Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

This was pretty fun

We disassemble the HDDs that we can't DBAN, means we have a shitload of rare earth magnets to play with. Handy for disabling the door alarms when I'm moving carts in and out and have to brace the door open.. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KillHour posted:

Were you going to shoot the drive, or shoot at the drive? Please say the former. :allears:

Shoot at, I don't own a cannon.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

KillHour posted:

Were you going to shoot the drive, or shoot at the drive? Please say the former. :allears:

Both :colbert:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Retire a printer that way. Videotape it. Post the video.

Take the toner out first

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Shoot at, I don't own a cannon.

Step 1, build a trebuchet...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

sfwarlock posted:

Step 1, build a trebuchet...

There's even a how-to guide.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

ElGroucho posted:

I hate that most people at my company use Visio like a suped-up PowerPoint and still think they deserve a license.

All the coaches here use nothing but visio for their football plays.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I am now imagining how you would modify a clay pigeon launcher to take hard drives.

I suggested taking old drives to a shooting range one day to my boss. He felt the danger of a ricochet or a fragment coming back from one of the drives was too big a risk. We use a drill press for this job instead.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

coyo7e posted:

We disassemble the HDDs that we can't DBAN, means we have a shitload of rare earth magnets to play with. Handy for disabling the door alarms when I'm moving carts in and out and have to brace the door open.. ;)

We have the HIPAA, so IT gutted a few hundred (or more) drives last year; when they were tossing a pile of old casings/circuitboards, I asked about the magnets, and they'd kept some for themselves and heaved the rest. :argh::hf::smith:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I write 0's to all my to-be-disposed of drives then take them apart to harvest the platters and magnets. The magnets are super useful at work, at home, and given to friends and family, and the platters make for a rad art installation. I've got a pile of about 60 platters now I might put on a wall when I move into my new place this week. So shiny. :swoon:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

nitrogen posted:

My employer refuses to do this for any of our datacenters, and we have over 100x that number of servers. And we also block outgoing udp/123 by default, too. I've commonly noticed our inhouse stratum 2 servers poo poo themselves for 5-10 days when the connection to one of our upstream time sources ate itself or changed, and nobody noticed until we build something that won't sync.

EDIT: I also love your avatar.

You need some GPS loving in there; I'm building shortly 2x Raspberry Pi with GPS addon for NTP; cost like 200 quid or some poo poo.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

porktree posted:

Even before we had to limit the ERP admin rights to one person because of SOX, the private auditors would have flagged anyone having that kind of access to the ERP system as serious security issue. I mean, hey, let me create a bill and pay it, or order goods and mark it paid or any other thing. Let alone doing some admin crap with the concurrent managers or fuxoring with the value sets.
I just counted this earlier; I have 5 emails in my CYA folder that make pretty much that same argument to various people. None of them cared, but eventually I imagine they are going to try and claim they never knew the risks.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

deimos posted:

Not sure if sarcastic or just sleep deprived. Either way :bravo:.

Sarcasm. In our scenario:

The node went down until it failed over in VMware to a new host.

The node came back up and said it was replicating. The health reports were good, logs were good, and we tested a few shares to make sure that they were still replicating to the other nodes.

The DFSR service died on the node that bounced, and reports trickled in that the other nodes weren't receiving files. Health reports were still good (all three nodes), logs were good (all three), but files wouldn't sync.

Restarted DFSR on the bounced node, all hell breaks loose.

Now, it was that node that was the troublesome one, but with all signs originally pointing to A-OK post-failure, what's an Admin to do? We'd have to had known that this problem would have happened a week later, before we decided to remove the node from the cluster.

Ok, maybe we should remove a node every time they reboot? Seriously? Is DFS that fragile?

Ok, maybe we should remove a node every time it acts funny. Then why do the health reports and logs say everything's fine? Is DFS reporting/logging that awful?

Ok, let's assume that DFS is that fragile, and the reporting/logging is that awful. Then why hasn't Redmond been burned to a cinder yet over such a crap-rear end product that's been a feature of Windows NT/20xx for over a decade?

:edit:

At this point our operational stance is do not trust VMWare failover. If an ESX host dies during production, all affected servers will be rebooted immediately after HA services say the host is back online.

That's no way to run a datacenter, but I'm honestly at a loss as to what else we can do - shy of dumping DFS altogether.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 14, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a surprise yearly review came in today. I think you all can guess how that went. On the plus(?) side, not fired.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

blackswordca posted:

So a surprise yearly review came in today. I think you all can guess how that went. On the plus(?) side, not fired.

At this point I'd be telling my supervisor that I've got an annual review for him and the company as well and start listing all the things that the company is demonstrating inadequate proficiency or lack thereof.

Actually, save it for when you hand in your notice and tell them they have two weeks to improve their performance or you'll be forced to let them go, then at the end of those two weeks express how saddened you are that they failed to take the opportunity to make the necessary improvements, then walk out the door with a grin on your face. Make no mention of the new job - it'll be epic when they realize how serious you were about firing them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Varkk posted:

I am now imagining how you would modify a clay pigeon launcher to take hard drives.

Actually that did go through my mind as well.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Daylen Drazzi posted:

At this point I'd be telling my supervisor that I've got an annual review for him and the company as well and start listing all the things that the company is demonstrating inadequate proficiency or lack thereof.

Actually, save it for when you hand in your notice and tell them they have two weeks to improve their performance or you'll be forced to let them go, then at the end of those two weeks express how saddened you are that they failed to take the opportunity to make the necessary improvements, then walk out the door with a grin on your face. Make no mention of the new job - it'll be epic when they realize how serious you were about firing them.

Its kind of funny.. the only time I hear about how terrible I am is review time, the rest of the time its either nothing or "fine".

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nzspambot posted:

You need some GPS loving in there; I'm building shortly 2x Raspberry Pi with GPS addon for NTP; cost like 200 quid or some poo poo.

Should be much less than that. USB GPS for stratum 1 servers were dime a dozen with some Microsoft mapping thing and they're all over eBay for $10 each.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

coyo7e posted:

Rare earth magnets from hard drives are great for building homebrewing equipment. I need to scrap a drive sometime to get one.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got about a dozen of them stuck to my CO2 tank just waiting to be used for whatever. Maybe a stir plate :iiam:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Not a ticket, but it might be relevant.

Saw this on Reddit.

reddit.com/r/sysadmin posted:

I'm offering my Powershell intro course for free for the month of November. Just use the coupon code INTRO_FREE. http://www.udemy.com/powershellbeginner

I signed up and it looks pretty legit.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Crowley posted:

Today I learned that you can sell out of coupon codes, WTF.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Spudalicious posted:

Have you ever had to watch someone very old enter a 12 character password thats alphanumericsymbolic, on an iPad keyboard? If not I encourage you to set your iPad password and have the kids make Grandpa do it every time they want to use it. They will learn patience. I would normally call this a great training opportunity for a new student tech...but we are all senior techs. Time to hire a student I guess.

One of my guys counted 22 times he had to re-enter his password for imap...then another 14 for smtp. ARGGHH
Oh god, nothing worse than hanging about while slow people operate their computer.

It reminds me of this old developer guy we once had working here. I had to instruct him how to run a command from the command prompt in Windows, and he typed the command plus a long file path with one finger (not even two fingers pecking), and was unaware of tab completion. HNNNNNNNNNNNNGG.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Casull posted:

If the codes are generated and whitelisted (or have an absurdly small working space) and the reseller doesn't have a direct or autonomous line to the manufacturer's code generator this isn't even hard. Happens on gift cards and games services every so often.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Sarcasm. In our scenario:

The node went down until it failed over in VMware to a new host.

The node came back up and said it was replicating. The health reports were good, logs were good, and we tested a few shares to make sure that they were still replicating to the other nodes.

The DFSR service died on the node that bounced, and reports trickled in that the other nodes weren't receiving files. Health reports were still good (all three nodes), logs were good (all three), but files wouldn't sync.

Restarted DFSR on the bounced node, all hell breaks loose.

Now, it was that node that was the troublesome one, but with all signs originally pointing to A-OK post-failure, what's an Admin to do? We'd have to had known that this problem would have happened a week later, before we decided to remove the node from the cluster.

Ok, maybe we should remove a node every time they reboot? Seriously? Is DFS that fragile?

Ok, maybe we should remove a node every time it acts funny. Then why do the health reports and logs say everything's fine? Is DFS reporting/logging that awful?

Ok, let's assume that DFS is that fragile, and the reporting/logging is that awful. Then why hasn't Redmond been burned to a cinder yet over such a crap-rear end product that's been a feature of Windows NT/20xx for over a decade?

:edit:

At this point our operational stance is do not trust VMWare failover. If an ESX host dies during production, all affected servers will be rebooted immediately after HA services say the host is back online.

That's no way to run a datacenter, but I'm honestly at a loss as to what else we can do - shy of dumping DFS altogether.

While I understand your WTF at DFS. I am wondering why you are running high available clustering (DFS) on high available clustering (VMware failover)? I don't do datacentre level stuff, so I could just be missing something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Casull posted:

You realize that there's an upper limit on how many people he can teach, right?

It's a promo code, and he's smart to have a limit.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

KennyTheFish posted:

While I understand your WTF at DFS. I am wondering why you are running high available clustering (DFS) on high available clustering (VMware failover)? I don't do datacentre level stuff, so I could just be missing something.

VMWare failover is for on-site host failover.

DFS is for site-to-site failover.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Crowley posted:

Not a ticket, but it might be relevant.

Saw this on Reddit.

For anyone who tried to sign up for this and found out the coupon was sold out, he created another coupon code this morning for 500 students, the code is REDDIT. Thanks for posting this, I might add - been wanting to learn powershell.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

J posted:

For anyone who tried to sign up for this and found out the coupon was sold out, he created another coupon code this morning for 500 students, the code is REDDIT. Thanks for posting this, I might add - been wanting to learn powershell.

Thanks, that one worked for me just now.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

A DNS ticket came in

quote:

I am requesting from you to give us access to our domain $SITE, would you please advise diligently?

It's no please do the needful, but it's close.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FISHMANPET posted:

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month is when WWI ended. Here in :911: we call it Veteran's Day and it's for all Veterans but I'd guess quite a bit of Europe still remembers WWI specifically.

It's the rest of the world's equivalent to the :911: Memorial Day in May. Why we Americans don't mourn the dead soldiers on the same day as the rest of the world and thank the living ones in May, I don't know. I looked it up; apparently Memorial Day began in 1865 re: the Civil War. So we're still weird and different, but for once it's because we were first.

Europe remembers WWI specifically because a solid tenth or so of Europeans were killed in it. More soldiers died in the siege of Verdun, a single 9-month battle, than in the entire American Civil War. There's a reason they called it the Great War.

Amusing anecdote: My aunt's birthday is 11/11, and she used to work at a bank; once my mom took her shopping on her birthday, and they needed to go to the bank for some reason, only to find it closed, because it was a bank holiday. Which is the reason my aunt was off work and able to go shopping.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 14, 2013

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
In Germany November 11th 11:11 is the official start of Carnival season. :colbert:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
There are some really stupid insignificant things that can piss me off for no real reason. Today I saw one I hadn't seen in years and had forgot about. Instead of the mouse cursor tuning into an hourglass, it turned into a running red horse in explorer or a spinning barber pole in outlook.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Welp, DFS hosed me again.

Trying to replicate User folders, started replicating AppData on one user's folder. Crashed.

Removed node. Waited for config to rep. Re-added node with a "good" node as master. All hell is breaking loose again.

Thank god for "DFSRPrivate/Conflict and Deleted". I'd be fired without it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
"Hey [nitrogen] did you break the visio for $BIGCUSTOMER? I think you were the last to write to it and now i cant open it!"

Well gently caress.

I start to open it and it sits there.
and it sits there.

So i go and check out big it is. It's 4gb. FOUR loving GIGABYTYES.
I added two servers to it and it grew from about 200mb to FOUR GIGABYTES.

Turns out someone else wrote to it before I did, but i'll be hosed if I know whats wrong with it. I could have easily hosed it up and not known because, well, gently caress visio.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

J posted:

Coupon code reddit is sold out, site says only 290 are signed up.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 14, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

luminalflux posted:

A DNS ticket came in

quote:

I am requesting from you to give us access to our domain $SITE, would you please advise diligently?

It's no please do the needful, but it's close.

I'd advise him not to go to the Biograph on the 22nd...

Oh, wait, that's "Dillinger". Never mind.

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 14, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So an email came in:

The office I work at is getting a new internet line run. We received an email with the updated package information including new IPs so I forwarded them to the account lead, senior tech and the owners. About an hour later I get an email back from one of the owners telling the account lead to contact the ISP and let them know that the IP shouldn't be changing as it will break multiple applications that connect with government databases.

I then get an email from the account lead saying since I've been dealing with the contractors I should get this cleared up with the ISP. So far my dealings with the contractors have been letting them in the server room and hanging around so they don't steal anything.

As it stands now, the IP is scheduled to be changed Monday. The ISP is Bell so I have no idea if this is going to be fixed by then or the launch of the new service will be put on hold.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in:

The office I work at is getting a new internet line run. We received an email with the updated package information including new IPs so I forwarded them to the account lead, senior tech and the owners. About an hour later I get an email back from one of the owners telling the account lead to contact the ISP and let them know that the IP shouldn't be changing as it will break multiple applications that connect with government databases.

I then get an email from the account lead saying since I've been dealing with the contractors I should get this cleared up with the ISP. So far my dealings with the contractors have been letting them in the server room and hanging around so they don't steal anything.

As it stands now, the IP is scheduled to be changed Monday. The ISP is Bell so I have no idea if this is going to be fixed by then or the launch of the new service will be put on hold.

Here's what you do. Make sure you follow this step by step.

Walk up to account lead and say "gently caress off, do your own job!"
If he says anything other than OK I will, punch him in the face.
Walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

At this point our operational stance is do not trust VMWare failover.

This is where high-availability architects make the monies.

Knowing which services to run on a VM that is vmotion-enabled, versus running them in a clustered set of VMs that are pegged to a host becomes an art form.

Similar to your situation and frustration, we had all kinds of nightmares with ScaleOut running in VMs - a VM would fail over to a new host and bring the whole grid crashing down. Every. Single. VM. would have to be rebooted. Not service restarted. Rebooted. Finally, we said fuckit- let the VM burn with the host.

A good rule of thumb: For a microsoft VM, no service that links itself to another server should live on a HA/vmotion-enabled VM. Nail that VM to an ESX host and let it go down with the host on an outage. This includes any failover clustering-based setup, any DFS setup, any grid-computing setup (like ScaleOut), any Microsoft Network Load Balanced setup.

Note that web servers behind hardware load balancers should also not be vMotion-ed, IMHO. If they flip to a different host, the momentary outage can disrupt sessions and cause it to fail a heartbeat that'll drop it from the VIP temporarily and you'll get member servers flapping in the pool.

vMotion/HA ESX stuff is great for single-instance servers that are not linked to anything else and can absorb the sub-second drop in availability. Prime candidates include DCs, AD servers, file servers, standalone web servers or app servers, etc.

• Locked thread