Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
They could have called it the 'Nintendo Jurassic Park With Added Dinosaurs and Batman' and people wouldn't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DarthBlingBling posted:

They could have called it the 'Nintendo Jurassic Park With Added Dinosaurs and Batman' and people wouldn't care

Yeah 'cause no one will have heard of it

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

leidend posted:

For most people the share button will be sparsely used after you realize no one gives a poo poo about your cool gamer moves.
Even if it does happen, that doesn't change the fact that these new consoles were created with more socialized gaming and being able to upload those "cool gamer moves" in mind.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

leidend posted:

For most people the share button will be sparsely used after you realize no one gives a poo poo about your cool gamer moves.

I do.

I give a poo poo about your cool gamer moves.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
My younger 12 year old brother actually asked for a game capture card so that he could capture his sick trick scoping skills. No joke. When he visited me, every time he would be playing that is all he would do would be to practice trick scoping.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Why are you guys so mad about the ad? Just don't buy the system. I feel like this thread is just a massive hate train at this point, and if Mario 3D World is the greatest game ever made, people are just going to rant about how it should have been released for Nintendo 64 or some poo poo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying one either. But god drat. They're quite obviously going for an audience that isn't people in this thread in that ad (parents who want to play games with their kids). They're trying to market it like a board game. Now, well they be successful this Christmas? That's another question. But it was never supposed to be the PS4. Why would you want that? There is already a PS4.

I'm mad about the ad because I already BOUGHT the system, and I want to see it achieve some modicum of success so it can actually become a viable enough platform to justify my purchase. They're going for an audience that isn't loving watching that ad, doesn't understand it if they are, and probably doesn't even exist at all. They're somehow bumbling through the exact same mistakes a year into their console's stillbirth, and they don't show any real signs of righting the ship other than stock "we're gonna do things to make it better" responses from Iwata in shareholder meetings. If the Wii U's success could be measured in terms of "not the PS4," that'd be spectacular, but unfortunately the situation isn't even nearly that optimistic. The Wii U has been such a commercial failure it's barely even a blip in the market, and while it's not especially difficult to see a number of things Nintendo could do to help their situation, there's no sign that they have any intention of doing those things. It's loving frustrating to watch a company fall on its own rear end over and over and over, especially when you bought their product.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whether or not YOU plan to use the share button is irrelevant.

And whether or not most of us like it, the future is pretty much 24/7 connected, Sony and MS are merely embracing this aspect of society.

Nintendo on the other hand is still perfectly content with ignoring the internet, it honestly baffles me, they use facebook and youtube so they know its there, but they take 0 effort to integrate it properly into their systems.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hey they let you draw messages on the internet with Miiverse!*

*until it's removed in a few months like swapnote

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Alteisen posted:

Whether or not YOU plan to use the share button is irrelevant.

And whether or not most of us like it, the future is pretty much 24/7 connected, Sony and MS are merely embracing this aspect of society.

Nintendo on the other hand is still perfectly content with ignoring the internet, it honestly baffles me, they use facebook and youtube so they know its there, but they take 0 effort to integrate it properly into their systems.

The internet is a giant hose of content that they didn't make and aren't getting paid for. Nintendo's corporate culture simply is not built to allow something like that to be delivered through its machine. I'm honestly amazed Netflix ever showed up on the Wii.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

leidend posted:

I remember the change from Ultra being very late. Like people were accustomed to calling it that and then it was changed last second.

Of course last second pre-mainstream internet was a lot longer than it is these days.

I also remember being very disappointed they didn't use cds. Never bought it or any other Nintendo product since.

IIRC, they changed it because Konami owned the company Ultra Games and did not want to give up the rights to the name, but that could be an urban legend.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DarkSol posted:

But the Saturn was huge in Japan, while the WiiU is struggling in its home market.

Wii-U is the Neptune then. But the version of the Neptune that got released instead of being shelved.

Seriously I wound up buying a Sega Saturn due to the Wii-U having next to no games for the system. Spent around $150 bucks, got the majority of the good Japanese releases and it was a solid purchase. I've got over 50 games for the Saturn because they were going for a few cents even after converting them from yen to dollars. Most expensive game was Panzer Dragoon Saga for 13 dollars which was also the price as the Action Replay. Policenauts and Stalker were 3 dollars each.

And then suddenly you realize that Super NES games are cheap as hell in Japan too, and by the end of the night you now have over 100 import games.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 14, 2013

Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

The Wii-U is an excellent multiplayer platform. I've had loads of fun with Nintendo Lands mini games. Nintendo really needs to leverage that side of the system if they want the product to succeed, and they need to stop putting out retarded ads.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
You know... I don't want to see people like myself playing Nintendo games in Nintendo ads. A bunch of guys in their late 20's playing Wii Party U just sounds sad :( Even though it's actually really fun.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

WendigoJohnson posted:

Wii-U is the Neptune then. But the version of the Neptune that got released instead of being shelved.

Wii-U is probably more like the TurboGrafx-16 of this generation, realistically.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ap0calyps3 posted:

The Wii-U is an excellent multiplayer platform. I've had loads of fun with Nintendo Lands mini games. Nintendo really needs to leverage that side of the system if they want the product to succeed, and they need to stop putting out retarded ads.

I think the problem with this is that most people are moving on. Even me, now that I have a car and my own place find it far more difficult to organize gaming get togethers. Its just so much easier and convenient to play stuff online.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Seriously I wound up buying a Sega Saturn due to the Wii-U having next to no games for the system. Spent around $150 bucks, got the majority of the good Japanese releases and it was a solid purchase. I've got over 50 games for the Saturn because they were going for a few cents even after converting them from yen to dollars. Most expensive game was Panzer Dragoon Saga for 13 dollars which was also the price as the Action Replay. Policenauts and Stalker were 3 dollars each.

And then suddenly you realize that Super NES games are cheap as hell in Japan too, and by the end of the night you now have over 100 import games.

But there never was a version of the Sega Neptune that was released? :confused:

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Wii-U is probably more like the TurboGrafx-16 of this generation, realistically.

The PC Engine was also very popular in Japan, and even had decent sales in the US at first. (Although, it had a slow death in the US due to the lack of third party support.)

If we're going to compare the WiiU to any sort of "classic" console, the closest I'd consider it to be is like the Neo-Geo. Horrible third party support and overpriced.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Ap0calyps3 posted:

They need to leverage both sides equally this time around but Nintendo sucks at online stuff or at the least is slow to catch on. Whatever they're doing currently isn't working.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
At this rate the console will be dead before we even get the GBA games that were announced in January, almost a year ago.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DarkSol posted:

If we're going to compare the WiiU to any sort of "classic" console, the closest I'd consider it to be is like the Neo-Geo. Horrible third party support and overpriced.

Why not the Atari 7800? Completely unpopular, the only good games for it at all were first party, and it was released with hardware that wasn't up to par with the other consoles it competed against, instead being a slight upgrade over the Colecovision/Intellivision generation. And the most appealing feature it had? Backwards compatibility with its major predecessor, a massively popular and wide selling system.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DarkSol posted:

But there never was a version of the Sega Neptune that was released? :confused:

By "the version of the Neptune that was released", I'm pretty sure they meant it in "a version of reality in which the Neptune was released"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Wii U is the Nomad, right down to the battery life.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Install Windows posted:

Why not the Atari 7800? Completely unpopular, the only good games for it at all were first party, and it was released with hardware that wasn't up to par with the other consoles it competed against, instead being a slight upgrade over the Colecovision/Intellivision generation. And the most appealing feature it had? Backwards compatibility with its major predecessor, a massively popular and wide selling system.

At least they had the good sense to give it a bigger number. Nintendo just released the Atari 2600Q.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeffrey posted:

At least they had the good sense to give it a bigger number. Nintendo just released the Atari 2600Q.

Well the 2600 was marketed as just Atari Video Computer System for most of its life, and the official title of the 7800 was Atari 7800 ProSystem, so that's the same kind of issue. Especially since the cartridges used for it were EXACTLY the same size and shape as the 2600 carts and the packaging was usually extremely similar to the way late-stage 2600 carts were packaged. Oh and a major reason the 7800 didn't perform too well was that they really wanted to go the lazy way of ensuring 2600 compatibility, much like how the Wii U's not as powerful as it could be due to Nintendo wanting to keep Wii compatibility simple to make...

Also I have to say, 7800 wasn't really an intuitive number to be used. Sure there was the 5200 in between, but that system actually had been killed off and replaced by new 2600 games before the 7800 finally released.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

You know... I don't want to see people like myself playing Nintendo games in Nintendo ads. A bunch of guys in their late 20's playing Wii Party U just sounds sad :( Even though it's actually really fun.

Majority of videogame commercials never show the people playing anyways. I mean look at how Dark Souls and Dark Souls II were advertised, they never showed people playing the game.

Hell Skyrim's commercial was probably the best way to do a straight forward game commercial. Halo Reach was another good way to do a game commercial.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

Majority of videogame commercials never show the people playing anyways. I mean look at how Dark Souls and Dark Souls II were advertised, they never showed people playing the game.

Hell Skyrim's commercial was probably the best way to do a straight forward game commercial. Halo Reach was another good way to do a game commercial.

Nintendo is the only company I can think of that insists on focusing its advertisements around the dorks playing the games rather than the games themselves. I don't know why, or who told them this was a good idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Nintendo is the only company I can think of that insists on focusing its advertisements around the dorks playing the games rather than the games themselves. I don't know why, or who told them this was a good idea.

Here is an X-Box One advertisement. With little effort I can find similar advertisements from Sony. You are absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think every company advertises with "look at people playing our thing" stuff.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mandrel posted:

I think it was the success of the original Wii campaign that told them this was a good idea. Such a good idea that other companies have in fact picked up on the trend.

I don't think the problem with the ads is that they focus on groups of people playing the game, that approach is perfectly legitimate. Bigger problems: heavy emphasis on the controller instead of the console, frequently questionable phrasing, lack of big-ticket adspace buys, failure to define the product with clarity.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Al Borland posted:

I dunno man, my parents would have killed for something like this when I was a little kid. Instead of having to fight for the TV with them.

You don't have to share the pictures and videos you capture. Would you prefer if it was called the Record button instead?

It just means that if you do something amazing in a game, you actually have a video to prove it.

E: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 15, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

That loving Sned posted:

You don't have to share the pictures and videos you capture. Would you prefer if it was called the Record button instead?

It just means that if you do something amazing in a game, you actually have a video to prove it.

What are you talking about?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it was the success of the original Wii campaign that told them this was a good idea. Such a good idea that other companies have in fact picked up on the trend.

I don't think the problem with the ads is that they focus on groups of people playing the game, that approach is perfectly legitimate. Bigger problems: heavy emphasis on the controller instead of the console, frequently questionable phrasing, lack of big-ticket adspace buys, failure to define the product with clarity.

Failure to actually have uniquely compelling software should always be mentioned. It's pretty obvious that whatever the Wii U has is not nearly enough to drive interest among core gamers and casuals. As excited as I am about the new consoles, there's a library of stuff on the Wii U that is damned good, stuff that I enjoy quite a bit. I and many people in this thread are clearly in the minority in that regard.

I honestly don't think there's an ad agency out there that can fix people's perceptions of the Wii U, especially if Nintendo remains confused as to what market they really want to focus on. They had a whole year of bad news happen to them, and they didn't even bother to exploit every single blunder MS was making to try and prop themselves up. They're not going to win the core back when pretty much every major third party is gearing up to focus on more powerful hardware, which will leave the Wii U in a bind pretty quick in the next couple years or so unless Nintendo's output (or the system's sales) increases and we really get to see what the Wii U can do.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Here is an X-Box One advertisement. With little effort I can find similar advertisements from Sony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkMdi3XBhw

That Wii U advert is so grating, even at barely 30 seconds I can't stand it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Speaking of Wii U commercials, here is a good place to see them all. A lot of these I have not even seen.

http://www.ispot.tv/commercial-search/?path=&term=Wii+U

It's strange that they are using the phrase "Upgrade" because a lot of the previous ads have said "All New Wii U" such as Lego City and

Here is a Mario and Sonic at the Winter Games commercial which looks like it is airing now on Nicktoons
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71cB/mario-and-sonic-at-the-olympic-winter-games

There is also a Sonic Lost Worlds spot airing on Nickelodeon
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71a4/sonic-lost-world

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

That loving Sned posted:

What?

I was taking about the Wii U controller and not having to play on a big screen.

Astro7x posted:

Speaking of Wii U commercials, here is a good place to see them all. A lot of these I have not even seen.

http://www.ispot.tv/commercial-search/?path=&term=Wii+U

It's strange that they are using the phrase "Upgrade" because a lot of the previous ads have said "All New Wii U" such as Lego City and

Here is a Mario and Sonic at the Winter Games commercial which looks like it is airing now on Nicktoons
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71cB/mario-and-sonic-at-the-olympic-winter-games

There is also a Sonic Lost Worlds spot airing on Nickelodeon
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71a4/sonic-lost-world

Do kids even know what Sonic is now a days?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
One thing that just struck me about the new U advert: You don't see the game, or anything more interesting than 'a generic family and a flipchart' for a good ten seconds. The colours are drab, there's no fun sounds. How many kids are going to bother watching an advert for that long to see what it's for? The phrase "family time's dropping fast" sure isn't going to hook them in, ditto the colours and sounds.

e: for convenience, take another look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bso27e3Inzc

It's not only 'not hitting 'core' gamers', there's no way that's going to grab anyone's attention.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

petrol blue posted:

One thing that just struck me about the new U advert: You don't see the game, or anything more interesting than 'a generic family and a flipchart' for a good ten seconds. The colours are drab, there's no fun sounds. How many kids are going to bother watching an advert for that long to see what it's for? The phrase "family time's dropping fast" sure isn't going to hook them in, ditto the colours and sounds.

e: for convenience, take another look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bso27e3Inzc

It's not only 'not hitting 'core' gamers', there's no way that's going to grab anyone's attention.

Quick, somebody hire this guy as the lead creative director at the top ad agency in the country! These changes will surely sell another 5 million systems between now and April 1st.

I couldn't even tell you what the "perfect day" ads are about until the very end. If you look away during the last two seconds, you're clueless about what was even being advertised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0d9d-cdxhk

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I can't comprehend why Nintendo would using 'upgrade' in the advertisements. I'm imagining people who don't have a Wii (or are looking for a game console to gift) looking at the $299 bundle price, then looking up the price on the original Wii and adding them together to something over $400. Then they go to Gamestop and the salespeople try to sell them on the $399 PS4 that is brand spanking new and has advertisements plastered all over the store.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 14, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Astro7x posted:

I couldn't even tell you what the "perfect day" ads are about until the very end. If you look away during the last two seconds, you're clueless about what was even being advertised.
Well you see Skyrim helmets and Imperial City in the first bit, Grand Turismo cars in the second, and various Kill Zone and Mass Effect stuff at the end...

Granted, only two of those franchises are Sony exclusive, but... Yeah it's not a perfect ad, but it's attention getting by comparison. It makes the PS4 look like something where you'll have fun experiences playing against or alongside friends. The Wii U ad doesn't have anything to hook your attention and even the gameplay it does show is relatively unremarkable compared to some of the levels we've seen in trailers. A screen full of Mario and Luigis charging through a platoon of Bowser tanks flinging fireballs might make an impression.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al Borland posted:

Do kids even know what Sonic is now a days?

Yes, Sonic games are actually most successful among younger children. A big reason they kept making 3D games despite the adult fanbase complaining nonstop is that their primary market is children. who like the 3D gameplay and have little nostalgia for the Genesis era. I was talking to the producer of Sonic Generations and he had a lot to say about the subject. Games like Sonic & Mario at the Olympic Games also sell gangbusters, but largely to the casual and child crowd.

It's really easy to overlook a lot of major titles because they're not targeted towards the kind of people who post on internet MBs. Not just Nintendo games either.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 14, 2013

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro7x posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bqq38WZctA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbOjxU6OpoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z06X8mmMtZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHxicjFRnoo

Worked for them so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SBJ posted:

It's not even a question anymore, it's a pretty solid no. I love the 3DS and I've been a Nintendo fanboy, but honestly, none of the new games coming out on Wii U appeal to me. I've played Mario Kart a million times and it's more or less always the same poo poo. I'm sorry but I actually do think that even COD has more variety between sequels than Nintendo IP's (except Zelda). I will, however, still buy the poo poo out of the SSB game coming out on 3DS along with the new Zelda one.

As for an actual console, I don't think I'd even pay $50 for the Wii U, but I'll happily spend $500+ on a PS4. Wii U is just absolute garbage and is quite possibly the worst console Nintendo has ever released. It's also pretty telling that people choose to buy 7 year old consoles over the Wii U. While a part of this is due to the terrible marketing campaign of Nintendo, I think the main reason is just simply because it's not a good product.

I strongly disagree. At least you don't get severe eye strain and headaches playing the Wii U for 30 minutes and don't need to change out 6 AA batteries every so often as happened with the Virtual Boy.

Second-worst is still nothing to sniff about, though. :v:

• Locked thread