Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

1st AD posted:

I wonder if there's a battle bar that opens up after a saucer separation.

That's the bar that doesn't serve synthohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's funny how there's a very vocal section of the posters on here who will go into a spittle-flying rage over the recent Star Trek movies, but will then just as quickly leap to the defence of Generations or Final Frontier, because apparently a couple of bits of corn vindicates the steaming pile of poo poo they were found in if there's been enough time between the present and whenever the movie was released.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
In this thread: nerds gettin' mad about Star Trek.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Angry Walrus posted:

In this thread: nerds gettin' mad about Star Trek.

What else would we get mad about?

Moatmonster
Jul 19, 2004
Finally getting around to my first real rewatch of DS9 since broadcast, and a few episodes here and there. Not far in, and my fondness seems to be justified.
So in "A Man Alone" at about 15:50, does Odo say "Loriental Massage HoloProgram"? I went back and watched it again about three more times, laughing at his delivery each time.

Fuckin hell, her first real appearance in the series, Keiko just starts right out of the loving gate as a buzzkill. Nice blazer. Holy poo poo do I hate her.

Vagabundo posted:

It's funny how there's a very vocal section of the posters on here who will go into a spittle-flying rage over the recent Star Trek movies, but will then just as quickly leap to the defence of Generations or Final Frontier, because apparently a couple of bits of corn vindicates the steaming pile of poo poo they were found in if there's been enough time between the present and whenever the movie was released.

I like the first JJTrek as well as Final Frontier, though I enjoy movies that are far too stupid to take themselves seriously, with stupid one-liners sprinkled throughout. This is also the reason I cite for loving Con Air, featuring Colm Meaney, so I might be an idiot. I don't know.

Moatmonster fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 14, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I like Abrams Trek. They're fun movies set in space, with actual adventure and stakes. Sorry they don't stop every 5 minutes so all the officers can have a civilized debate in the conference room.
I mean I forget them the second I leave the theatre but still.

I wonder if Brits all growing up with Dr Who and Americans growing up with Trek changes the Sci-fi in the respective countries.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Vagabundo posted:

There are Trekkies that will fly off into a spittle-flying rage over Enterprise, Voyager, The Motion Picture, this

It goes on and on.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress Generations. Here's a Star Trek thing that's better than Generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKNSWUzC-uc

All of the vids of this ride seem to feature lumpen unattractive families, and its not just the times that it existed. I still love De Kelley, clearly just making a bit of dosh, going 'Very insightful' (dumbass).

I would totally do that ride, but not with my family. My dad is a snarling scouser who would scare the Klingons, and my mother wouldn't know what the gently caress she was doing. I'm not alone, everyone of you in this thread would do that video too.

How can Universal Studio sort out TWOK era costumes for shlubs, but Paramount can't scare them up for the TNG episodes that feature them? Yes, I know about the magic sewing machine for the undershirts.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Vagabundo posted:

Now now pudding. You have been around long enough to know the menu del dia. And you have had your moments yourself..

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Great_Gerbil posted:

There are Trekkies that will fly off into a spittle-flying rage over Enterprise, Voyager, The Motion Picture, this

It goes on and on.

Funnily enough, CBS Digital actually fixed this for the blu-ray release:

They'd previously said that they wouldn't be changing this shot but somebody changed their mind I guess :shrug:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 14, 2013

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

I won't defend Generations because too much of it just rubs me the wrong way (I can take Kirk getting punked and I can take the Enterprise getting punked but not both in the same movie, also I feel they wasted Malcolm McDowell).

That said, Final Frontier comes off as a decent episode of TOS with a few dumb parts that some people can't get past. I don't know if the campfire scenes qualifies as a "bit of corn" but I'd rather watch a film gently caress up like that than a film that pretends being a 200 million dollar, 2-hour cutscene that rips off better movies is still impressive.

Great_Gerbil posted:

It goes on and on.

Nobody cares about poo poo like this if it happens in a good episode or movie, if it happens when there's nothing awesome to distract you from the fuckup you get people ragging on it. Background spergadiation doesn't count.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Tighclops posted:

Nobody cares about poo poo like this if it happens in a good episode or movie, if it happens when there's nothing awesome to distract you from the fuckup you get people ragging on it. Background spergadiation doesn't count.

I see you have no respect for Canon.

Edit: They'd flay you alive for taking a bold stance like that on TrekBBS or Bernd Schneider's site. If it's on screen it's Canon and must be explained.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Funnily enough, CBS Digital actually fixed this for the blu-ray release:

They'd previously said that they wouldn't be changing this shot but somebody changed their mind I guess :shrug:

Neat. It was minor and irrelevant, but that's just about the biggest technical fuckup of the show gone.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Count Chocula posted:

The scene where Worf fights all those dudes on the prison planet was cool.
Will nobody acknowledge that Sisko poisoned a whole planet after talking about how if he's the bad guy, he'll be the bad guy or the danger or something? It's like classic cable antihero poo poo and then he goes back to normal.

He temporarily forgot what set he was on.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Vagabundo posted:

I can't remember which Star Trek thread it was but there's some goon who thinks that TWOK is a better film than The Thing. That made me mad. Real mad. Care mad.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Another thing Trek makes boring: amorpeheus shapeshifters who can only be detected by a blood test. If only the Thing had more scenes of The Thing trying to get laid and thinking about being human

Odo turning into a hawk was cool

My first exposure to DS9 was a book that was all about poker only on DS9. I didn't understand it

I used to read trek books to numb my brain when I was too young for drugs

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 14, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Count Chocula posted:

I like Abrams Trek. They're fun movies set in space, with actual adventure and stakes. Sorry they don't stop every 5 minutes so all the officers can have a civilized debate in the conference room.

Yes that is exactly what the rest of the Trek movies are and why we like them :rolleyes:

New worst Trek poster

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

He's australian he doesn't know any better

also TWOK is a better movie than the thing man. like, the thing is fine but its really lost a good chunk of its charm now, but TWOK will always live on as a really well made film with a riveting story.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

He's australian he doesn't know any better

also TWOK is a better movie than the thing man. like, the thing is fine but its really lost a good chunk of its charm now, but TWOK will always live on as a really well made film with a riveting story.

I saw The Thing for the first time last year with a seasoned horror fan and I literally jumped out of my seat several times. Same deal with my horror obsessed little brother. It's a brilliant movie.
TWOK is okay but c'mon.
What's stopping The Founders from just being The Thing? Don't say 'SFX budget' since The Thing was mostly practical.

And I'm an American: like James Tiberius Kirk, who even though he's Canadian embodies the American spirit. And wrote novels where he hooked up with mirror-Janeway

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Count Chocula posted:

What's stopping The Founders from just being The Thing? Don't say 'SFX budget' since The Thing was mostly practical.

Yes, having the Founders act like aggressive alien monsters would totally fit in with the story they were trying to tell! (What?)

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Count Chocula posted:

Maybe they just didn't think that kind of body-horror would really fit with DS9, even with the darker tone the series took.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Today I learned that Andrew Robinson deliberately played Garak as being attracted to Bashir. As if I didn't love the character enough.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Whalley posted:

Today I learned that Andrew Robinson deliberately played Garak as being attracted to Bashir. As if I didn't love the character enough.

I knew there was a reason I felt those vibes.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 14, 2013

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

I knew there was a reason I felt those vibes.
He actually went ahead and wrote a book about Garak as a series of letters to Bashir where he openly mentions having crushes on men and women, and I really need to read that probably terrible poo poo because I deserve so much Bij

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Whalley posted:

He actually went ahead and wrote a book about Garak as a series of letters to Bashir where he openly mentions having crushes on men and women, and I really need to read that probably terrible poo poo because I deserve so much Bij

I heard its actually good. It was his journal and he used it to play the character.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I watch TV for scenes with characters talking to each other. I watch movies to see a fight scene break out at the special effects warehouse.

I expect Star Trek to fit into this system too. :colbert:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Count Chocula posted:

Presumably if the Founders were like the Thing, there wouldn't have been things like "Vorta," "Jem'Hadar," "the Dominion," "civilization in the Gamma Quadrant," and probably not "Bajor" either.

If you mean in the sense of turning into horrifying toothsome monsters and crab-walking heads and poo poo, probably a combination of 'it's TV' and 'at a certain point they stop being characters and start being a slimy meat-Borg.' I mean with their level of control all that turning into a hosed-up body horror creature does is possibly horrify the guy pointing a phaser at you long enough for you to kill him, and if you can become a cloud of gas instead...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TIL that Heather Langenkamp from the Nightmare on Elm Street movies was on the make-up staff from Star Trek Into Darkness. She even made a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo appearance in the film.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Nessus posted:

Presumably if the Founders were like the Thing, there wouldn't have been things like "Vorta," "Jem'Hadar," "the Dominion," "civilization in the Gamma Quadrant," and probably not "Bajor" either.

If you mean in the sense of turning into horrifying toothsome monsters and crab-walking heads and poo poo, probably a combination of 'it's TV' and 'at a certain point they stop being characters and start being a slimy meat-Borg.' I mean with their level of control all that turning into a hosed-up body horror creature does is possibly horrify the guy pointing a phaser at you long enough for you to kill him, and if you can become a cloud of gas instead...

Counterpoint: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

It's just they have a cool concept and choose the most boring way to portray it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Count Chocula posted:

Counterpoint: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

It's just they have a cool concept and choose the most boring way to portray it.
While this is a good story and I enjoyed it when I ran into it once, I will encourage you to look at the closing line of that and consider if this is really the primary motivation you would have liked the antagonists for a Star Trek series to have. Like, the persistent guys, the equivalent of the Klingon High Council.

I loved 'The Thing,' I enjoyed this story - but I don't think it is somehow necessary to portray 'shapeshifter' as 'biological horror-threat' in fictional work either.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't care much for Generations (although, as noted, it is visually interesting), but I still don't think First Contact did all this "turned Picard into an action hero" nonsense that people talk about. It's basically a longer, decent episode of the show with some terrible bits thrown in (the Borg Queen is just weird and hoho, Troi is drunk, etc.).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't care much for Generations (although, as noted, it is visually interesting), but I still don't think First Contact did all this "turned Picard into an action hero" nonsense that people talk about. It's basically a longer, decent episode of the show with some terrible bits thrown in (the Borg Queen is just weird and hoho, Troi is drunk, etc.).

Taken of itself it doesn't do that much violence to the character established in the show, I guess I just look at the rest of the films and see it as sort of the starting point of a downward slide that eventually leads to dune buggy rides and him killing a hundred space orcs on the bridge of the RIS Spikedick before impaling his clone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vagabundo posted:

TIL that Heather Langenkamp from the Nightmare on Elm Street movies was on the make-up staff from Star Trek Into Darkness. She even made a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo appearance in the film.

As Grumpy Cat, apparently.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I like the Founders because they remind me of Ditto from pokemon, except with more evil and less sex having. Yes, I mean less.

Also didn't Animorphs also come out about that same time? So many shape-shifters in the 90s.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LeafyOrb posted:

I like the Founders because they remind me of Ditto from pokemon, except with more evil and less sex having. Yes, I mean less.

Also didn't Animorphs also come out about that same time? So many shape-shifters in the 90s.

Thank you for reminding me about Animorphs. God drat I loved that series when I was a kid. I wonder how it measures up today.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Great_Gerbil posted:

I see you have no respect for Canon.

Edit: They'd flay you alive for taking a bold stance like that on TrekBBS or Bernd Schneider's site. If it's on screen it's Canon and must be explained.

ahahah holy gently caress, I know you're kidding around but this is the first time I've ever been accused of having no respect for the Canon. Usually I'm the nitpicky rear end in a top hat. I guess TrekBBS is still terrible? I must have gotten banned like 50 times from that place. I sometimes miss my old trolling persona "Fank Herb."

Otisburg posted:

Taken of itself it doesn't do that much violence to the character established in the show, I guess I just look at the rest of the films and see it as sort of the starting point of a downward slide that eventually leads to dune buggy rides and him killing a hundred space orcs on the bridge of the RIS Spikedick before impaling his clone.

I definitely think that First Contact gets sort of retroactively poo poo upon because of that, and because Voyager took the Borg sets and props and ran the whole drat thing into the ground.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Vagabundo posted:

poo poo, did they just throw a bald cap on her? That's the Nancy Scowl all right, I've seen 1, 3, and New Nightmare enough times to know it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

First Contact at least had some nice meaty Moby Dick Analogues buried in the action nonsense, Insurrection mostly eschews the potentially interesting aspects of its premise in favor of a bunch of tenuously-connected action scenes, and it really goes downhill from there.

So yes, First Contact gets poo poo on more than it deserves. We should poo poo on Insurrection instead. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Otisburg posted:

I'm watching by airdate and haven't gotten to the other TNG films yet (truth be told, I have two Voyager episodes coming up and have been avoiding advancing any further), but I can see how that makes sense. From reading the production notes, it seems like a lot of the action sequences were supposed to have gone to Jonathon Frakes, and Sir Patrick would have been dealing with Cochrane instead. It arguably would have made more sense, because the spontaneous Borg PTSD is a little weird (particulary with Picard, who has already lived an entire lifetime playing the flute since then), but for quality purposes, it does make more sense to hand Frakes what he can handle: the light, comic relief work (especially since he was directing) and give the more meaty acting work to the member of the cast who has sharp enough teeth to chew on the scenery.

The scene where Patrick feels betrayed by Data only to be -surprise!- saved by his friend is actually salvaged, because if there's one thing Patrick Stewart can make you believe, it's that he has an emotional connection with someone. It's kind of hard to fill an entire Star Trek movie without front-loading the action, because otherwise it easily becomes an :rolleyes: didactic freshman philosophy text [spiler]in space![/spoiler], so if you're going to have somebody kicking rear end and taking names, it may as well be the fellow who can recite Melville and give it all the poignancy of the St. Crispin Day speech.

Still, the non-Picard moments of the film are actually kind of dull, so I can see how easy it would be to just take the better portions of this movie and expand them to eleven (consequently ruining them) for the follow-ups.

This post contains :words: about a galaxy quest TV franchise. Read them at your own risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

BrandonGK posted:

Was it really that expensive to make a cheap model, fill it with explosives, and blow it up on camera?

Reading about the production makes you :ughh: a lot. They made the guys writing the series finale also responsible for the shooting script. They slashed the budget repeatedly, scaling back location shooting and the scope of new sets. They had new uniforms designed, but scrapped them at the last moment.

Then the studio looked at the result and threw back the money they'd carved away to let them redo the ending.

• Locked thread