Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

noirstronaut posted:

I posted this in the trading thread, but I know some of you would have no reason to enter there unless looking for a trade soooo

Does anyone have an Electabuzz + Galvantula Safari? That lil Pikachu mouse thing in the first slot would be cool too, but not really necessary.

I have Emolga, Electrabuzz and Stunfisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Stormbringer the Aegislash
Slurp the Greninja
Scrafty the Scrafy aka Pantsman
Sprash the Vivillon
Frietz the Talonflame
G'oodzooks the Goodra.

I wasn't expecting some of the types that came out of the elite 4 and subsequently had chunks of my team swept. Scraped through with my Greninja being all that was left, even though he was 83.

Finally finished it after 61 hours with 255 caught. Had a lot of fun so far, and now I just gotta catch em all. Finishing the dex and getting a competitive team bred up is my next goal. That and keeping bugs from eating my berry farm

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I posted this in the trading thread, but I know some of you would have no reason to enter there unless looking for a trade soooo

Does anyone have an Electabuzz + Galvantula Safari? That lil Pikachu mouse thing in the first slot would be cool too, but not really necessary.

Yes, I've got both Electabuzz and Galvantula, plus Dedenne as well if that's what you mean. My FC is 1160-9733-1481, I'll look through your posts in this thread to find yours.

e: I can't find your FC, so PM me or post and I'll add you.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 14, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Huge Liability posted:

Yes, I've got both Electabuzz and Galvantula, plus Dedenne as well if that's what you mean. My FC is 1160-9733-1481, I'll look through your posts in this thread to find yours.

e: I can't find your FC, so PM me or post and I'll add you.

3325-2759-0156

!!!

We are about to be the best of friends.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is it worth using Gyro Ball on a Relaxed Ferrothorn if it has perfect speed IVs?

At level 100, Gyro Ball is outdamaged by Iron Head against everything slower than 218 Speed, which is to say uninvested 31 IV 91 Base Speed. At 50 it's even worse, dealing less than 80 Power against everything slower than Base 96 uninvested. That's enough that you'll still deal decent damage to offensive things at least but walls will give you trouble. However, running Iron Head to hit the slower things probably isn't a good idea since you still fail to 2HKO physically defensive Togekiss, Sylveon and Florges and the loss in power to stuff like Garchomp and Gengar is significant.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

The Leper Colon V posted:

Ferrothorn is still suitably slow that, as unless you're using it against something else that's also slow (which you shouldn't anyways), it won't make a huge difference. I mean, ideally, you want a low speed, but if you're mostly going to be using it against Fairies, etc., you'll probably be getting max BP either way.

I posted about this earlier in the thread, but this advice is actually completely wrong. Those 31 speed points make an enormous difference for Gyro Ball: if you have 31 in Speed you can't hit anything with less than 406 speed for maximum damage. Pretty much nothing is that fast without a Scarf. If you have 0 speed the cutoff is 239.

That said, a 31 Speed Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball will out-damage Iron Head on targets with at least 215 speed, which covers basically all sweepers but relatively few bulky mons that don't invest in speed.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 14, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

WrightOfWay posted:

At level 100, Gyro Ball is outdamaged by Iron Head against everything slower than 218 Speed, which is to say uninvested 31 IV 91 Base Speed. At 50 it's even worse, dealing less than 80 Power against everything slower than Base 96 uninvested. That's enough that you'll still deal decent damage to offensive things at least but walls will give you trouble. However, running Iron Head to hit the slower things probably isn't a good idea since you still fail to 2HKO physically defensive Togekiss, Sylveon and Florges and the loss in power to stuff like Garchomp and Gengar is significant.

Is there a better alternative? Other 3 moves are Power Whip, Stealth Rock and Leech Seed.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there a better alternative? Other 3 moves are Power Whip, Stealth Rock and Leech Seed.

No, your last spot is pretty much going to be protect or gyro ball.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You can run a "fast" Ferrothorn with Thunder Wave over Gyro Ball.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know the actual chances of getting a shiny in the FS? It seems a lot more likely than it is out in the actual game.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vahtooch posted:

Stormbringer the Aegislash

This is the first Elric of Melnibone reference I've seen in a long time. You have good taste in both literature and nicknames.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone know the actual chances of getting a shiny in the FS? It seems a lot more likely than it is out in the actual game.

Nobody knows. The 3DS hasn't been cracked, so we can't dump data from the cartridge and analyze it like we could for previous generations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Zoran posted:

Nobody knows. The 3DS hasn't been cracked, so we can't dump data from the cartridge and analyze it like we could for previous generations.

Didn't someone manage to figure out that the chances for bred Poke shinies was actually 2x more likely than past games or something like that?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zoran posted:

I posted about this earlier in the thread, but this advice is actually completely wrong. Those 31 speed points make an enormous difference for Gyro Ball: if you have 31 in Speed you can't hit anything with less than 406 speed for maximum damage. Pretty much nothing is that fast without a Scarf. If you have 0 speed the cutoff is 239.

That said, a 31 Speed Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball will out-damage Iron Head on targets with at least 215 speed, which covers basically all sweepers but relatively few bulky mons that don't invest in speed.
Whoops, I'm a moron. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zoran posted:

If my math is right. the Ratio for Gyro Ball being better than Iron Head is 3.5, and the ratio for max damage is 6

If the slowest a Ferrothorn can be at level 50 is 22, that would put the Iron head breakpoint at 77, and the max damage breakpoint at 132. that's with zero EVs, zero IVs, and a speed hindering nature.
a 31 IV, even with a speed hindering nature, raises the Iron Head breakpoint to ~124, and the max damage breakpoint to ~213. So yes, it hurts a lot.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ferrothorn is so slow that 31 IVs increase its Speed by 70% at level 100 and 80% at level 50. It is definitely a big deal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

noirstronaut posted:

Didn't someone manage to figure out that the chances for bred Poke shinies was actually 2x more likely than past games or something like that?

IIRC they basically watched the data that determines if a pokemon is shiny or not and noticed that pokemon that wouldn't be shiny in past games were shiny this gen.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

noirstronaut posted:

What they did was find out that the range of possible numbers as part of the ID that makes up the Pokemon and determines shininess has been doubled, which wouldn't be terribly hard to do with the .pkx data they've been able to pull. Finding out about Friend Safaris would require actually hacking into the game data proper.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

3325-2759-0156

!!!

We are about to be the best of friends.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Maybe some of my good luck will rub off on you.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Kurieg posted:

If my math is right. the Ratio for Gyro Ball being better than Iron Head is 3.5, and the ratio for max damage is 6

Close. It's better than Iron Head when the target is faster by a ratio of 79/25 = 3.16, and max damage is achieved with a ratio of 149/25 = 5.96.

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, it appears that the range of PIDs that produces shinies might have been doubled this generation, but we have no way of knowing for sure whether being in the Friend Safari or fighting hordes or tipping a lot or anything else causes the game to favor generating shinies more than it normally does.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Huge Liability posted:

I hope you find what you're looking for. Maybe some of my good luck will rub off on you.

Oh, I'll find it. It's just a matter of when.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

pandaK posted:

You want an annoying staller? I'll give you an annoying staller, behold:

Slowbro @ Leppa Berry
- Block
- Slack Off
- Heal Pulse
- Recycle

Stall literally into infinity :unsmigghh: (or until the timer runs out)
I've been trying this for the past 2 days and it doesn't work if the other trainer has:
  • a supereffective move
  • switches to a pokemon with a super-effective move on the first turn
  • can inflict toxic, sleep, or confusion
  • has an atk/sp. atk raising move
So basically never.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
If you didn't at least shed a tear after the Elite 4/Parade, you are an inhuman monster.

I will, however, be adding this night to the list of shameful nerd poo poo that has caused me to tear up at least the first time I saw it (Ash dying at the end of Pokemon: The First Movie, Spock dying in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Picard playing the flute at the end of The Inner Light and when I rewatched the scene in Khazad-Dum when they discover Balin's Tomb in Fellowship for the first time after seeing The Hobbit), so if you were even the least bit sad about any of those things, cut me some loving slack, yeah? :colbert:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Locutus of Bald posted:

If you didn't at least shed a tear after the Elite 4/Parade, you are an inhuman monster.

I'll tell you what made me cry in this game: my skiddo just evolved.

Why ?

Why did you have to become so ugly ? :cry:

I don't know what to do. I'm not sure I can pick up my game again. :ohdear:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

How on earth can you like Skiddo but find Gogoat ugly? They're nigh-identical - Gogoat is larger and has curled horns, and that's it.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

Gogoat is larger and has curled horns, and that's it.

Yep, also it's got a botched up face, and its legs look like he's wearing pants too short for his size and ... I don't know. :eng99:
It's just not working for me anymore. In artwork it's not so bad but ingame it just looks wrong.

On a completely unrelated matter, I fished a shiny Luvdisc earlier. Is that worth anything for trade ?

e: nvm it seems shinies are much more common this time around. I might try to trade it for a shiny skiddo then. :3:

vv You got that wrong, that's sawsbuck.

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 14, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Gogoat is a loving majestic land god.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Tiger Sushi posted:

On a completely unrelated matter, I fished a shiny Luvdisc earlier. Is that worth anything for trade ?

Shiny fished pokemon probably aren't going to be worth as much due to chain fishing, which is like using the radar but way easier. I only spent a few hours doing it and got 5 shiny Skrelp.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Go do wailord in pokemon amie

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Umm... The daycare guy had an egg for me but he wasn't turned around to announce it. Has that ever happened for anyone else?

emminou
May 25, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

Umm... The daycare guy had an egg for me but he wasn't turned around to announce it. Has that ever happened for anyone else?

It happened to me at some point. I don't think he turns around if the egg is laid while he's on screen.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

emminou posted:

It happened to me at some point. I don't think he turns around if the egg is laid while he's on screen.

That was my theory as well; I've had this happen to me a couple times.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

How do you get past the guy in the Lost Hotel? (Pre-E4 if it matters?)

And how do you knock down that wall right by the Lost Hotel?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Tiger Sushi posted:

vv You got that wrong, that's sawsbuck.

Speaking of which, how is Sawsbuck going to work in X & Y?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

How do you get past the guy in the Lost Hotel? (Pre-E4 if it matters?)

And how do you knock down that wall right by the Lost Hotel?

You want to go to Lumiose and talk to people on skates. They'll teach you four 'tricks' that will make you stylish enough to get in.

Rock-smash (I think, I don't know the specific wall)!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

You want to go to Lumiose and talk to people on skates. They'll teach you four 'tricks' that will make you stylish enough to get in.

Rock-smash (I think, I don't know the specific wall)!

Is it at all worth returning to that nigh-impossible to navigate city?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

IIRC there's a tm and a couple of cool items that are inaccessible otherwise.

Also, it's not that unmanageable to be honest. I use the inner route for everything now (the one that goes through every plaza). Once you memorize the five plaza names (and can eye-ball what you're looking for on the roads) you can find things much quicker.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sandwolf posted:

There's a map in the OP I think. Also, you can just take a taxi wherever you need to go. If you're not taking a taxi though, bike and only use the circle pad.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Sandwolf posted:

You get taught a pretty rad skating trick and theres a TM (but not dark pulse, which is why I did it. Turns out you need cut and the water hms to get Dark Pulse). I'd say its worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
This is the dumbest loving ability.

• Locked thread