Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Does MC have a modding API yet? I think that was supposed to be in 1.7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

PiCroft posted:

Does MC have a modding API yet? I think that was supposed to be in 1.7

Not an official one. Forge is as close to a modding API as there is so far.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Magmarashi posted:

My major problem with BoP is that it's annoying as all hell to find a decent flat-ish biome in which to build a main base. I like huge cliffs and uneven terrain as much as anybody, but I'd like a place to settle that isn't so goddamn busy all the time
This is why, when I made my server, I went through a LOT of seeds to see what I would get, before settling on one. I wanted one with a mostly-flat-ish area near spawn, with a decent forest nearby, and preferably horses not far away (the girl I play with wanted horses). It took about two dozen tries to get one I liked.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Does anyone know of a modpack with Tinker's Construct, Thaum 4, some tech mods and Biomes O Plenty? I tried making my own by building off tekkit and as it turns out there's not actually a live build for BOP that runs in 1.5.2, and I know my laptop can't handle creating a pack from scratch.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Erogenous Beef posted:

I'll take a look into that latter case, that's a bit weird. The fuel usage is due to heat; higher heat = faster fuel usage and also less power per unit of fuel used. Generally, the higher heat's higher instant power output makes up for it.

Tools (blocks, etc.) for managing heat and changing internal reactor dynamics will be coming in 0.3 and above. The planned coolant system will let you squeeze far more power out of your reactor, provided you want to get spergy with pipes and stuff. There'll also eventually be better ways to reprocess or breed spent fuel back into usable fuel. Tools for changing internal reactor dynamics should also help fix the "one best design" problem; I'd prefer there to be tradeoffs and choices.
Those changes sound great. Can't wait for 1.6.x+ versions. I don't think there is anything to look at. It's a working as intended thing as far as I could tell, because the heat is also very low in that situation.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 14, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Pidmon posted:

Does anyone know of a modpack with Tinker's Construct, Thaum 4, some tech mods and Biomes O Plenty? I tried making my own by building off tekkit and as it turns out there's not actually a live build for BOP that runs in 1.5.2, and I know my laptop can't handle creating a pack from scratch.

Well, first, it'd have to be for 1.6.4, because Thaumcraft 4 isn't for 1.5.2. Also, building a modpack isn't that hard (nor any more hard on a machine than playing it with those mods in the first place). If all you want is just those mods, grab 'em and load 'em up in a new instance of Minecraft, sort out any conflicts you may have, and make sure to adjust any config settings you want changed, and you're good to go. (If you're sharing this with friends/a server, that part I can't really help you with - I just dropbox mine to my friends for my server.)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pidmon posted:

I feel like kind of a jerk for constantly linking this, but people keep asking, so.... Yes. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583789

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Ah yeah, thank you for that. I can't remember what my issue was when I tried to join in, I think it was laggy or something? In any case I can point my friends to your mudpack with ease now. Thank you a lot!

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Taffer posted:

I feel like kind of a jerk for constantly linking this, but people keep asking, so.... Yes. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583789

Think you could share the server client for this?

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

PiCroft posted:

Its a shame azanor keeps rebuilding Thaumcraft. I kind of miss its crazy pipe and liquid Vis system. I think a previous version had something similar to Runecraft where you put symbols on walls and could have an instant portal for example.

On the one hand its nice that it stays pretty tight and delivering core features as best as possible rather than tossing loads of features in that aren't fleshed out very well, but it also means having to relearn how the mechanics work for every version, something I find really irritating, and losing neat machines and mechanics is never good.

I'm very grateful he got rid of Taint though. As much as I was banging on about corruption-spreading stuff, generating a new world and then discovering the land near your base is naturally tainted and keeps spreading endlessly isn't that fun.

I think the taint in Thaumcraft 4 doesn't go beyond the biome borders (at least for naturally spawning taint biomes?) I've got a taint biome right near my spawn and it doesn't seem to be spreading.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

greententacle posted:

I think the taint in Thaumcraft 4 doesn't go beyond the biome borders (at least for naturally spawning taint biomes?) I've got a taint biome right near my spawn and it doesn't seem to be spreading.

It gets really nasty after a while though, doesn't it? Crusted Taint.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

KingLemming posted:

Suggestion for your coolants - go through the Fluid Registry and find anything with some sort of "low" temperature. Add that. :)

(Cryotheum's temp is 50 btw; that's in Kelvin)

I actually need to take a closer look at how the temperature attribute on fluids works. I'm assuming it means "natural" temperature, and isn't runtime-modifiable on a per-FluidStack basis? (Because if it is modifiable at runtime, and I can mix two FluidStacks of an identical fluid with different temperatures and receive a FluidStack with an appropriately changed temperature - assuming perfect mixing - then that makes the system a whole lot more interesting.)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

greententacle posted:

It spreads, but it needs to establish in that checker-board pattern first.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

KingLemming posted:

No, nothing in TE accepts MJ. This includes conduits. RF only. Conduits are able to output to MJ receptors, however.

The first tier of Energy Conduit only requires glass.

Will we be getting more engine choices?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Taffer posted:

Don't feel bad. It's an active server and starting to get pretty interesting. I think the lag comes from Twilight Forest, but it's not really often enough to matter.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sir Lucius posted:

Don't feel bad. It's an active server and starting to get pretty interesting. I think the lag comes from Twilight Forest, but it's not really often enough to matter.

Yeah, that should only happen during world gen. I just have to restart it pretty often to flush out the junk MC leaves behind in the RAM after world gen and it stays fairly smooth.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
How the gently caress do you refine uranium in Atomic Science? I'm running a modpack I made myself for me and a few friends that's basically Toast + Hexxit with a few other things thrown in (I call it Texxit, yee haw) and I'm trying to make a Big Reactor, but can't find enough yellorium, so I want to refine uranium, but putting it in the centrifuge doesn't do anything. Being a UE mod, there's no documentation whatsoever that isn't from 2012, so I have no idea.

But also, does anyone else use Underground Biomes and Big Reactors together? I've turned up the ore generation for yellorium (I think; 1.0 spawn chance, 1.5 multiplier), enabled retrogen, increased the amount of veins and blocks per vein, restricted it to y32 and lower, and still have found nothing. Artifice retrogen is working, and I thought they shared the same code for that (that's a logical leap I made from reading this thread so forgive me if that's incorrect) so I should be seeing yellorium ore, but nope. I can't tell if it's underground biomes interfering with it or something else.

To be fair, I also have Metallurgy 3 and CoFH Core doing world gen, but again, Artifice and other non-CoFH/non-Metallurgy mods are all spawning ore just fine, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Finally, as another potential solution, I thought about using Metallurgy 3 to add my own custom yellorium spawn, but I can't find documentation for adding custom ore generation anywhere. Is that still possible, or was that just a Metallurgy 2 thing?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Can anyone help diagnose a server crashlog? This is from a modpack that works fine in singleplayer, but it gets a crash when I run it on my server.

http://pastebin.com/3pjQnh5e

Fortis posted:

How the gently caress do you refine uranium in Atomic Science?

The process, I believe, is Chemical Extractor -> (Yellowcake) -> Nuclear Boiler -> (Uranium Hexaflouride) -> Centrifuge -> (Refined Uranium). Uranium Hexaflouride is a liquid, and will transfer directly from the boiler to the centrifuge automatically if they are adjacent.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 14, 2013

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Zan's Minimap. Remove it from the server modpack; it's a client side mod.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

Zan's Minimap. Remove it from the server modpack; it's a client side mod.

How does the teleporting work on a server then? I want to keep that feature.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You need to be an op, it just calls the teleport command.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ah, ok. I suppose I'll find a serverside mod to publicize permission on /tp then.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Fortis posted:

But also, does anyone else use Underground Biomes and Big Reactors together? I've turned up the ore generation for yellorium (I think; 1.0 spawn chance, 1.5 multiplier), enabled retrogen, increased the amount of veins and blocks per vein, restricted it to y32 and lower, and still have found nothing. Artifice retrogen is working, and I thought they shared the same code for that (that's a logical leap I made from reading this thread so forgive me if that's incorrect) so I should be seeing yellorium ore, but nope. I can't tell if it's underground biomes interfering with it or something else.

With those settings, you should always be getting the maximum number of clusters per chunk, and each cluster should be the maximum size as you've defined in the config.

The problem might be that BR will only retrogen a chunk once. If it's already seen the chunk (and I haven't bumped an internal retrogen version number), it'll still skip the chunk even with retrogen on. Alternately, Underground Biomes might be interfering - hard to say, as I've not tested with it.

I'll add a user-facing setting that you can use to force the mod to re-run retrogen in the 0.2.x line.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Erogenous Beef posted:

I actually need to take a closer look at how the temperature attribute on fluids works. I'm assuming it means "natural" temperature, and isn't runtime-modifiable on a per-FluidStack basis? (Because if it is modifiable at runtime, and I can mix two FluidStacks of an identical fluid with different temperatures and receive a FluidStack with an appropriately changed temperature - assuming perfect mixing - then that makes the system a whole lot more interesting.)

The temperature in the Fluid Registry is the natural one, yes. FluidStacks are NBT sensitive, but there's no established standard for exactly how that should work. You'd need to make your own "coolant blend" and keep track of it internally.

Definitely doable though.

Oh, and on a side note - can you make it so Yellorium is most prevalent around y12? The pun is too good to pass up.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
Hey folks.

I want to make a modpack for my girlfriend and I to play together on a Hamachi LAN. I made the pack, downloaded it and it works fine for me, but she gets a black screen when she tries to run it. I gave a couple of my friends the URL to see if they had problems with it too, but they didn't; they could run it just fine. It's only my girlfriend having a problem. She can run Hexxit and the other Technic packs fine; it's only the one I made that's not working. It's 1.5.2, and she's on a Mac and I'm on PC, if that matters. I just cannot fathom what can be wrong, we've been troubleshooting it for about a week now. Any help is appreciated, I'm going nuts over here.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Pity Boi posted:

Hey folks.

I want to make a modpack for my girlfriend and I to play together on a Hamachi LAN. I made the pack, downloaded it and it works fine for me, but she gets a black screen when she tries to run it. I gave a couple of my friends the URL to see if they had problems with it too, but they didn't; they could run it just fine. It's only my girlfriend having a problem. She can run Hexxit and the other Technic packs fine; it's only the one I made that's not working. It's 1.5.2, and she's on a Mac and I'm on PC, if that matters. I just cannot fathom what can be wrong, we've been troubleshooting it for about a week now. Any help is appreciated, I'm going nuts over here.

Has she updated java to the latest version?

I remember during my short tenure as a server admin macs were the worst because apple likes to gently caress around with the jre. I think at the time the only version of java it was literally possible to install on a mac was 15 versions out of date.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
For those who haven't checked out Opis yet and can stand Direwolf20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir-qsafyH8w

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

The process, I believe, is Chemical Extractor -> (Yellowcake) -> Nuclear Boiler -> (Uranium Hexaflouride) -> Centrifuge -> (Refined Uranium). Uranium Hexaflouride is a liquid, and will transfer directly from the boiler to the centrifuge automatically if they are adjacent.
This. Also, there's probably a bug (it's in the version of Atomic Science in Tekkit, at least) that every uranium that's chemically extracted after the first yields 1 yellowcake instead of 3 if yellowcake's allowed to stay in the machine, so you'll probably want to have pipes or some other system extracting yellowcake as it's produced.

You might also get Breeder Uranium instead of Enriched Uranium at a ratio of roughly 3:1, depending.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Clairetic posted:

Whats wrong with direwolf?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

PiCroft posted:

Whats wrong with direwolf?

Common complaints seem to be:

1) Annoying voice.
2) Annoying catch phrases used in every video.
3) Doesn't rehearse or rehearses badly, often stumbling over explaining poo poo, or hasn't bothered to fully read up on something so gets confused when something isn't working/gives out bad information.
4) Drama around his position in the MC community.
5) Is more long winded than my own forum posts.

I personally cannot stand him because he is the type of person I just want to grab by the shoulders, shake really hard, and scream "GET ON WITH IT!" at. :v:

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible

Enzer posted:

3) Doesn't rehearse or rehearses badly, often stumbling over explaining poo poo, or hasn't bothered to fully read up on something so gets confused when something isn't working/gives out bad information.

Has no preparation beyond "install mod". Hell even some of the worst offenders of youtube will still leave a 3/4 finished build of something to show off on screen, instead of rooting through NEI for the items he needs then stumbling across the building of a multiblock structure.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Clairetic posted:

1.6+, sadly. Those of us on 1.5 can still enjoy the excellent TickProfiler which does exactly what Opis does without the hand-holding.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Clairetic posted:

Now that I've seen this in use I'll have to start using it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sorus posted:

Now that I've seen this in use I'll have to start using it.

Me too; I'm going to abuse the hell out of it this weekend.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

mechaet posted:

1.6+, sadly. Those of us on 1.5 can still enjoy the excellent TickProfiler which does exactly what Opis does without the hand-holding.

Update to 1.6 because you have every mod ever in 1.6.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Dementedghost posted:

Has no preparation beyond "install mod". Hell even some of the worst offenders of youtube will still leave a 3/4 finished build of something to show off on screen, instead of rooting through NEI for the items he needs then stumbling across the building of a multiblock structure.

Is there someone more succinct around these days? I started going to direwolf because I could never find anyone else who would explain how mods worked without having it be part of a 2 hour long video where 90% of the audio is silence and 'ummmmmm' and 'not sure why this isn't..working...'

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Varjon posted:

Is there someone more succinct around these days? I started going to direwolf because I could never find anyone else who would explain how mods worked without having it be part of a 2 hour long video where 90% of the audio is silence and 'ummmmmm' and 'not sure why this isn't..working...'

I have been very tempted to start doing it myself, for that very reason. Most spotlighters have incredibly annoying voices, have no clue, stumble around a lot, or are Direwolf. Sadly, I have no microphone and I'm not sure my voice is up to it.

Edit: or they have some stupid annoying gimmick.

Serifina fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 15, 2013

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Varjon posted:

Yell at Wylker to make new videos.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serifina posted:

I have been very tempted to start doing it myself, for that very reason. Most spotlighters have incredibly annoying voices, have no clue, stumble around a lot, or are Direwolf. Sadly, I have no microphone and I'm not sure my voice is up to it.

Edit: or they have some stupid annoying gimmick.

Do it. Direwolf being the only guy who does it that isn't like 13 years old is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

Do it. Direwolf being the only guy who does it that isn't like 13 years old is terrible.

I think you missed the part of me not having a microphone. (I actually might somewhere, but I have no idea how bad it is.)

• Locked thread