Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Did Q show up in DS9 after that? I haven't seen the whole series, but he tends to stick out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

Did Q show up in DS9 after that? I haven't seen the whole series, but he tends to stick out.

Nope, that's the only time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I like to imagine that the Prophets told him to gently caress off and that they were tired of his poo poo.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Hyperriker posted:

I remember noticing this immediately, first time, at eight loving years old goddamn

Same. I was around 9 or 10 and immediately identified it as being from ST6.

Another reason why Generations is ARSE.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Nutsngum posted:

Was it really that expensive to make a cheap model, fill it with explosives, and blow it up on camera?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

BrandonGK posted:

Was it really that expensive to make a cheap model, fill it with explosives, and blow it up on camera?

Apparently it was expensive enough.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrandonGK posted:

I assume that is money that Shatner wanted.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'd like to see Q go into their somber heartbeat-filled world and appear sitting on a table or on the balcony or whatever, drape his arm over one of their shoulders and just generally be an rear end to them. As one omnipotent energy being to another, if you will.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Farecoal posted:

If only all Star Trek fistfights could have been as well choreographed and intense as the one in A Matter of Honor. Could you guys imagine every DS9 fight scene being that good? :sigh:

The scene where Worf fights all those dudes on the prison planet was cool.
Will nobody acknowledge that Sisko poisoned a whole planet after talking about how if he's the bad guy, he'll be the bad guy or the danger or something? It's like classic cable antihero poo poo and then he goes back to normal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/11/star-trek-green-screen/

Oh no.

Oh no.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

BrandonGK posted:

It may very well have been a last-minute reshoot thing to make the movie more exciting, so rather than build a model and blow it up at the end of the their budget, they just reused a clip. Is it cheap? Yeah. But that's probably the point.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bicyclops posted:

Weirdly, TOS can sometimes look a little less low budget than early TNG, actually, mostly because they were pretty aware that they were doing things like filming on an old Western set and compensated for it, whereas TNG's early solution was to activate the fog machine and fake lightning against a purple backdrop. Gas God Space Monster #s 1-27 are almost all a hell of a lot better looking than the blob monster that kills Tasha. Even the rubber lizard suit looks less absurd than some of those super 80s effects.

The blob monster was at least an interesting attempt and turned out way better than the Sheliak. And come on, the human face coming out of the black goop was cool.

I think what hurt Skin of Evil more was that the TNG guys completely sucked at doing the soundstage planet sets. The backdrops always looked super hokey.

Angry Salami posted:

TMP's official budget is pretty much Hollywood accounting, though - it's including the costs of all the failed Star Trek projects that came before it, like the "Phase 2" series. It probably had more money to play with than the later movies, but not by the massive amount that the official figures make it look like it had.

TMP still ran into some pretty severe budget overruns though, to the point where Paramount would have been in trouble if the movie had bombed.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Count Chocula posted:

Will nobody acknowledge that Sisko poisoned a whole planet after talking about how if he's the bad guy, he'll be the bad guy or the danger or something? It's like classic cable antihero poo poo and then he goes back to normal.

He's not the bad guy, but he can live with it.

He can live with it, right?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Count Chocula posted:

The Heisenberg is aggressive, combative.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This came up a thread or two ago. Someone dug up one with Babylon 5's Michael O'Hare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27MXcQrZc1Y

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Hyperriker posted:

I remember noticing this immediately, first time, at eight loving years old goddamn

Well, sure, when Aatrek points it out to you ahead of time.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Nope, that's the only time.

First time they meet Sisko hits him. Picard never hit him. Q realized The Sisko isn't going to put up with his poo poo.

Also, Sisko only poisoned the planet for humans in response to another planet being poisoned for cardies. At the end of the episode, the two settlements literally just switched planets and it ended there.

If you want real bad go watch how he brought the Romulans into the war.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DemeaninDemon posted:

First time they meet Sisko hits him. Picard never hit him. Q realized The Sisko isn't going to put up with his poo poo.

Also, Sisko only poisoned the planet for humans in response to another planet being poisoned for cardies. At the end of the episode, the two settlements literally just switched planets and it ended there.

If you want real bad go watch how he brought the Romulans into the war.

But it was Garak who blew up the shuttle. Sisko's plan was a bit underhanded, but it failed, hence the "IT'S A FAAAAAKE" thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DrSunshine posted:

But it was Garak who blew up the shuttle. Sisko's plan was a bit underhanded, but it failed, hence the "IT'S A FAAAAAKE" thing.

If you think Sisko didn't know, in his heart of hearts, exactly what he was getting into by asking for Garak's help, then you need your head examined.

It was a very messy, very bloody business, indeed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

One thing I've always wondered is if there's ships that don't encounter anything exciting their entire careers? So far we've seen tons of adventures on three Enterprises "to boldly going", one vessel in the Delta Quadrant, and a space station in the Wild West of the Federation. Naturally, all of these places are going to be encountering weird poo poo and be targeted by enemies.

But is there ever, like, a pudgy little Nebula-class whose entire career from shipyard to scrapyard was nosing around the Sol system and shuttling diplomats to milquetoast Federation planets? They've never even put the shields up. The crew slow-paced middle-aged men and women as well as some of the dumber Federation member races, who spend most of their time holodecking, wandering the arboretum, and eating--sort of like the Enterprise D, but nobody is ever interrupted by a red alert and the holodeck never creates an evil god. Everyone has love handles and, in these uniforms, it shows.

Wolf 359 came and went, nobody even put them on a short-list to counter the Borg threat. The Dominion war surges across the quadrant like a storm, and Captain Amanda Brown is eating a doughnut in The Forward Cafe pretending to care what the Bolian Ambassador is saying, the USS Banality trundling along to yet another summit.

But you get to learn things about Federation races... although not necessarily interesting things. More about what various worlds' diplomatic staff like for meals, and how they decorate, and the bullshit loving pointless things they complain about like oh my god, my replicator doesn't make an accurate Rigellian mousefish curry, my bed is horizontal, the gravity is uneven, and there aren't any towels for the sonic shower.

I'd watch that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Brawnfire posted:

One thing I've always wondered is if there's ships that don't encounter anything exciting their entire careers? So far we've seen tons of adventures on three Enterprises "to boldly going", one vessel in the Delta Quadrant, and a space station in the Wild West of the Federation. Naturally, all of these places are going to be encountering weird poo poo and be targeted by enemies.

But is there ever, like, a pudgy little Nebula-class whose entire career from shipyard to scrapyard was nosing around the Sol system and shuttling diplomats to milquetoast Federation planets? They've never even put the shields up. The crew slow-paced middle-aged men and women as well as some of the dumber Federation member races, who spend most of their time holodecking, wandering the arboretum, and eating--sort of like the Enterprise D, but nobody is ever interrupted by a red alert and the holodeck never creates an evil god. Everyone has love handles and, in these uniforms, it shows.

Wolf 359 came and went, nobody even put them on a short-list to counter the Borg threat. The Dominion war surges across the quadrant like a storm, and Captain Amanda Brown is eating a doughnut in The Forward Cafe pretending to care what the Bolian Ambassador is saying, the USS Banality trundling along to yet another summit.

But you get to learn things about Federation races... although not necessarily interesting things. More about what various worlds' diplomatic staff like for meals, and how they decorate, and the bullshit loving pointless things they complain about like oh my god, my replicator doesn't make an accurate Rigellian mousefish curry, my bed is horizontal, the gravity is uneven, and there aren't any towels for the sonic shower.

I'd watch that.

There's that episode of DS9 where Bashir's classmate from space med school shows up at the station and it turns out the mission she's been on for 5 years was a total loving bore.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Those cushy space jobs always suddenly turn toward disaster their replicators turn them into monster people or they get sucked into the future, mostly so that when the Enterprise(s) encounter them during some sort of shore leave, it's still an exciting adventure!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Starfleet postings are all hell. If you're not posted directly to Enterprise, there's a 5% chance your entire ship will die in an interesting enough way that Enterprise will investigate. And if you are posted to Enterprise, well, it's just low-level danger and irritating bullshit every single week. You might not die, but you're not getting any work done, either.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Starfleet postings are all hell. If you're not posted directly to Enterprise, there's a 5% chance your entire ship will die in an interesting enough way that Enterprise will investigate. And if you are posted to Enterprise, well, it's just low-level danger and irritating bullshit every single week. You might not die, but you're not getting any work done, either.

Unless its the original Enterprise, then you are turned into cubes or sent to the Apple planet. You could also loose your face or killed by a rampaging robot.

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.

Mike the TV posted:

You mean that wasn't him in Ender's Game. :wtc:

I knew I couldn't be the only person who thought Aron Eisenberg was in this movie, even for a second.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

CPColin posted:

Well, sure, when Aatrek points it out to you ahead of time.

Probably not your smartest move, just saying

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

MikeJF posted:

TOS was always very big on using whatever sets they had lying around from other productions. It's why there are so many Earth history knockoffs.

Use the backlot, Luke.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kibayasu posted:

Some people do just get out of acting, you know? I don't want to say DS9 was perhaps a terrible experience for him but maybe it showed that he didn't really want to be a TV or movie actor or something.

His Wikipedia says he's a stage actor these days when he's not being a photographer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

His Wikipedia says he's a stage actor these days when he's not being a photographer.

That's cool, I was just spit-balling possibilities. Mostly what I was saying is that just because IMBD doesn't have someone listed as doing anything after a specific production (and if they aren't stage acting either) doesn't necessarily equal a sad thing. Acting can be a job like any other and sometimes you just don't do a job any more for whatever reason.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I wonder if they scare new cadets with rumors that Janeway will be demoted back to the captaincy.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Nutsngum posted:

Generations is still my favourite TNG film, the soundtrack saves it.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Thom12255 posted:

Generations is still my favourite TNG film, the soundtrack saves it.

Also it's beautiful to look at

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Damning with faint praise.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

ashpanash posted:

Damning with faint praise.

It doesn't have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread to still appreciate the excellent parts of the movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

It'll look better when they remaster it for the next TNG Blu-ray set.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Starfleet postings are all hell. If you're not posted directly to Enterprise, there's a 5% chance your entire ship will die in an interesting enough way that Enterprise will investigate.

Look, as long as you stay on the other side of the Federation to the Enterprise you can happily spend your life sniffing comets without anything exciting happening.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The space shots in Generations are beautiful. The lighting on the Ten-Forward scene at Amargosa is probably the best part of the movie.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's also the only time other than Yesterday's Enterprise that the ship's main bar is packed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress Generations. Here's a Star Trek thing that's better than Generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKNSWUzC-uc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I wonder if there's a battle bar that opens up after a saucer separation.

• Locked thread