Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

The Unholy Ghost posted:

*Please don't spoil anything, I've only seen the first four episodes*

I heard that the anime ENDED with this first season. Does that mean that I should start reading the manga if I want to get the full storyline?

A second season has yet to be confirmed, but it's a pretty sure bet it'll happen sooner or later.

As for the anime / manga, the anime ends around Chapter 33, if I recall. If you want to continue the storyline after that, you'll have to switch over to the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The manga doesn't go that much further then the anime so don't go looking to it for some sort of conclusion it will just ask more then it solves.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I heard that the anime ENDED with this first season. Does that mean that I should start reading the manga if I want to get the full storyline?

Or you can wait a few years to have the rest of it animated (right now the manga has enough extra content for about another half-season).

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
When can I buy the DVD? Anyone?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Affi posted:

When can I buy the DVD? Anyone?

Funimation has yet to name a release date for the first part of the anime, but they're expecting a 2014 release. If you're asking about the ones from Japan, your best bet is probably Amazon.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Based on my rough math and by what they used for season 1, there will be enough material for a full, second season of anime when the manga gets to winter 2014. My prediction is that they go one of two ways: start season 2 early for fall season 2014 (October) and either stretch out material/use filler/find an earlier end, or wait until spring season 2015 (April) when there will be more than enough material.

e: Thinking about it, they can actually gain enough manga material as the season's rolling if they want to start at fall 2014. They'll just have less time to prepare for whatever they want to mark as the end of the second season though, and I'm not sure it's safe for them to write for the anime that early without knowing what the "end" material is going to be.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 27, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
The alternative is that they could switch to doing a half season each year. The manga is far enough ahead that it would give them some leeway pacing wise with about 16-20 chapters each half season, with enough left over to begin planning the next year by the time their done. The problem with that of course is that getting decent stopping points becomes far more difficult, this being the kind of series it is.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 27, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pensive posted:

The alternative is that they could switch to doing a half season each year. The manga is far enough ahead that it would give them some leeway pacing wise with about 16-20 chapters each half season, with enough left over to begin planning the next year by the time their done. The problem with that of course is that getting decent stopping points becomes far more difficult, this being the kind of series it is.

What? The Manga is only 16 chapters ahead of the anime.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Kild posted:

What? The Manga is only 16 chapters ahead of the anime.

(I made a mistake in my math last night, so what I said there isn't quite accurate, I put a 15 where I should have put a 12.)

With the current pacing, the manga's rate of release and projected length, we could easily see release dates that look something like this;

For half seasons:
Season 2.0: April---2014
Season 2.5: July----2015
Season 3.0: October-2016
Season 3.5: January-2018

For full Seasons:
Season 2: April---2015
Season 3: October-2017

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
Question about this show. I'm 6 eps in and I'm not sure whether to keep going. The fights are cool but every time a character opens their mouth I almost cant stand it. Will it get better now that (ep ~6 spoiler) Eren is dead? the world in general is real cool but I just hate the dialog.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

thunderchief posted:

Question about this show. I'm 6 eps in and I'm not sure whether to keep going. The fights are cool but every time a character opens their mouth I almost cant stand it. Will it get better now that (ep ~6 spoiler) Eren is dead? the world in general is real cool but I just hate the dialog.

You probably won't like the show, then.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

thunderchief posted:

This is the first complaint I've seen about this show's dialog. To answer your question, it's like this for most of the show. That arc gets kind of monologue-prone, and the second half of the show has a lot of characters just talking to each other, but it's mostly the same.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

ViggyNash posted:

This is the first complaint I've seen about this show's dialog. To answer your question, it's like this for most of the show. That arc gets kind of monologue-prone, and the second half of the show has a lot of characters just talking to each other, but it's mostly the same.

I just feel like every convo is like

"We gotta stay strong to protect the wall"

"No we shouldn't I'm lazy"

*lots of staring and "kssssuh"*

"Okay I guess we're cool now."

But the fights are awesome.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I personally liked the dialog more than most shows. It helped further differentiate the large cast by the way they talk and react to things. I would understand if it was just Eren's generic fiery-passion-shounen dialog that put you off. Although, I guess everyone constantly expressing their displeasure about their brutally terrifying predicament could get a bit grating to some.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

thunderchief posted:

That aspect gets a lot worse in the second half of the show when they have to infodump a lot to pad it out, so if you think that would be a dealbreaker it might be best to cut your losses now.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah. It's better eventually, but it will get much worse first.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I marathoned this show in like 2 days, and I don't watch anime like ever.

I was pretty much sleep deprived for some of it and I may have missed this but the timeframe when Annie is out in the open/forest she's missing from Military Police for the entire duration of the day. I would chalk it up to Military Police doing what the do best and gently caress off all day, but I don't know how she got in/out of the city unnoticed. I don't remember knowing how the gate system works, if there's a guy up there that lets them in/out or whatever, I would imagine he'd ask questions as to why a Military Police is out there. Maybe I'm just stupid and sleep deprived but I'm confused.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's never addressed but yeah it seems that the MP are a complete farce and people just walk off an entire day without anyone noticing or caring. As for getting in again she doesn't need to use the gates, she has the 3DMG and can climb up the wall anywhere she wants.

thunderchief posted:

That's it, no anime for you! :hitler:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ViggyNash posted:

This is the first complaint I've seen about this show's dialog.

The complaints started rolling into this thread around episode 9.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was more for the endless monologueing and less what ThunderChief was complaining about. At least the monologues ended once the next arc started.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

It's never addressed but yeah it seems that the MP are a complete farce and people just walk off an entire day without anyone noticing or caring. As for getting in again she doesn't need to use the gates, she has the 3DMG and can climb up the wall anywhere she wants.

I figured the 3DMG would be destroyed just like it was for Eren when he went into Titan form, but forgot she has a ~special unknown power~ that keeps her clothes/equipment intact.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

stringball posted:

I figured the 3DMG would be destroyed just like it was for Eren when he went into Titan form, but forgot she has a ~special unknown power~ that keeps her clothes/equipment intact.

I think she just swallows gear. Not necessarily her own. :getin:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

stringball posted:

Didn't Eren lose his 3DMG when he crashed across the rooftop after getting his leg bitten off? Besides, the human-titan interface doesn't look like it covers your whole body, just hands and face.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

thunderchief posted:

I agree, and though I finished the series, this did bother me through most of it. I'm glad I finished it as the plot gets pretty crazy toward the end, but it was tough to get there in many instances.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

stringball posted:

Also known as 'being vaguely competent at Titan transformation'. We're generally given the impression in this show that it's not that other shifters are just that good, it's that Eren is just that bad.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

thunderchief posted:

Well it never gets that bad, but some of the speeches are a bit repetitive. Try to keep in mind that this is kind of a doomsday scenario. The conversations are more like:

"We need to protect the wall"

"But I don't want to die!"

You are going to get a lot of "I don't want to die" and "We need to fight harder!" speeches, but the show does a good job of defying expectations and deals with character interactions better than I've seen in a while, so it's definitely worth sticking through some of the more awkward conversations*. Granted I really don't watch much anime any more...

The characters in AoT, for the most part, aren't heroes. They are fairly selfish in their desires, and that makes them a bit more real. You have characters in AoT that could have been forced into stereotype roles, like Jean being Eren's "rival" or some such, but the show dodges a lot of that. The dialogue may feel heavy handed or repetitive at times, but it could be so much worse. The show is definitely worth sticking around for, unless you reaaaally hate words. I never had too much of a problem with the dialogue, but the show does tend to be overly wordy when it doesn't need to be (episodes of planning attacks and what not).

*"I'll win! I don't know how, but I'll win!!" Get ready to here this a lot for a few episodes.

Phobophilia posted:

Didn't Eren lose his 3DMG when he crashed across the rooftop after getting his leg bitten off? Besides, the human-titan interface doesn't look like it covers your whole body, just hands and face.

He still has his gear. I think it's what Death Walrus said and Eren just transformed on instinct and destroyed his gear. It could also be PLOT reasons. It's one of those things I wouldn't read too much into.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I keep hearing about this show so I sat down tonight to check out an episode or two . . . Now I'm through 13. :negative:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey, the fangame updated again. Play as Titan Eren and other new stuff!

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

I keep hearing about this show so I sat down tonight to check out an episode or two . . . Now I'm through 13. :negative:

GOOD. Happens to everyone I introduce to this show. I've stopped trying to talk them into it. I just sit them down and play the first episode -- it does the rest.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Team Fourstar did AoT Abridged, if you're into that kind of thing. It's pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr2PyNriPWI

It covers the first 5 episodes.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Go RV! posted:

Team Fourstar did AoT Abridged, if you're into that kind of thing. It's pretty decent.

Wasn't previously into it, but I'll give it a look when I'm not in class.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Jesus that was hilarious.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Go RV! posted:

That was a fun watch. Not sure why they started blasting the Pacific Rim theme for Eren vs Colossal Titan part 2 though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Eren has the same last name as the Pacific Rim robots

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
That ending was brilliant.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Either Connie or Shadis is the best character so far, I can't really decide because both of their voices are loving hysterical.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Either Connie or Shadis is the best character so far, I can't really decide because both of their voices are loving hysterical.

Let's be honest with ourselves, it's totally Shadis.

"Well SWEET MOTHER THERESA ON THE HOOD OF A MERCEDES-BENZ, you sound like a MAJESTIC loving EAGLE!"

I wonder how many takes that sequence took, there's no way at least one of them didn't nearly rupture themselves laughing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

Eren has the same last name as the Pacific Rim robots

Gah, how could I forget that.

Oxxidation posted:

Let's be honest with ourselves, it's totally Shadis.

"Well SWEET MOTHER THERESA ON THE HOOD OF A MERCEDES-BENZ, you sound like a MAJESTIC loving EAGLE!"

I wonder how many takes that sequence took, there's no way at least one of them didn't nearly rupture themselves laughing.

Shadis's VA nailed all those ridiculous lines. I've heard of the Abridged series before, but now I need to watch more of theirs stuff.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I quite enjoyed the teamfourstar video. Have any of you seen abridged on titan ?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXH2lEAe334

He does a pretty good job with what he's got. So far both of the titans abridged series have been good.

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ViggyNash posted:

Shadis's VA nailed all those ridiculous lines. I've heard of the Abridged series before, but now I need to watch more of theirs stuff.
Their Dragonball series is really well done.

• Locked thread