Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

miasmacloud posted:

Is the leg shot of Waller at the start of this episode supposed to tell us that she was also the pair of legs from the end of season 1?

Every time a female character is revealed, the shot always starts from the heels and then reveals the rest of her body (see also: Isabel getting out of the car this episode).

That's just the way it is in TV and film. Don't ask me why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shakugan posted:

This episode was weird and everyone seemed out of character. Somehow exploding and mowing down russian prison guards is totally ok despite Ollie changing his ways (especially considering those guards aren't "bad guys"), Diggle just letting Deadshot go for no reason whatsoever (inevitably for him to end up in his old profession). Seriously, how many innocent people died/will die in the Arrowverse because of Diggle's actions in this episode?

Then of course, the Felicity drama, ughh. Up until this point she's always made the double entendres, Ollie doesn't take them seriously, everyone has a good laugh etc. But this episode has clearly established Ollie and Felicity as a thing, and it's totally and completely unnecessary.

Pretty much my thoughts, this wasn't a great episode.
I was hoping it was going to be explaining what Ollie's doing in the Russian mob actually.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 14, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
They've been pushing the Felicity crush so hard since the start of this season that this is nothing if not predictable.

...Well, her reaction and the melodrama attached, anyway. The Isabel quickie caught me off guard.

I thought this was a really good episode, but that's entirely because it's a Diggle heavy episode, and Diggle rules. Plus, if this leads to Slade/Deathstroke coming back sooner rather than later, I am all over that.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

oh jay posted:

Every time a female character is revealed, the shot always starts from the heels and then reveals the rest of her body (see also: Isabel getting out of the car this episode).

Eh, only reason I bring it up is cause they specifically made it tall red pointy pumps in both scenes.

If it is her, then drat. Waller liked those shoes so much she kept them for 6 years. Or she bought like 20 pairs.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This show is the greatest. I'm not a fan of the Ollie/Felicity thing though.

But Zelenka! I sure hope we see a lot more of him. Him being a Russian badass is the greatest thing ever. :allears:

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Also everyone complaining about killing the guards. Ollie's friend Zelenka talked about how the guards are pretty awful. We also see that if you get in a minor fight they stick you in a freezer or at least a room with no heat for a few hours. How many people can survive extended exposure like that? Not that it justifies killing BUT these guards aren't innocent guys just doing their job.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I didn't even see Ollie kill any of the guards himself. That was all Diggle and... Lyla?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

XboxPants posted:

How's Ollie's Russian? As someone who knows almost nothing about the language it sounds cool to me, but I'm sure it's far from perfect. Is it at least, like, not terrible? Glau supposedly has a good Russian accent, though it doesn't look like they're giving her a lot of chance to use it.

His Russian is pretty terrible, to the point where I have no idea what he said to the guy during the truck deal, other than it being some threat. The scene back at the hotel was much better and his "I think I've had enough to drink" was at least mostly intelligible. In his defense, literally no one in Hollywood speaks Russian well. Hell, it's usually a miracle if the actor/actresses manages to actually pronounce half of the words correctly, but even then the emphasis is always a bit off and the general flow of the language just isn't something you can teach to a non-native speaker. I imagine it's the case for most languages, but any native speaker can immediately tell whether or not someone's actually Russian or if they're just mumbling some lines they learned. The guards and waiter at the hotel, for example, were all native speakers while the dude who tried to double-cross them during the truck deal wasn't.

As for the actual episode, I thought it was a bit weak as well, although it's mostly because of the Ollie/Felicity stuff being awkwardly shoved out there. I did like that they acknowledged that it's weird that some random IT girl got this crazy promotion seemingly out of nowhere. Also Thea not just telling Roy that she's breaking up with him for her mom was pretty dumb, but at least they used that to set up the scene at the prison so I'll give it a pass.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

His Mandarin is marginally better though.

edit: And it's not like Russian and Mandarin are easy languages either.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 14, 2013

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Very curious about his threat during the attempted double-cross, maybe he name-dropped someone big in the Russian mob (or maybe he has some fame in the mob)?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I don't have any inherent problem with Felicity and Ollie. They could be a fun couple. The problem to me is that it they're never gonna stay together, so it just seems kinda pointless, especially if that messes up the great non-romantic relationship they currently (previously?) have.

Eddain posted:

Very curious about his threat during the attempted double-cross, maybe he name-dropped someone big in the Russian mob (or maybe he has some fame in the mob)?

I doubt it's anything interesting; we're probably better off not knowing. We're not supposed to know what was said, and we're supposed to let out imaginations run wild to fill in the blanks ourselves. Same trick as when Batman whispers something to a criminal that makes him break down and spill all his secrets.

Sometimes it's worth looking up what people are saying when it's not subtitled, but it's rare. If the viewer needed to know what was being said, it'd have subtitles. 9 out of 10 times when you look up untranslated dialog, it's completely mundane, "oh, that's pretty much exactly what I figured they were saying" fare. It's intentionally written so that you get what's happening even if you don't understand the dialog.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 14, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I thought Ivo said Miraclo not Miracle. Works either way and now we have a setup for the Hourman series. Are Doctor Midnite and Wildcat next? Also Chekhov's Particle Accelerator is being protested. Nothing bad can happen from that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why would the Chinese have a word that translates into a nonsensical word?

"Yes it's english translation from Chinese is snarglinibo"

I'm pretty sure he said Miracle. Miraclo isn't a word and if he did say " Yes in english it means Nonsensical word" then that is dumb :(

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Why would the chinese research a weapon for the japanese during WW2 ?

EDIT:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I thought Ivo said Miraclo not Miracle.
Probably miraculu. Japanese add a "u" sound often when they pick words from other languages.

Dantes fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 14, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dantes posted:

Why would the chinese research a weapon for the japanese during WW2 ?

EDIT:

Probably miraculu. Japanese add a "u" sound often when they pick words from other languages.

This is correct. It'd be spelled different but yeah, he was saying miraculu which is just a loan word originally coming from miracle.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dantes posted:

"mirakuru" is a more accurate transcription. Japanese adds vowels in between any consonant string, because Japanese words have to have consonants separated by vowels.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Awesome show as always, but I really don't like the fact that they're starting to push this Oliver/Felicity relationship thing in the open and are actually going to make it a plot point now. It was fine when it was going on in the background, but the fact that its now a plot point makes me uneasy.

Honestly I wouldn't be so bothered by it if not for the fact that I learned that Felicity was supposed to just be a one-shot character who they brought back because the fans responded kindly to her. I mean bringing her back and into the Team Arrow fold is one thing since she has resulted in fun moments, and I was fine with the minor hints of stuff like her being attracted to him, but I really preferred that relationship to stay platonic overall and not impact the course of the story and character dynamics.
I know its okay to respond to strong fan feedback in some cases to improve the show but it just feels that by suddenly introducing an Oliver/Felicity romantic dynamic that they're altering their initial creative plans in order to cater to the idiots on Tumblr and fanfiction.net who are like "OMG I SHIP OLIVER/FELICITY SO HARD MY WHOLE ENJOYMENT OF THIS SHOW IS BASED ON WHETHER OR NOT THESE TWO CHARACTERS GET TOGETHER."

I mean I realize that this is a minor complaint and that the rest of the show totally kicks rear end and I love it, but it seems very clear to me that the creators of the show never had any intention of Oliver/Felicity ever being a thing, and I just really hate the idea that the creative vision of the showrunners (which has proven to be VERY entertaining and rewarding so far) is being compromised by them feeling like they have to cater to the needs of the obsessive internet shipping fandom people.

I mean if I didn't know that internet reaction was the only reason that led them to give Felicity a larger role and thought it was in their plans the entire time I wouldn't care at all and would trust them, but the fact that I know for a fact that all this Felicity/Oliver romance stuff is something that they didn't have in the plans at all and are only shoehorning in because they want to cater to obsessive "I SHIP THEM SO HARD" people on the internet kind of bothers me a lot.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 14, 2013

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Some Numbers posted:

"mirakuru" is a more accurate transcription. Japanese adds vowels in between any consonant string, because Japanese words have to have consonants separated by vowels.
Since we stopped being helpful and began being spergy I'll say my spelling of that word we only heard and is never written with letters in the first place is more accurate than yours since it was spoken by a filty gaijin whom obviously didn't said it right in the first place.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Did someone understand what the name of the German project was? I listened to it 10 times now and still can't make it out despite me being a native speaker.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Das Uranverein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nuclear_energy_project

took me 12 listens and a bit of google fu

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, the Ollie/Felicity thing is super disappointing.

But hey, it was kind of nice to see the expressive face of Summer Glau used for things like smiling instead of just being an emotionless robot for once.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I liked how they handled the supposed thea/roy breakup. Every other show would have run that poo poo into the ground.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
They came back on a plane with Isabelle AND lyla right? And Isabel wasn't slightly curious?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
her legs were still quivering.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Das Uranverein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nuclear_energy_project

took me 12 listens and a bit of google fu

Der Uranverein would have been correct.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Pillowpants posted:

They came back on a plane with Isabelle AND lyla right? And Isabel wasn't slightly curious?

She seems to know that they are up to something, and that its best to just go with it and do some digging on her own than ask why Oliver, his assistant, and Diggle take jet off to Russia, never meet with their Moscow subsidiary, and then return with a strange woman, and a few cuts and bruises.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

oh jay posted:

They were wearing the exact same shoes though. I'm struggling with the idea that the show could show a shadowy figure, where the only thing you can see clearly is the distinctive shoes, and then focus on those exact same shoes again, only for it to be a coincidence. I think it's her.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

They were wearing the exact same shoes though. I'm struggling with the idea that the show could show a shadowy figure, where the only thing you can see clearly is the distinctive shoes, and then focus on those exact same shoes again, only for it to be a coincidence. I think it's her.

For those of us that have terrible memories, can you clarify the context of the previous scene?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Merlinicus posted:

For those of us that have terrible memories, can you clarify the context of the previous scene?

I think it was the person that Edward Fyers was reporting to.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

She seems to know that they are up to something, and that its best to just go with it and do some digging on her own than ask why Oliver, his assistant, and Diggle take jet off to Russia, never meet with their Moscow subsidiary, and then return with a strange woman, and a few cuts and bruises.

I read the Isabel stuff this episode as she's trying to manipulate Ollie for whatever nefarious reasons are out there. I figure she knows something's up with Ollie and while she knows he's not simply a dumb playboy, she's not quite sure yet what he really is.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

bbf2 posted:

I mean if I didn't know that internet reaction was the only reason that led them to give Felicity a larger role and thought it was in their plans the entire time I wouldn't care at all and would trust them, but the fact that I know for a fact that all this Felicity/Oliver romance stuff is something that they didn't have in the plans at all and are only shoehorning in because they want to cater to obsessive "I SHIP THEM SO HARD" people on the internet kind of bothers me a lot.

I don't think it's really shoehorned in at all. Like, sure, if this was the first time they'd shown any reference to it, I could maybe see that, but that's not what happened. They've been unsubtly hinting at it since the first episode of the season. If they changed their plans to include a romance between those two characters, it happened either near the end of season 1 or during the break.

Any weirdness for this is entirely on them not handling it right, and I don't think we've seen enough of that to really judge it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope they have them together for a couple episodes decide that they work better not dating, and go back to their previous relationship.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I really wish they had a older actress playing Amanda Waller. I always have seen her as being a slightly overweight, older women who through sheer force of personality gets things done. Hell maybe just have CCH Pounder play her live.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 14, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

I really wish they had a older actress playing Amanda Waller. I always have seen her as being a slightly overweight, older women who through sheer force of personality gets things done. Hell maybe just have CCH Pounder player her live.

She can lose weight! Why couldn't she?!

And also age.

This is Green Arrow's origin, Waller should be younger at this point.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm pretty sure it's literally illegal for the CW to feature a character who isn't young and/or attractive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Young/thin Waller probably wasn't their choice, that's just how the character is now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Young/thin Waller probably wasn't their choice, that's just how the character is now.

Yeah, it's New 52 Waller. The young part at least makes sense in universe though.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Am I really the only person that saw Diggle looking at his search engine with ominous music, cut to his phone with "H.I.V" in it, and thought some sort of weird drama was going to occur?

It's a combination of mishearing Deadshot (I thought he said Ivo for some reason), and knowing that some Green Arrow character has an STI (I don't read the comics).

Really, just me?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PoshAlligator posted:

Am I really the only person that saw Diggle looking at his search engine with ominous music, cut to his phone with "H.I.V" in it, and thought some sort of weird drama was going to occur?

It's a combination of mishearing Deadshot (I thought he said Ivo for some reason), and knowing that some Green Arrow character has an STI (I don't read the comics).

Really, just me?

Stop hoping for a Lyla/Diggle/Deadshot love triangle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

Really, just me?

No for a second I thought that too and was like "drat that's a way to slip that drama into the show."

• Locked thread