Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jesus christ... The only thing the fire service here charges for is malicious false alarms- Stops little smart arsed kids at school thinking its funny to set off the fire alarm when they have to explain to their parents why they now have a Multiple of $600 (per truck) bill that has 30 days to repay.

Some smart arsed kid set off the alarm at the school my dad teaches at the other day- 4 truck response. They caught him on camera pushing the button. Hello $2400 invoice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Coasterphreak posted:

It's always Maricopa County.

I blame Joe. :argh:

e: VVV potato, potatoe

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 11, 2013

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

I blame the colostomy-baggers that keep voting Joe and his ilk into office.

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003
Buddy was driving his M30 swapped E30 when he broke a rocker...decided to try and limp it home only to have the piece of rocker bouncing around lodge under a cam lobe.

So much for that engine.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
drat to bend a cam like that.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

drat to bend a cam like that.

They don't bend. There's two distinct pieces there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
He probably should have taken the valve cover off and fished the rocker pieces out before limping it home... whoops.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Confused_Donkey posted:

Buddy was driving his M30 swapped E30 when he broke a rocker...decided to try and limp it home only to have the piece of rocker bouncing around lodge under a cam lobe.

So much for that engine.

That looks like a really, really clean m30 too :( rest in peace, little tractor.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Boat posted:

They don't bend. There's two distinct pieces there.

Make that three.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
Both of these pics are from the same '96 VW Golf i just bought on the cheap:

Knew it wouldn't go into 5th gear when I got it, and a few days of driving, and the clutch decides it will no longer disengage. The 5th gear problem is pretty obvious... The sping fell out of the clutch disk, and the part holding the spring in originally, broke off and wedged itself between the flywheel and disc. Fixed a second gear issue inside another trans as this one was too far gone, and got it back on the road. Did all this on saturday, got to the shop at 1:30P, was home by 8:30P with a half hour commute each way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not bad! What'd you do, combine parts from that transmission with the one with 2nd gear issues and slap it back in?

I still need to try out the Jeep AX5 I "built" out of a pile of parts combined from 3 separate grenaded AX5s I got for free. I wonder how bad the gear whine will be - some of the gears I ended up using came from different transmissions so I'm sure they aren't properly lapped together.

e: holy hell, look at the bearing cage in the bearing right where the 5th gear would be on the main cluster shaft.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Confused_Donkey posted:

So much for that engine.

When this happened, I heard a clunk and immediately shut off the engine and paid for a tow truck because I factored in statistics and economics rather than going "Welp, it's still running so I guess it can't be that bad, eh?"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

When this happened, I heard a clunk and immediately shut off the engine and paid for a tow truck because I factored in statistics and economics rather than going "Welp, it's still running so I guess it can't be that bad, eh?"

AMC v8?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Confused_Donkey posted:

So much for that engine.

Not like M30s are expensive :v:

Oddly enough, I know a guy who broke a rocker at the track without knowing it, thrashed it for the rest of the day and drove it home. Replace rocker, drove car until he sold it.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

kastein posted:

Not bad! What'd you do, combine parts from that transmission with the one with 2nd gear issues and slap it back in?

Opened up the trans. with the second gear issue, and replaced the slider and a few other parts from the 020 tranny parts bin at the shop. It's been great since Sat. so far. I used nothing from my original trans. but the drain plug.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Olds 307 from a Caprice Wagon. 4-cylinder horsepower with 8-cylinder fuel economy.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
"Fuse" box for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-HONDA-CB750F-FUSE-BOX-/271275889873?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f294d94d1&vxp=mtr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At first I thought that was weed and I was gonna be like "nice, is that another magical junkyard score or what?" but then I realised the sordid truth :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Slavvy posted:

At first I thought that was weed and I was gonna be like "nice, is that another magical junkyard score or what?" but then I realised the sordid truth :(

It could be both, that's a rather odd way to make a vape though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not a lot worse than the original fuse box. Those glass fuses are poo poo.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Haven't had one burn out yet on my '68 or my '65 Mercury in 6 combined years. Ford's headlight circuit breaker headlight switch tripped all the time, though, until I put relays in. It was not designed for halogens.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

But they're also like $.50 for ten of them...from Radio Shack. If even Radio Shack is charging pennies for something, there's no excuse.

E: Yeah I haven't had any issues on them on both my Enfield or the CB650, or in the Ford RANGERRRR that I had. Though I'll wire in inline automotive blade fuses or a fuse box whenever I do work on a vehicle and have to touch that area of wiring because blade fuse installs are tiny compared to spaced out glass fuses.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 14, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Geirskogul posted:

But they're also like $.50 for ten of them...from Radio Shack. If even Radio Shack is charging pennies for something, there's no excuse.

They're free at the pick 'n' pull...it's the one thing that they never care about when I go looking for old car parts, and it takes just a minute or two to harvest pockets-full of them!

Seconding: they hardly ever burn out on either '68 VW or the '66 Bonneville.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
They're light-years ahead of the lovely ceramic/tin (or copper if you are lucky) bullshit that Volvo managed to get away with all the way up to 1993 on the 240.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Slavvy posted:

It might be weed. We should ship it to 13 inch dick and have him smoke it just to be sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

They're light-years ahead of the lovely ceramic/tin (or copper if you are lucky) bullshit that Volvo managed to get away with all the way up to 1993 on the 240.

Ditto BMW until e34/facelift e30.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

I still have a few of those rolling around in the bottom of a toolbox, last remnants of my old bug. :v:

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
My 944 has them like that. I was assuming it was just an early 80's thing.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

Both the VW and the Niva have those. I've developed a fear of those things. I always put them in with the wire facing me for quick inspection. Trouble with that is if the circuit actually has a decent short it loves to violently blow molten metal all over my hand.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Terrible Robot posted:

As mentioned in other posts, these fuses were popular in European cars. I remember keeping a few of them spare for my parents' 1970s Mercedes

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm having flashbacks to my 122s.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wallaka posted:

Haven't had one burn out yet on my '68 or my '65 Mercury in 6 combined years. Ford's headlight circuit breaker headlight switch tripped all the time, though, until I put relays in. It was not designed for halogens.
I dunno what's going on with those cars but I see them blown out on old bikes all the time. Except they're not blown out from any excess current, and you can't see that they're blown out, because they're disconnected inside the metal end caps for unknown reasons. And the socket connectors they snap into frequently break.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh gently caress those things, I hate those lovely fuses. The 928 and the E21 both have those, I'm looking at adapting a E30 fusebox or building my own to get rid of those little bastards. So sick of twisting fuses in their holders to troubleshoot electrical issues.

On the E21 at least they are under the hood and easy to work on. 928 puts them in the passenger foot well behind a piece of hinged plywood...

not my car, random internet picture

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

NitroSpazzz posted:

On the E21 at least they are under the hood and easy to work on. 928 puts them in the passenger foot well behind a piece of hinged plywood...

not my car, random internet picture

At least with them inside you don't get corrosion issues. The Saab 99 has them under the bonnet in a 'box' with the base and top open to the elements. My saab used to randomly die and loose electrical items. The fix was to open the bonnet and get your hand under the fuses and push all the connectors back in, then wiggle all the fuses.
I have seen more of those fuses on saabs have the strip rust away than have the fuse blow...

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I dunno what's going on with those cars but I see them blown out on old bikes all the time. Except they're not blown out from any excess current, and you can't see that they're blown out, because they're disconnected inside the metal end caps for unknown reasons. And the socket connectors they snap into frequently break.

One of the first modifications people do the Yamaha XS series (the kind of bike I ride) is to replace the fuse block and glass fuses with inline blade-type fuses. Why? Because the fuse block is plastic and is attached under the seat, so if you hit a big bump there's a drat good chance of your rear end crushing the fuse block and all the glass fuses inside. Good job, Yamaha.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Not sure if you'd call this a mechanical failure but it certainly wasn't a mechanical success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-EJ_Z4zHwg (Warning: Contains lots of gratuitous explosions)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The ongoing explosions are a metaphor for the song the person in the first video is listening to.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Mr. Torgue's Propane Delivery Service.

BECAUSE EXPLOSIONS.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

KodiakRS posted:

Not sure if you'd call this a mechanical failure but it certainly wasn't a mechanical success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-EJ_Z4zHwg (Warning: Contains lots of gratuitous explosions)

Will.I.Am. feat Britney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Gee, wonder why the transmission wouldn't go into gear?

PS: transmissions run better on ATF than on water, especially when it's frozen.

(I am pretty sure that's a 93.5-98 jeep grand cherokee with a 4.0L engine, but could be wrong.)