Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Miijhal posted:

It's Harvest Moon with gay marriage, multiplayer, and it lets me live my dream of owning a BEE AND MEAT farm. I'm totally sold.

You can specialize in artisan products and I'm not sorry about loving that.

Do we know if you'll be able to expand into processing dairy; i.e. making cheese and butter from the milk your cows produce? I tried to look that up on the site but none of the dev updates so far go into much detail about the dairy farming gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I stumbled upon another PC harvest moon-like game; Farm Hands: http://www.freelangames.net/2012/09/farm-hands.html

The original thread detailing its development is dead, but this site managed to salvage the game. Its blatently harvest moon with 1-4 player cooperative using a direct IP link. You need an instance open to act as the server. Unfortunately its mechanically most like the original harvest moon; aka, no inventory and single tool holding. Not much else to write home about but maybe worth checking out.

Actually it does have inventory function, its just that you have to buy the rucksack. From what I can see in the shop, it might have a surprising amount of depth to it, including cooking. No animals from what I see. Has a lot of the same tools as HM, but also features a metal detector, and a radiocarbon detector.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 12, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 14, 2017

Midrena
May 2, 2009
The marriage candidates look great. For the girls, I like Penny a lot (her story just tugs at my heartstrings), Leah, and Maru -- though that bit of hair over Maru's shoulder makes it look like she's got a brilliant little beard (I guess she's a fantasy dwarf female...).

Elliott, Harvey, and Sam are my favorites on the guy side. Elliot sounds sweet, I'm a sucker for sad stories (Harvey), and Sam looks like a really fun guy!

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
You know I've never realised how much those characters look like the RPG Maker 2000 character sprites before seeing them zoomed like that. I must have stared at those things so much when I was younger, I think it's the heads. I hope that wont weird me out when playing. :ohdear:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, this game, I had kinda put a bookmark on, but kinda forgot about until now.

A shame about the deadline, but that's just how these projects are, part art, part programming, part story and a big part of putting it all together tends to throw even the best developers in the busniess off the scheduled path.

Still looks good, looking forward to hearing about more progress coming down the line.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like how a lot of the candidates have more than one defining characteristic, since Harvest Moon marriage potential usually boiled down to stuff like "likes animals" or "likes drinking."

Delay makes sense to me, and I'd definitely rather wait for it to be polished than for it to be rushed out incomplete. Looks like a ton of work with all the various components to it, and I hope it doesn't burn the guy out too bad.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ape is probably working on this part time too, unless his publisher gave him an advance or something. He could probably kickstart the game but at this point, since it's already greenlit he's pretty much guaranteed to make mad cash once it comes out. This kind of game tends to attract a lot of people.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ape is probably working on this part time too, unless his publisher gave him an advance or something. He could probably kickstart the game but at this point, since it's already greenlit he's pretty much guaranteed to make mad cash once it comes out. This kind of game tends to attract a lot of people.

Well, since it's delayed until next year, and I'm thinking of starting let's plays, anyone interested in a multiplayer let's play of this?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

J.A.B.C. posted:

Well, since it's delayed until next year, and I'm thinking of starting let's plays, anyone interested in a multiplayer let's play of this?

Interested as in watch or interested as in participate in? 'Cause if I can't convince any of my friends to get into this game (they're all either not gamers or more into shooters than farming sims) I'd love to get together with some people in the thread to play a multiplayer game.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Interested as in watch or interested as in participate in? 'Cause if I can't convince any of my friends to get into this game (they're all either not gamers or more into shooters than farming sims) I'd love to get together with some people in the thread to play a multiplayer game.

Playing, ideally. Though I'm not sure how many people it can handle (I imagine four), it'd be fun to start up a multiplayer farm and see what each person decides to get rich doing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna gaymarry them all :sparkles:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ew, don't gaymarry the goon

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
How'd you like me to plow your field? :heysexy:

Can you even marry other player characters? I vaguely remember that being a thing. Would you even want to, though? That sounds like the most boring option available because you'd miss out on all these story arcs!
Speaking of which I really hope the story of the game is interesting. It has set up neat character arcs for all the characters, but whether they actually pan out depends entirely on ConcernedApe's writing ability, of which we haven't seen any examples yet. I'm cautiously optimistic, though.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 13, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

How'd you like me to plow your field? :heysexy:

Can you even marry other player characters? I vaguely remember that being a thing. Would you even want to, though? That sounds like the most boring option available because you'd miss out on all these story arcs!
Speaking of which I really hope the story of the game is interesting. It has set up neat character arcs for all the characters, but whether they actually pan out depends entirely on ConcernedApe's writing ability, of which we haven't seen any examples yet. I'm cautiously optimistic, though.

Burly men in suspenders is going to be the thing around here when this game comes out.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 14, 2017

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Demiurge4 posted:

Burly men in suspenders is going to be the thing around here when this game comes out.

That's what this game is missing: a swarthy lumberjack bachelor with a brutish demeanor and a beard you could lose small pets in. So far half the bachelors are a bunch of weedy little neeeeerds. A little variety on the other end of the spectrum is all I'm asking for, Stardew Valley. I'm a very choosy person. :colbert:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
You know what would be really awesome for this game? Make it moddable, with player-made NPCs. Then you could create your own dateable NPCs, with full scripted cutscenes. Sure, you'd have really weird crap like Ponies, but good could come of it as well.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 14, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'll have to enjoy this innocent, charming game before seeing the horrifying wretched mods that are created :ohdear:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
The game seems to be low-key enough that it might avoid the depravity of some modding communities (lookin' at you, german oblivion mods). It's on greenlight, so integration with steam workshop might be a good way to go about modding.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Do you realise what you are asking for? Customisable waifus and husbandos???

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
There is only so much people can work with sprites, at least.

Depending on how easy it is to mod, though, for all the weird stuff you could have cool stuff like a entire retrofit mod that makes a entire new town or quality stuff like that. And horribly written self-inserts and "clever" Harvest Moon remakes, but.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm excited for this but I'm plenty comfortable waiting on it. I feel like the last few Harvest Moon games have burnt me out before I could get a year of gametime in.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Avocados posted:

I'll have to enjoy this innocent, charming game before seeing the horrifying wretched mods that are created :ohdear:

Just think, we can have another mod-stravaganza on the SA front page!

Spaceking posted:

The game seems to be low-key enough that it might avoid the depravity of some modding communities (lookin' at you, german oblivion mods). It's on greenlight, so integration with steam workshop might be a good way to go about modding.

Though it sounds cool, I don't think it'll happen. Workshop is still a limited affair on Steam, and though it's popular it will be a while before they start showing support for smaller titles like this. If a mod community comes up, I imagine it being fairly small, maybe ModDB at best.

I mean, I'd like Workshop or Nexus support, but the size doesn't justify it. At least we'll have the thread here to help sift through the crap mods to find the good ones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Workshop is still a limited affair on Steam, and though it's popular it will be a while before they start showing support for smaller titles like this.

Dungeons of Dredmor and Don't Starve both have Workshop support. I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Haven't been able to play a Harvest Moon game since 64 sadly, really liking the look of this.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
With all this talk of strange mods, all I can imagine is Harvest Cthulhu, but more likely is Twilight Factory, or 50 shades of Crossing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Not a lot of characters to be honest, but it must be hard to come up with good, well written personalities. Rune Factory 3 had probably the most entertaining cast ever (couldnt play 4 yet!), so the selection feels a bit shallow, but I'm still excited for this game.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor and Don't Starve both have Workshop support. I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Also defender's quest, which is probably smaller than stardew by a wide margin.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

senae posted:

Also defender's quest, which is probably smaller than stardew by a wide margin.

And I retract my earlier statement. A beacon of hope yet shines.

Though it won't stop the pony mods. Nothing can stop the pony mods...

Also, I would play the heck out of a Harvest Moon: Innsmouth. Just saying.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 14, 2017

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

LordSloth posted:

With all this talk of strange mods, all I can imagine is Harvest Cthulhu, but more likely is Twilight Factory, or 50 shades of Crossing.

There is a sick part of me that wants to add the Twilight characters to the game. I think it would be pretty fun trying to date Bella and putting up with her poo poo.

(Shut up my mom is a big Twilight fan so I have absorbed a lot of it through her)

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I've always found the villagers to be at some level of pure insanity, particularly in the Rune Factory series. First game has Mana, who I was convinced was some demonchild the entire town was afraid of (everyone you talk to about her declines to comment and seems afraid), and that chick on the beach who talks to a giant inter-dimensional shell. 2 had its share of nutters, but Oceans cranked up the meter a little bit as well.

Still, every character's madness pales in comparison to Shepard's Crossing where one of the first characters you meet tries to sell you frogs and snakes, then murders your livestock and hands you the carcass.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, I would play the heck out of a Harvest Moon: Innsmouth. Just saying.

Now that would be fun. Or even just if there was some 'Hot Fuzz' style evil cult overshadowing the town.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Every time I remember this game exists I am consistently amazed how a single person can make such a competent entry into the Harvest Moon series (which looks to rival or even surpass HM64/BTN at this rate) when Natsume has been pumping out complete poo poo for over a decade.

Yes, I'm mad about farming :argh:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
New dev log: http://stardewvalley.net/dev-update-13/

Nothing too exciting, unfortunately. We do get some cool wintery images at least.

It also looks like Concernedape's been working of character portraits some more. Compare Haley in that last screenshot to this older image:

I like it. Much more detailed and she looks a lot more... fancy now. A bit older-looking, too.

I hope Concernedape works on the NPC sprites themselves, too. Their really stiff stance contrasts a little too much with the player character's more relaxed posture. The different perspective of the NPC's is really jarring, too. Notice in the second image how Haley's feet line up on a single plane while the player character's feet are offset a little bit. It looks bad, is what I'm saying.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

I hope Concernedape works on the NPC sprites themselves, too. Their really stiff stance contrasts a little too much with the player character's more relaxed posture. The different perspective of the NPC's is really jarring, too. Notice in the second image how Haley's feet line up on a single plane while the player character's feet are offset a little bit. It looks bad, is what I'm saying.

drat, those look pretty good. I'm not too crazy about the sprites either though.

dijon du jour posted:

That's what this game is missing: a swarthy lumberjack bachelor with a brutish demeanor and a beard you could lose small pets in. So far half the bachelors are a bunch of weedy little neeeeerds. A little variety on the other end of the spectrum is all I'm asking for, Stardew Valley. I'm a very choosy person. :colbert:

Seconding this. HM was all about kids and teens, let's date some grown ups already. Maybe some guys who aren't damaged goods waiting to be rescued would be nice.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just let me play this! :negative:

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
All the romance partners are white people and 1 slightly tan white person...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Trainmonk posted:

All the romance partners are white people and 1 slightly tan white person...
It does sound like an American version of that game where you date disabled girls, except it's their mental health instead of their being deaf or whatever. Not everyone needs to have capital-p Problems to be interesting characters and even reading those descriptions feels a little predatory.