Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Just took a look at a mod spotlight for Big Reactors. Looks like I'm going to have to squeeze another mod into my creaking build!

I find multiblock reactors like BR and AE reactors so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Gorfob posted:

Newest version has pipes and stuff again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wex07eUbcxA

Newest version also has taint again.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Light Gun Man posted:

Force fields are sort of an alternative to quarries. Set them up with the things that make them break blocks and place them into an attached chest, power it, watch as it beams a hole of your desired size/shape. :science:

You can also use this technique to copy floating islands from mystcraft worlds and then paste them into other dimensions!

Like MFFS force fields or something else?

Rutibex posted:

I dropped Buildcraft a while ago. I use mining Turtles instead of Quarries, they're cheaper and work just as well. No dumb power system to manage ether. I'm done with power in Minecraft, it's just so pointless all you end up using it for (besides making power generating infrastructure) is quarrying and macerating which I can do fine with Better Furnaces.

Turtles frankly should be the replacement for a lot of things, but by and large most players I know don't like them. Also most server admins seem to hate CC because its very simple to lag the whole server via intentional or unintentional bad program writing.

I guess being no more complicated then place block/s apply power and item tube is also a requirement for a replacement quarry.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 13, 2013

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Step 1: make incense
Step 2: put it in a burner and set it on fire
Step 3: watch as little nature sprites come and help your garden grow faster

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Mistress Mary, quite contrary,
how does your garden grow?
With incense smells and faerie belles
and so my garden grows.

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Clairetic posted:

Step 1: make incense
Step 2: put it in a burner and set it on fire
Step 3: watch as little nature sprites come and help your garden grow faster

how about some alternate 'incense' that can be burned for some other player buffs, also, some intense visuals for the sprites, would be nasty on the hunger bar....

edit: everyone looks like ZOMBIES AAARGH

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Erogenous Beef posted:

I'll also be entirely dumping BuildCraft power from Big Reactors as soon as possible.

Yes gooood.

Do you think you'll get a new BigReactors out before TE3 is released, or no?

e: If not, will you have retrogen?

Limerick fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 13, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

tonic316 posted:

Are they going to take away the cap for redstone energy cells with RF? And the cap of 100 using an energy tesserect? That was one thing I never liked about MJ was the 100mj cap in tesserects and trying to power forestry machines that would take a minimum amount of MJ but could take a lot more if it had access to it.

That has nothing to do with the fact that it used MJ, that was just a choice on the part of the developer. Tesseracts and energy cells will be very different in the new version, though.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Taffer posted:

That has nothing to do with the fact that it used MJ, that was just a choice on the part of the developer. Tesseracts and energy cells will be very different in the new version, though.

Yea if they can make it accept unlimited that would be cool. Then I could just run a huge line of engines instead of having to figure out how many engines divide into a tesserect evenly (if possible) so I am not wasting energy.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

thevortex- posted:

how about some alternate 'incense' that can be burned for some other player buffs, also, some intense visuals for the sprites, would be nasty on the hunger bar....

edit: everyone looks like ZOMBIES AAARGH

:lsd:

But actually, I'm trying to fix / make easier some of the things I hate about minecraft instead of repeating the same routine that X other mods already do.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

tonic316 posted:

Yea if they can make it accept unlimited that would be cool. Then I could just run a huge line of engines instead of having to figure out how many engines divide into a tesserect evenly (if possible) so I am not wasting energy.

You should try EnderIO's power storage and transmission.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

fondue posted:

Newest version also has taint again.

Is there a good modpack with this version in it now? Is this the latest one? I wouldn't need a ton of other mods, but I've been away long enough to lose track of the MC version required.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

meatsaw posted:

Is there a good modpack with this version in it now? Is this the latest one? I wouldn't need a ton of other mods, but I've been away long enough to lose track of the MC version required.

I think Luddite might be running it, but I'm not sure. I know we have taint. Not so much about pipes.

Edit: The title says TC3. Guess I'm just dumb.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

djw175 posted:

I think Luddite might be running it, but I'm not sure. I know we have taint. Not so much about pipes.

Luddite is Thaumcraft 4 now. We don't have pipes yet because I don't think Azanor has released that version yet.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

djw175 posted:

Luddite is also offline right now while the server gets rebuilt. The modpack should be accessible later this evening.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

In addition to luddite, I have it on my pack/server Progress.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Limerick posted:

Yes gooood.

Do you think you'll get a new BigReactors out before TE3 is released, or no?

e: If not, will you have retrogen?

Retrogen has been in since day 1 and will continue to be in. You can thank Shukaro, he helped me out with that.

I'm abroad this week for work (AGAIN). Provided life doesn't poo poo in my Cheerios (AGAIN), I'm aiming for a full 0.2 release by the end of the month for 1.6.4.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

tonic316 posted:

Are they going to take away the cap for redstone energy cells with RF? And the cap of 100 using an energy tesserect? That was one thing I never liked about MJ was the 100mj cap in tesserects and trying to power forestry machines that would take a minimum amount of MJ but could take a lot more if it had access to it.

The Tesseract cap is gone, yes. They only move RF, however. There's no good way for them to accept MJ and function how they do. Conduits will auto-convert from RF to MJ.

Energy cells are tiered now, so the transfer rates are 80/400/2000/10000 respectively, or 8/40/200/1000 in MJ.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

KingLemming posted:

The Tesseract cap is gone, yes. They only move RF, however. There's no good way for them to accept MJ and function how they do. Conduits will auto-convert from RF to MJ.

Energy cells are tiered now, so the transfer rates are 80/400/2000/10000 respectively, or 8/40/200/1000 in MJ.

Fantastic!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for. The power source doesn't matter. As long as all the machines work with RF this will be awesome.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

meatsaw posted:

I've been maintaining a pack with it as well. (I haven't got the latest update in yet, but that will go in sometime today.) I've also been running a server with that pack on it, but it's been private only for a couple friends.

At least Thaumcraft 4 contains a way to combat taint, even if it is expensive and (intended to be) single-use. (It's a plant made from shimmerleaf that is supposed to revert to shimmerleaf when you break it, but Thaumic Tinkerer's dislocation focus can pick it up and re-place it.)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PiCroft posted:

Just took a look at a mod spotlight for Big Reactors. Looks like I'm going to have to squeeze another mod into my creaking build!

I find multiblock reactors like BR and AE reactors so cool.
BR is pretty solid as far as I know. There might be some esoteric bugs, but I didn't find them while tinkering with it unlike atomic science's bugs. There seems to be one ideal reactor design and it scaled to chunk size (16x16) 30 block tall reactors just fine. It's also reasonably balanced, although if you can make one early game it's pretty much infinite early game power. Late game yellorium becomes an issue unless you are a quarry tycoon, but even then I think something like multiple MFR laser drills might be out of reach if you do solely big reactor power unless you are doing multiple quarries or maybe some quarriesPlus or computercraft turtle stuff. For powering everything else, like an AE network and all the machines at your base, big reactors is solid.

The only thing that's a little weird is if you design a reactor that's 5x5 with a 1 or 2 tall center and surround it with water blocks it puts out like 0.2mj/t. It uses fuel extremely slow, but it's a little unexpected considering how much power it would put out with a slightly different design. If you elongate it and put a second column or make it a few blocks taller it will put out the expected amount of power and consume fuel at a faster rate.

Atomic Science can kind of be cheated by using a 1x1 railcraft boiler to power its turbines. It also generates steam in a really unintuitive, and probably unintended, way that makes one reactor more powerful than 30 were intended to be. The multiblocks have a bunch of display issues and function like a single block, it's possible to crash servers with particle accelerators, and there's a few other bugs like that.

I think atomic science reactors are cool anyway.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 13, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have a "everything and the kitchen sink" mod pack that was popular back in 1.5.2 Progress seems close but I feel like it's missing a couple of things (Chocobo's, Thaumic Tinker, Ars Magica 2)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Is Ars Magica 2 still buggy and broken/causing heavy lag, or is it better in the more recent updates? (Also can it retro-gen those little pools of liquid it needs to get started? I'm considering adding it to my modpack but I don't want to have to restart the world.)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

m2pt5 posted:

Is Ars Magica 2 still buggy and broken/causing heavy lag, or is it better in the more recent updates? (Also can it retro-gen those little pools of liquid it needs to get started? I'm considering adding it to my modpack but I don't want to have to restart the world.)

It has retrogen but when i tried it, it murdered my save. Backup!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I found a new group of friends to play Minecraft with and we've done the vanilla thing for a little while now. It's time for mods. I've tinkered with stuff- mostly the minimap mods- but never anything too advanced. I love the Yogscast videos and recommended a few mods for them to start with, but can anyone just toss me a few simple mod ideas for us to cut our teeth on?

Edit: And I mean really simple. I don't want a full Tekkit assembly line here, or anything I need to keep a wiki open to understand, just a few things to keep the game interesting. New mobs and gear and such is a plus.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 13, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Cerevisiae posted:

Luddite is Thaumcraft 4 now. We don't have pipes yet because I don't think Azanor has released that version yet.

It's out. 404c has the pipes, centrifuge, infusion enchantment, changed wand core recipes, and salis mundus.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Clairetic posted:

But actually, I'm trying to fix / make easier some of the things I hate about minecraft instead of repeating the same routine that X other mods already do.
Bless you for this. For all the far-reaching and overly-complex mods out there, I really think Minecraft is in dire need of some quality of life improvements.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

KingLemming posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question: does this mean you can go from a BC engine -> energy conduits -> Tesseract, but not BC engine -> BC energy pipe -> Tesseract?

Also, are there tiered Energy Conduits (or do they no longer require obsidion)?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

EvilHawk posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question: does this mean you can go from a BC engine -> energy conduits -> Tesseract, but not BC engine -> BC energy pipe -> Tesseract?

Also, are there tiered Energy Conduits (or do they no longer require obsidion)?

No, nothing in TE accepts MJ. This includes conduits. RF only. Conduits are able to output to MJ receptors, however.

The first tier of Energy Conduit only requires glass.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hagop posted:

Like MFFS force fields or something else?

I believe those are the ones. The ones that are red when off and blue when on. I get the force field mods mixed up sometimes.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

KingLemming posted:

No, nothing in TE accepts MJ. This includes conduits. RF only. Conduits are able to output to MJ receptors, however.

Is this for clean cut purposes or is building a thing that accepts MJ into the RF system(RF net?) hard?

Light Gun Man posted:

I believe those are the ones. The ones that are red when off and blue when on. I get the force field mods mixed up sometimes.

Is this the stuff

http://universalelectricity.com/mffs

Hagop fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 13, 2013

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I want to set up a server for a couple friends that runs the mods in the FTB Unleashed pack but alongside Thaumcraft 4 instead of 3. I know that the FTB modpack runs on Minecraft 1.59 and Thaumcraft 4 only runs on 1.6.

My question is, does anybody know of any technic platform pack that includes Thaumcraft 4 and a a lot of Tekkit style industry mods? If there isn't one, can I just throw a bunch of mods in the server directory with Thaumcraft 4 and expect it to work?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

KingLemming posted:

Ah right, that makes sense. I never really use BC engines anyway. Have you managed to make it so you can output and input on the same conduit?

Also, do we know if MineFactory Reloaded bioreactors (if it gets updated) will be able to output RF?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I want to set up a server for a couple friends that runs the mods in the FTB Unleashed pack but alongside Thaumcraft 4 instead of 3. I know that the FTB modpack runs on Minecraft 1.59 and Thaumcraft 4 only runs on 1.6.

My question is, does anybody know of any technic platform pack that includes Thaumcraft 4 and a a lot of Tekkit style industry mods? If there isn't one, can I just throw a bunch of mods in the server directory with Thaumcraft 4 and expect it to work?

If you're looking for a specific set of mods, chances are you won't be able to find a pack that has all the exact things you want, which means you'd have to make your own. But if you're running a server and have never made a pack before this probably isn't the best idea. It's really really easy to break a modded server.

On the other hand, it's also a mess to use someone else's pack on a server because unexpected updates could easily break things. So in the end it's probably best if you make your own, but it will be a learning process.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

New Leaf posted:

I found a new group of friends to play Minecraft with and we've done the vanilla thing for a little while now. It's time for mods. I've tinkered with stuff- mostly the minimap mods- but never anything too advanced. I love the Yogscast videos and recommended a few mods for them to start with, but can anyone just toss me a few simple mod ideas for us to cut our teeth on?

Edit: And I mean really simple. I don't want a full Tekkit assembly line here, or anything I need to keep a wiki open to understand, just a few things to keep the game interesting. New mobs and gear and such is a plus.

Biomes o Plenty is like playing minecraft2. It adds a lot of interesting overworld to explore, where as with vanilla you see the 4 or 5 built in biomes and are done moving around for good.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

EvilHawk posted:

Ah right, that makes sense. I never really use BC engines anyway. Have you managed to make it so you can output and input on the same conduit?

Also, do we know if MineFactory Reloaded bioreactors (if it gets updated) will be able to output RF?

Conduits are sided*, so yes. However, due to how I'm expecting RF to work, things shouldn't both send and receive on the same side. :P Cells are also sided.

*Yes, this breaks compat w/ immibis' micro. We'll get around to a facade-style system in 3.1.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I've been messing around with Tinker's Construct and the big smeltery and for some reason, I can smelt pulverized tin, but not pulverized iron.

Its also a shame I can't smelt ores from other mods, like Cinnabar and Osmium, because its a really cool way to stretch ores in a manner that doesn't require me to set up a power system and pulverizer.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Biomes o Plenty is like playing minecraft2. It adds a lot of interesting overworld to explore, where as with vanilla you see the 4 or 5 built in biomes and are done moving around for good.

My major problem with BoP is that it's annoying as all hell to find a decent flat-ish biome in which to build a main base. I like huge cliffs and uneven terrain as much as anybody, but I'd like a place to settle that isn't so goddamn busy all the time

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Khorne posted:

There seems to be one ideal reactor design and it scaled to chunk size (16x16) 30 block tall reactors just fine. It's also reasonably balanced, although if you can make one early game it's pretty much infinite early game power. Late game yellorium becomes an issue unless you are a quarry tycoon, but even then I think something like multiple MFR laser drills might be out of reach if you do solely big reactor power unless you are doing multiple quarries or maybe some quarriesPlus or computercraft turtle stuff. For powering everything else, like an AE network and all the machines at your base, big reactors is solid.

The only thing that's a little weird is if you design a reactor that's 5x5 with a 1 or 2 tall center and surround it with water blocks it puts out like 0.2mj/t. It uses fuel extremely slow, but it's a little unexpected considering how much power it would put out with a slightly different design. If you elongate it and put a second column or make it a few blocks taller it will put out the expected amount of power and consume fuel at a faster rate.

I'll take a look into that latter case, that's a bit weird. The fuel usage is due to heat; higher heat = faster fuel usage and also less power per unit of fuel used. Generally, the higher heat's higher instant power output makes up for it.

Tools (blocks, etc.) for managing heat and changing internal reactor dynamics will be coming in 0.3 and above. The planned coolant system will let you squeeze far more power out of your reactor, provided you want to get spergy with pipes and stuff. There'll also eventually be better ways to reprocess or breed spent fuel back into usable fuel. Tools for changing internal reactor dynamics should also help fix the "one best design" problem; I'd prefer there to be tradeoffs and choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Erogenous Beef posted:

I'll take a look into that latter case, that's a bit weird. The fuel usage is due to heat; higher heat = faster fuel usage and also less power per unit of fuel used. Generally, the higher heat's higher instant power output makes up for it.

Tools (blocks, etc.) for managing heat and changing internal reactor dynamics will be coming in 0.3 and above. The planned coolant system will let you squeeze far more power out of your reactor, provided you want to get spergy with pipes and stuff. There'll also eventually be better ways to reprocess or breed spent fuel back into usable fuel. Tools for changing internal reactor dynamics should also help fix the "one best design" problem; I'd prefer there to be tradeoffs and choices.

Suggestion for your coolants - go through the Fluid Registry and find anything with some sort of "low" temperature. Add that. :)

(Cryotheum's temp is 50 btw; that's in Kelvin)

• Locked thread