Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Kaliber posted:

gently caress running!

One of my favourite things about civ life: no running. Its awesome. I can just work out and do whatever, whenever. And I don't have anyone hounding me to improve my run times for the PFT or anything like that.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
So there's a pl meet in pendleton this coming january. I'm going to go for it.

I'm going to get my rear end handed to me, but whatever. I hear you get a participation slap on the back.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Every rear end in a top hat in Kuwait does cross fit. It's horrible. And all they do is shame me for weight training.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is a guy I used to work with and all around awesome dude. He got his pro card back in 2011 and is shooting for natural olympia next.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/military-bodybuilder-of-the-month-arvin-combs.html

He says get out and lift a weight. He spent a few years in the army before joining the navy and is up for E-9 as a sonar tech. Dude loving owns.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Dude McAwesome posted:

One of my favourite things about civ life: no running. Its awesome. I can just work out and do whatever, whenever. And I don't have anyone hounding me to improve my run times for the PFT or anything like that.

That's what I do now since there's no organized PT.

EDIT: What the gently caress is that with the pre work out name "craze" and it having meth in it? I been using that for 2 months now.....

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 16, 2013

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Kaliber posted:

What the gently caress is that with the pre work out name "craze" and it having meth in it? I been using that for 2 months now.....

There seems to be an anti-pwo anti-swole-gains witch hunt going on. I managed to get the original DMAA jack3d before they decided it was too unsafe to trust the general public with because some people don't know how to read the instructions

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
That stuff was good. The new micronized stuff, or the stuff sold to look like old Jack3d doesn't cut it though. I'm pretty fond of 1MR these days.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I like musclepharm assault. Not that it does much for me other than ensuring a poop which is great.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I started using Assault a few weeks ago. It's mellow enough that I can take it for both regular lifting workouts, and HIIT sessions. Unlike some other brands I've tried that cause me to crash after only a few minutes of exercise. Apparently I'm too big of a wuss for that hardcore poo poo.

yesterdays weakling workout:

5-10 minutes of upper body warmups

bench
2x20 45
1x3 95
1x3 135
3x3 205

plyo pushups
5x3

bench
1x3 135 (with sling shot)
3x3 205 (with sling shot)
3x3 225 (with sling shot)
3x14 135 (with fat gripz)

pushups
15x

incline db press
1x20 15
3x14 35

pushups
15x

flat db flies
1x20 5
3x14 15

pushups
15x

tricep pushdowns
1x20 30
1x14 50
2x14 40

pushups
15x

seated bb overhead tri ext
1x20 15
3x14 35

pushups
15x

one arm tri pushdowns
3x14 20

pushups
15x

1 minute or less rest between all sets

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 16, 2013

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Dear FDA, please stop banning all of the cool PWO's tia

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
How come when I'm doing situps portion of APFT I either feel all of it in my thighs or my abs, never both? Does it have to do with the distance between my rear end and the person holding my feet (i.e. how far legs extended)?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Correct. If you like to stretch your legs out as much as possible, like me, you'll feel it in your hip flexors. Closer together, and you're more likely to feel it in your abs.

This also has to do with your body build, and the gently caress nut holding your feet. Some will hold your toes, some will hold your ankles, some are limp dick little twinks who can't hold poo poo, and some have ADHD and keep switching their grip. Also, your body build comes into account as well. Also, ham string flexibility, and the flexibility of your spine. And throw the weight balance between your torso and legs into the mix.

Basically, situps are supposed to test muscular endurance of your core, and for most people do no such thing.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I know SEALFIT has been mentioned a few times. I think anyone that does that Kokoro poo poo is a loving idiot. You get pay to get treated like you're in Hell Week without the chance to ever be a SEAL.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Been doing really well with the deadlift the past few months. Last week I did a pretty easy 5x5 at 350 followed by triples at 375, 385 and 410. 3x410 being a rep PR for me. This week I hit 5x5 at 365 with a triple at 385. For accessory work, I would do heavy barbell rows as a 4x8 245 and maybe glute ham raises. The past month I've just been tripling after the working sets up to what I can do on that day. Weighed in at 185 today as well.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I started doing deficit deads and I hit 360 (I'm 170) the other day. I hope can hit 400 by early next year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Good lifts, both of you.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
drat, impressive. I just started doing dead lifts a few months ago. I'm pretty tall with long legs, I used to loving hate doing them. My knees kept getting in the way. I've started doing sumo deadlifts, they're easier for me to do. Max is only like 200 right now though, wish I knew about sumo deadlifts when I first started lifting, would be much higher now. Especially since it's my new favorite lift.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Good progress dudes.

Hit some training percentages from before I got injured inj august this week. 3x3 @ 245 for back squat and 3x3 @ 275 for dl with only a minute rest between sets. I've been working out like a god drat maniac and eating better and it's paying off.

I really wish I paid more attention to my diet the past 2 years.

stevenolson88
Sep 30, 2009

Current training cycle is killing my ability to eat right and work out. Been in the field Monday-Friday almost every week since August. That means MREs, minimal sleep, and no time to go to the gym except for maybe one day on the weekends. I was doing really well following a program up until then and noticed some significant gains since the beginning of the year too. Cool story, Hansel.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Kuwait has been awesome for me. No beer (not really awesome) has improved my health and workouts dramatically. I have energy to run in the morning (3-5 mi), work all day, lift after work, and go to some goofy ab class or yoga class so that I can see some girls in spandex to keep sane. That and I get all the free chicken and vegetables I can eat :unsmith:

Hoping to bench 315, squat 405, and dead lift 500 (consistently) before I leave. Currently at 285, 385, and 475 respectively. Oh, and I can see my abs now that I'm not drowning myself in Coors to forget that I'm stationed in North Dakota.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I signed up for a body building competition this April. I'm fat and only slightly ripped and not proportional and it's going to be sooo embarrassing.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

No bro you gotta show up fat as gently caress and shotgun a beer on stage, then either pass out or vomit and then pass out. But not before yelling "HOOOAAAAAAAAAAH"

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Got dead lift socks in the mail then proceeded to murder 405lbs for 3 sets of 3 with a minute rest between sets

without a belt, and yesterday was squat day...without a belt

full workout for today:

warmups

then
dl
1x20 45
1x3 135
1x3 225
1x3 315
3x3 405 setting this poo poo down gracefully so I don't blow out the senior's hearing aids adds to the challenge.

rack pull
1x3 225
3x3 315

dl
3x14 135

hang clean
3x3 135

pullups 6x

lat pull down
1x20 30
3x14 100

pullups 6x

seated rows
1x20 30
3x14 100

pullups 6x

bent over rows
1x20 45
3x14 55

pullups 6x

ez curls
1x20 15
3x14 45

pullups 6x

concentration curls hammer grip
3x14 10 db

pullups 6x

reverse curls
3x14 25

pullups 6x

minute rest between all sets

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh poo poo nice job!

PR'ed today at 5x413 deadlift. Weighed in at 184. I don't pull with a belt either. Not like I haven't tried using both a 10mm leather belt and a Spuds Inc one. belts are massively uncomfortable for me for deadlifting.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Nice! What are deadlift socks and should I buy them?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ashmole posted:

Nice! What are deadlift socks and should I buy them?

Wear sweatpants and Chuck Taylors. All those socks do is give a barrier between the barbell and your shins. Here's a secret though: you're gonna bleed anyway.

bloops fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 13, 2013

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I got Metal brand socks for like 20 bucks. Sweats are a good alternative, but I plan on competing in a meet in the future so I sprung for one of the pieces of gear I'd have to lift in. plus my shins are pretty banged up from only using normal socks the past couple years. I guess if you dress like Carl from ATHF and don't plan on going to meets, you'd be set.

When I use a belt for dling, I put it a little higher than I would for a squat. Too low and it feels like it's pinching my mid section

Also, chucks are the best lifting shoes ever. I've had the same pair for over 2 years now. For crossfit I just wear military boots because I never know what I'll be doing. Good for running good for squatting and all that other stuff thanks to the hard soles and elevated heel.

e: grats on the pr. Pretty solid for that body weight.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 13, 2013

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I've never worn a belt for squats, but maybe I should.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

holocaust bloopers posted:

Wear sweatpants and Chuck Taylors. All those socks do is give a barrier between the barbell and your shins. Here's a secret though: you're gonna bleed anyway.

I always wear chucks in the gym, only exception being the extremely rare times I do cardio, I'll throw a pair of running shoes in my bag.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Ashmole posted:

It helps keep you upright if you find yourself stopping because your back is getting fatigued before your legs, which is very common. They also help prevent hernias, but it's mainly to aid in the lower back fatigue. Some people tend to only don the belt for heavy/max/high rep sets that way they can get their core warmed up pretty thoroughly before the big lifts. This way they don't train to rely on the belt for everything.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ashmole posted:

Ehhhh.

My opinion of this is a belt is for a meet. Lifting in one just to lift in one can short you on making higher weights/reps if used consistently. Taking me for example, I squatted with a belt early in the year and was hitting in the low 300's for triples and singles. I can now do those same weights/reps without a belt just from a basic 5x5 + accessory work. I think there's more worth in hitting higher weights without a belt if lifting is just a hobby.

edit: every guy who's ever lifted probably has something to say on this so do whatever or read up on using a belt and go from there. Inzer makes good poo poo. Single-prong 10mm Forever belt is great.

bloops fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 14, 2013

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Here's a secret though: you're gonna bleed anyway.

Bleeding? Are you dragging the bar up your shins?! Is this so common that people wear special DL socks?

I'm just really confused, I've never seen DL socks, nor have I ever seen someone pissing out blood from their shins while in the gym.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

Bleeding? Are you dragging the bar up your shins?! Is this so common that people wear special DL socks?

I'm just really confused, I've never seen DL socks, nor have I ever seen someone pissing out blood from their shins while in the gym.

The closer the bar is to you the easier it is to pick up, so if you are lifting at/near your max you will probably end up dragging the bar on your shins. If you are lifting substantial weight you will cause your shins to bleed if you aren't wearing pants, and even if you are wearing pants you will probably still bleed a little.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dude McAwesome posted:

Setting up on the barbell requires you to pull the slack out of it and the actual deadlift isn't a straight up/down movement, but up and back so yea it's grazing my shins and knees.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Someone thought I was wearing 2 PT shirts today. I was only wearing one #swole.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm really inconsistent on the bench press. For the past month and some change, I've been stuck at 230 for a 5x5 where, on some days, I can hit 4 sets and the last one has to be split into a triple then double and on other days it's just a struggle to hit 3 sets. I think the simplest explanation to it is that I'm just lovely at the bench. My technique isn't dialed in like it is for the deadlift. It also doesn't help I have a nagging AC joint sprain from last summer that decides to flare up randomly so there's some days where I just can't even go past ~200 lb on the bench without more discomfort than usual.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

I'm really inconsistent on the bench press. For the past month and some change, I've been stuck at 230 for a 5x5 where, on some days, I can hit 4 sets and the last one has to be split into a triple then double and on other days it's just a struggle to hit 3 sets. I think the simplest explanation to it is that I'm just lovely at the bench. My technique isn't dialed in like it is for the deadlift. It also doesn't help I have a nagging AC joint sprain from last summer that decides to flare up randomly so there's some days where I just can't even go past ~200 lb on the bench without more discomfort than usual.

If you can do 230 5x5, you can probably safely stop doing starting strength.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

If you can do 230 5x5, you can probably safely stop doing starting strength.

A 5x5 is just easy to follow and progress on. I also don't bench with anyone so there's a limit to how much I can push it without getting stuck under a barbell. I can't really rely on random gym people for spots either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

A 5x5 is just easy to follow and progress on. I also don't bench with anyone so there's a limit to how much I can push it without getting stuck under a barbell. I can't really rely on random gym people for spots either.

Its a program designed for new people to get into lifting and make progress. Whatever floats your boat though.