Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WugLyfe posted:

Is there an official build of CWM that works with the Nexus 5 yet?
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Well, balls. Thanks for the quick reply, though!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

I just use Google's USB driver for everything and it works. It's in the extras folder of the SDK.

Doing this, I get the "offline" indicator.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

Tunga posted:

I just use Google's USB driver for everything and it works. It's in the extras folder of the SDK.

This is true, using the USB driver bundled with Google's SDK will work for ADB. I just had better luck getting both ADB and MTP working using Koush's driver on a stock rooted Nexus 4.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

hooah posted:

Make sure adb is up to date. I think you need 1.3 (on the phone, might be wrong). When I upgraded to jb, I had the same off line issue and it was because adb was too old.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

deong posted:

Make sure adb is up to date. I think you need 1.3 (on the phone, might be wrong). When I upgraded to jb, I had the same off line issue and it was because adb was too old.

Ok, stupid question - how do I update adb on the phone? I've ran the SDK manager on my computer and updated the stuff there, but I can't find anything through a quick Google search on how to update adb on the phone.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

hooah posted:

Ok, stupid question - how do I update adb on the phone? I've ran the SDK manager on my computer and updated the stuff there, but I can't find anything through a quick Google search on how to update adb on the phone.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14993855/android-adb-device-offline-cant-issue-commands

They're saying here that if the adb USB driver is out of date. It can't send the prompt to the phone that is required in 4.2/4.3, and to verify that the latest platform-tools is installed in your SDK. Try opening your SDK Manager with administrator permissions, and then selecting "Android SDK Platform Tools", and installing/updating it (if it is already installed, try uninstalling and reinstalling).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I came across that page and tried pretty much everything, but with no success.

quote:

Try opening your SDK Manager with administrator permissions, and then selecting "Android SDK Platform Tools", and installing/updating it (if it is already installed, try uninstalling and reinstalling).

I deleted then re-installed that package, and this time I did get the prompt on my phone, but the command line still says that the phone is offline.

Edit: Turns out I was running adb from the wrong folder! Holy poo poo.

hooah fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 11, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, followed the instructions, but it looks like this isn't a good guide to follow for me since I'm running CM10.2 - after boot I just saw a black (although on) screen. Ah well, T-Mobile's 3G speeds are fast enough for me and I'm not doing enough mobile browsing that I feel all that affected by latency.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Ok, followed the instructions, but it looks like this isn't a good guide to follow for me since I'm running CM10.2 - after boot I just saw a black (although on) screen. Ah well, T-Mobile's 3G speeds are fast enough for me and I'm not doing enough mobile browsing that I feel all that affected by latency.

Yeah, that's why I said in the guide stock rooted 4.3. CM 10.2 does actually have the proper settings for LTE, provided you just flash a compatible radio. It's also kinda nice because in CM10.2 you can set an actual toggle for it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tatsujin posted:

Yeah, that's why I said in the guide stock rooted 4.3. CM 10.2 does actually have the proper settings for LTE, provided you just flash a compatible radio. It's also kinda nice because in CM10.2 you can set an actual toggle for it.

Oh, so I should be fine just flashing the radio? Cool! I'll have to give that a spin tomorrow.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Does anyone have the .apk for the latest google talk? Hangouts is horrible.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Oh, so I should be fine just flashing the radio? Cool! I'll have to give that a spin tomorrow.

I am not 100% sure if CM10.2 has all the required changes built-in. This may help as it claims to work fo all 4.2/4.3 ROMs and be a all-in-one solution:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2358931

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gilok posted:

I just got a Note 2 (Sprint) used, and after a year and a half with a Galaxy Nexus I love the signal and the giant battery, but hate the bundled crap so I'm probably going to root.

I flipped back a few pages and a lot of people recommend the Carbon rom. What functionality do I lose if I go for a non-Touchwiz rom? Like, does Carbon support the stylus thing? What makes it so great, and what are the runners-up?

Are there any Touchwiz roms I should look at? There are about a million roms with strange letters attached (MA7, MC2, LK8) in this XDA thread and I'm kind of paralyzed for choice. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go for Paranoid Android like I did on my GNex since the main thing I liked was customizing the home/back button bar and the Note 2 has a dedicated one.

Can someone just treat me like the idiot I am and show me around?

I'm using this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1925402

All the touchwiz bloat is removed, you can add or remove whatever you like, it's solid as a rock and the battery life is insane. It's all I've used. It'll be updated when 4.3 is officially released, as apparently there are some issues with the leak. I'm gonna wait.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Quick question: why would my phone app (aka the actual phone part) be asking me for Superuser permissions? And when I grant it, why does it continue to ask me like every 2 or 3 days?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tatsujin posted:

I am not 100% sure if CM10.2 has all the required changes built-in. This may help as it claims to work fo all 4.2/4.3 ROMs and be a all-in-one solution:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2358931

This worked great. I had to go in and select the T-Mobile LTE APN, but once I did that I get LTE fine.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

madkapitolist posted:

Does anyone have the .apk for the latest google talk? Hangouts is horrible.

Yes. Pm me. I can't find a file host which will take .apk.gz files and I don't want to post my drop box.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I haven't rooted anything since Nexus 1 way back. Is there a reliable bootloader unlock for Galaxy S4? If so, can I just run 4.4 AOSP and call it a day? I don't really care about tweaks and such

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

I haven't rooted anything since Nexus 1 way back. Is there a reliable bootloader unlock for Galaxy S4? If so, can I just run 4.4 AOSP and call it a day? I don't really care about tweaks and such

Depends on the firmware. if it ends in MF3, no.

I just got an S4 on AT&T and it came with the dreaded MF3 firmware. So : my only option was to "Safestrap" and run a 4.2.2 "google play edition" rom.

Edit : not sure what kind of variances in this are on other carrier versions.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 12, 2013

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I am NEVER buying a non-nexus device ever again. I finally got the balls to update my Transformer Prime to CM10.2, and the hoops you have to jump through on a non-nexus device are frustrating. I had already had it unlocked, NVFlash bootloader backed up, and running CM10... but I had to upgrade the bootloader to ASUS's official JB bootloader before trying anything newer.

A few hours of fighting with Windows 8 to load the APX drivers, recognize the device in APX mode, boot to NVFlash, a few soft bricks, a few failed recovery installs, and finally getting a ROM flashed and booting. gently caress this.

The good news is, I think it's all working finally. Android is currently upgrading/optimizing apps.

Seriously. gently caress any device that's not a Nexus.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Edit: Turns out I was running adb from the wrong folder! Holy poo poo.

I didn't think that was possible. For the sake of command-line simplicity (and to guarantee no filename length conflicts) I take adb.exe and its 2 DLL files to the root of a certain partition in my machine. Hasn't ever failed me, as long as I keep making sure to keep my SDK up to date.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Cm on my nexus 4 updated today, and snapchat crashed on launch so I uninstalled it and went to redownload it, but it says I'm not connected to the internet. What do I do? Im posting from the phone so I definitely have internet.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

I am NEVER buying a non-nexus device ever again. I finally got the balls to update my Transformer Prime to CM10.2, and the hoops you have to jump through on a non-nexus device are frustrating. I had already had it unlocked, NVFlash bootloader backed up, and running CM10... but I had to upgrade the bootloader to ASUS's official JB bootloader before trying anything newer.

A few hours of fighting with Windows 8 to load the APX drivers, recognize the device in APX mode, boot to NVFlash, a few soft bricks, a few failed recovery installs, and finally getting a ROM flashed and booting. gently caress this.

The good news is, I think it's all working finally. Android is currently upgrading/optimizing apps.

Seriously. gently caress any device that's not a Nexus.

I only rooted my Transformer Prime with motochopper. I don't know if I can be bothered considering that right now it runs perfectly with 4.1.2 and I removed a lot of bloatware with clean master after rooting. I may try doing a titanium backup and installing a clean google version so I can get 4.4 as soon as it launches.

At the other hand, my S4 (sim free) was ridiculously easy to root, install TWRP revery and making it a google edition (and previously my SGS1).

Nklus
Aug 23, 2005

If you didn't already know, I have an unhealthy obsession with the Joker!

Nerdrock posted:

Depends on the firmware. if it ends in MF3, no.

I just got an S4 on AT&T and it came with the dreaded MF3 firmware. So : my only option was to "Safestrap" and run a 4.2.2 "google play edition" rom.

Edit : not sure what kind of variances in this are on other carrier versions.

My wife has a GS4 with MF3 as well and is hating TouchWiz. Would you recommend this route? Did you use a stock Google Play Edition rom or one of the variants?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Nklus posted:

My wife has a GS4 with MF3 as well and is hating TouchWiz. Would you recommend this route? Did you use a stock Google Play Edition rom or one of the variants?

I used this one here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2356276

It's as stripped down as seemingly humanly possible. Seems to run just fine for me.

My only complaint is that (this may be how stock just operates) bluetooth tethering is MIA, and i can't hide my wifi hotspot.

Just make sure you follow directions to a T. I had WiFi issues until I saw that I had to reflash this jflteatt-MF3 kernel after installing the rom in slot 1.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Has anyone tried this Nexus 5 Camera Mod?

It says that the focus speed is improved but I'm wondering to what degree. I've never felt the need to root an android but maybe it would be worthwhile because the Nexus5 has such an awful focus time it's useless for taking pictures of my baby!

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Jesus Christ I need help. I know less than nothing about Android but I picked up a Moto X from Craigslist because it seemed like an awesome phone and I got a great deal. So I get the phone home, works great and I find an update. Little did I know it was rooted which caused a continuous reboot loop. I finally fixed that after familiarizing myself with fastboot commands by wiping the cache.

So now I'm back up and running and after seeing the issues and knowing it could've been near death I want to return the phone to stock so I can get the 4.4 update ASAP. I followed the following guide to try to do that:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2446515

I followed it to the best of my ability but ran in to trouble when executing the program. It would stop at "2/17 failed partition gpt.bin". Is there some way around this or am I just hosed? It looks like he has Titanium Backup on here. Could that do anything in the restore process?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

I followed it to the best of my ability but ran in to trouble when executing the program. It would stop at "2/17 failed partition gpt.bin". Is there some way around this or am I just hosed? It looks like he has Titanium Backup on here. Could that do anything in the restore process?

Titanium Backup does nothing for your situation. It's a root-only app and only handles backups of apps themselves, not your entire device.

When you went to the FXZ page did you double-check that you grabbed the correct version for your device?

In the event of there being more than 1 FXZ file for a particular carrier, always flash in the newer one. Example: The AT&T Moto X has ATT_XT1058_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-X-17-51_CFC_1FF.xml.zip and ATT_XT1058_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-X-17-54_CFC_1FF.xml.zip. Motorola's got clever device security that prevents downgrading completely.

Also, since you're familiar with fastboot commands, you can just extract the system.img from the zip file and then do 'fastboot flash system system.img'. I think Moto disables "fastboot erase" but it's recommended to try 'fastboot erase system' before doing 'fasboot flash'.

RSDLite is really just a fancy GUI fastboot utility, when all's said and done.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Titanium Backup does nothing for your situation. It's a root-only app and only handles backups of apps themselves, not your entire device.

When you went to the FXZ page did you double-check that you grabbed the correct version for your device?

In the event of there being more than 1 FXZ file for a particular carrier, always flash in the newer one. Example: The AT&T Moto X has ATT_XT1058_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-X-17-51_CFC_1FF.xml.zip and ATT_XT1058_4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-X-17-54_CFC_1FF.xml.zip. Motorola's got clever device security that prevents downgrading completely.

Also, since you're familiar with fastboot commands, you can just extract the system.img from the zip file and then do 'fastboot flash system system.img'. I think Moto disables "fastboot erase" but it's recommended to try 'fastboot erase system' before doing 'fasboot flash'.

RSDLite is really just a fancy GUI fastboot utility, when all's said and done.

I actually tried it with both of those files. However, I didn't try it once I got the phone back up and running again. It also appeared that USB debugging was disabled which I guess could have caused an issue?

I'm not THAT familiar with fastboot commands but I will look in to it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Cm on my nexus 4 updated today, and snapchat crashed on launch so I uninstalled it and went to redownload it, but it says I'm not connected to the internet. What do I do? Im posting from the phone so I definitely have internet.

Phone posting is bad, you miss out out on a lot of stuff.

A few days ago, CM said that it had to update on my Nexus 4. It should only be showing me stable releases, so I got it an installed it and found that snapchat wouldn't launch, so I uninstalled it. I went on the play store and tried to redownload it and the store said I had no connection, despite me being able to post ^ from the phone.

I had a physiology exam yesterday so I forgot about it because I could still use the phone as a phone. This morning though, I googled it and found some stuff about the clock apparently causing it, which sounded like BS but I tried it and nothing. I also tried clearing my google accounts, and settings crashed when I tried to re add them. I tried reinstalling the play store app and that didn't work either.

I thought gently caress it, I'll try revert to the previous CM, so I went to settings and clicked on the button and it rebooted, and now my phone is stuck on the spinning Cyanogen mod logo thing that happens when you reboot the phone. Holding down the power button to turn it off just reboots it. I let it sit for an hour while I drove around and its definitely stuck. I can reboot into recovery but I don't know what I should do with that. I got CM because i wanted to be able to customise the toggles on the drop down menu thing, is there a way I can return the phone to stock and still be able to do that?

E: The phone is still sitting here spinning, and it's getting really hot, I'm worried somethings going to get damaged.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turn it off, boot to recovery, and manually flash whatever version last worked. It may require a clean flash.

Always always always take a nandroid before you flash a ROM update, if you care about the contents of your phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Always always always take a nandroid before you flash a ROM update, if you care about the contents of your phone.
Can't be said enough.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or schedule a nightly Titanium Backup of user apps, then it's not too painful to wipe and start over.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'd forgotten that I even had SuperSU on my phone until it updated yesterday and took back over superuser duties (previously fulfilled by CM's built-in superuser). Now I can't get it to shut up. I can't uninstall it in the normal way since it's a system app, I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I'd forgotten that I even had SuperSU on my phone until it updated yesterday and took back over superuser duties (previously fulfilled by CM's built-in superuser). Now I can't get it to shut up. I can't uninstall it in the normal way since it's a system app, I guess.
SuperSU has an uninstall utility inside itself. You'll need to do that before you can use CM's superuser to then go in and remove it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

SuperSU has an uninstall utility inside itself. You'll need to do that before you can use CM's superuser to then go in and remove it.

There wasn't a remove, but there was something to prepare to change to a different superuser app, so I did that and things seem to be going fine. Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

There wasn't a remove, but there was something to prepare to change to a different superuser app, so I did that and things seem to be going fine. Thanks.
That's the option I meant by "utility". It deletes a file that SuperSU looks for to determine if there's a daemon to run for superuser requests. If that file is present then SuperSU takes over.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

big mean giraffe posted:

Or schedule a nightly Titanium Backup of user apps, then it's not too painful to wipe and start over.

I used to do that, but I don't even bother anymore. Google's backup does a pretty decent job with absolutely zero effort. I'm pretty sure it even backs up some of the app data too so you don't lose progress on your games or have to log into the awful app again. I could be wrong about that last part though.

The only time I've had any issue with it is that I'll sometimes get an app that I only want on my phone restored to my tablet or vice versa.

If you need a rock solid backup because you definitely can't afford to lose any data, TB is still the way to go though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, I'm trying out the 4.4 image on my Nexus 4, but so far stuff is broken: I can't go back to home by hitting the home soft key, and there's nothing in the notification drawer or the QSP. I'll blame this on dirty flashing and try a clean go next.

Edit:
Did a factory reset, then restored non-system apps and data with Titanium Backup (since the Google restore didn't get a lot of app data), and so far everything is working smoothly. I do wish us Nexus 4 owners could have the transparent notification/navigation bars - those are pretty snazzy. I haven't tried installing the GEL yet; maybe tomorrow.

hooah fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Has anyone used PwnMyMoto to root their Droid Maxx and then taken the recent OTA? Can someone point me in the right direction? From what I understand, I need to flash back to stock recovery, unroot and re-enable any disabled apps before the OTA can be applied. I don't know the exact steps to do this though.