Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is there any way to revert back to the previous iteration of the keyboard? Or can I get a decent keyboard layout from the play store? I hate how the new one got rid of tab, moved dash to the special characters page, moved the comma and period and put exclamation and question marks as always available, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Have you ever tried Swiftkey? It works across your devices now, no more separated Tablet and Phone versions, probably since it went Cloud based. Other than if you use "swype" like typing, it's the best keyboard on the face of the planet.

play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm looking for a pocketable Android tablet for the days that I don't feel like carrying a bag with me. Any recommendations?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Well the smallest Tablet worth anything is 7" as far as I know, which is the N7 and the like. Beyond that you're moving into the so-called Phablet range, which is meant to replace your phone (Samsung Note series in particular). You might, might, be able to get a 7" into a jeans pocket if you wear a large enough size/style, but otherwise you're really limited to larger phones or phablets.

Apr 7, 2003

DemonMage posted:

Well the smallest Tablet worth anything is 7" as far as I know, which is the N7 and the like. Beyond that you're moving into the so-called Phablet range, which is meant to replace your phone (Samsung Note series in particular). You might, might, be able to get a 7" into a jeans pocket if you wear a large enough size/style, but otherwise you're really limited to larger phones or phablets.

Which version of the Nexus 7 is more pocketable? There are some pretty good deals going on right now with the old Nexus 7.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

2012: 198.5×120×10.56 mm (7.81×4.72×0.42 in)
2013: 200×114×8.65 mm (7.87×4.49×0.34 in)

So now you can use the proper SA test of a cardboard cutout!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 2013 is noticeably narrower (due to reduced bezel thickness) and a little thinner so it's both easier to fit in a pocket and nicer to hold. The screen is also a lot nicer, especially for reading large amounts of text, thanks the drastically increased DPI.

I mostly wear outdoor/walking trousers with a cargo pocket and I can easily fit my 2013 in there even in a case.

I generally don't do that, but I can if I want to.

Apr 7, 2003

DemonMage posted:

So now you can use the proper SA test of a cardboard cutout!

I tried both these sizes and neither comes close to fitting in the pants I'm currently wearing. I may have to consider larger pants before I consider a smaller tablet. Thank you for your help!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tori CMOS posted:

I tried both these sizes and neither comes close to fitting in the pants I'm currently wearing. I may have to consider larger pants before I consider a smaller tablet. Thank you for your help!
Certainly it fits in your trenchcoat pocket? Worst-case you could slot it in your fedora.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Certainly it fits in your trenchcoat pocket? Worst-case you could slot it in your fedora.

There's no room next to the feather in the brim of the hat.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

frameset posted:

There's no room next to the feather in the brim of the hat.

Dual wield fedoras. One with a feather, one with an Android tablet.

Apr 7, 2003

Certainly it fits in your trenchcoat pocket?

I keep my sword there.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I noticed a couple reviews of the Tegra Note 7 popped up on my RSS feeds this morning:
http://www.androidcentral.com/tegra-note-7-review
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/12/nvidia-tegra-note-7-review/?ncid=rss_truncated
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/12/evga-tegra-note-7-review-affordable-tablet-lot-love-things-better/

Certainly some trade offs with the N7 2013, but definitely some upsides that could appeal to some.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 12, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tori CMOS posted:

I keep my sword there.
Belt scabbard. Either for the sword or tablet.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

My N7 fits in my back pocket, where I always throw it when I'm walking into work.

I know someday I'm going to forget and sit on it. It's going to be a very sad day.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

4.4 rollout for both generations of Nexus 7, and Nexus 10, begins now. Wifi only, that is, apparently if you have the LTE one get in line.

https://twitter.com/Android/status/400441100436918272

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sweet, I should be getting my Nexus 7 back in a couple days after getting it repaired.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DemonMage posted:

That's 3.314 cubic inches less displacement if you're scuba diving in a very tiny pool

I don't recommend getting your fedora wet, especially if it's suede

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Suede is for plebs. Has to be beaver felt.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

4.4 rollout for both generations of Nexus 7, and Nexus 10, begins now. Wifi only, that is, apparently if you have the LTE one get in line.

https://twitter.com/Android/status/400441100436918272

Just out of pure curiosity, why do the updates happen in waves, and not at once or something? I've never paid attention I guess, but why don't they allow people to plug their device into a computer and force start it or something?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Allows for a better downloading experience and most people don't care about waiting even a week or two. Those who do have plenty of options to force install it earlier. Also if a problem is discovered in the wild it'll effect less people.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Binge posted:

Just out of pure curiosity, why do the updates happen in waves, and not at once or something? I've never paid attention I guess, but why don't they allow people to plug their device into a computer and force start it or something?

If a major problem is discovered they can stop the update.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Someone got the OTA on Reddit and it looks like the launcher for Nexus 4/7/10 is JB launcher with the white icons of 4.4 No transparency at all. However, Nova Launcher can use the transparency API so it's not all that bad.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Someone got the OTA on Reddit and it looks like the launcher for Nexus 4/7/10 is JB launcher with the white icons of 4.4 No transparency at all. However, Nova Launcher can use the transparency API so it's not all that bad.
Has anyone put up the OTA links for impatient people to update over ADB?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it possible to just manually install the new launcher on the N7 2013?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not that I've noticed. I've been keeping an eye on the (unofficial) Nexus 7 G+ community, Droid Life, the Reddit thread I got those images, and Android Police.

No one's posted any links.

Super Dude posted:

Is it possible to just manually install the new launcher on the N7 2013?

I'm not sure. No one seems to have done this yet. However, it's confirmed by the guy on Reddit that got the OTA that Nova Launcher Beta does enable transparency just like on the Nexus 5. This proves that Google left the API for transparency in.

However, the Nexus 10 does NOT have transparency enabled as Google doesn't think it can handle it graphically.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

However, the Nexus 10 does NOT have transparency enabled as Google doesn't think it can handle it graphically.

Exactly what is so special about this transparency effect that puts it beyond the reach of the Nexus 10?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Exactly what is so special about this transparency effect that puts it beyond the reach of the Nexus 10?

I have no idea. Someone on XDA found it out by snooping around in 4.4's code after it was released that the Nexus 10 will have it disabled.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2510252

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Here is the update for the 2013 wifi N7.

http://android.clients.google.com/p...5R.3a3951e8.zip

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I love you.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yesssssssssss.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nexus 7 2013 multitouch keyboard issues are fixed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Windows 8.1 has apparently decided to no work with the Nexus 7 2013 drivers no matter what I do.

I've tried being in recovery and installing via adb sideload but it still refuses to locate the driver for the tablet.

Should I just do PDA net or something or am I stuck because Windows 8.1 is a douche?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Windows 8.1 has apparently decided to no work with the Nexus 7 2013 drivers no matter what I do.

I've tried being in recovery and installing via adb sideload but it still refuses to locate the driver for the tablet.

Should I just do PDA net or something or am I stuck because Windows 8.1 is a douche?

I manually installed it using "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and using the drivers found here http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I did the same thing as the above poster last night, but using Samsung Android phone drivers

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TheQat posted:

I did the same thing as the above poster last night, but using Samsung Android phone drivers

Those drivers i linked actually identify as Google (samsung) or some poo poo.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Don Lapre posted:

Nexus 7 2013 multitouch keyboard issues are fixed.

Fixed with 4.4 you mean?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SB35 posted:

Fixed with 4.4 you mean?

Correct

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've still got occasional phantom long-press issues with the previous updates on my 2013, I hope 4.4 gets rid of that poo poo once and for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was having a hell of a time even on Windows 7. Update your SDK or grab Don Lapre's link. When doing the driver install click the Have Disk prompt and literally point it to the .inf file. Windows refuses to find it even if you're pointing it right at the directory its in. I run into this when switching between my 4, 7 and 5. I think there's small differences between the drivers and Windows thinks they're similar enough to be fine.