Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Also, if anyone is looking for a bass 410 on a budget, the Fender Rumble 410 is surprisingly good. I was pretty impressed, and it's very small, which is nice if you're playing somewhere and don't want to lug around something huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Does anyone here recognize these speakers? They are 6" and currently in a Kingston branded 2x6 cabinet from the late 60s I think:

Google is not helping me.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I love the old Ampegs for bass. The V series sound better to me than the SVT, and with enough speakers they can easily keep up with a heavy band. An opened-up V4 through an old fridge is one of my absolute favorite bass sounds.

When I was playing in a metal band, I once had to use the guitarist's V2 through a homemade guitar cab, thanks to another band swiping the bass cab from our shared rehearsal space for a recording session. I literally couldn't believe how good it sounded, even with the bass on my amp all the way down to avoid speaker damage. That was probably one of the best sounding rehearsals we ever had, actually.

I killed my friend's VT22 by disconnecting the speaker and plugging in my bass cab, though it was with his full blessing, and probably would have happened if the amp had been pushed hard with guitar, too. It sounded real nice before it blew up. I should ask him if he ever got it fixed, or if it's still sitting in our old jam space.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I have to give the edge to my '72 SVT (blackline) over my '72-'74 V4B, but only narrowly. They're very similar. I heard that the preamp circuits were identical (save for the separate channel inputs on the SVT), but I haven't really looked into it. They're both incredible amps if you want "that sound".

Anyway, my V4 was always incredibly reliable, and aside from a handful of power tube replacements, it's been a real champ. It's also a heck of a lot less expensive to fully retube than an SVT. You can easily spend around four-hundred dollars to completely retube a SVT.

Honestly though, even though a V4B weighs about sixty pounds, it's a heck of a lot easier to carry than the ~85 pounds SVT because it's a little smaller. I fell down the stairs carrying my SVT and sprained my left ankle on my way to a show. I did that thing where you can't see the stairs and assume you're at the bottom, but nope. All of my weight, plus the weight of the amp came down on that ankle. The show was two hours away. I drive a stick. That was not a fun day.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

I have to give the edge to my '72 SVT (blackline) over my '72-'74 V4B, but only narrowly. They're very similar. I heard that the preamp circuits were identical (save for the separate channel inputs on the SVT), but I haven't really looked into it. They're both incredible amps if you want "that sound".

Anyway, my V4 was always incredibly reliable, and aside from a handful of power tube replacements, it's been a real champ. It's also a heck of a lot less expensive to fully retube than an SVT. You can easily spend around four-hundred dollars to completely retube a SVT.

Honestly though, even though a V4B weighs about sixty pounds, it's a heck of a lot easier to carry than the ~85 pounds SVT because it's a little smaller. I fell down the stairs carrying my SVT and sprained my left ankle on my way to a show. I did that thing where you can't see the stairs and assume you're at the bottom, but nope. All of my weight, plus the weight of the amp came down on that ankle. The show was two hours away. I drive a stick. That was not a fun day.

Yeah the handles on the SVT make it a little manageable. And I have seen/carried a SVT with a roadcase. :stare: ~115 pounds. And trying to put that untop of a fridge was so daunting.

I like SVTs but as jwh said, only really the older circuits. They seem to have more tone and less of the "BOOM" the new models have. Still in search of a complimenting cab for my v2 but honestly, I am not having a hard time keeping up with two half stacks.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Handen posted:

:c00lbert:

On the left, from bottom to top:

• Ampeg VT22.
• Pedal storage.
• Legend Model A 60 // '50s Bogen CHA33 P.A. amp converted for guitar.
• Legend Rock 'N' Roll 50 // Beer.
• Garnet Pro 200 Super // Some old tube voltmeter because it looks cool.
• Pignose 7-100 that I modded with a push-pull to cut the internal speaker when you want to line out into something else... In this case it's going into a 200w Sunn Concert Slave (and it hauls rear end) (holy poo poo is it ever nuts)
• At the top is an Ampeg System Selector to mix and match heads and cabs without the hassle of disconnecting each one every time.

On the right, bottom to top:

• Legend 4x12. Wood grain and cane grille match the Model A 60 (they came as a pair), but it doesn't quite match the grain or grille of the other two Legend heads.
• Sovtek 2x12 (shallow) loaded with early to mid '60s Pre-Rola Greenbacks ( :hellyeah: )
• Legend Super Lead 50.

Not seen:
• Marshall 2x12 JCM 900 Lead 1936 to the right of the 4x12.

I figured since this thread is called amplifier worship that I should get around to posting my shrine eventually.

I'm interested in the dumble into slave thing you have going on here. Would that work with any small combo and any slave/power amp? I've never really considered it before, but I love me some tiny tube amps that don't cut it at band volume. Do you run the cab out or the fx out into the slave or what?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
correct me if I am wrong but doesn't running a slave out bypass the power tube section which is where a good bit of the natural tube grit comes from?

thought about doing it as well but figured it would kind of take away the tube overdrive.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
A slave out doesn't bypass the high-power output. With every amp I've used it on it just lets you use two amps at once but with the preamp sound from one amp coming through your slave amp as well.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

the wizards beard posted:

A slave out doesn't bypass the high-power output. With every amp I've used it on it just lets you use two amps at once but with the preamp sound from one amp coming through your slave amp as well.

That is what I meant, say if Amp A is all tubes and you do the slave out (preamp out/ext amp out) then you will only be getting the preamp tone of AMP A into AMP B. However the power output of AMP A, the power tubes, will not effect AMP B therefore if AMP B doesnt have power tubes, you will not get that natural break up.

Once again, this is all theory from me, and I could be completely wrong. I would actually like to know for certain because I have been debating buying a slave for my v4.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Smash it Smash hit posted:

That is what I meant, say if Amp A is all tubes and you do the slave out (preamp out/ext amp out) then you will only be getting the preamp tone of AMP A into AMP B. However the power output of AMP A, the power tubes, will not effect AMP B therefore if AMP B doesnt have power tubes, you will not get that natural break up.

Once again, this is all theory from me, and I could be completely wrong. I would actually like to know for certain because I have been debating buying a slave for my v4.

Yep, that's usually how it works. A tube power amp doesn't always sound "better" though, if you play bass or down-tuned guitar a high-powered SS slave amp can do a really nice job of reinforcing the low end.

Why use a slave amp with a V4? Is it not loud enough(!) or do you want to run more cabs(again,!!!)?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

the wizards beard posted:

Yep, that's usually how it works. A tube power amp doesn't always sound "better" though, if you play bass or down-tuned guitar a high-powered SS slave amp can do a really nice job of reinforcing the low end.

Why use a slave amp with a V4? Is it not loud enough(!) or do you want to run more cabs(again,!!!)?

It is for bass, it keeps up well enough. I love the tone so much that I cant make the push for a SVT's BOOM.

but always wanna run more cabs. :guitar:

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^
Trip report: Ampeg GVT52

Amp came in yesterday and I spent a bit of time tweaking the EQ to my liking. The Baxandall EQ is different to deal with, but really flexible as far as tone shaping is concerned compared to standard EQs. As far as the amp itself, I'm really digging the cleans on it. They have almost a blackface quality to them. The gain channel is ok, but I'll stick to pedals for that. I haven't run into any issues that I've read about regarding the output of the different channels being different. Those might be isolated cases. Or it could develop later, who knows.

I'm running the ampeg stereo with my princeton reverb and it's a good combo.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend picking one up if you're in the market for a value amp.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have two amps, a vintage 17w bass amp with a 15" celestion and a Blackstar HT-1R. The latter sounds better in terms of tone, clarity and so on but the former sounds 'bigger'. I am considering buying or building an extension cabinet for my HT-1, since the volume is fine but it just doesn't seem to be able to move as much air.

Am I barking up the right tree?

Should I go for 1x12, 2x10 or 2x12? Is there any objective difference or just incrementally 'bigger' sound?

Lastly, do I understand correctly that realistically cab-wattage isn't going to make a huge difference in dB level (at least in the terms we're speaking of here)?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I have two amps, a vintage 17w bass amp with a 15" celestion and a Blackstar HT-1R. The latter sounds better in terms of tone, clarity and so on but the former sounds 'bigger'. I am considering buying or building an extension cabinet for my HT-1, since the volume is fine but it just doesn't seem to be able to move as much air.

Am I barking up the right tree?

Should I go for 1x12, 2x10 or 2x12? Is there any objective difference or just incrementally 'bigger' sound?

Lastly, do I understand correctly that realistically cab-wattage isn't going to make a huge difference in dB level (at least in the terms we're speaking of here)?

I own a HT-1R and sometimes play it through a 1x12 extension cab and it sounds much, much bigger. Don't have much else to compare it to at the moment though.

It would be pretty easy for you to add a jack to the back of your bass combo to use it as an extension cab, if you're so inclined.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

You mean like the power handling the speakers are rated at? If so, then no. That's more about how much output they can handle before breakup.

"Loudness" is measured as sensitivity, which is usually measured at 1 watt input 1 meter from the speaker, but that's a huge oversimplification. Most guitar speakers will be in the 95-105dB range.

The advantage of plugging a tiny combo into a 1x12 or whatever cab is you get a wider frequency range, which is why the 15" speaker in your bass amp sounds bigger.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

field balm posted:

It would be pretty easy for you to add a jack to the back of your bass combo to use it as an extension cab, if you're so inclined.

I did attempt this, but failed and I'm reluctant to mess too much since it's just on long-term loan to me.

comes along bort posted:

...you get a wider frequency range, which is why the 15" speaker in your bass amp sounds bigger...

I figured it would be something along those lines, I'm glad I'm at least pointing in the right direction

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Stopped by a local store. Buddy working there can get me basically a Peavey Blues 115/210/Classic 30 for 450 bucks. Both sound really good. Reverb sounded awesome. Tremelo was nice as well.

Only downside is shared EQ and no master volume. However, not a deal breaker. My question...

What is controllable by the foot pedal? Just the channel change or is the reverb and/or tremolo turned on/off by the pedal?

If I put an extension cab on it does it turn off the internal speakers?

Would anyone recommend the 115 over the 210?

I have a ValveKing foot pedal. Would it work on any of these amps? Two button with a stereo type input on the end. On the VK one button changes channels and the other turns on/off Brightness.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Stopped by a local store. Buddy working there can get me basically a Peavey Blues 115/210/Classic 30 for 450 bucks. Both sound really good. Reverb sounded awesome. Tremelo was nice as well.

Only downside is shared EQ and no master volume. However, not a deal breaker. My question...

What is controllable by the foot pedal? Just the channel change or is the reverb and/or tremolo turned on/off by the pedal?

If I put an extension cab on it does it turn off the internal speakers?

Would anyone recommend the 115 over the 210?

I have a ValveKing foot pedal. Would it work on any of these amps? Two button with a stereo type input on the end. On the VK one button changes channels and the other turns on/off Brightness.

I am not sure on that particular amp but I have definitely seen peavey foot switches with reverb options. A quick google shows a two button switch "channel" and "effects".

An extension can does not turn off external drivers but make sure it matches drivers in amp. ie if its two tens wired to 8 ohm make sure the extension can is 8ohm.

Speaker size all depends on what you are playing and what you dig. 210 and 115 is not vastly different paper space and guessing they are same quality speakers, there shouldn't be a huge difference.

15s tend to have a "rounder" sound and 10s tend to have a tighter sound and quicker attack.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The main thing I remember from the 1x12 Classic 30 I had was how bad the tubes rattled when playing. I had to buy some after market part off ebay(Tube tamer I think it was called) to get it under control. Not sure if the 2x10 has that problem.

Great sounding amp though.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Final Question:

You guys think a 22watt amp is pretty usable in a bar/pub setting?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Final Question:

Depends on how loud your drummer is and how much clean headroom you require.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Final Question:

Tube probably solid state no.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Final Question:

You mean the Deluxe Reverb? It's pretty loud. The speaker out is at 8ohms so you can always get a good 2x12 for a bit more volume if you need too.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
drat. Was thinking of a Fender Super Sonic 22, but my drummer gets pretty loud and my bassist uses a heft Ampeg rig.

Back to looking at a Hot Rod 210 or the Blues Deluxe. Maybe a Peavey Blues whatever 210 as well.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

drat. Was thinking of a Fender Super Sonic 22, but my drummer gets pretty loud and my bassist uses a heft Ampeg rig.

Back to looking at a Hot Rod 210 or the Blues Deluxe. Maybe a Peavey Blues whatever 210 as well.

I sent you a PM, but goddammit, you need a big silverface Fender. I swear to god, if you don't get one, I'm going to have to find one and mail it to you.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

I sent you a PM, but goddammit, you need a big silverface Fender. I swear to god, if you don't get one, I'm going to have to find one and mail it to you.

There are a couple on eBay for a good price, good wattage, etc. Only hang up is lack of a gain channel, but I may just suck it up and do it.

It's that or a Super Sonic. :P

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

There are a couple on eBay for a good price, good wattage, etc. Only hang up is lack of a gain channel, but I may just suck it up and do it.

It's that or a Super Sonic. :P

Maybe get the 60w Super Sonic? I heard a guy gig with one once and his tone was great.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Iucounu posted:

Maybe get the 60w Super Sonic? I heard a guy gig with one once and his tone was great.

Keep in mind that the 60 watt is based on the Bassman/Vibrolux, while the 22W is based on the Deluxe Reverb. The store I used to work at as a mint 60W head for CHEEEEAAAAPPPP. No reverb though.

If anyone needs a hookup new or used, I'm your boy. One of the perks of working as a buyer for a music chain is that you can change prices very easily :).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Is the reverb busted?

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I just bought a used Vox Lil' Night Train as a practice amp (with a Yorkville 1x12 cab).

The guy who owned it before me also bought it used. He didn't play it much, and didn't know much about it. Needless to say, it sounds a LOT better than a showroom one I've played. Most of this I can probably account for with the cab, which is much better than the stock cab that usually comes with this.

HOWEVER - I opened the thing up today and it's definitely been modded from original. One of the capacitors has been cut, which appears to be the 'bright' cap. I'm okay with this, these amps are known to be a little too bright.
He also changed the tubes, but for some reason or another he's switched the 12au7 to V2(pre-amp/phase-inverter), and a 12ax7 to V3 (power amp). This sounds great, but is it safe to have a 12AX7 in place of a 12AU7 for the power amp section? This thing only pushes 2 watts (actually 1.5 since my cab is 8 ohm).

Spagghentleman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 20, 2013

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is the reverb busted?

The 60 watt head does not have reverb built in for some reason.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Grapist posted:

The 60 watt head does not have reverb built in for some reason.

Makes the head lighter, reduces the cost.

The SuperSonic is probably my favorite current production amp that isn't some boutique nonsense and I wholeheartedly endorse its usage.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Anyone you recommend in particular?

I played a 100 watt Super Sonic Twin today. Sounded great but drat is 100 watts too much for me. Haven't found a 60 watt in the wild. Liked the Super Sonic Twin because the clean channel had a gain knob that dirtied it just enough.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I've never tried the Twin; I'm sure it's fine. I prefer the 60 watt version; if I'm going to get a versatile amp, it might as well have the clean headroom. I've found the 60-watt version at Guitar Center, but they may be phasing it out of the in-store to move more 100 watt combos.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The Super Sonic is probably the one really good new-ish amp Fender's making these days, though it seems like they're kinda going after the older Mesa Mark series crowd with it (except Fender still can't do high gain for poo poo). I saw Primus last year and Larry LaLonde was using them, and his tone was pretty good.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
So i'm having some issues with my Dual Terror. The AC power light is coming on and there is a faint hiss coming from the cab, but absolutely no signal is getting through the amp from the guitar regardless of which channel its on, power settings and number of power tubes activated.

Being somewhat new to tube amp maintenance, i've replaced the all the power tubes in the hopes that maybe one of them had gone bung... No result. Next thing on my list is to swap out the preamp tubes one by one to see if the problem lies there. After this though im out of ideas, and it doesnt look like there is an amplifier tech near me that i could drop it into. Anyone know of anything else i should be looking at if replacing preamp tubes doesn't fix it? (hopefully ones that dont involve more than using a soldering iron or a multimeter, else im poo poo out of luck i guess)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Possibly the fuses. This happened to my ValveKing a bunch.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
Nah not fuses, they all look good, no burn marks or broken wire in any of them (i checked the two on the pcb aswell). I hope i can get it fixed before it becomes an excuse to get a new amp, the Hughes & Kettner TM36 heads look tasty as hell but my wallet will not thank me for it at all.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Sven posted:

Nah not fuses, they all look good, no burn marks or broken wire in any of them (i checked the two on the pcb aswell). I hope i can get it fixed before it becomes an excuse to get a new amp, the Hughes & Kettner TM36 heads look tasty as hell but my wallet will not thank me for it at all.

sorry if this is an insult to your intelligence but have you tried various cables? instrument and speaker.

second try looking at the efx loop series. I am not familiar with the dual terror but I ha a friend work on his buddies Dual rect and turns out the efx loop knob was turned down. (as if those things don't have enough knobs), I have also heard some new Amps having switches to activate them and maybe that could be on?

if this doesn't help get just one working preamp that can go in each section and replace them one by one and see what's up. don't bother buying a whole set since those rarely do go bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

comes along bort posted:

The Super Sonic is probably the one really good new-ish amp Fender's making these days, though it seems like they're kinda going after the older Mesa Mark series crowd with it (except Fender still can't do high gain for poo poo). I saw Primus last year and Larry LaLonde was using them, and his tone was pretty good.

I don't think the Super Sonic can do metal on its own but I can get a pretty tight gain structure using an 808 and an EQ pedal. Probably not enough for anything much gainier than NWOBHM or early thrash, but eh, you take what you can get. Throw a Satchurator in there, though, and I think you might be able to cover all but the djentiest or goregrindiest bases. But if you were playing those styles you probably wouldn't have a Fender anyways. :shrug: