Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Did anyone else get the Naishou Province book? I did, and I'm digging it so far (have had no time to read lately), but it seems to have been a totally under-the-radar release, even by L5R standards.

[Edit to add more content because top-of-page:] The setup is my favorite part so far, because it's so PC ready: the province was/is an out-of-the-way afterthought in the Phoenix's hands, but their governor recently died after they took most of their troops elsewhere. The Crane swoop in to take over a poorly-administered province, the the Scorpion show up with what they claim is the Phoenix governor's illegitimate child, and then the Lion show up all "hey, free war, all right!" So now it's a clusterfuck where a bunch of Great Clans each have a shaky claim to the land, but it's a low priority, but HONOR YOU GUYS, and ronin and jizamurai are getting drawn in like flies to honey. Enter: the PCs, to gently caress everything up.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Wasn't IH2 supposed to be a physical copy only release?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Who knows, Cirno. Not like AEG is any good at communicating these things.

I theoretically have a copy of the Naishou Province book waiting for me at the FLGS, I was going to pick it up this afternoon.

Edit: Apparently not, since it went up with Naishou Province today.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 26, 2013

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wasn't IH2 supposed to be a physical copy only release?

Nope. It was also supposed to be digital.

I should know; I sent Drive Thru the files personally over a month ago. I honestly have no idea what the hold up is.

Edit: Seems that it just went up today: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/120989/Legend-of-the-Five-Rings-Imperial-Histories-2 ...Yay?

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 27, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Man I guess that with you here any baseless speculation on my part is meaningless, huh, Spookyelectric!

(And I do have some speculations!)

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
If it makes you feel any better, I can only shed some light on the stuff I'm involved with... which admittedly isn't very much.

AEG does need to step up their RPG promotions, though. No argument there. It took a long time to even get updates on the main page whenever a new book came out. Hopefully their new Community Organizer will help with that.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Ha.

My big speculation right now is that, after we see Secrets, Book of Water, Book of Void, and the Allies thing, we're likely to be seeing a new edition.

4e is pretty saturated and with Hobart taking over from Carman due to "workload" at this stage in the game there's an implication that there's some work that's being a load...but it's 100% speculation.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope they don't do a new edition so soon, I really think they got it right with 4th.

I do think you're right about saturation, but that works against a 5th edition too. I don't know that I'd want to buy any of the same stuff again for a 5th edition, so they'd either have to completely reboot the setting or system to get me interested.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Content saturation was when they went to 4e, too. The problem is, you can only continue to sell additional product to a subset of the people who bought the earlier stuff, and every additional book you release makes it harder to sell to newcomers, who see (if anything) either an intimidating wall of content, or a core book and a bunch of unavailable/out of print earlier sourcebooks.

As far as buying the same stuff goes...let's face it, we've been doing that since first edition.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Haha lookit me bein' wrong, the Naked Steel column on RPGnet reveals plans for Sword & Fan, the next book to follow the Elements books, covering warfare in Rokugan, both military and social.

I have never been happier to be wrong.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Quick rules question: if you cast Mists of Fear (instantaneous duration, causes a Fear 5 effect) on someone, do they take the -5k0 for the rest of the encounter? Or do they just get real scared for a couple seconds and maybe flee if they fail catastrophically with no other effect?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Quick rules question: if you cast Mists of Fear (instantaneous duration, causes a Fear 5 effect) on someone, do they take the -5k0 for the rest of the encounter? Or do they just get real scared for a couple seconds and maybe flee if they fail catastrophically with no other effect?
It's for the rest of the encounter or until the source of the effect (ie, the maho-tsukai who's casting the spell) is removed.

Along those lines, if people are interested I have some average values of XkY pulled from here. It's available in Google Drive form and .xlsx form. (With these my group found that rolling a 44 on 2k2 is about five standard deviations from the mean. Too bad that got wasted on the Antisocial Hiruma's comedy shenanigans.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NGDBSS posted:

It's for the rest of the encounter or until the source of the effect (ie, the maho-tsukai who's casting the spell) is removed.
Yeah, that's what I thought. my (now ex)-GM said the spell was the source, and thus it doesn't produce any penalty, just maybe making the guy flee if he fails by enough and has the ability to flee and is the type to flee. :geno:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. my (now ex)-GM said the spell was the source, and thus it doesn't produce any penalty, just maybe making the guy flee if he fails by enough and has the ability to flee and is the type to flee. :geno:
Hmm, looking further at things that duration of Instantaneous seems to be a misprint or deliberate. There's another spell (Your Heart's Enemy, Air 3, Core) which also inflicts Fear on a single target, but in this case it has a duration of five rounds and inflicts Fear 4. Mists of Fear inflicts Fear 5, but with raises the Fear strength can increase; Your Heart's Enemy (not a maho spell) has no such provision.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NGDBSS posted:

Hmm, looking further at things that duration of Instantaneous seems to be a misprint or deliberate. There's another spell (Your Heart's Enemy, Air 3, Core) which also inflicts Fear on a single target, but in this case it has a duration of five rounds and inflicts Fear 4. Mists of Fear inflicts Fear 5, but with raises the Fear strength can increase; Your Heart's Enemy (not a maho spell) has no such provision.
It would have to be either a misprint, or intended to work as previously stated with the source of fear being the maho-tsukai. Otherwise the spell would have no effect at all beyond making you jump slightly for a half second, which is a pretty piss-poor use of 6 wounds, 0.2 taint, an air slot, and at least one complex action.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

It would have to be either a misprint, or intended to work as previously stated with the source of fear being the maho-tsukai. Otherwise the spell would have no effect at all beyond making you jump slightly for a half second, which is a pretty piss-poor use of 6 wounds, 0.2 taint, an air slot, and at least one complex action.

Knowing Hobart, if a reading would make a maho spell worse than an equivalent non-maho spell, the reading is wrong. His motto is basically "evil cheats".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, Secrets of the Empire is out. I didn't even know, but I ran across it and picked it up. It's essentially the "smaller factions" book - the minor clans, imperial families, monastic temples, and ronin. However, it also mashes in the spirit realm details in there, to make the book just a little bit more random. It has new mechanical bits for the smaller factions as well.

If anybody has questions, ask away, but I've only really just cracked it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is it a paperback or is the product description on amazon messed up?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So, Secrets of the Empire is out. I didn't even know, but I ran across it and picked it up. It's essentially the "smaller factions" book - the minor clans, imperial families, monastic temples, and ronin. However, it also mashes in the spirit realm details in there, to make the book just a little bit more random. It has new mechanical bits for the smaller factions as well.

If anybody has questions, ask away, but I've only really just cracked it.

Anything new for Fox, if, for example, you wanted a game before they joined Mantis?

How do the Ronin sections integrate with the Enemies of the Empire stuff on Ronin?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Swagger Dagger posted:

Is it a paperback or is the product description on amazon messed up?

The copy I have is a hardback.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Anything new for Fox, if, for example, you wanted a game before they joined Mantis?

The Fox aren't in it. (So much for timeline neutrality, I suppose.) The minor clans included are Badger, Bat, Boar, Dragonfly, Hare, Monkey, Oriole, Ox, Sparrow, and Tortoise.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

How do the Ronin sections integrate with the Enemies of the Empire stuff on Ronin?

It's mainly background stuff and a few paths, so there really isn't overlap (on account of EotE being mostly mechanical stuff and a little bit of background).

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
There's a softcover Naishou Province tie-in book that's also labelled Secrets of the Empire that came out earlier.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

There's a softcover Naishou Province tie-in book that's also labelled Secrets of the Empire that came out earlier.
From what I understand, it was supposed to be a chapter in Secrets or a WE or something, but kept getting bigger until they just decided to make it a stand-alone book. I gave my take on it at the top of the page, and stand by it - solid setting book, great potential, fun adventure, bit sketchy on the details but whaddya want it's a softcover.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Exactly what I got with it, in fact. Sketchy details are fine--great, in fact, because it gives me room to add in what I need to run with it for my own group.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
What does everyone think of the new book that just came out, and why haven't we ever done a maptools game before?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I like it for fleshing out clans that haven't gotten much face time, like the Oriole or Ox - in fact, this is the first book where I thought the Ox were even remotely interesting. On the other hand, it doesn't have anything on "old" minor clans like the Falcon or Wasp, and I'd rather have given up the Spirit Realm information (which feels shoved in to just make the book a miscellany, and really could use its own book instead) to have even just short sections on them. Yes, they've been written up before, but Way of the Minor Clans is woefully out of date in how Rokugan is treated as a setting.

Overall it's pretty positive, though I admit I haven't looked though all of the mechanical material, I had mixed feelings about some of it. I like that the Sun Tao techniques are back, but am puzzled that their initial skill bonus can't be applied to battle. There are some monastic orders that are interesting but probably not that PCish, like one with a technique where they can't be forced to give up a secret, and that's all, or another that can't ever make an attack without losing their ability to do kihos, but gets bonuses on recovering from wounds with void points (and some artistic or performance bonus). There are others that are more viable, like an Ox vigilante path, and the Oriole expanded smithing rules that feel like they should have been in all along (having special swords that aren't nemuranai, or rules for PCs making clan weapons).

(Also, why would you need maptools for L5R?)

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 9, 2013

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Well its more of a live game then a play by post, also there is a framework for L5R in maptools. You could also use maptools to show pretty pictures and set a theme for an area or encounter with all the amazing L5R art out there.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I've got Secrets of the Empire arriving soon, so I'm looking forward to it.

quote:

another that can't ever make an attack without losing their ability to do kihos

What? ;psyduck: What's the context for it?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Fair enough! There is a lot of good L5R art around for some reason.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Well AEG spends a lot on ccg because good art there sell a crap ton of cards and most of the artist put out that art on their own website as part of their portfolio and us fans get to use it for our games so its a win for everyone.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I'm one of the writers for that book, and I also did the layout and graphic design. I got to write the sections for my three favorite Minor Clans (Sparrow, Dragonfly, Oriole, in case you wanted to know), and I also got to do fictions for other sections, like the Monks and a few of the other Minor Clans. Got to help design mechanics too, which was fun. I'm to blame for the new weapon-forging rules. ;) One of the things I'm proudest of, though, are the new Minor Clan Mons, which I convinced the big-wigs was needed for the book. Also, the School Index in the back, which took me a long time to compile but I think it was needed.

I'm especially pleased that I finally got to fill in one of the biggest mechanical, crafting-related gaps in the game... the fact that the Katana had no Koku value and, consequently, no Crafting TN.

Edit: Obviously, I am very excited for this book. :)

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 9, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do they still do block books to give details on what's happening in the card game? I have the first three, Day of Thunder, Hidden Empire, and the Four Winds. Unless Iuchiban wasn't covered in the Four Winds book. I think that's it, we're there any after that?

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do they still do block books to give details on what's happening in the card game? I have the first three, Day of Thunder, Hidden Empire, and the Four Winds. Unless Iuchiban wasn't covered in the Four Winds book. I think that's it, we're there any after that?

The Imperial Histories books are what you are looking for in 4E. Between the two, I think everything is covered with the exception of the most recent arc. Plus you get some alternate ones, like Rokugan in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Spookyelectric posted:

I'm one of the writers for that book, and I also did the layout and graphic design. I got to write the sections for my three favorite Minor Clans (Sparrow, Dragonfly, Oriole, in case you wanted to know), and I also got to do fictions for other sections, like the Monks and a few of the other Minor Clans. Got to help design mechanics too, which was fun. I'm to blame for the new weapon-forging rules. ;) One of the things I'm proudest of, though, are the new Minor Clan Mons, which I convinced the big-wigs was needed for the book. Also, the School Index in the back, which took me a long time to compile but I think it was needed.

I'm especially pleased that I finally got to fill in one of the biggest mechanical, crafting-related gaps in the game... the fact that the Katana had no Koku value and, consequently, no Crafting TN.

Edit: Obviously, I am very excited for this book. :)

Do you play on FRO?

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

wargames posted:

Do you play on FRO?

I'm sorry, but I'm honestly not sure what that is.

I've done L5R Play by Post on forums, if that's what you mean.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Five Rings Online there is a dude there that said they worked on monks in the new book.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Ah! No, that's not me, I wrote the fiction introducing that Chapter, but not the Chapter itself. The vast bulk of my writing is contained to the Minor Clans Chapter of the book.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

jadarx posted:

The Imperial Histories books are what you are looking for in 4E. Between the two, I think everything is covered with the exception of the most recent arc. Plus you get some alternate ones, like Rokugan in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

The alternate timelines and "lost history" chapters made those books well worth the price IMO, especially the second one.

Just finished Book of Fire, right on time to move onto Secrets. It's funny, my opinion on Fire kept zig-zagging between chapters - the bushi chapter was good, I hated the shugenja chapter, the monk/court stuff was okay, and then the dojo was pure "I need to run this" great. Genuinely laughed at the idea of students spreading rumors of that one Yoritomo who woke up, hungover, all "whoops, did I just accidentally the dojo?", and I'm all for new reasons to have multi-clan PCs other than "magistrates again I guess?"

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

jadarx posted:

For the record, that Rokugan in SPAAAAAAAAAACE setting is damned awesome. I actually wish it'd had more room to be expanded on outside the broad clan overviews and a few sample NPCs.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

ScottyBomb posted:

For the record, that Rokugan in SPAAAAAAAAAACE setting is damned awesome. I actually wish it'd had more room to be expanded on outside the broad clan overviews and a few sample NPCs.

Tell me more about Rokugan in SPAAAAAAAAAACE because on the face of it I'm kind of skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The year (according to the Isawa Calendar) is 3,122. It is the reign of the 112th Iweko Emperor.

The Phoenix have discovered a ritual that enables faster than light travel.

The Clans are triumphant on Rokugan, as the remaining gaijin nations are forcibly resettled to other worlds. The Great Clans have built spaceships, and have armed them against each other. The Emperor permits skirmishes to happen on other worlds, as long as the conflict stays off Rokugan. However, by edict of the Emperor, clans cannot claim full worlds for themselves, but instead must share them with their fellow clans.

Twenty years ago, a new Emperor took the throne, and relaxed the rules on interclan conflict, as long as it didn't unduly affect the Empire's trading. This has caused some problems as the more aggressive Clans seek to expand their holdings.

Mantis pirates are raiding Lion ships, and the Lion are not only hunting the pirates with an army of ships, but also are punishing the Mantis for what is believed to be covert support.

A masked ronin named Nazo won the Emerald Championship (still settled in the traditional manner, via iaijutsu duels), and the woman he defeated (the daughter of the former Emerald Champion) seeks to discover the ronin's identity and discredit him (causing strife)

The Spider and Dragon are preparing for war over the Dragon defending a member of an alien race that destroyed a Spider outpost. (The Crane and Spider actually ally over the Nazo-Crane feud)

The Empire is under threat from a race of creatures called Scarabs, (basically like Chrysalids from Xcom, they infect living creatures and turn them into more creatures like themselves.. a single hidden Scarab can be enough to take over a whole ship)

• Locked thread