Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is Umaro really meant to be a joke, though? He's competent enough to not really be 'funny' but awful enough to not be worth using. Not to mention you can have joke characters that are still usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

SaGa Frontier 2 only has one scenario that's actually hard if you know what you're doing. Even the ridiculously long endboss is perfectly manageable if you take a little time to get your final party up to speed. Battle of South Moundtop can eat a bag of dicks but that's what they made Gamefaqs for.
I'm thinking more towards the middle of Wil's story (as in Wil Knights himself, not his descendants), actually, specifically the parts where the game throws Griffons at you. They're a fast-moving aerial enemy, which means they can clip through walls, and they have around ten thousand HP and you're over there thinking you're hot poo poo with your very first Kris Knife Quell and then you just get hounded by these huge fuckers who can ruin your day.

At least you can spark some reasonably good attacks from them early on in the game (if they don't use their super-powered attacks).

Maybe "balanced" was the wrong word, but basically gently caress anyone who makes "challenging" bosses by giving them weird invincibility-alike gimmicks and overwhelmingly high stats and saying "well you just need to change your tactics :smug:"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 11, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brave New World wasn't even that hard from what I played of it, though? Like it's not 7th Saga or anything.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

The White Dragon posted:

Maybe "balanced" was the wrong word, but basically gently caress anyone who makes "challenging" bosses by giving them weird invincibility-alike gimmicks and overwhelmingly high stats and saying "well you just need to change your tactics :smug:"

Ugh, memories of xenoblade...

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
I'm just past the opera house in Brave New World (Active, fastest battle speed in spite of the modder's advice), and while there have been a couple of gotchas, I've found it to be overall a reasonable challenge and a great excuse to revisit FF6. The 'clean' dialogue still has some dumb jokes but nothing overly distracting like the gratuitous profanity of the previous version.

Things that I have wiped on, so far:
  • Random encounters on Mt. Kolts, a couple of times! Tuskers hit heavy, and Condors will use Gale Cut if left alive long enough. I probably would've had an easier time of it if I had not splurged so much on gear in South Figaro and stocked up on more consumables instead. Dungeons are good at draining your resources in this -- you need to budget your MP use and dedicate a good chunk of your gold to restocking your consumables when you get back to town.

• Vargas, though it was my own stupid fault. He has a lot more health now, but this just happened because I mis-targeted a Phoenix Down. Just be prepared to stick Terra on healing duty because he will hit you with frequent Gale Cuts.

• Locke's scenario. Yeah, they upgraded the Heavy Armors to Mega Armors. Figures.

• Opera House Ultros. Not sure if I did something to trigger him pelting me with frequent full-party striking spells, but it was difficult to keep HP up since you're in a side attack formation. Cyan, with his awful MP, was my only healer, since Kirin is the only esper from the starting set he can use, and I didn't want to have any party members not taking advantage of esper bonuses if I could help it. Ultros gave me a better pattern on the second attempt, going down with no need to reconfigure my party.

• Chickenlips on the southern continent cast Quake if they are alone. It's so dumb and counter-intuitive that I will likely never forget it.

Someone mentioned difficulty with Dadaluma -- Zozo is a bitch in general. Enemies dish out a ton of damage, but if you can make it to the end with enough restoratives to face him at full HP/MP, he shouldn't be too bad, albeit it is a long fight.

I went in with Locke/Sabin/Celes/Edgar all around level 11 or 12. Really, all I did was have Edgar with Flash ready to re-up Seizure whenever Dadaluma came down from a jump. Otherwise, Sabin would just Fight, Edgar would Bio Blast, Celes would heal (easy as I don't recall the boss having attacks that damage multiple targets), and Locke would pick up slack where necessary. Make sure Sabin is using Fight rather than Blitz, and that he has two Poison Claws instead of equipping the Hell Claw you get just before the battle to better exploit weaknesses. I also gave Sabin the Black Belt for the sake of sneaking in more delicious 2x claw damage, but I don't remember it ever paying off. Dadaluma died just as Celes' MP reserves began to get down to the wire.

If having to think that much about beating an early-game boss fight sounds appealing, then I endorse this mod! It's hardly rocket science, but it's leagues beyond what was required of you in the vanilla game.

krystal.lynn fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 12, 2013

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Finally finished XIII....what a terrible boss, bad ending.

Time for XIII-2, I guess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kanpachi posted:

• Chickenlips on the southern continent cast Quake if they are alone. It's so dumb and counter-intuitive that I will likely never forget it.

To be fair, they did this in the vanilla FF6. Something like a 1/3 shot there, but still.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Boy, there's something about FFXII that makes me want to :barf:

I can't play the game for more than 30 minutes at a time because the way the camera swings around when you hit a barrier just makes me so queasy, and any time the game goes to an interior space I tend to have this issue. And the game is running at 60fps so it's not like there's any framerate fuckery that's contributing, I just straight up can't look at this game for very long unless I'm running around in a huge field or something.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

1st AD posted:

I can't play the game for more than 30 minutes at a time because the way the camera swings around when you hit a barrier just makes me so queasy, and any time the game goes to an interior space I tend to have this issue. And the game is running at 60fps so it's not like there's any framerate fuckery that's contributing, I just straight up can't look at this game for very long unless I'm running around in a huge field or something.

Are you playing on PS2 or emulated?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Emulated.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

Is Umaro really meant to be a joke, though? He's competent enough to not really be 'funny' but awful enough to not be worth using. Not to mention you can have joke characters that are still usable.

Umaro isn't unusable- with the Snow Muffler he's pretty much nigh-unkillable and his damage with his Bone Club and his unique accessories is really high for the early parts of the World of Ruin- but the problem is that Magic is what breaks FF6 and the few characters that are notable physical powerhouses have the ability to negate enemy defenses (Locke) get around the penalties from the Offering to attack repeatedly at high power (Setzer) or Wind Slash Shenanigans (Cyan, Gau in the earliest versions of the game). Without any of those, anyone stuck relying on Attacking repeatedly for damage would eventually fall off and Umaro was no exception.

That said, Square loves the Berserker concept but just doesn't care enough to put in the time to make one that isn't bad. They tried with Umaro by giving him mountains of free stats but running and swinging at things was about the worst way to get stuff done in FF6 regardless of how stacked you were at it.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

1st AD posted:

I got that the first day I played FFXII, but not again after that. It's probably related to the fact that I quit pointlessly spinning the camera around constantly.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
FFXIII-3: Return of the Lightning scans:

:butt:

Cid Returns. The Not-Seymour Guado on the left is "Bhunivelze" aka crystal-robo-god.

Close-up.

Achievement list has also come out; looks like robo-god is the final boss. :ssh:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 13, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There is nothing about Lightning's costume that is not stupid.

Nothing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

Close-up.

Achievement list has also come out; looks like robo-god is the final boss. :ssh:

Hmmm Robot God Looks a hell of a lot like Orphan/Barthandelus. Is it happening? Is Space Pope the true final ending of this stupid stupid sub-franchise?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
At this rate, we'll get the final cutscene by monday. Genius.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hmmm Robot God Looks a hell of a lot like Orphan/Barthandelus. Is it happening? Is Space Pope the true final ending of this stupid stupid sub-franchise?

He doesn't really look like either of them other than that ornamental mechano-statue look. I mean, I won't be surprised if they pull that "twist" out of their collective classically-architected bums but I think its a bit of a stretch based on the imagery.

Unrelated; FFX why are some of your ultimate weapons so easy to obtain and others stupidly difficult. Theres no eveness here, 2 of them just require a little effort and can be worked on simultaneously while some of the others are basically random chance or insane grinding. Thank god the only character worth a drat in the vanilla version is an easy one.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not Space Pope. I think it was the god he was trying to summon in XIII, by killing Cocoon, or whatever. For whatever reason, in XIII-3, Robo-God brings back Lightning from her bitch-crystal, and says "Save/punch people or whatever", and that's the prompt for the plot - as far as I understand the synopsis anyway.

Although, I will laugh my rear end off if it turns out to be Space Pope.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I will laugh harder if it turns out to be Space Ecumenical Patriarch and the entire game trilogy turns out to be a massively convoluted retelling of the great schism.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's not Space Pope. I think it was the god he was trying to summon in XIII, by killing Cocoon, or whatever. For whatever reason, in XIII-3, Robo-God brings back Lightning from her bitch-crystal, and says "Save/punch people or whatever", and that's the prompt for the plot - as far as I understand the synopsis anyway.

Couldn't be, he was trying to Summon Etro. It was her gate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The basic premise is that the world is hosed and Lightning is collecting souls, Valkyrie-style, but any souls left behind are doomed to literal nonexistance. It's pretty logical for Robogod to be the last boss when the inevitable Best Ending is going to be "they somehow punch things hard enough that those souls are not doomed to nonexistance" because that is how Final Fantasy rolls. I'd put my odds on Lightning becoming the literal god of the world at the end, Valkyrie Profile style, because really Lightning Returns desperately wants to be a VP game.

Also:

Goddess of Death achivement posted:

Proof of defeating 10 Last Ones, exterminating forever 10 different species of monster.

Jesus Christ.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 13, 2013

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

This is not clothes! Clothes! Wear clothes!. I swear to loving God.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Nah, her clothes are fine, she's just wackily stuck in a permanent Marilyn Manson-esque windstorm that's constantly blowing her skirts up, teehee.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Theglavwen posted:

Nah, her clothes are fine, she's just wackily stuck in a permanent Marilyn Manson-esque windstorm that's constantly blowing her skirts up, teehee.

Monroe, not Manson.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Hah, lookit that. Yeah, Monroe.

Actually, no, gonna stand by Manson. You've just never had a chance to see him in a wind-storm.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The basic premise is that the world is hosed and Lightning is collecting souls, Valkyrie-style, but any souls left behind are doomed to literal nonexistance. It's pretty logical for Robogod to be the last boss when the inevitable Best Ending is going to be "they somehow punch things hard enough that those souls are not doomed to nonexistance" because that is how Final Fantasy rolls. I'd put my odds on Lightning becoming the literal god of the world at the end, Valkyrie Profile style, because really Lightning Returns desperately wants to be a VP game.

Also:

Jesus Christ.

You'd be pleased to know that Tri-Ace was working on Lighting Returns :v:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

There's nothing wrong with wearing bits of scrap metal and torn up trenchcoats, at least compared to double denim.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So what you're saying is that the true ending is going to require arcane bullshit like sparing two specific species from extinction, genociding the rest, and making sure Snow wears a particular hat on a particular day.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't think of anything that would make me happier if Space Pope were to return in LR, that would make all of the terrible non-gameplay stuff worth it, especially if you get an optional Space Pope outfit for Lightning. Bhunivelze is a cool design though, I like him.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Why the gently caress is Toriyama such a god drat creep? Jesus christ, I can't imagine Nomura being told to come up with these designs and not being like "loving jesus, can I make one outfit belts covering the whole body so she has something covering some skin?"

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 13, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They were working on FFXIII-2 too. I get the feeling someone desperately wants to make another VP game but knows it won't be marketable.

Unfortunately Toriyama's tainted touch is upon all before us.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Why the gently caress is Toriyama such a god drat creep? Jesus christ, I can't imagine Nomura being told to come up with these designs and not being like "loving jesus, can I make one outfit belts covering the whole body so she has something covering some skin?"
Plenty of the outfits are fairly non-fanservicey. In fact from the ones I've seen, the fanservicey ones are in the vast minority.

Which just makes them awkwardly stick out even more.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

So what you're saying is that the true ending is going to require arcane bullshit like sparing two specific species from extinction, genociding the rest, and making sure Snow wears a particular hat on a particular day.

Yes and in the true ending path everything is revealed to be video game and that the end of time is actually the scheduled shutdown of the games servers. It segues into FFXV.

vvv
Hobo, Butler, Cloud and the samurai armors look fine if it wasnt for her weird proportions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Plenty of the outfits are fairly non-fanservicey. In fact from the ones I've seen, the fanservicey ones are in the vast minority.

Which just makes them awkwardly stick out even more.

Where are they? Because I haven't really been seeing them. I know someone posted like a collection of them a while back and some of them still looked rather risque.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Beep boop bop. More pictures:

Caius' returns (not that it's unexpected), and Goth Not-Sera cries.

"My Fists...are a tool of Justice!"

Something about how the passage of time works ingame.

More Costumes:
Tron-Lightning

"It was acceptable in the 80's"

"Just struttin' my stuff"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 13, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yes and in the true ending path everything is revealed to be video game and that the end of time is actually the scheduled shutdown of the games servers. It segues into FFXV.

Oh, so it's a sequel to two different games at once, huh?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Why does she have arms and shoulders like a little girl? Oh because Toriyama is a creep and pedo probably.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

ImpAtom posted:

I'd put my odds on Lightning becoming the literal god of the world at the end, Valkyrie Profile style,

Toriyama knows that Lightning's time in the limelight is coming to an end so he's trying to immortalize Lightning in Final Fantasy canon. We're going to see Lightning as a summon/eidolon in future Final Fantasy games.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Toriyama probably has a lot of enablers that won't him off for being such a goony creep.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Nomura made some of these stupid costume designs himself. He has a history of strange costume ideas.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

1st AD posted:

Why does she have arms and shoulders like a little girl?

Because they gave her weird-rear end proportions.

Vanderdeath covers it pretty well.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Lightning's legs have a really odd length.
It's like her thighs are way too long. Or something to do with the placement of her knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Just struttin' my stuff"

Pirate Lightning actually owns quite a bit.