Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

folytopo posted:

I know the ashpodel dominion kills population but only slowly. How did it feel in a long game? Seems like you still wan gold for pan's and centaurs.

I had 1540 pop left in my cap by turn 68. It's a great excuse to take turmoil, got two artifacts from events too. It doesn't have a big impact at the beginning of the game, when you need the gold the most. You don't have to buy many troops, I only bought 300 or so centaurs over the whole game, so you can spend more on mages. Most important thing ofcourse is wether you get enough gold to keep up with research. You'd have to ask iod for those graphs.

folytopo posted:

They are invulnerable, etheral,blood vengeance, innate spell casters that have an instant kill attack in addition to the rest of their awesome stuff. They are immune to normal troops. High but not insurmountable MR means that it can still be killed. A lot of it's defense is neutralized by magic weapons. So it is scary and annoying and hard to pin down on a strategic map level and you need something specially tailored to kill it.

They're true ethereal, so magic weapons and non-astral spells have a 75% chance of doing nothing. They also have damage reversal +1 instead of blood vengeance, so if you don't pass the mr roll they're not hurt. You're going to need a lot off astral mages to kill one! Also that's their second shape. They have a tartarian first shape. Also there are three of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Fleur Bleu posted:

You'd have to ask iod for those graphs.

I'll post it if anyone's really interested, but the short version is you were in the lead from ~turn 20 on. C'tis was sticking close to you until R'lyeh hit his cap, then he fell off in a big way. I closed the gap for a while around the time of Vanarus' final death, but my gains slowed after ~five turns of that for reasons I don't even remember. Probably that was when my income was no longer outpacing my upkeep so I couldn't keep recruiting new mages, but I'm not certain on the timeline. There was no point in the game after like turn ten where you weren't decisively in the lead. The only measure you lagged on for a while was gem income (me and Ermor tied for first place until you took my stuff), and you saw how much good that did us.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fleur Bleu posted:

They're true ethereal, so magic weapons and non-astral spells have a 75% chance of doing nothing. They also have damage reversal +1 instead of blood vengeance, so if you don't pass the mr roll they're not hurt. You're going to need a lot off astral mages to kill one! Also that's their second shape. They have a tartarian first shape. Also there are three of them.

Jesus, well now I need to start an Agartha game just to fool around with these guys, they sound wonderful.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Are those released things actually under the control of Agartha, or will they just rampage around in a random fashion?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rampagers

also

New, hero, horror mark included, for EA.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

AtomikKrab posted:

New, hero, horror mark included, for EA.

Theres a few other new heroes too, during a test game when I was looking at the summons I go another closed council member. I imagine there's a handful of them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Lilli posted:

Theres a few other new heroes too, during a test game when I was looking at the summons I go another closed council member. I imagine there's a handful of them.

Interesting.

Likely MA got at least 1 new hero, and LA maybe got some more being that they in 3 had 0 LA heros.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
One of the EA ones is Moss Agate with e4n2w1 if I remember correctly.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Finally got around to picking this up, can't wait to suck and die horribly.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Can any Dominions modding experts tell me if it is possible to make an All Agartha mod (where every nation is Agartha)? Because I will totally put an All Agartha game up if that is feasible.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

brainwrinkle posted:

Can any Dominions modding experts tell me if it is possible to make an All Agartha mod (where every nation is Agartha)? Because I will totally put an All Agartha game up if that is feasible.

The only possible end result of this is everyone huddling in their fortresses, fearful, because everyone decided to break their seals and now the monstrosities rule the land.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Do it, LP it :allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

gently caress you, NO, gently caress... YOU!

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

brainwrinkle posted:

I think it is possible. People had all MA Ulm or only markata games in the past. There are few hurdles you have to go through (make every nation a different flag, otherwise the map gets really confusing) and you need to create copies of the national heroes for each nation.

People on IrC should help you get started.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure of this but I think you could also play on a modded map that has those seal sites sprinkled in. And I think those too could perhaps be broken. Maximum brakage.

Burnsaber fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 14, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mod the seal breaking spell to 0 research, 1 gem and castable by earth readers.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is there any way to counter/reverse a seal breaking ritual?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Pierzak posted:

Is there any way to counter/reverse a seal breaking ritual?

Kill Agartha before he gets to Alt 9.

(there isn't, but it has one-time benefits only so if you go kill the rampaging god and take down agartha's new army you'll have effectively countered it)

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Im not sure what drives the gods, i summoned them in an SP game and 2 of them just sat on the throne of splendour for ages not moving at all, then one of them disappeered somewhere else and the other sat on the throne eating whatever i threw at it so i have no idea how really active they are. I put up the eyes of god and even then i could see much activity.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LordLeckie posted:

Im not sure what drives the gods, i summoned them in an SP game and 2 of them just sat on the throne of splendour for ages not moving at all, then one of them disappeered somewhere else and the other sat on the throne eating whatever i threw at it so i have no idea how really active they are. I put up the eyes of god and even then i could see much activity.

Do they have a bunch of insanity/shattered soul? If so they're probably just wasting a bunch of turns doing little to nothing.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Do they have a bunch of insanity/shattered soul? If so they're probably just wasting a bunch of turns doing little to nothing.

No i havent seen shattered soul on them or insanity either, some have had afflictions but that may have come from fighting various indies im willing to bet the ones i encountered got dementia/disease from the level 3 throne they fought or perhaps had the afflictions carry over from their tartarian form.

Either way we probably need a tiny bit more testing.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It could be AI behaviour was changed to prioritize thrones, and since roaming indeps technically belong to AI "indep" nations it ends up they just sit. Something to watch out for I guess.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah that was my thinking i mean they are gods after all so it would make sense for them to go for the thrones.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It'd be fun if they actually claimed thrones and had a siege bonus for cracking forts.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Well, Agratha got the big update which is nice for Cello but it's a bit bittersweeet, since all my old earth readers still have the crappier stats, yet now cost the new upkeep calculated from 185. :doh:

Still, I can't really complain and it'll be interesting to see how the new options influence my strategy!

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

LordLeckie posted:

When I cracked it in SP I only got a single titan. He died to the (pen)umbral horde, then the second form as well. Killed most of the horde first, though. Never saw the other two titans at all.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Here's a new Argatha hero

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does Agartha have any new MA and LA heros?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
So what are some of the better things to wish for aside from gems and magic power? Got a screw around game going where I'm sweeping back the AI with tartarian monsters and other such things.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Armageddon (or The End of the World)
Death
Chayot
Virgins
Power or Strength
Magic Power
(Some of the pretender chassis have worthwhile abilities)
Unique items & unforgable items

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

So what are some of the better things to wish for aside from gems and magic power? Got a screw around game going where I'm sweeping back the AI with tartarian monsters and other such things.
Grand Lemur (Lemur's immortal and pretty excellent mages) and Chayot (look swish, have high paths in anything you want, you just change shape).

Something to note about wishing for units/commanders - if there are several of the same name, it picks the lowest in the list. So for example, wishing for a Demon Lord will get you the one that kills about a billion population a turn. Protip: do not wish for them in your cap.

Also, things you wish for always come as units rather than commanders, so you need to GoR/I want to say Divine Name? (Astral Thaum ritual that is GoR but for everything, including mindless units) them to get the most out of most wish targets.

Charez
May 10, 2013
What order/turmoil scale do you guys usually use for EA/MA Pangaea?

I always pick order 1 so I can have a few hundred maenads to crush walls and defend my own, but I almost never use them in direct combat and I don't want so many of them that supply becomes hard to manage. I've never tried turmoil + mass buffs, is it any good?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Speleothing posted:

Armageddon (or The End of the World)
Death
Chayot
Virgins
Power or Strength
Magic Power
(Some of the pretender chassis have worthwhile abilities)
Unique items & unforgable items

Don't be rude.

The best thing to wish for have always been gems (Well, it used to be the chalice in vanilla, but dom4 changed that). People like wishing for chassis but that's pretty expensive and the only situation where I'd recommend it is if you are trying to break into a certain path somehow for a very good reason. Blood slaves is pretty decent if you're just looking to transmute pearls to slaves. Armageddon can be good if you're actively trying to ruin blood hunting or if you can survive without gold income and/or your mages have enough HP that they wont die to armageddon. Other than that wish really is just a vanity play.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 17, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ah come on, everybody has to do that one at least once.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Armageddon, BoT, or Utterdark just means its time to blast out through the canopy and let the AI deal with it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm still trying to rack my brains to find a low level magic counter to B9. So far, I've found sleep clould/earth meld/false fetters to be an okay counter. There's always arrows, but that's not really hard to counter imho.

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

amuayse posted:

I'm still trying to rack my brains to find a low level magic counter to B9. So far, I've found sleep clould/earth meld/false fetters to be an okay counter. There's always arrows, but that's not really hard to counter imho.

Skelespam works nicely imo. Skellies vs cheap sacreds is still a great tradeoff (even for flagellents) and you've got no risk of misfiring.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It would, but one problem I see about using skellies is that if there are sacreds there are probably priests too. I guess if they have quickness and you're just trying to fatigue them to death, it wouldn't be too much a problem.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

I'm still trying to rack my brains to find a low level magic counter to B9.
Kill every priest :v:

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

amuayse posted:

It would, but one problem I see about using skellies is that if there are sacreds there are probably priests too. I guess if they have quickness and you're just trying to fatigue them to death, it wouldn't be too much a problem.

Another option is that trampling doesn't trigger blood vengeance. You can grab a few elephants/earth elementals/minotaurs and smash everything up. That's probably even better, since they can't shoot at your elephants without firing into their own BV, which causes double friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

HottiePippen posted:

Another option is that trampling doesn't trigger blood vengeance. You can grab a few elephants/earth elementals/minotaurs and smash everything up. That's probably even better, since they can't shoot at your elephants without firing into their own BV, which causes double friendly fire.

Jags vs elephants is no contest. Good defense and secondshape will gently caress your tramplers up. Might work against flagellants if they don't have enough; if they do, you are dealing with a pile of 10g human sized guys with flails and +4 strength and they will cut your poo poo to ribbons once your tramplers get into the melee.

Add in the likely fire bless and it gets worse.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 18, 2013

• Locked thread