Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I've finally just come back to this game after quitting (mostly because of horrific computer problems) right before Last Train to Cairo came out! Have there been any big changes besides the three issues worth of missions I've missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Rincewind posted:

I've finally just come back to this game after quitting (mostly because of horrific computer problems) right before Last Train to Cairo came out! Have there been any big changes besides the three issues worth of missions I've missed?

Breaching Shot / Deadly Aim now have cooldown debuffs just like Short Fuse, so everybody doesn't need to be Pistol/Shotgun anymore. This doesn't apply much if you weren't doing Nightmares.

1.8 brought scenarios, a big repeatable thing, but the game's website would do a faster job of explaining them.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I'm up for chumping nightmare solos if we've figured out how to make it work. The grouping seemed buggy last time.

EDIT: Does everyone have to give themselves the quest and then go into the room as a group?

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

Len posted:

My five minute raid achievement, karma curio, and warchitect costume all gained through less than legit methods say Funcom doesn't care.

You would have easily done them legit by now with minimal effort, Funcom don't care because there is no real reward for doing these achievements. Shame as doing these things is prolly the most fun you can have in the game.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh God, I've so totally forgotten how to play this game I can't even kill the Master's Voice for the very beginning of the Last Train to Cairo mission chain. :smith:

I'm not sure if it's because my builds were garbage, something changed that made my builds garbage, I forgot how my builds work, or what, but this is hard and I keep finding myself wishing that the game just had classes like a normal MMO since I'm too bad at video games to figure this stuff out. :smith:

Is there some kind of guide to builds for morons or something somewhere? I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed trying to come back to my high level character after, like, a year and it's kind of distressing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Get thee to Mumble.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Rincewind posted:

Oh God, I've so totally forgotten how to play this game I can't even kill the Master's Voice for the very beginning of the Last Train to Cairo mission chain. :smith:

I'm not sure if it's because my builds were garbage, something changed that made my builds garbage, I forgot how my builds work, or what, but this is hard and I keep finding myself wishing that the game just had classes like a normal MMO since I'm too bad at video games to figure this stuff out. :smith:

Is there some kind of guide to builds for morons or something somewhere? I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed trying to come back to my high level character after, like, a year and it's kind of distressing.

Hint: you don't kill them with your attacks. There's a reason to first thing you did in the mission was get proximity mines.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Hint: you don't kill them with your attacks. There's a reason to first thing you did in the mission was get proximity mines.

Oh are you kidding me. :negative:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
So some of these nightmare solo events are difficult to platinum even with a full group.

If you manage, you get a mask that makes you look like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

After a hard fought adventure I can now say that I'm a Ghost Buster title away from being a Ghost Buster proper. The reward from The Castle is a goddamn proton pack.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

You can, though. I got my first note fragment from butchering one, dying to his guards, running from the anima well to grab the fragment before the timer expired, and immediately realizing what I was SUPPOSED to do when I saw the next one taking a leisurely and predictable path along the riverbed. Pretty sure I was in all QL<10 greens, sword/hammer solo build, too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Click NM Solo scenario rewards.

:feelsgood:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I really love the look of the Orochi flamethrower. Need more AP to buy abilities for it, though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Marx posted:

So some of these nightmare solo events are difficult to platinum even with a full group.

This is not true. Since I'm apparently the only person who's actually tried Nightmare Solo... solo, having more than one person in Nightmare Solo mode completely messes up the scaling. With two people, there were twice as many mobs. I expect it gets more and more exaggerated.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 13, 2013

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Cheston posted:

This is not true. Since I'm apparently the only person who's actually tried Nightmare Solo... solo, having more than one person in Nightmare Solo mode completely messes up the scaling. With two people, there were twice as many mobs. I expect it gets more and more exaggerated.

The only time I noticed a surplus of mobs was when we were using the method to draw aggro in the hotel. The mobs were flat out ridiculous.

In the mansion and castle? Not really. Some 'spawns' were one or two guys at most.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

Think of it this way, instead of us grinding failure after failure until we platinum it and never do it again we skipped right to the platinum so I never have to do it again.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Cheston posted:

It wasn't even that, the mob amounts were quite manageable. There was an element of luck when it comes to enemy AoE attacks and getting to their location in time. In the instance where we lost us a survivor we had been running from one side of the map to the other. And by running I mean not sprinting without any runspeed buffs in sight.

Getting NM solo platinum is totally going to require the stars to align in your favor unless things get changed.

Len posted:

Think of it this way, instead of us grinding failure after failure until we platinum it and never do it again we skipped right to the platinum so I never have to do it again.

Basically this, the drops suck and the oreo rewards do too.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Len posted:

Plus now we have shiny gloves that are on fire!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Marx posted:

It wasn't even that, the mob amounts were quite manageable. There was an element of luck when it comes to enemy AoE attacks and getting to their location in time. In the instance where we lost us a survivor we had been running from one side of the map to the other. And by running I mean not sprinting without any runspeed buffs in sight.

Getting NM solo platinum is totally going to require the stars to align in your favor unless things get changed.

Basically this, the drops suck and the oreo rewards do too.

What do you mean? 20 Euros for a solo nightmare platinum is totally worth it! Group nightmare platinum is worth 21 for people who don't know.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's group elite platinum, isn't it?

And yeah, at this point I'm not convinced the mob spawns are directly related to bringing more people. Maybe it's randomized to some extent or depends on performance. But the amount of enemies in "solo w/ group" yesterday was comparable to what I usually see in solo elite or the one time I attempted solo nightmare and failed badly.

It was elite group hotel in which the game seemed to spawn inapproriate amounts of mobs, luckily attracted to Hugh's blood shenanigans so we still made platinum. Unfortunately the same strategy doesn't work as well in the mansion.

Regarding the difficulty of solo mode, I always liked challenging solo content in previous MMOs but solo modes are so much fake difficulty, especially with the RNG influence, it stops being fun. Things like being stuck in combat, getting simultaneous spawns splitting up in three directions, filthbombs on main paths, sandstorms crashing clients, it's just too much bullshit, especially if several of these things happen at once.

The random events should make the run more interesting (but then you'd have to give players time to fiddle with the terrible UI in order to prepare, or change builds), not make difficulty swing wildly. Right now there's precious little "adapting to the situation" and a lot of "redo it and hope for better circumstances" in solo modes.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 13, 2013

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Remora posted:

You can, though. I got my first note fragment from butchering one, dying to his guards, running from the anima well to grab the fragment before the timer expired, and immediately realizing what I was SUPPOSED to do when I saw the next one taking a leisurely and predictable path along the riverbed. Pretty sure I was in all QL<10 greens, sword/hammer solo build, too.

I'm going to out myself as really dumb sometimes and admit that it took me MONTHS of running the mission by killing the mobs before I figured out why you got C4. Always perplexed me until I just randomly clicked on it one day and I was all "holy poo poo!"

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

thegodofchuck posted:

I'm going to out myself as really dumb sometimes and admit that it took me MONTHS of running the mission by killing the mobs before I figured out why you got C4. Always perplexed me until I just randomly clicked on it one day and I was all "holy poo poo!"

I didn't know you could C4 them until I ran it with someone else and saw them do it. I had just blade/chaos'd them into oblivion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

I didn't know you could C4 them until I ran it with someone else and saw them do it. I had just blade/chaos'd them into oblivion.

You're drat rights you did. Never stop spinning.

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa
I haven't played since about 3 months after launch.
Is there anything new in Egypy/general I should watch out for?

Anyone else fairly low level and need someone to level with?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

ColonelDimak posted:

I haven't played since about 3 months after launch.
Is there anything new in Egypy/general I should watch out for?

Anyone else fairly low level and need someone to level with?

Egypt is where normal dungeons stop being nice, watch out for idiot pubbie groups. Issue 6 was based in Egypt so there might be mobs that look appitizing, but will actually eat you. There are roaming patrols that will impair you and deagro, not a bug but a Funcom feature. Most of the other changes should be transparent for you; missions added, some bugs fixed, ect.

if you have build, mission or other questions you can ask here, but the best place really is mumble.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Either Herux did something wrong or they stopped the exploit gravy train. Glad you joined us Cheston.

Edit: I was running around outside Venice and found my character model from yesterday I think. Weird.

Len fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 14, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

:drat: Look at these patch notes. Things that have been broke since launch have a fix. Sounds like the Orochi crate just opens now because they finally admitted that it didn't work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

:drat: Look at these patch notes. Things that have been broke since launch have a fix. Sounds like the Orochi crate just opens now because they finally admitted that it didn't work.

Venetian Missile Crisis is now repeatable. REVENGE IS OURS.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Venetian Missile Crisis is now repeatable. REVENGE IS OURS.

Because there's a reason to have more than one rocket launcher?

I'm more curious if that means we can't reset Machine Tyrant anymore.

And why did they up a Kingsmouth mission to a three day cool down? Was there a signet reward bag there I didn't know about or something?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

quote:

Survivors with bear arms are now less likely to become traitors.

THEY HAVE BEAR ARMS? I hope that's the next melee aux weapon!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

THEY HAVE BEAR ARMS? I hope that's the next melee aux weapon!

It's nowhere near as awesome as it should be. When I picked it up I was fully prepared to start using fist weapons all the time because bear arms as a skin would be great. But instead it's just really boring and gives a survivor a gun.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

And why did they up a Kingsmouth mission to a three day cool down? Was there a signet reward bag there I didn't know about or something?
The Uncertainty Principle is the quantum brace mission. Why anyone would want another one of the worst aux weapon, I don't know.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

I think they mostly allowed repeats of those missions so that people could help others with them.

But mainly I'm happy becauseVenetian Missile Crisis kicked everyone's asses when it first became available. Now we can bust in with 10.5 gear and just wreck Phoenician faces.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

One for each skin. :colbert:

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Len posted:

Multiple skins / signets (i.e. a dps signet chainsaw or a hate chainsaw or etc.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

One for each skin. :colbert:

But think of how many purple overdrives you would need. That's what seven of them?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

quote:

Sighing Forest Spirits no longer count towards the Fata Padurii kill count

You poor, poor bastards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Marx posted:

You poor, poor bastards.

Yeah I'm kind of sad I missed that exploit train.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

But think of how many purple overdrives you would need. That's what seven of them?

Just do what I did. Ninja them from goon lair groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What goon lair groups :haw:

• Locked thread