Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Blhue posted:

Since it was being given to a bear, it may be exactly that. There's probably a specific name for that cut of meat in English, but eh.

Well, rump roast is usually beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Rump roast doesn't usually come in bottles, though, unless he just gave him a big bottle of beef broth.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ah, I forgot it was said along with giving him something bottled. A liquor with an odd brand name maybe?

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Silentman0 posted:

Rump roast doesn't usually come in bottles, though, unless he just gave him a big bottle of beef broth.

Looking closer it's 牛後ティ- which does suggest it's some kind of (maybe beef flavored?) tea. Which should have occurred to me but didn't. If you look closely it looks like he's handing him two things so I assumed he was referring to the smaller thing and not the bottle of pretty obviously tea. I tried putting it in google and a couple of dictionaries but didn't have any luck.

Edit: if I had to guess now I'd say it's a (probably fake since it doesn't show up on google) brand name and would translate it Gyugo Tea. I might change it to that later.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 13, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Your translations are pretty good to read, Joshlemagne. I am appreciating them. You should contact Batoto with these and see if they'll host Kumamiko for you, that'd be rad.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I don't think I would put Kumamiko in any of my Top X lists, but I find it amazing that we found this untranslated Surreal Daily Life Manga that we would like to read and out of nowhere a goon pops up with a translation. You embody the true spirit of the thread, Joshlemagne.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Joshlemagne posted:

Looking closer it's 牛後ティ- which does suggest it's some kind of (maybe beef flavored?) tea. Which should have occurred to me but didn't. If you look closely it looks like he's handing him two things so I assumed he was referring to the smaller thing and not the bottle of pretty obviously tea. I tried putting it in google and a couple of dictionaries but didn't have any luck.

Edit: if I had to guess now I'd say it's a (probably fake since it doesn't show up on google) brand name and would translate it Gyugo Tea. I might change it to that later.

The two kanji are 'Cow' and 'After/Behind,' so it could be some tea for drinking after a meal? If it's not simply, as you say, a brand name.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Cow Tea is most likely a reference to 午後ティー (gogo, or "afternoon" tea), an actual brand name. For those of you keeping score at home, there is all of a single stroke's difference between the two spellings. Or maybe you just need to clean your monitor :v:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I kind of want to try beef-flavored tea now.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silentman0 posted:

I kind of want to try beef-flavored tea now.

Beef tea is a thing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovril posted:

Bovril

Bovril is the trademarked name of a thick, salty meat extract, developed in the 1870s by John Lawson Johnston and sold in a distinctive, bulbous jar. It is made in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, owned and distributed by Unilever UK.

Bovril can be made into a drink by diluting with hot water, or less commonly with milk.[1] It can also be used as a flavouring for soups, stews or porridge, or spread on bread, especially toast, rather like Marmite.

The first part of the product's name comes from Latin bos meaning "ox" or "cow". Johnston took the -vril suffix from Bulwer-Lytton's then-popular "lost race" novel The Coming Race (1870), whose plot revolves around a superior race of people, the Vril-ya, who derive their powers from an electromagnetic substance named "Vril".[2][3]

Alternatively:

http://www.pkdiet.com/pages/recipes/recipeiweb/recipe/Beef_Tea.html posted:

Beef Tea - Ancient recipe distilled concentrated liquid beef

Beef tea is almost identical to the French l'essence de boeuf, a truly restorative food with a different almost gossamer type of protein for healing ailing bodies. It is alkaline. This is not beef broth or beef consume or beef soup. It is a distilled concentrated liquid beef oftentimes known as beef tea. I have noticed when animal proteins are prepared this way, and taken in very small almost medicinal quantities, they are alkaline and especially healthful for someone who is sick and ailing.

Round steak or eye of the round is trimmed of all visible fat and cut into little cubes. These cubes of beef are placed in a clean wide glass jar with a lid. Add to the jar a clean rock or a heavy spoon for balance. Place this glass jar with the beef cubes (and the rock or heavy spoon) inside another big pot of water.

Loosely cover the glass jar containing the beef. Loosely cover the heavy pot the houses all. Each has its own lid or cover. Allow this to simmer together for about 2-4 hours. It will concentrate into a distilled form of liquid beef. Press the meat and liquid through a strainer. Save this liquid. Toss the beef as the nourishment has been taken from it and imparted into the water, the liquid beef, the beef tea, the beef juice.

Prepared according to this method, when cool the liquid solidifies into a thick gelatin. Sip slowly about 1 - 2 tablespoons per day of this super chewing the liquid so the saliva enzymes mix with the liquid beef.

It is wonderful to sip when you are recovering from surgery or an illness and gives immediate strength. Liquid beef keeps up to 3 days refrigerated. The French call this method a restoran. It means to restore; the origin of the word restaurant; a place for weary road travelers to restore themselves for their journey and they might have partaken a small sip of beef juice to give them added strength.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Cow Tea is most likely a reference to 午後ティー (gogo, or "afternoon" tea), an actual brand name. For those of you keeping score at home, there is all of a single stroke's difference between the two spellings. Or maybe you just need to clean your monitor :v:

Well that's the mystery solved, I guess. After who knows how many hours I was getting close to the end and was a few pixels off :( I can't even blame the quality of the scans. I just saw "cow" and didn't even really think about it or double check it. It's probably not the worst mistake I've made though it might be the silliest. That is a very common word I've seen many times before and should have recognized.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 14, 2013

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Kumamiko Chapter 4
I also made some fixes to previous chapters. I'm not sure if the old links still work so here's updated ones: Chapter 1 Chapter 3

I made absolutely sure all instances of the word tea were properly translated this time. See? It's right there. Page 3. Barley tea. Of course, I still can't vouch for the accuracy of any other words. Also the first image is the cover of the magazine since it features Kumamiko and I thought some people might want to see it. There wasn't any place to put a translation so if you're wondering Machi is saying "I'm sick of the sticks".

As for the chapter itself this one begins Machi's epic quest to obtain the mystical Uniqlo HEATTECH (I'm pretty sure ALL CAPS is the correct way to write that)

Will chapter 5 be the shocking conclusion?

I know I said chapter 3 was my favorite but humor in this one grew on me a lot. Machi has absolutely no common sense at all.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Seki-kun chapters!

http://www.mangareader.net/tonari-no-seki-kun/38

"I like it! I shouldn't be praising him, but both the concepts and the movements are cute!"

Yokoi has never been so unabashedly enthusiastic about Seki's games. She's totally, totally fallen into his pace. :allears:

http://www.mangareader.net/tonari-no-seki-kun/39

And Seki-kun's little sister is equally amazing.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 20, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

JosephWongKS posted:

New Seki-kun chapters!

"I like it! I shouldn't be praising him, but both the concepts and the movements are cute!"

Yokoi has never been so unabashedly enthusiastic about Seki's games. She's totally, totally fallen into his pace. :allears:

What I liked about this one was seeing Yokoi actually become a casualty of his games for once. That just plain cracked me up it did. Usually it's her interfering with him because she can't resist!

JosephwongKS posted:

He's raising her to be a tiny little female Seki just like him!! :stonk:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JosephWongKS posted:

New Seki-kun chapters!

Oh boy, this series keeps being amazing with each new chapter. I totally wasn't expecting a new character to show up. :allears:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh boy, this series keeps being amazing with each new chapter. I totally wasn't expecting a new character to show up. :allears:

The only problem is figuring out a way for her to show up again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Devil Tesla posted:

The only problem is figuring out a way for her to show up again.

Easy, just make Yokoi and Seki a couple already. Sister-in-law hijinks guarateed :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

What I liked about this one was seeing Yokoi actually become a casualty of his games for once. That just plain cracked me up it did. Usually it's her interfering with him because she can't resist!

If one Seki can produce such wonders in class, imagine the antics that two Sekis could perform! :neckbeard:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Kumamiko Chapter 5

And that's it! That's all the chapters I've got. I only have up to September's issue so October's and maybe November's issues of the magazine it runs in are out, but I haven't seen them anywhere. If I find anymore chapters I'll see what I can do with them but that's all for now. Hope you guys enjoyed it. Maybe five or ten years from now when we're all watching the anime and it's a huge hit we can smugly post about how we liked it before it was cool :)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

:stare: Can you even pedal on that thing?

Best chapter. I was on the fence about this series, but this chapter made it a keeper.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:laffo: AHAHAHAHAHA

Machi: Natsu!... Help me, Natsu!!

*Natsu looks up heroically*

Natsu: My back is itchy. *scratches*

Oh man that blindsided me. Great gag.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Seki-kun!

http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/v03/c040/1.html

And now Yokoi has graduated to the stage where she's actively sacrificing her own interests to protect Seki-kun's games. :allears:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

DrSunshine posted:

Judging by the level of familiarity you'd expected between Seki and Yokoi, his little sister is a tiny little female Seki.:eng101:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JosephWongKS posted:

New Seki-kun!

http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/v03/c040/1.html

And now Yokoi has graduated to the stage where she's actively sacrificing her own interests to protect Seki-kun's games. :allears:

I loving love this series.

And we got the return of the best characters! The robot family :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's ridiculous how fresh the author manages to keep every chapter of Seki-kun considering how restrictive the premise is. I had a massive grin plastered on my face this entire chapter.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
New Flying Witch

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/207960/flying-witch_ch9_by_display-none

Last time any of this appeared on Batoto, it was a few chapters all at once so there may be more coming.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Nope, we're up to date now. And its a monthly oh boy.

Wish the scans were better.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The art in Flying Witch reminds me of something but I just can't place it.

Oh and off y'all haven't read it Makai no Ossan is now completely translated. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/makai-no-ossan-r8850

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/207960/flying-witch_ch9_by_display-none/17

Probably the greatest dog face I've ever seen.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
NEW SEKI KUN

Poor, poor Yokoi :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Missed a couple of chapters of Zai x 10: Chapter 4, Chapter 5

Last one is pretty weird. Still great but I don't think he's ever going to top the assassin chapter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Maeda is the best.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yet another new Seki-kun

There's some omake at the end, so presumably this is the last chapter of the volume.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blhue posted:

Yet another new Seki-kun

There's some omake at the end, so presumably this is the last chapter of the volume.

I was missing Goutou's shipping googles :allears:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm not sure if there's any manga I'm enjoying as much as Seki-kun right now. I always have the biggest grin on my face the whole way through, generally starting from the throw-away panel at the beginning.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The group that's been translating Seki-kun has been on a roll lately. So many wacky desktop hijinks to absorb. :allears:

Somehow the formula never manages to get old, just due to the sheer variety of inventive scenarios the author came up with for Seki to do and Yokoi to observe. If they do end up as a couple by the end (and they would be so very darling, wouldn't they?), I hope it's saved for the very last chapter, or the very last panel. Otherwise the formula is just magical!

EDIT: Just noticed the floofy thing Gotoh did with her hair at the very end. :3:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 24, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think they translate them as the volumes come out/they acquire them. So it might be a while before we get more if this volume just got released.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You know what's cool about this chapter? Her older sister appeared at the end of the chapter wearing a Vietnamese áo dài, a type of light traditional womens' dress. Points go to the author for worldly knowledge!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DrSunshine posted:

If they do end up as a couple by the end (and they would be so very darling, wouldn't they?), I hope it's saved for the very last chapter, or the very last panel.
The last chapter is the two of them trying to put on a wedding ceremony in the back row without the teacher noticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I clicked having no idea what to expect and I just burst out laughing for around a minute straight after glimpsing that face.

• Locked thread