Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Does Happy Endings take a while to get good? I got to the episode that ends with them all jazzercising and realized that I was just kind of annoyed by all the characters. Should I stick with it, or is it not for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the cast started gelling in episode 5 or 6. Also the show aired out of order so keep that in mind.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
As a reminder since people mentioned it, we have a not-official-but-somewhat-popular TVIV IRC room!

It's on SynIRC at #SATVIV. You can click this link for more information if you have/want to download an IRC client. If you want to stick to web-based chat, you can just click this handy link!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

User-Friendly posted:

Does Happy Endings take a while to get good? I got to the episode that ends with them all jazzercising and realized that I was just kind of annoyed by all the characters. Should I stick with it, or is it not for me?

It probably depends on what order you're watching it. The network aired the first season out of order and general consensus was that was a smart call since the first few episodes are heavily focused on the relationship fallout. But the series shifts away from that and into a much more balanced wacky ensemble quickly which was the show the network wanted to showcase. So if you watched it in production order, then yes it might take awhile. If you watched it in the order it aired that you should get a sense of it pretty quickly.

I think "Dave and the Dead" is the one where people really started to dig it. Which looking at the show order I think is the next episode for you. So I'd say watch that and then make a call.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, Melissa Rosenberg, writer of all the Twilight films has been announced as the head writer for Netflix's Jessica Jones series.

She also worked on the first 4 seasons of Dexter, so she gets some credit for making the best/least-awful seasons.

zoux posted:

Well I can't wait for this to be way worse than the status quo.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/13/tech/web/netflix-tv-streaming/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Netflix is as much in the data mining business as the entertainment business, so their interface is always going to be built around tracking how long you look at a video's description before you click on it or how far you have to scroll through a list before finding something that interests you than being easy to use and sleek.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rarity posted:

This page is like a How To Guide for ensuring people don't watch that TV show you like.

Well we certainly wouldn't want people to have wrong preconceived notions about Person of Interest and tragically miss out on one of the greatest CBS sci-fi themed procedurals currently on the air now would we. Here let me type out 15 paragraphs extolling the misunderstood virtues of PoI which nobody will read,

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Something I don't think has been mentioned here is one of CinSkinemax's late night programs, THE GIRL'S GUIDE TO DEPRAVITY. With all the pontificating happening around here a little levity is called for, and I promise that the show is an actual comedy that happens to get softcore. The banter is fun, there are clear character arcs that present themselves in the latter half of S01, and even the sex scenes are played as a joke, i.e. the episode where people talking about going to see a screening of THE MATRIX at a small cinema but then it's the promiscuous non-character neighbor and her guy that get it on while doing Matrix moves, boldly and oh so blandly calling out "Neo" and "Trinity". S02 started recently and while it's hardly art, it's hardly mindless smut.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 14, 2013

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Watching X-Files, and, you know, I really love it, but I kind of get irritated by most of the episodes where Mulder and Scully are merely spectators and have little to no influence on the final outcome of a case. Also, The Field Where I Died kind of drops a bombshell in suggesting that in the world of The X-Files, reincarnation is totally a thing, and the souls of Mulder, Scully, Cancer Man, and others are bound together by destiny. Cool idea, but I suspect they did nothing to follow it up and never referenced it again. Please tell me if that's the case (currently partway through season 4, so I wouldn't know).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Spatula City posted:

Watching X-Files, and, you know, I really love it, but I kind of get irritated by most of the episodes where Mulder and Scully are merely spectators and have little to no influence on the final outcome of a case. Also, The Field Where I Died kind of drops a bombshell in suggesting that in the world of The X-Files, reincarnation is totally a thing, and the souls of Mulder, Scully, Cancer Man, and others are bound together by destiny. Cool idea, but I suspect they did nothing to follow it up and never referenced it again. Please tell me if that's the case (currently partway through season 4, so I wouldn't know).

That is a weird thing about the show that I also noticed from watching some of the good episodes lately -- there'll be a lot of episodes where something spooky happens and Mulder comes up with an out there theory and Scully gives a science theory and slowly that science theory gets shown to not be feasible but still they can't really be sure. And then you get the episodes with the very serious plotline about the aliens and how grave and spooky and serious that is.

And then there's just an episode with a genie, just a straight up genie. Mulder knows it's a genie, the genie says she's a genie, Scully seems to accept that it's a genie, just a straight up genie.

And then there's ghosts, not even just like sightings of ghosts, characters who die in the show come back as ghosts and help Mulder and Scully, just straight up ghosts.

Weird.

edit: Oh yeah and there's an episode with a dude who travels through time, and that's just kinda accepted. It's a dude who is old in the future but in his 20s in the show's present time so he travels back to the show's present time. You'd think he'd mention all the stuff from the mytharc that happens since it's kind of a big fuckin deal what will be happening from that mytharc but nope, just a dude who travels through time and people accept that.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 14, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just a heads up for those that may have enjoyed it. Tomorrow new episodes of Alpha House will start airing on Amazon. The first episode is up for free right now. I don't think they others will be free except for Prime users. The loss of Onion News Empire is a downer but I enjoyed Alpha House quite a bit and love John Goodman in pretty much everything.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDBTQCW/

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Did Onion News Empire not get picked up? I seem to remember it did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately not. :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A new season of Burning Love started last night on E!; June Diane Raphael is the bachelorette, and Colin Hanks, Paul Scheer (Raphael's real life husband), Adam Scott, Nick Kroll, Joe Lo Truglio, Rob Huebel, Jerry O'Connell, Adam Brody and Kumail Nanjiani are some of the suitors.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Spatula City posted:

It's important to realise that there is no real, deep, consistent mythos to the X Files universe. Every episode, barring the Aliens Arc and, I guess, the Scully centric christianity ones, essentially takes place in its own universe. You shouldn't regard the appearance of a warewolf or the revelation that reincarnation exists as 'world building'.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

User-Friendly posted:

Also worth noting that it cribs heavily from Seinfeld in that everyone is self-centered, unlikeable and generally only suffered by those around them. The constant riffing on each other is one of the best parts of the show.

Season 1 was uneven, but it really came into is stride in season two and was one of the outstanding comedies for that year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cart posted:

Also worth noting that it cribs heavily from Seinfeld in that everyone is self-centered, unlikeable and generally only suffered by those around them. The constant riffing on each other is one of the best parts of the show.

Season 1 was uneven, but it really came into is stride in season two and was one of the outstanding comedies for that year.
Jane is pretty much awesome :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished the first season of Person of Interest. Those of you who were skeptical should give it an honest go. Yes, Caveziel is mediocre at best, but the plotting more than makes up for him.

A few questions about stuff I missed during my watch through:

-Who is the Zoey person that Finch enlists to help them? I remember her from an earlier episode, but I feel like I may have forgotten how she was originally introduced.
-How was Elias introduced, and why would NYPD think John works for Elias?
-HR is supposed to be the dirty cop structure, and John asked Fusco to infiltrate them, right? How we were introduced to them?
-Who's the lady tracking down The Machine? I seem to recall her from a flashback.

Looking forward to more of Amy Acker. I've crushed on her since Angel. :allears:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 14, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The way that Elias was introduced First as a mystery man who hired someone to steal a box that had the name Elias. He also kills a mobster who killed his mom and the cop who investigated it. Reece and Finch got a teachers number and that teacher was Kenneth Mars. He was being targeted by the russian mob, and at the end of the episode Reece finds out that he is Elias and is trying to unite the five families.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Josh Lyman posted:

Just finished the first season of Person of Interest. Those of you who were skeptical should give it an honest go. Yes, Caveziel is mediocre at best, but the plotting more than makes up for him.

-Who is the Zoey person that Finch enlists to help them? I remember her from an earlier episode, but I feel like I may have forgotten how she was originally introduced.
-HR is supposed to be the dirty cop structure, and John asked Fusco to infiltrate them, right? How we were introduced to them?
-Who's the lady tracking down The Machine? I seem to recall her from a flashback.

Looking forward to more of Amy Acker. I've crushed on her since Angel. :allears:

Did you just skip half the season or something?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Did you just skip half the season or something?
I started watching it more than 2 months ago and a lot of it happened on my second screen/as I was in bed and falling asleep. It's fine, I'll just read the episode summaries on Wikipedia.

edit: v I was going to say that it's difficult to keep track of characters unless you're paying full attention because of its procedural nature. Normally, the bevy of new characters introduced each week would only be for that episode, and you never know if one of them will be part of the larger arc.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 14, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's easy to forget details since the show is so boring.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Josh Lyman posted:

1. Zoe Morgan is a fixer, another term might be freelance crisis management, she uncovers dirt about or for people and gets paid to either leak it out or keep it hidden.
2. The reason people think John works with Elias is because he saved him when they met without knowing who he was, and has then in one or two cases been forced to assists him in order to save another person(like in the baby episode.)
3. HR has technically been around since the start, since its implied thats who Fusco worked for before, but they are named and formally introduced in the ep where John forced Fusco to go undercover.
4. Root is the woman who tried to frame that one unemployed guy for the murder of a politician, you don't see her in ep 13, her intro ep, but you learn her name and know that she knows who Harold is. EDIT: unless you mean Alicia Corwin, she was one of the people who Harold and Nathan sold the machine to, she worked for the NSA before going off the grid.

Feel free to direct any future questions to the poi thread where there's plenty of people who are happy to get you all knowledged up.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 14, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

IRQ posted:

It's barely even a vaguely sci-fi related show at all so no. It is a very good action/procedural with great acting and writing.

The term you're looking for is cyberpunk. That is what PoI is first and foremost. It has become one of the finest examples of the genre at this point.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there no thread for Almost Human? I thought someone made it a while ago but I can't find it now. First episode is this Sunday, I'm getting pretty excited.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mu Zeta posted:

It's easy to forget details since the show is so boring.

You know, I actually like Person of Interest, I just think its massively over hyped for a show that I mainly watch while rendering poo poo at work, but this actually made me laugh out loud.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

VDay posted:

Is there no thread for Almost Human? I thought someone made it a while ago but I can't find it now. First episode is this Sunday, I'm getting pretty excited.

Somebody said they had the first post all ready to go, they were just waiting on posting it until it got closer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Joramun posted:

The term you're looking for is cyberpunk. That is what PoI is first and foremost. It has become one of the finest examples of the genre at this point.

I wouldn't put it up against any of Gibson's novels, especially All Tomorrow's Parties or Spook Country. I guess it's cyberpunk, though that's really in the plotting; if you go by the metric of what very little good cyberpunk has ever existed, most of that source material is far more about telling a poetic character study of humans adapting to new technology, it's usually only bad cyberpunk that tries to tell a more action-oriented story.

I mean, the (no spoiler) plot synopsis for Gibson's latest can be boiled down to "An ex-Valium addict and a retired goth singer search for a clothing designer". Action, there is almost none of (well, there's Fiona and her motorcycle, but that came off more as a wink and she was fairly tangential until the very, very end).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

They are also showing an ep on Monday, does any one know if it's a different episode or an encore of the pilot?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just got to episode 6 of Spartacus' first season.

Welp.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ah yes, I believe Spartacus does not smile for the rest of the season from that point.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Ah yes, I believe Spartacus does not smile for the rest of the season from that point.

Unless he's about to spread Roman cheeks to accept deeper ramming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

They are also showing an ep on Monday, does any one know if it's a different episode or an encore of the pilot?

Its a two night thing where they're showing an episode Sunday and then a new episode Monday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Its a two night thing where they're showing an episode Sunday and then a new episode Monday.

I see. Anything to read into that?

John Oliver is going to be hosting a satirical news talk show on HBO next year.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 14, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So do we yet know if Comedy Central is cool with this and he's gonna get a goodbye segment? Or are they not, and he's just gonna disappear from the Daily Show with maybe a brief comment from Jon?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There are only so many news shows about politics that Comedy Central will be able to fit into their schedule.

The only thing they could have offered was to take over for Stewart (a Conan-Leno-like deal) or something in the weekend.

The real shame is that people won't be able to watch the show online due to it being on HBO, which will ensure it won't have the same kind of reach and effect that Daily Show and Colbert Report do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I see. Anything to read into that?

Its hard to tell what they are thinking considering the show was supposed to start last Monday (the 4th) but they're putting it on their prime Sunday night time slot after football so...

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

Its hard to tell what they are thinking considering the show was supposed to start last Monday (the 4th) but they're putting it on their prime Sunday night time slot after football so...

If I'm remembering right (not american so I could be wrong) a different network did this midseason with Elementary - they aired an additional episode on the sunday and got like twice the regular viewers or something close. Now obviously different circumstances but if more people see the pilot then more people might follow the show.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

MrFlibble posted:

If I'm remembering right (not american so I could be wrong) a different network did this midseason with Elementary - they aired an additional episode on the sunday and got like twice the regular viewers or something close. Now obviously different circumstances but if more people see the pilot then more people might follow the show.

They did it after the Superbowl which is slightly different than just a regular football game (the post-Superbowl slot is generally coveted because it gets the highest ratings of anything in America all year) but I suppose football in general is one of the better lead-ins around now for everything.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

I suppose football in general is one of the better lead-ins around now for everything.

Rome is burning. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Rome is burning. :smith:

It could be worse.

I mean, it could be Cricket.

• Locked thread