Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

im setting up an amazon ec2 linux vm just for fuckin around on erlang, seems like u can put it on osx but its clearly for a linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Socracheese posted:

im setting up an amazon ec2 linux vm just for fuckin around on erlang, seems like u can put it on osx but its clearly for a linux

It works fine on OSX and you can grab pre-built packages at https://www.erlang-solutions.com/downloads or you can build it from source with Wx and use some graphical apps like observer or whatever (the packages should work with it too, and it works on all platforms in general).

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Zlodo posted:

same
i can sort of do it when i do hosed up template poo poo in c++ but it doesnt seem very natural to me compared to imperative programming

on the other hand some people have the opposite problem where thing like i = i + 1 makes no sense to them so i dunno :shrug:

reinterpreting the distinction as functional v. destructive instead of functional v. imperative highlights that imperative is an optimization, with all caveats that entails

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Brain Candy posted:

reinterpreting the distinction as functional v. destructive instead of functional v. imperative highlights that imperative is an optimization, with all caveats that entails

plus the best quality C compiler (llvm) actually optimizes the other way, into SSA form, removing all destructive reassignments :getin:

edit: that's just in the intermediate representation though. the generated assembly code still works as usual

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

MononcQc posted:

It works fine on OSX and you can grab pre-built packages at https://www.erlang-solutions.com/downloads or you can build it from source with Wx and use some graphical apps like observer or whatever (the packages should work with it too, and it works on all platforms in general).

thx. it will be more fun for me on the cloud anyway if i can make it do an internet thing

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Socracheese posted:

thx. it will be more fun for me on the cloud anyway if i can make it do an internet thing

check out cowboy for doing web things in erlang.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Posting Principle posted:

check out cowboy for doing web things in erlang.

ok i have dived into this for a lil' bit and erlang is some voodoo poo poo. currently trying to get this thing listening on port 80 instead of 8080

e: aww yiss got hello world workin. trip report erlang is weird but p cool

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 14, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

plus the best quality C compiler (llvm) actually optimizes the other way, into SSA form, removing all destructive reassignments :getin:

edit: that's just in the intermediate representation though. the generated assembly code still works as usual

ssa and cps being formally identical is a really interesting thing

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Socracheese posted:

ok i have dived into this for a lil' bit and erlang is some voodoo poo poo. currently trying to get this thing listening on port 80 instead of 8080

e: aww yiss got hello world workin. trip report erlang is weird but p cool

If you get Recon you can start tracking your most active connections over time and see where all the precious bandwidth goes :toot: (use recon:port_info/1 to get details about each connection then)

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I've always been good enough with SQL but never got the kind of experience to really dig in. Trivial stored procedures and such.

What's a good place to learn how do do more?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I've always been good enough with SQL but never got the kind of experience to really dig in. Trivial stored procedures and such.

i got a copy of this with a class. haven't really dug into it but it seems pretty comprehensive?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

2banks1swap.avi posted:

design your apps to use the highest normal form possible, and write selects that get what you want in a single query

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cocoa Crispies posted:

design your apps to use the highest normal form possible, and write selects that get what you want in a single query

the more normalized your tables, the more joins you'll have to write, and it's good mental exercise to get you into an sql mindset

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

prefect posted:

the more normalized your tables, the more joins you'll have to write, and it's good mental exercise to get you into an sql mindset

normalization and adding constraints is great for enforcing correctness

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i forgot about constraints. when you're learning db stuff, put primary keys on every table unless you have a really good reason not to. and any table that references those primary-keyed values should be foreign-keyed. your db diagrams should look like they're covered with long-legged spiders

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

mysql will happily accept constraints and then silently not enforce them. then you can't port your code because your db operations mysteriously fail on databases that actually enforce your constraints

don't use mysql

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mysql is so bad but silently ignoring check constraints is the worst part of it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the rationale is compatibility with DDL for good DBs, I'm not even joking

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mssql is so cheap theres no reason to use MySQL.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

surely you mean postgresql

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no i don't.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Shaggar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqHOfAY9O4

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

no i don't.

but postgresql is cheaper than mssql and just as capable

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

isnt postgres supposed to be one of hte most internally consistent dbs? or is that just some koolaid someone handed me

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mido posted:

isnt postgres supposed to be one of hte most internally consistent dbs? or is that just some koolaid someone handed me

idk but postgres repl is getting better faster than mysql correctness is getting less awful and it's thousands of dollars cheaper per node than mssql

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Mido posted:

postgresql does *everything* inside a transaction. including ALTER TABLE. and DROP DATABASE

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

http://howfuckedismydatabase.com

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
sqlite is pretty awesome

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ive just recently been thinking about playing around with django again since i could have case for doing so, but i'm not sure how much enjoyment i'd get of it. i haven't touched it or python in well over a year and a half at this point

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
use flask if you're gonna use a framework
django is surprisingly rigid if you want to make anything more interesting.
Django admin is pretty neat but you can do just as well with a plugin for your favorite db

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

gucci void main posted:

ive just recently been thinking about playing around with django again since i could have case for doing so, but i'm not sure how much enjoyment i'd get of it. i haven't touched it or python in well over a year and a half at this point

use java dumbshit

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

gucci void main posted:

anyone else notice how the poo poo tier types talk about "playing around" with things while the pro tier types just do poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FamDav posted:

anyone else notice how the poo poo tier types talk about "playing around" with things while the pro tier types just do poo poo

gotta learn somehow

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
those that can, do. those that can't do, :justpost:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gotta learn somehow

i ran erl today

code:
Erlang R16B02 (erts-5.10.3) [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false] [dtrace]

Eshell V5.10.3  (abort with ^G)
1> help
1> a
1> ;
1> ;
1> ;
1> ;
1> '
1>
1>
1>
1>
1> '
1>
BREAK: (a)bort (c)ontinue (p)roc info (i)nfo (l)oaded
       (v)ersion (k)ill (D)b-tables (d)istribution
^G
Eh?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i ran erl today

code:
Erlang R16B02 (erts-5.10.3) [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false] [dtrace]

1> help
1> a
1> ;
1> ;
1> ;
1> ;
1> '
1>
1>
1>
1>
1> '
1>
BREAK: (a)bort (c)ontinue (p)roc info (i)nfo (l)oaded
       (v)ersion (k)ill (D)b-tables (d)istribution
^G
Eh?

you use '.' to end an expression and get it to run.

code:
Erlang R16B02 (erts-5.10.3) [source] [smp:4:4] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

1> "read your tutorial carefully".
"read your tutorial carefully"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also I gotta try this thing soon:

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

MononcQc posted:

code:
Erlang R16B02 (erts-5.10.3) [source] [smp:4:4] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

n:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MononcQc posted:

code:

yeah i started reading my copy of lyse after that experience

• Locked thread