Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I am getting a Wii U when the next smash bros comes out for sure, but I don't want to play smash bros. without the gamecube controller. It was too good!

Is there a Wii U controller that feels just like the Gamecube controller? Or am I going to have to adapt to a new one?

EDIT: I want a controller where the bottom-right stick is just like the gamecube's octagonal knob and the big A button/small B button. That layout is insanely good on Smash Bros.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
These days Nintendo don't announce things as far in advance as other companies sometimes with smaller games just getting announced a month or two before release. Right now they want to focus on the run up to Christmas because it's kind of a big thing to businesses, so you won't be getting much of a marketing push for the new year from anyone.

That being said, there probably will be a bit of a drought in the spring.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The pro controller might be your best bet...

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

How Rude posted:

I am getting a Wii U when the next smash bros comes out for sure, but I don't want to play smash bros. without the gamecube controller. It was too good!

Is there a Wii U controller that feels just like the Gamecube controller? Or am I going to have to adapt to a new one?

EDIT: I want a controller where the bottom-right stick is just like the gamecube's octagonal knob and the big A button/small B button. That layout is insanely good on Smash Bros.

Your best bet is probably to hope someone comes up with an adapter that lets you plug in a Gamecube controller to a Wii Remote.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I wish Nintendo would just do the Nintendo Sports thing again. I'm loving sick of the EA Sports/2K stranglehold.

I can see being frustrated with Madden's mediocrity, but FIFA and the 2K basketball games are pretty fantastic. What's wrong with their strangelehold?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Misandu posted:

Your best bet is probably to hope someone comes up with an adapter that lets you plug in a Gamecube controller to a Wii Remote.

Pretty sure those exist already, I think they read as a Wii Classic Controller.

Fake edit: Having trouble posting the link on my phone...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pixeltendo posted:

Theres still lots of games with dates we don't know, X, Yarn Yoshi, Bayonetta 2, Super smash bros, SMT x Fire emblem, Art academy wii u, I imagine at least one or two of those will fill the Febuary - June gap (through I bet Mario kart will be out and ready before April)
I doubt X is anytime soon, we know next to nothing about it. If I had to pick any games from that list that were likely to arrive this spring, I'd say Bayonetta 2 and Yarn Yoshi. But no one really knows what is taking Bayonetta so long either.

Smash Bros will either be a summer or holiday title. A game that hits when school is out.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

In regard to the talk about cartoony graphics vs all the ultra-realism, I was just justifying my Wii U purchase the other day. How great do the graphics need to be if it's supposed to look like a bright and colorful cartoon? I've only really played the NSMBU and LUIGI game so far and it's probably because I'm coming from playing mario games on the wii, but drat, those games looks really good. Obviously, Nintendo isn't the console to buy if you're only going to own one console. You're probably better off with a PS3/XBOX - current or next gen, but for a system that will have at least the next few years of good Nintendo releases, I think it will be worth it. And, if they keep up the virtual console stuff like releasing Earthbound, I'll be happy as well.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

illcendiary posted:

I can see being frustrated with Madden's mediocrity, but FIFA and the 2K basketball games are pretty fantastic. What's wrong with their strangelehold?

Even if they are currently making good games for those sports, variety leads to innovation. I don't see how it could ever be a good thing that basically two companies handle all sports games that are not casual games.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Any good BF deals on the Mario & Luigi bundle?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Supercar Gautier posted:

Tropical Freeze in February, Mariokart 8 in Spring, SSB/Bayonetta/X all coming probably at some point mid-late in the year, Zelda probably as well but it hasn't been outright stated.

There are probably also several games still under wraps; a bunch of this year's big titles weren't announced until January or June.

I was under the impression that X was aiming for a 2015 release?

Anyway, I'll probably get a WiiU at some point. It just seems like it's the best combination with a computer. There are very few games for the other two consoles that I'd want that get a PC version...at the moment, Metal Gear Solid 5 is the only thing the PS4/XBone is getting that computers aren't that I'd want, and I'm fine with just watching Chip Cheezum's inevitable Let's Play of it a year from now or whatever. Meanwhile, none of the WiiU-targeted games are going to be on the computer.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LEGO Marvel is GOTY for the Wii U. It may not be as good looking as the PS4 version, but the off-tv coop allows you to have two separate missions going on in the Freeroam mode at the same time. Only thing that might take away is, the TV user must use wiimote+chuk. But if anything that's even better.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Patter Song posted:

I was under the impression that X was aiming for a 2015 release?

Nintendo is stating 2014 on their website.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

How does the Wii Fit U gym work? For instance, sometimes I'll know I've done strength training and balance games and various things but the gym screen will only show a big chunk of aerobics for the group. Nothing else.

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED

Edoraz posted:

I'm having a very hard time figure out which games don't have offscreen play. Nintendoland doesn't, but it's gameplay kind of relies on dual screens.

Wii Party U, I imagine?

ZombiU.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

How Rude posted:

pichupal posted:

Pretty sure those exist already, I think they read as a Wii Classic Controller.

Fake edit: Having trouble posting the link on my phone...

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nint...e+adapter+wii+u

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I may just have to get this after I find my Wavebird. The reviews look good.

My hope is there will be some special Wii U Pro controller that's shaped like a GameCube controller when Smash 4 comes out. Maybe a Club Nintendo reward.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Never do bike followed by ultimate obstacle course.

I mean, unless you want to walk again.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Oh geez, four of those to play Smash is going to run me a lot of money. I hope Nintendo releases some special edition GameCube controllers for Wii U.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nickoten posted:

Oh geez, four of those to play Smash is going to run me a lot of money. I hope Nintendo releases some special edition GameCube controllers for Wii U.

If they do, expect it to be for the Japanese Club Nintendo (and then Europe a few years later, after everyone's stopped caring)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Honest to God, I just saw this commercial on TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bso27e3Inzc

A real, live commercial for the Wii U was just on TV! I'd never seen one on TV before!

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Chronojam posted:

I found myself thinking about this just yesterday. It felt like the whole character arc and plot progression was spot on, you'd have to be somebody else or have much different circumstances.

It actually occurred to me recently that when it was originally announced (the first game announcement for the Wii U! Remember those halcyon days?), it was called Lego City Stories. Like they originally planned to do more than Chase, like how the previous games were divided into each movie. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those other planned stories and I'm sure the girlfriend wouldn't either.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Speaking of, how in the world are you supposed to turn in ultimate obstacle course? I got four stars once, but the whole experience was very squirrelly.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Red posted:

Honest to God, I just saw this commercial on TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bso27e3Inzc

A real, live commercial for the Wii U was just on TV! I'd never seen one on TV before!

I saw it too but the "upgrade" thing made me sigh.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nickoten posted:

Or we could not expect Nintendo to support a controller that's two generations and 13 years old? Yeah, it was nice for Melee and Brawl, but I think we're past the point where demanding to not have to use a new controller is reasonable.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm going to say something controversial but barring pre-video game crash controllers the Gamecube controller is probably the worst-designed controller of all time. Not comfortable to use and it had ridiculous button placement to boot.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It's not the greatest but it's certainly better than the Dreamcast or original Xbox controllers. Actually other than the crappy second stick, it's better than the Dualshock as well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't really understand how SSB is the one game where people pathologically need to play it with one particular controller whose features are matched or exceeded by basically every other modern controller.

The Pro Controller is really drat nice. The diamond layout makes all four face buttons equally accessible and more combinable. Let go.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

robodex posted:

I'm going to say something controversial but barring pre-video game crash controllers the Gamecube controller is probably the worst-designed controller of all time. Not comfortable to use and it had ridiculous button placement to boot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Both of those are pre-video game crash :mad:

(Well the 2nd one is, I don't know if the 1st one is)

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

robodex posted:

First one is Jaguar and that was SNES/Genesis era so post-crash.

Here's another Post-crash.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

robodex posted:

Oh, right

Have you ever held a wiimote sideways

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Have you held an N64 controller since you were ten years old? The handles are way too close together, and it's clearly the worst controller Nintendo has ever designed unless you're a child and your hands fit between the handles (or you're playing one of the few games that didn't use the analog stick)

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Have you held an N64 controller since you were ten years old? The handles are way too close together, and it's clearly the worst controller Nintendo has ever designed unless you're a child and your hands fit between the handles (or you're playing one of the few games that didn't use the analog stick)

The N64 controller was genius in that it was three controllers in one. It was made so that you could play it SNES-style with the outer grips, or even with only the D-pad and the analog stick. Some games like Sin and Punishment even utilized the latter scheme!

Unfortunately, developers almost always defaulted to the stick/c-button layout, so you would never really know unless you bought a niche title.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dieting Hippo posted:

The N64 controller was genius in that it was three controllers in one. It was made so that you could play it SNES-style with the outer grips, or even with only the D-pad and the analog stick. Some games like Sin and Punishment even utilized the latter scheme!

Unfortunately, developers almost always defaulted to the stick/c-button layout, so you would never really know unless you bought a niche title.

Yeah, I like the idea behind the N64 controller, but that doesn't stop my knuckles from rubbing against each other whenever I play anything other than Mischief Makers, the only game I own that doesn't use the analog stick. If it were just a little bit bigger, it'd be great.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

RMZXAnarchy posted:

First one is Jaguar and that was SNES/Genesis era so post-crash.

Here's another Post-crash.

You fuckin' twist and rotate the controller in the middle and that acts as an analog stick for 3D games :unsmigghh:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Monkey Fracas posted:

You fuckin' twist and rotate the controller in the middle and that acts as an analog stick for 3D games :unsmigghh:

Ho ho~ loving why

So glad the 90s got a lot of stinker ideas out. :v:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Artix posted:

Or we could not expect Nintendo to support a controller that's two generations and 13 years old? Yeah, it was nice for Melee and Brawl, but I think we're past the point where demanding to not have to use a new controller is reasonable.

I don't know who's "demanding" anything, but sure, I don't really have any expectations with regards to that. It would be nice, though. It's weird that you equate someone hoping for an option with demanding it, by the way.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't really understand how SSB is the one game where people pathologically need to play it with one particular controller whose features are matched or exceeded by basically every other modern controller.

The Pro Controller is really drat nice. The diamond layout makes all four face buttons equally accessible and more combinable. Let go.

Smash Bros doesn't need every face button to be equally accessible, though. It has a "main" button (and thankfully the Gamecube's A button is built to take a beating) that you combine with jump a lot, which the Gamecube controller works well with because it has a smaller, curved button above A that "jump" is mapped to. When played competitively, the game's inputs are arguably more demanding than many "traditional" fighting games, and needing to jump precisely as high as you want to when attacking is one of the many little things that Smash makes you worry about that other games don't. It's a competitive game designed around a controller that just happens to suit its concepts very well.

Are we next going to ask why people still buy arcade sticks to play Street Fighter? I mean that six-button layout is over 30 years old. We have dual analog now!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Any good BF deals on the Mario & Luigi bundle?
I think Best Buy is doing something with it for $320, like Nintendo Land and a remote or something?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Obviously you should do the bird flapping one after the bike.
Watch the control configurations make the adapted GameCube setup become unplayable :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Edoraz posted:

Ho ho~ loving why

So glad the 90s got a lot of stinker ideas out. :v:

Namco had one for PS1.

I still have mine. It was perfect for screaming around corners on Ridge Racer--it allowed for much tighter control than Sony's laughable d-pad.
The analog buttons and shoulders for the accelerator and brakes weren't too useful, though.

• Locked thread