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Takes a while before warriors start to be beefy because of their reliance on one skill and its glyph. I personally feel it's faster than my slayer in similar gear levels.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lyer posted:

Takes a while before warriors start to be beefy because of their reliance on one skill and its glyph. I personally feel it's faster than my slayer in similar gear levels.

I'm leveling a warrior alt. Which skill do you mean? Blade Draw?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

I'm leveling a warrior alt. Which skill do you mean? Blade Draw?

Yes. Combo ALL THE THINGS into Blade Draw, and use the glyph for a chance to reset the cool down for even more Blade Draws.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So is this thing any less grindy? I quit my zerker I bought on release at 46? Because holy poo poo it took eons to level and the quests all sucked and gambling for stat boosts is dumb.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So is this thing any less grindy? I quit my zerker I bought on release at 46? Because holy poo poo it took eons to level and the quests all sucked and gambling for stat boosts is dumb.

I started around 2 month ago, and it took me around a month to hit 60 with zero PvE, and only leveling off the BG. On my Alt I did some PvE and it took me around 2 hours to go from 48 to 57 with a 100% xp boost. Leveling seems super easy. Overall doesn't seem very grindy unless you NEED to have that +12.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
I started a lancer two days ago and I'm already level 32. Instant tank queues, soloing BAMs (and doing it in 2 minutes or so) and the changes to leveling (there were changes right?) makes this a ton of fun again.

I'll have to check and see what the leveling is like once I hit the 50s but for now it's really, really nice.

I just apped to the guild to see if there's any activity, but I'll be offering goons a free ride on a fast tank queue.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Are warriors still useful as tanks? I've got one at level 45 and I just seem so damned squishy compared to the lancers I see in pugs that I don't see how I could dodge tank enough while still holding aggro.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

tallian posted:

Are warriors still useful as tanks? I've got one at level 45 and I just seem so damned squishy compared to the lancers I see in pugs that I don't see how I could dodge tank enough while still holding aggro.

I've tanked everything up to level 57 without problems so far. You aren't supposed to dodge tank, you're supposed to be using block most of the time, and Death From Above in emergencies. Torrent Of Blows is your main agro grabber, and it also fills a ton of resolve for you, so you can keep blocking. Tanking mobs is pretty horrible for me still, the idea is you Torrent Of Blows, retreat a bit so they all get in front of you, block till ToB is off CD, then repeat. It kinda works, but I still take a ton of damage.

For glyphs, you can glyph defensive stance for +20% endurance, which makes you pretty tough, though not lancer tough. There's probably a lot more to it, but more experienced people than me in the thread would do a better job explaining.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gerblyn posted:

I've tanked everything up to level 57 without problems so far. You aren't supposed to dodge tank, you're supposed to be using block most of the time, and Death From Above in emergencies. Torrent Of Blows is your main agro grabber, and it also fills a ton of resolve for you, so you can keep blocking. Tanking mobs is pretty horrible for me still, the idea is you Torrent Of Blows, retreat a bit so they all get in front of you, block till ToB is off CD, then repeat. It kinda works, but I still take a ton of damage.

For glyphs, you can glyph defensive stance for +20% endurance, which makes you pretty tough, though not lancer tough. There's probably a lot more to it, but more experienced people than me in the thread would do a better job explaining.

Wait, warriors get block now? Pretty sure we didn't have that before when I played around launch.

Dodge tanking was fun tho.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Are Slayers a saturated class? I plan on joining up with Goons once I'm done patching, and while Slayer looks like my type of class I rather not be stuck in queues forever.

I'm reading that tanks get right through. Are there viable PvP tanks?

edit: picked Lancer. Name is Draincell if someone could invite!

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 17, 2013

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

yancy2010 posted:

Are Slayers a saturated class? I plan on joining up with Goons once I'm done patching, and while Slayer looks like my type of class I rather not be stuck in queues forever.

I'm reading that tanks get right through. Are there viable PvP tanks?

edit: picked Lancer. Name is Draincell if someone could invite!

I ran Sinestal Manor once and didn't run any pre-60 dungeons so my input might not be that useful, but lvl 60 dungeons don't really require a tank and can (and frequently is) ran with just healer and dps only. Every class has some sort of evasion so you can run them without a tank. I think the only level 60 dungeon I've run with a dedicated was wonderholm but its boring and no one should ever run that.

So pick what you want really there really isn't a saturation problem no matter what you pick. Lancers are considered the top PvP class atm and they hit just as hard as DPS, with a lot of fun tricks too.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Wassbix posted:

I ran Sinestal Manor once and didn't run any pre-60 dungeons so my input might not be that useful, but lvl 60 dungeons don't really require a tank and can (and frequently is) ran with just healer and dps only. Every class has some sort of evasion so you can run them without a tank. I think the only level 60 dungeon I've run with a dedicated was wonderholm but its boring and no one should ever run that.

So pick what you want really there really isn't a saturation problem no matter what you pick. Lancers are considered the top PvP class atm and they hit just as hard as DPS, with a lot of fun tricks too.

Right on, I ended up going with an Aman Lancer, digging it so far (lvl 10)

Can someone invite me to the guild? Kind of annoying that you can't see who's online if you aren't in the guild.. Name is Draincell.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
If you go to the alt menu, under 'social', go to 'Guilds -> Guilds on Server'. You can find Dragongod Knightkings in there and hit 'Apply to guild'. Put your SA username in there and someone will invite you when they're online.

They added block for warriors a few months after launch. I believe in that same patch they also gave backstep to lancers (and buffed lancer damage). Instead of using mana, blocking/dodging uses a separate resource called 'resolve' for both classes. It drains as you hold block/perform a dodge, and regenerates whenever you attack - like mana, but at a faster rate.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

ttocs7 posted:

If you go to the alt menu, under 'social', go to 'Guilds -> Guilds on Server'. You can find Dragongod Knightkings in there and hit 'Apply to guild'. Put your SA username in there and someone will invite you when they're online.

Done! Thank you.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So an end game question. I just hit 60 for the first time, on my slayer. Where should I start getting my gear from? I was thinking Balder's Temple (Solo) and Nexus for MES stuff. Any suggestions? I don't have the ilvl to run most dungeons like Channelworks, Wonderholme, etc.

My slayer is on Tempest Reach, by the way. :shobon:

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
I think you can buy Tier 13 (14?) on the broker right off the bat.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

So an end game question. I just hit 60 for the first time, on my slayer. Where should I start getting my gear from? I was thinking Balder's Temple (Solo) and Nexus for MES stuff. Any suggestions? I don't have the ilvl to run most dungeons like Channelworks, Wonderholme, etc.

My slayer is on Tempest Reach, by the way. :shobon:

I would use the money you gained during leveling and buy yourself an abyss weapon and enchant that to +9. You can then do BT solo for t13 gear to start. I'm not sure if that point you'd have a high enough ilvl to queue for KG to get molten tokens to buy steadfast gear. If you're not, I think you could reach that level with some nexus gear enchanted to +6. Also at the same time, you can farm 1 cyasma token daily from the mobs in argonea and buy steadfast that way.

I think the way the devs distributed the gear this time around was kind of odd. It's much easier and simpler to get steadfast gear solo than it is to run WHNM. I think molten tokens and the cyasma should have only let you buy regent level items.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Just hit 25 on my Lancer (first character), and I'm wondering how it gets moving forward? I guess not just with the Lancer but other classes in general.. Are there any that stand out as entertaining to level / end game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
You get most of the key skills before level 30. Lancer is easier than other classes to level via dungeons because tank queues pop instantly. They can also mob grind if you exp boost.

They are a key class for harassing tanks in Corsair's Stronghold which is a decent way to level. At endgame they are a super OP PvP class but the execution requirement is fairly high.

You need to use Shield Barrage and Lockdown Blow well for movement and positioning (i.e. so your spring attack hits for back damage). Leash/Chain Leash is hard to aim but a game changer if you use it correctly. Alot of people don't have good movement and sticking power with a Lancer so they don't get much benefit from savage cruxes etc.

In PvE Lancer tanking is pretty fun with good DPS. Good DPS will be stealing aggro constantly with massive back crits so playing Lancer is very active. You do not sit passively and block. Its actually like a DPS class except you attack from the front and you use block to shorten your exposure to boss attacks and lessen the downtime between your own attacks.

You maintain threat by doing damage and when you lose aggro, you spike your threat up using threat generators like challenging shout and leash so you get aggro back.

If you do it right, you control boss movement or lock them in turning animations. Its alot harder to do this with good DPS on your team. If you have bad DPS players, you can hold aggro in your sleep.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 20, 2013

• Locked thread