Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

In Jesus's situation I would have just pulled the trigger and drat the consequences. That evil gently caress needs to die. Yeah, maybe someone else would take over his little fiefdom, but more likely they'd collapse without Negan's charisma and psychopathy to keep them in line.

Yeah, I'm with you. That guy is making the zombie apocalypse a mad bummer.

I doubt his gang is capable of stopping one of those million man hordes, so his brutal dictatorship is really for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Caufman posted:

Yeah, I'm with you. That guy is making the zombie apocalypse a mad bummer.

I doubt his gang is capable of stopping one of those million man hordes, so his brutal dictatorship is really for poo poo.

Unspoiled, general character discussion:
Negan's "government" isn't replicable. It's a cult of personality. The Governor's wasn't, really--his people gathered around the title he gave himself and the veneer of civilization and control he and it provided. But the Governor himself was kind of conflicted/divided/fragmenting and not all that personally impressive. Negan, though, is simply an incredibly overwhelming personality at the top of a large pyramid. People gather to him because his group is the strongest and better to join the strong than the weak. And he himself is pretty smart, tactically and so on, though he hides it. But yeah. His system won't build, it'll just pillage, and you can't expand that way forever. So he'll never really help people/humanity survive in the new world--the threat is that he'll destroy those who could.

This was a good issue. spoilers #114:
Jesus seemed to say he didn't kill Negan because if he had, Negan's group would have started fighting immediately, and Hilltop would have lost that fight. They were outgunned and outnumbered. Better to wait and have a chance.

Jesus's speech to Rick--well, I think it made me feel a bit better about Rick. I had never really turned against him, but if someone like Jesus (aka Paul) put that much value on what Rick does, that counts for something. And looking back, I do think Rick's earned it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Negan gives the best speeches.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This isn't TV IV, we don't use spoilers on Wednesday.

I am eagerly anticipating this war, doubly so if they really are going to stick to an expedited shipping schedule.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Anyone else see Ezekiel as a major wild card in this whole thing? I think the coalition of the willing will triumph over Negan, only to fracture due to internal squabbling.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Clearly Jesus will become Judas and stab Rick in the back!

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

threeagainstfour posted:

Anyone else see Ezekiel as a major wild card in this whole thing? I think the coalition of the willing will triumph over Negan, only to fracture due to internal squabbling.

Yeah. Ezekial's probably smart and a good dude--but he and Rick are on SUCH different wavelengths.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I just want to know why the body count for named characters was 0. Corpse count has been too low lately!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Walking Dead 100 Project TPB came out today. Didn't know that was going to be collected. Proceeds go to a good cause and they claim that it won't be reprinted.

http://www.heroinitiative.org/spage.asp?p=107&ti=the+walking+dead+100+project

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Issue 115 out.

Are they still on Namek? I want a fight to the death between Rick and Negan already. Or at least for Negan to get murdered in a hilarious karmic fashion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Studio posted:

I just want to know why the body count for named characters was 0. Corpse count has been too low lately!

I assume there is going to be a huge culling in the coming month. They are doing a 12 part storyline and it looks like the end of the Negan saga

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Anyone else rooting for Negan?

Good god, I love that loving guy and his big swinging dickcopters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy poo poo this would be the best way to end Rick as the main character. No way it'll happen, but watching Rick's group assimilated into the Saviors would make for great comics.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
I want to see to rick killed in this and avenged by a ragtag team of Carl, michonne + tiger + ezkiel, and Andrea. Maybe Carl just rides the tiger.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

goodfuldead posted:

I want to see to rick killed in this and avenged by a ragtag team of Carl, michonne + tiger + ezkiel, and Andrea. Maybe Carl just rides the tiger.

You can see his stripes, but you know he's clean

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

They use a Z horde to siege the factory. I don't understand why they needed an occupied vehicle to knock down the fence (some other method?) and how Rick, assuming himself as some expert on Negan's deprived mind, reasons that he alone is invulnerable to torture and murder inside the factory.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The wording is ambiguous but I figured Rick was going to sacrifice his life to bring in as many zombies in as possible. I don't get what Holly was trying to do, either.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
I'd guess it was to make sure everything went as planned, if the unmanned truck had hit a pothole and swerved into a barricade instead then the huge mob of zombies surrounding Negan's camp would likely screw up whatever else they're going to do.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I like the fake out that this was going to be a siege, when it was really just a huge walker baiting operation. And I love that Negan figured that out immediately.

I can't remember who Holly is, but I enjoy that I really don't know what's going to happen to her. Negan is endearingly inconsistent.

Risky
May 18, 2003

moths posted:

I can't remember who Holly is, but I enjoy that I really don't know what's going to happen to her. Negan is endearingly inconsistent.

Shes the lady Abraham left Rosita for.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Huh, did he draw her substantially younger this issue?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Negan's line about having your making GBS threads pants on was probably one of the best lines in the series ever. I really like Negan and am gonna miss him when they finally kill him off (you know it will happen).

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

syndex posted:

Negan's line about having your making GBS threads pants on was probably one of the best lines in the series ever. I really like Negan and am gonna miss him when they finally kill him off (you know it will happen).

The Governor still lives! Negan can escape! Then in issue 500 they'll team up and destroy The United States of Rick in an epic war that ends the series.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
The Governor is dead bro.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TV Governor.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
Honestly at this point I wish the would all die. Comic cast and TV cast alike.

Hate-O-Tron
Apr 1, 2007

Brain Aged posted:

Honestly at this point I wish the would all die. Comic cast and TV cast alike.

Then why you reading the comics and watching the show, guy?

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
I just told you. I'm waiting for them to all die.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In retrospect I think that the best part of graphic novels is when Herschel and Rick (or was it Herschel and his son?) are in the prison yard farming and they have a theological discussion about whether the zombies prove that god doesn't exist and Herschel has this cool old testament speech about how these could be the seven years of tribulations and the rising of the dead that precede the latter days as prophesied in Ezekiel. That was cool.

Anyone remember what issue that was from?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It was Herschel and his son.

Kirkman has had a few characters debate the theological and philosophical questions the zombies pose to them. Gabriel and Eugene have a memorable one too. Honestly, the main thing that keeps me coming back to this comic is the characters. What a lot of zombie fiction doesn't get, is that the characters and how they react and change in the face of the new world is the interesting part, not "zombies are cool, right?". Kirkman has given us some really memorable characters over the course of the series - especially Rick.

The Governor was a bit of a two dimensional villain in the comics - he was a memorable character, but not half as interesting as Negan is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OldMemes posted:

The Governor was a bit of a two dimensional villain in the comics - he was a memorable character, but not half as interesting as Negan is.

It didn't help that he looked like a pedophile garbage man or something. The bits with his daughter were interesting, though. And he basically served to job to Michonne.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

It didn't help that he looked like a pedophile garbage man or something. The bits with his daughter were interesting, though. And he basically served to job to Michonne.

I will say that I am glad that the TV Governor did not do what the comic one did. That was completely unnecessary

Risky
May 18, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I kind of hope they never try to incorporate Negan into the TV show. They would gently caress him up big time.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Count me in the camp that says I want Negan to win this war and The Walking Dead turns into The Negan show.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was trying to explain Negan to a friend who watches the show, and he was like "I hope they get Eli Roth" and I couldn't disagree.

I'm really enjoying the larger-than-life survivors at this point. Negan and not-George Clinton would probably have gotten the same eyeroll reception Michonne did, but the world keeps getting stranger and it makes for a more interesting world. I really don't know how this arc is going to end.

I've got a hunch Jesus is going to end up in charge of the Saviors in a not especially poetic twist, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

moths posted:

I was trying to explain Negan to a friend who watches the show, and he was like "I hope they get Eli Roth" and I couldn't disagree.

I'm really enjoying the larger-than-life survivors at this point. Negan and not-George Clinton would probably have gotten the same eyeroll reception Michonne did, but the world keeps getting stranger and it makes for a more interesting world. I really don't know how this arc is going to end.

I've got a hunch Jesus is going to end up in charge of the Saviors in a not especially poetic twist, though.

not-George Clinton is doomed since he is sleeping with michonne. I assume its going to end with all three communities in ruins and Rick is going to go back on his road tour of destruction.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

moths posted:

Oh that would be awesome.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

If they follow the comic still we have a long time until we see Negan on the show, if we ever do at all.

My memory starts getting foggy after the prison story when it comes to these books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Brain Aged posted:

If they follow the comic still we have a long time until we see Negan on the show, if we ever do at all.

My memory starts getting foggy after the prison story when it comes to these books.

It would be 50 issues. There is still the cannibals, trip to DC, and Hilltop and Rick taking control of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can see them getting a good chunk of that 50 out of the way in the next half season. There was a lot of issues of just spinning wheels while Kirkman was trying to figure out what to do next during that period.

• Locked thread