Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah that wasn't even on my radar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Lots to unpack, but check out Durkon in panel 4 eyeballing that airship-shadow.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Great, now I have to go look for a bunch of hints other than the one where Elan walks off to formulate that secret plan.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 14, 2013

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh poo poo! So are we going to end up with a double-father death and OoTS picking up the airship to the next gate?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

"Dramatically significant death scene to swear vengeance over"? Hmm, and where did we hear someone expecting exactly such a thing before?

e: Amazing page, anyway. Wonder if this will placate the "omg I'm sick of this dull desert arc" crowd.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I always wondered why the airship was called Mechane.

FMguru posted:

Lots to unpack, but check out Durkon in panel 4 eyeballing that airship-shadow.

Also notice how it's moving: in panel 4, Roy and Elan are at the edge of it, while by the end of it they're at its center. So Durkon's probably covered by the end of this strip.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Haha the DEM brigade are going to go mental over that. Points to the dude who observed that Julio's airship is literally called the 'Machine'?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

RentACop posted:

Yeah that wasn't even on my radar

Hahaha yuuup.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

So now we know what Elan needed Durkon for way back ago when they were formulating the secret plan -- he needed him to cast Sending. :haw:

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Carrasco posted:

I always wondered why the airship was called Mechane.

Julio Scoundrel was always my favorite character and this seals it, I don't care if it is or isn't contrived because it's glorious.

^^^^^

I didn't even think of this, so it isn't even contrived, depending on what Elan had to say.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Oh man, check out V in that first panel.

Thats certainly a..... creative use of psionics. :gonk:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I knew it!

I mean I didn't know he would show up right now but I think I even commented back then that we just wouldn't be able to resist coming back to save his pupil even if it means his death.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I did actually suspect that this was where Elan's plan would pan out and was mulling over what the whole 'family' and 'good' interplay was going to be, and I'd spent this whole arc thinking that Tarquin was like the evil version of Elan's Dashing Swordsman mentor (that mini-adventure is my favourite segment). I didn't think we'd actually see him again. Rich still constantly surprises me with how well thought out in advance his plot is, even when (as he says), it's all hinted at.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
"My mom is your biggest fan!" "You remind me of myself when I was younger." All the way back in strip #389. drat.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Imagine the line "General Tarquin! We meet again!" spoken in a suave Spanish accent like in a movie :3:.

edit: Hey Tarquin get your hands the gently caress off of Roy's sword.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 13, 2013

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Oh man, check out V in that first panel.

Thats certainly a..... creative use of psionics. :gonk:

I can't actually tell what's happening. Is that his headband of intellect?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

terminal mehmet posted:

I can't actually tell what's happening. Is that his headband of intellect?

It's Tarquin's whip. Laurin grabbed it with her MIND POWERS and is using it to strangulate V.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He's toast, of course, but it'll buy the Order time to escape and regroup.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, deus ex machina. Lllllaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah, last time they met Tarquin was just an apprentice, now he is a master (of evil). I suspect Julio is going to become more powerful than the general can possibly imagine soon.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Well, that certainly answers how you go from a desert to a frozen dwarven wasteland in enough time to be competitive with the Lich who knows teleport.

e: Given his self-awareness about dying when he next sees Elan, I wonder how many contingencies he has set up? I can't see him jumping into this like a naive 3rd-level warrior, even if he does have history with Tarquin.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 13, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I didn't see that coming. Poor Julio Scoundrel. Narrative convention would say that he would die here.
He said so too. Dude's toast.

Didn't see that coming at all.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Wow. I did not see this coming at all, but it's definitely an interesting twist.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

greatn posted:

Well, deus ex machina. Lllllaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Or deus ex mechane, as the case may be.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
To me, this just plays into Tarquin's breakdown. He's trying to force the narrative, and the narrative is literally firing back. "No, you don't control this story, and if you still think so should you endure this, I will gladly have a random sandworm eat you." It's metatextually amusing: it reads like the story is actually getting pissed off about Tarquin's now-overt presumptions about it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

Lllllaaaaaaaaaaaame.

This was set up 600 strips ago. Not his fault if you didn't predict it.

And a forgotten yet dashing elderly Spanish mentor surfing down on his flying carpet from his airship to duel the evil overlord is so far from lame the light from lame will take millions of years to reach it.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 13, 2013

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Julie is even implying they have a history. That must be why Tarquin knows how to pun-duel.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zetetica posted:

Julie is even implying they have a history. That must be why Tarquin knows how to pun-duel.

Oh hell, "It's been a long time since I was last called on to pun-duel". The hints have been everywhere.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
With all the hints pointed out, I guess it makes sense, but this still feels weak to me.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Julio fought Tarquin when they were both younger and Tarquin's sons look like their father so of course Julio would recognize that Elan is the good son of his old evil rival. He probably knew; the minute he made Elan his apprentice, that the narrative would require him to die as the old mentor figure of a young hero. It's probably a pretty acceptable way out of the game for an old scoundrel like him, too.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
There's too much genre savvy in one 10ft square. It's a metanarrative singularity. Will their fight be a metaphor for their varying perspectives on stories, or a tremendous ironic anticlimax? Or something else matching character personalities?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

Taking a break is a sensible thing to do if it's annoying you.

Seems like this is a bizarro flipside of people complaining that nothing is happening, though - THERE'S TOO MUCH HAPPENING AND WALLS OF FIRE AND ARMIES ATTACKING AND SUDDEN REVERSALS AND DINOSAUR CHASES AND IMPALINGS GET BACK TO WALKING AROUND AND PUPPET JOKES.

They'll resolve it themselves. Haley has her wands (and is unmarked), Elan has his plan. And a DEM would be super-lame so Rich won't do it because he's not super-lame.

In fairness I'm obliged to quote my own utterly wrong prediction for crow-eating purposes. I stand by my point re non-lameness though.

And I've always thought if you're gonna break the rules (no Deus Ex Machina resolutions) then you should at least break'em good and hard (have your resolution descend from the heavens, out of a device called 'the Machine').

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Toplowtech posted:

Julio fought Tarquin when they were both younger and Tarquin's sons look like their father so of course Julio would recognize that Elan is the good son of his old evil rival. He probably knew; the minute he made Elan his apprentice, that the narrative would require him to die as the old mentor figure of a young hero. It's probably a pretty acceptable way out of the game for an old scoundrel like him, too.

He also lives in a world with raise dead. My guess is he'll take a bullet that he knows is coming, but isn't interested in staying dead.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Haha, this is pretty awesome. Can't wait for the next page!

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

ikanreed posted:

He also lives in a world with raise dead. My guess is he'll take a bullet that he knows is coming, but isn't interested in staying dead.

I bet chaotic good heaven is boss.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Noah posted:

Yeah, but so was Roy's heaven. Julio is 100% the "I'm not done yet" pulp action hero. He's not the aging martyr that shojo was.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ikanreed posted:

And Durkon still has enough diamond dust for a raise. It's all coming together now.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Man, this is better than the 4 White Mages callback in 8 Bit Theatre.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Noah posted:

You get single-malt scotch and cigars rolled from poorly-worded legal documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Potooweet posted:

You get single-malt scotch and cigars rolled from poorly-worded legal documents.

That's one of my favourite Rich gags. 'Poorly' is what you call the indispensable comic element in that sentence.