Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

The 4.4 OTA for Nexus 7 (2012/2013) and Nexus 10 has started tonight.

It looks like someone on Reddit already got it and pretty much confirms that the GEL launcher will not be on 4, 7, or 10.

I wonder if you can just toss the extracted APKs (probably just the Launcher one at this rate?) from the N5 on any of these devices and be done with it. It was bugging out on 4.3 because some system file was not there, but I assume that file is there for any 4.4 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
As the son of a tech-illiterate mother with a 2012 Nexus 7, I'm so glad they're not putting a new launcher on there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

api call girl posted:

I wonder if you can just toss the extracted APKs (probably just the Launcher one at this rate?) from the N5 on any of these devices and be done with it. It was bugging out on 4.3 because some system file was not there, but I assume that file is there for any 4.4 image.

It looks like Nova Launcher does enable it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1qi43d/i_just_got_android_44_kitkat_on_my_nexus_7/cdd27yq

Not sure if just plopping the launcher and updated version of Google Search on will work or not.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Tunga posted:

Make sure you pick the larger (3x2) widget. There are two, one being just the quick button bar.

boy do I feel dumb

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Been using the Nexus 5 for a few days and my main complaint is the auto brightness. On my Nexus 4 I always felt it was way too dark. On the 5 it's the opposite and way too bright. It also changes too frequently. Like I'll be sitting down and reading an article and I can see it fluctuate several times before I finish reading. I just have to manually control them at all times.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Mu Zeta posted:

Been using the Nexus 5 for a few days and my main complaint is the auto brightness. On my Nexus 4 I always felt it was way too dark. On the 5 it's the opposite and way too bright. It also changes too frequently. Like I'll be sitting down and reading an article and I can see it fluctuate several times before I finish reading. I just have to manually control them at all times.

Same for me. Autobrightness is completely unpredictable. Hopefully it'll be bugfixed soon.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I got the Nokia charging pads, but I've never used wireless charging before. Should I see some indication that it's working? I get nothing. Might be a dud pad?

Edit: the pad has an led that will light up and the phone will report charging. It's probably not a dud. Check your cable.

OK. I checked my cable and I am apparently bad at plugging in power cables.

carticket fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 13, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Found out what the Exchange issue is with the Nexus 5:

quote:

Mark Whelan on Droid Life comments
Don't wish too much...I have the Nexus 5...it hasn't been getting a lot of press but they have a serious bug in their exchange client...causes sync loop and battery drain like no tomorrow on some handsets...on exchange 2010...has an issue if your company has a security policy...on exchange 2003, syncs, but issues marking items read on the server. ...ends up in sync loop after a few hours / stops syncing...

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=61785
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/PMOplIFLGAk%5B151-175-false%5D

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/1...ment-1120617993

Apologies for not finding this out before but, as I said, my job doesn't use Exchange or anything so...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It looks like someone on Reddit already got it and pretty much confirms that the GEL launcher will not be on 4, 7, or 10.

Side-loading the apk works just fine though - you don't even need root

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

Side-loading the apk works just fine though - you don't even need root

Really? Just GoogleHome.apk and not the Search or Google Play Services apk? Nice. Can you get a screenshot?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mu Zeta posted:

Try using Lux, works great for me

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&hl=en_GB

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Mr. Powers posted:

I got the Nokia charging pads, but I've never used wireless charging before. Should I see some indication that it's working? I get nothing. Might be a dud pad?

Edit: the pad has an led that will light up and the phone will report charging. It's probably not a dud. Check your cable.

OK. I checked my cable and I am apparently bad at plugging in power cables.

Is this guy schizo or am I not understanding what's going on?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Found out what the Exchange issue is with the Nexus 5:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/1...ment-1120617993

Apologies for not finding this out before but, as I said, my job doesn't use Exchange or anything so...

I'm not a fan of policy enforcement on a personal phone (remote wipe makes me nervous), considering the nature of that bug Touchdown is a worthy alternative.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Really? Just GoogleHome.apk and not the Search or Google Play Services apk? Nice. Can you get a screenshot?

Yeah actually it was actually three separate apks

PreBuiltGMSCore.apk
Velvet.apk
GoogleHome.apk

Everything seems to work fine, no weird wakelocks or anything like that

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So no one else's Nexus 5 is reporting 100% awake? I posted a screenshot earlier. It either says Exchange Services or Mediaserver is keeping the phone awake all of the time. But the battery drain I'm seeing doesn't seem as bad as you would expect 100% awake to be, in fact it's quite good more often than not.

Mine is identical to yours. Netflix seems to be the culprit though.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

friendly gentleman posted:

I know this is kind N5 chat right now but I'm in Verizon so I gotta interrupt.

I just picked up the LG G2 - coming from a Verizon GNex. My GNex was my first Android device so I really only know clean, stock, Android. I'm banking on an active dev community for the G2, should this be the case as it's close cousins with the N5?

Knock yourself out: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=vs980

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

I'm banking on an active dev community for the G2, should this be the case as it's close cousins with the N5?

The dev community basically laughs at non-Nexus LG devices. Also, someone would have to go through the trouble of ripping out the GSM radio parts of the N5 and placing in the CDMA binaries to make it play nice with Verizon. Your run-of-the-mill dev isn't going to be that capable.

That said, someone is cooking up Cyanogenmod 10.2 nightlies for it. Also VanirAOSP seems to be a promising ROM. No guarantee if those two will ever be as stable/functional as you want them to be.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

I just picked up the LG G2 - coming from a Verizon GNex. My GNex was my first Android device so I really only know clean, stock, Android. I'm banking on an active dev community for the G2, should this be the case as it's close cousins with the N5?

Throw a launcher on it and hide anything you cant disable. So far the stock stuff seems alright.

mfaley posted:

I've seen a few people post reviews of wireless chargers -- is there a defacto recommendation for those? I want to buy one for my home and one for my office.

I got the stupid "Ghost" One verizon sells. It works pretty good.

LG G2. Dont know what the hate was about. LGs interface is really not that bad if you're not one of those crazy pure android people. The rear buttons are actually really nice and the double tap screen on works just fine. Most of the review people (video) that "show it not working" right are simply tapping far to fast.

Camera is decent, Phones fast as gently caress, and I dont feel like its any more bloated than other branded devices. I'm a happy camper. Battery is pretty awesome too. Out of the box charge made it from 11am or so til 3am with 30% left. And thats after installing updates, apps, syncing 3 gmail accounts etc. And of course flipping the screen on and off because gently caress the screens pretty.

TL:DR G2 is great, If you dont mind touchwiz style interfaces.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Last night I got a couple texts from my mom, and this happened (Ignore the pea pod; I'm on my phone and didn't have a better way to obscure her number than Pixlr Express):
https://db.tt/eimBoRae

What would cause this? I told her I was getting duplicates from her but she didn't say if anything goofy was going on on her end.

drat it, shared the un-edited version :doh:

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 13, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Did you just put a pea pod on your screen to cover your moms number and then take a screenshot?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Now that'a a derp moment. haha

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Long Francesco posted:

Did you just put a pea pod on your screen to cover your moms number and then take a screenshot?

I think he did. He sure will feel silly when he realizes screenshots don't work like that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Long Francesco posted:

Nah, it's a sticker from Pixlr Express.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
That is loving priceless.

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
Any complaints about the battery life on the Nexus 5? In a side by side comparison with the Galaxy S4 the battery life has been highlighted by a couple of reviews.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Community involvement is still a relative unknown at this point. I do believe there are CM nightlies available already, so that's a good sign.

A lot of it depends on if LG did it right, or if we have another G2x on our hands.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yes, I hosed up, hahaha. Now, can we move past that and actually help me figure out what's going on with the repeated texts, please?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Also, someone would have to go through the trouble of ripping out the GSM radio parts of the N5 and placing in the CDMA binaries to make it play nice with Verizon.

The Nexus 5 has CDMA support already since it works on Sprint.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

Last night I got a couple texts from my mom, and this happened (Ignore the pea pod; I'm on my phone and didn't have a better way to obscure her number than Pixlr Express):
https://db.tt/eimBoRae

What would cause this? I told her I was getting duplicates from her but she didn't say if anything goofy was going on on her end.

drat it, shared the un-edited version :doh:

I blame it on being Spartans fans, unless you're talking about something other than college football.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Community involvement is still a relative unknown at this point. I do believe there are CM nightlies available already, so that's a good sign.

A lot of it depends on if LG did it right, or if we have another G2x on our hands.

CM builds might also not take advantage of some of the hardware stuff that gives the G2 it's great battery life, like that sweet screen refresh technology they left out of the N5 for some reason.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have had the duplicate text thing happen to me on T-Mobile with low signal.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

hooah posted:

Yes, I hosed up, hahaha. Now, can we move past that and actually help me figure out what's going on with the repeated texts, please?

It just happens, I don't think there's anything you can do about it. It happened to me last week and it went away after about a day.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

big mean giraffe posted:

I blame it on being Spartans fans, unless you're talking about something other than college football.

College basketball, actually.

Internet Explorer posted:

I have had the duplicate text thing happen to me on T-Mobile with low signal.

Long Francesco posted:

It just happens, I don't think there's anything you can do about it. It happened to me last week and it went away after about a day.

Ok, thanks. I just wanted to see if it was perhaps something CM had done.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN-zIbFk2JM

Moto G livestream (starts ~6 minutes) if you're interested. Should be interesting to see how they play it given they currently have non-existent carrier penetration in Europe.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN-zIbFk2JM

Moto G livestream (starts ~6 minutes) if you're interested. Should be interesting to see how they play it given they currently have non-existent carrier penetration in Europe.

I'm interested. Come on Moto, release a worthwhile phone for under $300 off contract.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Hendrik posted:

Any complaints about the battery life on the Nexus 5? In a side by side comparison with the Galaxy S4 the battery life has been highlighted by a couple of reviews.

Standby time is great for me. No wakelocks so far. That huge screen is guzzling battery juice though. The aggressive auto brightness does not help either. Still, I think I like it more than auto brightness on the N4 which was too dim most of the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Here's one tidbit out of the Moto G event.

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x-get-android-44-kitkat-matter-weeks

quote:

Motorola Mobility CEO Dennis Woodside at today's event said the Moto X can expect to be updated "in a matter of weeks." Nothing more specific than that, unfortunately. But for now, we'll take it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Holy crap, did I just see $179 off contract for the Moto G??

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
For the 8GB, yes. $199 for 16GB.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Is it just me or does the 'Pulse Notification Light' on the N5 gobble up half the battery? I turned it off and my battery life practically doubled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rusty! posted:

For the 8GB, yes. $199 for 16GB.

Holy poo poo. A phone manufacturer bucked the $50 "cost" for doubling the internal storage.

• Locked thread